Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.
the originalist take is that the 14th amendmend is illegitimate due to former confederate states being disenfranchised during ratification

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

BAE OF PIGS posted:

What? What is he even trying to argue?

The idea is that since the 14th Amendment says that people born in the United States and "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" are citizens, that people who are here illegally are not "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States, since they're breaking the law, therefore ignoring the jurisdiction of the United States. This is, of course, a bullshit argument, as they can be arrested for any other laws they break while here, and can be deported or arrested for being here illegally, so of course they are subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, and basically every legal scholar ever agrees it's bullshit, and has already been ruled on twice by the Supreme Court. But it's still argued by dumbass Conservatives that the "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" part wasn't specifically addressed in those Supreme Court rulings, so it comes up from time to time. It never goes anywhere, and won't this time, but Trump wants to stir up the base, so here we are.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Btw there is no way you can’t be in the USA and not subject to the jurisdiction thereof except for very limited diplomatic instances

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Donald Trump went to Pittsburgh to remember sailor when no one else would :hai:

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Since the president used the constitution as tp we obviously need a new one

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

in fact it never even existed, so practically noone is a citizen

apart from elizabeth warren

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Quotey posted:

the originalist take is that the 14th amendmend is illegitimate due to former confederate states being disenfranchised during ratification

they are correct but too bad !!

they can secede again if they want

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

war on christmas: OVER
card: SIGNED
sailor: REMEMBERED

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 352 days!

dads friend steve posted:

MANY SUCH CASES!

we need a complete and total shutdown of amendments until we can figure out what the hell is going on

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

euphronius posted:

Sorry the infection spread and is terminal

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/ElectProject/status/1057633432673542145

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
have you ever seen a picture of the 14th amendment? how do you know it even exists??????

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

euphronius posted:

Btw there is no way you can’t be in the USA and not subject to the jurisdiction thereof except for very limited diplomatic instances

diplomatic instances like LOCKINH HER THE gently caress SUO

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

BAE OF PIGS posted:

What? What is he even trying to argue?

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

euphronius posted:

Tell that to all the retarded Freemen on the Land

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Al! posted:

have you ever seen a picture of the 14th amendment? how do you know it even exists??????

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

diplomatic instances like LOCKINH HER THE gently caress SUO

:hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai::hai:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

His oblique references to his boat rides is prob the underrated thing about the magabomber.

also, lol

https://twitter.com/tripgabriel/status/1057392485331283968

An Apple A Gay
Oct 21, 2008

i think i saw it one time but maybe it was photoshopped i think

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Looks will have actual democratic vote totals

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

ranting about "anchor babies" has been a thing for conservatives for decades already, not exactly shocking that Trump's stoking fear and hatred of immigrants as his closing midterm message

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

for early not total votes, i assume

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Al! posted:

The constitution is not gold fringed so it's all irrelevant anyway.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

tenderjerk posted:

because its a proper noun and a trademarked name, like xerox or kleenex

at least i assume thats why

I guess so, but they went out of business almost 40yrs ago.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is great news.... for JEB!

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Quotey posted:

Lmao

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

When it says "promote the general welfare" in the preamble it meant "do full communism immediately" many legal scholars agree!

Serf
May 5, 2011

can't shake the feeling that this is paradoxically good for the republicans

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Squizzle posted:

for early not total votes, i assume

yeah I can see how the context with the hashtag isn't 100% clear, but I'm pretty sure those states have outpaced their 2014 early vote totals already, not their 2014 total votes.

I think if we see more and more states broaden early voting and absentee and mail voting, though, that "wow so many early votes!" metric will mean less and less. Waiting until actual election day to vote will be less common. I voted two or three weeks ago.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Serf posted:

literally every single old has voted twice in this election

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
So dumb rear end thinks that people here illegally are not subject to the laws of the United States?

Seems like an argument you wouldn't want to make, but our president is a bigly idiot, so here we are.

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

euphronius posted:

secession is also unconstitutional! can't you people respect the system!?

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

thrawn527 posted:

The idea is that since the 14th Amendment says that people born in the United States and "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" are citizens, that people who are here illegally are not "subject to the jurisdiction" of the United States, since they're breaking the law, therefore ignoring the jurisdiction of the United States. This is, of course, a bullshit argument, as they can be arrested for any other laws they break while here, and can be deported or arrested for being here illegally, so of course they are subject to the jurisdiction of the United States, and basically every legal scholar ever agrees it's bullshit, and has already been ruled on twice by the Supreme Court. But it's still argued by dumbass Conservatives that the "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" part wasn't specifically addressed in those Supreme Court rulings, so it comes up from time to time. It never goes anywhere, and won't this time, but Trump wants to stir up the base, so here we are.

Would this allow all non u.s. people charged by the united states with anything to argue they aren't under u.s. jurisdiction

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Many legal scholars agree Trump is a loving idiot.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

DiscountDildos posted:

When it says "promote the general welfare" in the preamble it meant "do full communism immediately" many legal scholars agree!

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Lol trump deleted the Pittsburgh tweet

dads friend steve
Dec 24, 2004

Remember when the administration fought tooth and nail to force a pregnant illegal immigrant to give birth rather than have an abortion, and then wanted to immediately deport her after delivery. Good poo poo

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Serf posted:

Hashbrown red wave baby

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Serf posted:

we are all permanently scared by 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Quotey posted:

secession is also unconstitutional! can't you people respect the system!?

Lincoln said so

I don’t agree

secession seems fine to me

• Locked thread