Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Also, you may be having some issues with edge highlighting the black, but the rest of the mini looks pretty sweet. I like the color transitions on the tail segments and the contrast of the green eyes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Bucnasti posted:

I use Apoxie for bases and small terrain pieces. It's light gray, very rigid when fully cured, and I think it takes to sanding pretty well, but I haven't had many occasions to sand it. It also cleans up and smooths with water until it sets. They used to only sell it on eBay, but now you can find it on Amazon.

Yeah, I have some Apoxie for bases too. I like it for bigger stuff, but there's something "off" about the texture for little things.

I suppose another option would be to keep using ProCreate and seal it somehow once I'm done with an area. Maybe gloss varnish? Has anyone tried something like that?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Apoxie can kind of roughly 'tear' if you try to work it too much, but mix it with at least 1/3rd green stuff and you can get the best of both worlds. I use it for duplicating bits with blue stuff so it can grab detail better and but still cure hard.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Thanks for the tips guys.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Mugaaz posted:

Need some help with edge highlighting. I struggle with this alot. I want to do a black armor scheme, but that will require a ton of edge highlighting and I am just not very good at it. I think the biggest problem I am getting is getting the paint the exact right consistency to go on easily without being too thin to control, and then loading the brush right to be able to apply it smoothly without it getting out of control. It just seems to incredibly fiddly. My brush control feels ok tbh, but getting the paint to apply right is a nightmare.

Have you tried flow improver? I use a 10:1 mixture of water/liquitex flow improver and it helps a ton making the paint flow off the brush when doing thin lines. Of course if you use too much or press down too hard the paint will flood everywhere...

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Avenging Dentist posted:

Aside from ProCreate, what putties do folks like for sculpting (not just gap-filling)? Ideally, I'd like something neutral-colored, fairly stiff, and sandable; but really, I'll take any suggestions. I have a feeling that the ProCreate formulation is behind the problems I'm having with sculpting stuff (cured putty just disintegrates after handling it for a while, i.e. when sculpting other areas).

Milliput can be challenging to work with, but nearly indestructible when cured. Try the Superfine one, it sands really nicely.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So for my Space Marines, I wanna make a LT. But in wanna stat them as a standard LT so they can have a jump pack, plasma pistol and the Teeth of Terra In game terms my plan is to deep strike her along side a squad or two of Reivers, but I want her to look consistantly with the rest of an army that will be all Primarius Marines.

So the plan for the model is to build her as a Reiver. I just have to get the weapons for her. I know I can get a chainsword from the primaris blood angel spru, but what's a good source for a plasma pistol for a primarus marine.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Have you tried flow improver? I use a 10:1 mixture of water/liquitex flow improver and it helps a ton making the paint flow off the brush when doing thin lines. Of course if you use too much or press down too hard the paint will flood everywhere...

Have just been using water, but this is something worth trying. Will try.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Failson posted:

Milliput can be challenging to work with, but nearly indestructible when cured. Try the Superfine one, it sands really nicely.

I've been meaning to try Milliput, so this is enough to push me over the edge and buy yet another putty!

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
If you're ever feeling a paintjob is not up to snuff, just put the model on a table and look at it from three or four feet away.

It does wonders. I do this a lot.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Calling this guy done, edge highlight didn't turn out great. Mark it down as a learning experience.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Mugaaz posted:

Calling this guy done, edge highlight didn't turn out great. Mark it down as a learning experience.

Looks great, black is a pain.

x-posting:

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Nice

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I painted some Orks for Orktober!

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I'm working with milliput for the first time and I'm having issues.

I'm using the superfine and I hear it's supposed to cure rock hard and be fileable. It's staying soft enough that I can make a dent easily with my fingernail days after mixing. I'm using a 1:1 ratio, is there something else I'm supposed to do?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Finished the two slave worms.

Shot of the entire group.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Those newish plague Marine models got me into hams and my lord they are fun to paint. I'm terrible at doing it but having a blast along the way instead of just feeling poo poo about how garbage everything looks.

Anyway here's a shot of my base layers and a wash. On to highlights next but I'm super scared! :ohdear:

Any tips for highlighting gross tentacles?

e:lets not talk about that missing line work on his back

queef anxiety fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Oct 31, 2018

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

The Oath Breaker's about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!
Honestly, one of the best and easiest things to do with gross tentacles is to brush on some 'Ard Coat (or any gloss varnish) after you finish and seal the rest of the model. Just make 'em glisten!

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Any opinions on Army Painter metallics compared to PP/GW?

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

S.J. posted:

Any opinions on Army Painter metallics compared to PP/GW?

I like them more then Games Workshops stuff, but I haven't used PP's.

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

BlackIronHeart posted:

Honestly, one of the best and easiest things to do with gross tentacles is to brush on some 'Ard Coat (or any gloss varnish) after you finish and seal the rest of the model. Just make 'em glisten!

oooh glistening sounds fun

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Floppychop posted:

So I'm working with milliput for the first time and I'm having issues.

I'm using the superfine and I hear it's supposed to cure rock hard and be fileable. It's staying soft enough that I can make a dent easily with my fingernail days after mixing. I'm using a 1:1 ratio, is there something else I'm supposed to do?

That's strange, I've used regular rather than superfine but it's always rock hard after curing overnight. It's possible you got a bad batch or something. Or maybe superfine just takes that long.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
Sounds like not enough hardener.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
How heavily do you folks thin Scale75 stuff for airbrushing? I feel like I was nearly 50/50 paint to additives and I still had to shoot it at a way higher PSI than I normally do.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

grassy gnoll posted:

How heavily do you folks thin Scale75 stuff for airbrushing? I feel like I was nearly 50/50 paint to additives and I still had to shoot it at a way higher PSI than I normally do.

What size nozzle are you using?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

grassy gnoll posted:

A lot, poo poo's thick. I use a mix of flow aid and thinner, and more than I use on basically any other brand.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

grassy gnoll posted:

About 2:3 flow improver to paint plus water from the brush to mix.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have an Amazon link to a good deal on magnets? Looking for a variety of sizes, for magnetizing Dreadnought arms, mainly, but also some other stuff. Not infantry, for the time being.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Cat Face Joe posted:

What size nozzle are you using?

.5mm, the widest I've got. I'm guessing from the other responses it's just thick as mud and I need to practice spraying it more.

bonds0097
Oct 23, 2010

I would cry but I don't think I can spare the moisture.
Pillbug
I do 1 : 3 : 1 ratio of AB Thinner, Flow Improver and paint when using Scale 75 on my Badger 105.

Even thinner if I'm painting over zenithal.

Which in practice means I use very little paint and it's gonna last me forever.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

Anyone have an Amazon link to a good deal on magnets? Looking for a variety of sizes, for magnetizing Dreadnought arms, mainly, but also some other stuff. Not infantry, for the time being.

I use a dude on ebay.ca named nexusnoah. https://www.ebay.ca/usr/nexusnoah

Not sure if he's any use to people outside canada or not.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

grassy gnoll posted:

.5mm, the widest I've got. I'm guessing from the other responses it's just thick as mud and I need to practice spraying it more.

Yeah, you gotta thin the gently caress out of it but it's so pigment dense it should still cover well.

TheBigAristotle posted:

If you're in the US it's K&J.

https://www.kjmagnetics.com

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Is there a good tool or method for cleaning the airbrush needle?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

panascope posted:

I just use a toothbrush.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Err not the needle, I mean the tiny nozzle at the tip.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

panascope posted:

Same thing. I have a toothbrush on the desk, dip it in water, scrub and go.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

For my patriot 105 I force water through it both ways since I have a bottle with a small nozzle. If I have to scrub out dried paint I use a toothpick since it won't scratch.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

panascope posted:

Teeny tiny bottle brushes. They are sold in sets of 5 on a keyring at places like Princess Auto and Harbour Freight.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

panascope posted:

If you don't need it done immediately, toss it in the airbrush cleaner or some acetone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
I use an airbrush cleaning needle that seems specifically designed for cleaning nozzles. It's a god send.