Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Traitorous Leopard posted:

So what absolutely shits on Golgari Midrange now cause that's all I seem to queue into on Arena rn

Play UWR with Lava Coils and Settles and some Syncopates. I've never lost to it if my draw was remotely functional, and most of my non-functional draws would have worked if I'd had better lands instead of having to play like 10 basics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

ShadeofBlue posted:

I don't think Brigand was ever actually in a 5-0 list published by WotC, but it was the main spec. target to come out of legacy popeye stompy, a bad pirates based legacy deck that kind of randomly exploded in popularity when a few semi-pros thought it would be funny to claim they got good results with it:

https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/popeye-stompy/

I don't think it was an intentional attempt to pump up the card's price or anything, I think they just thought it would be funny (it was).

the best part about this was the mtgfinance parasites pumping up the cost

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

So what absolutely shits on Golgari Midrange now cause that's all I seem to queue into on Arena rn

A lot of the value train of golgari midrange folds to control- the 5-color lich deck that did well was kinda based on a metagame loaded with golgari midrange.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I'm trying to be clever and run Golgari aggro instead and it's not quite working.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

As powerful as it is, I don't know if golgari can be a deck with literally every other deck in the format pre-sideboarding against it. I was working on G/W tokens before we realized they were bad and I have a couple mythic wildcards. Should I finish my set of History of Benalia or work on getting 4 Arclight Phoenixes? also have a couple March of the Multitudes if there's ever a 3 color deck that needs that. Basically what deck should I switch to now that my main deck has been basically banned?

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Play UWR with Lava Coils and Settles and some Syncopates. I've never lost to it if my draw was remotely functional, and most of my non-functional draws would have worked if I'd had better lands instead of having to play like 10 basics.

Definitely considering just giving in and pulling the trigger on some Teferis. Seems like the safest craft at this point. I'm paralyzed by indecision cause I've got enough mythics/rares to build one of pretty much any meta deck right now but I'd feel like a real chump if I all-in'd on Boros Angels only for them to get countered out of the meta.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Buffis posted:

Took Creeping Chill Dredge to the LGS modern event, and destroyed everything for a easy 4-0 victory.
It feels a bit broken.

Felt a bit broken when I played against it, too (Affinity, but not even a nut draw could beat that bullshit).

Like incredibly loving unfair, I'd rather play against Lantern, and I used to not mind Dredge.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Panzeh posted:

A lot of the value train of golgari midrange folds to control- the 5-color lich deck that did well was kinda based on a metagame loaded with golgari midrange.

I looked at that list today and I legitimately can't imagine that deck ever beating a deck that draws 2 blue sources and any third land.

Definitely considering just giving in and pulling the trigger on some Teferis. Seems like the safest craft at this point. I'm paralyzed by indecision cause I've got enough mythics/rares to build one of pretty much any meta deck right now but I'd feel like a real chump if I all-in'd on Boros Angels only for them to get countered out of the meta.

Boros Angels has always looked like a really bad deck to me but I'm also saying that from the perspective of someone whose main deck is 40% answers to them playing 1 mediocre threat every turn. Pretty much the same reason I feel so favored against BG except they at least have a recursion engine that can be hard to beat if they get it going. Angels just has... angels that die to proverbial Doom Blades.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I beat dredge tonight only because I had leylines. Hate that kind of gameplay.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

A Moose posted:

As powerful as it is, I don't know if golgari can be a deck with literally every other deck in the format pre-sideboarding against it. I was working on G/W tokens before we realized they were bad and I have a couple mythic wildcards. Should I finish my set of History of Benalia or work on getting 4 Arclight Phoenixes? also have a couple March of the Multitudes if there's ever a 3 color deck that needs that. Basically what deck should I switch to now that my main deck has been basically banned?

History decks including GW tokens are fine. Golgari will be fine once it's not public enemy number one. Izzet drakes is pretty good but starting to get targeted a bit.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

ShaneB posted:

I beat dredge tonight only because I had leylines. Hate that kind of gameplay.

Welcome to modern, you must be new here.

Traitorous Leopard
Jul 20, 2009

suicidesteve posted:

Boros Angels has always looked like a really bad deck to me but I'm also saying that from the perspective of someone whose main deck is 40% answers to them playing 1 mediocre threat every turn. Pretty much the same reason I feel so favored against BG except they at least have a recursion engine that can be hard to beat if they get it going. Angels just has... angels that die to proverbial Doom Blades.

Yea I have a sneaking suspicion it’s gonna start to wane. Mostly because it looks like a ton of fun to play to me and that’s a kiss of death. On the flip side, there is some overlap there with some Selesnya stuff and I’d need the lands anyway for Jeskai...

Still just gonna make Teferi :v

I’ll at least have enough mythics left to make a playset of Arclights and build the Izzet deck too which is great cause Izzet rules

Panzeh posted:

That deck did look pretty neat, and of course I’ve naturally opened three Chance for Glory too...

I may just jump on the Golgari train as well since I’ve lucked into three-of both the Golgari duals

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

suicidesteve posted:

Welcome to modern, you must be new here.

It's not usually that obvious

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Upside to BoO, it encourages playing weird rogue decks because while you can make pre-board preparations for common main decks, you can't do poo poo against a surprise Grixis Pirates deck.

I may have just lost to a Grixis Pirates deck.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

suicidesteve posted:

Boros Angels is soft to control decks, but part of the reason the deck is good is that the big threats don't die to doom blade. Vraska's Contempt is the only spell that deals with Phoenix, Aurelia, Lyra and Shalai, and you are mostly trading even on mana. Aurelia in particular is almost impossible to kill, she dodges Lava Coil, Cast Down, Justice Strike and potentially Seal Away. It also lives through Find//Finality.

Of course, if you can counter or otherwise deal with a few early threats and land a planeswalker, the deck is a joke. It also has trouble not over committing into a wrath, especially if it doesn't draw adantos.

It's an OK deck, it just feels so fair compared to the B/R decks from last season that had such diversity in their threats. There's no Hazoret or Chandra to punish you for having the wrong cards in the matchup.

e: I will say this format has a deck that appeals to almost everyone, from janky lich's mastery combo to turbofog, tempo decks, aggro, control, all kinds of midrange and whatever the hell you classify the Phoenix deck as.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 31, 2018

elcapitanqwerty
Apr 22, 2005

Some do. Most don't. I do.
NYC goons, I'm in the Upper East Side but would be v down to congregate anywhere there are 6+ folks (though I can also accommodate eight). My cube is here: http://www.cubetutor.com/viewcurve/69788 and I would be happy to play most any Sunday (save this coming one because RAW Wine), but am also v down to draft a current set casually or draft someone else's cube. elcapitanqwerty@gmail.com

number one pta fan
Sep 6, 2011

my work is my play play
every day pay day
Why is Grixis bad? I keep hearing it's bad but I'm mopping floors with it on Arena. Does it just feel good because I'm playing it against a weak field?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

number one pta fan posted:

Why is Grixis bad? I keep hearing it's bad but I'm mopping floors with it on Arena. Does it just feel good because I'm playing it against a weak field?

It's not bad, it's just worse than Jeskai Control.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

PMush Perfect posted:

Upside to BoO, it encourages playing weird rogue decks because while you can make pre-board preparations for common main decks, you can't do poo poo against a surprise Grixis Pirates deck.

I made a dimir pirates deck work but i have no idea how to make a grixis pirates deck at all reliable other than making one of the colors a very light splash. I imagine it involves the dudes that drop treasures but they kinda work against the aggro nature of the good pirate cards.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I play Golgari myself but understand this sentiment. Tocatli Honour Guard shits on it for sure. Don't know about decks, I had issues against a deck built to enable Blood Operative, which nabs your best cards in the yard, but I don't know if there is enough constructed playable Surveil to really do that.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

ShaneB posted:

It's not usually that obvious

I've never needed to run Leyline to beat Dredge, I just needed them to not nut draw. Now any hand they keep guarantees they outrace me. Crippling indeed.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
:siren:NYC Goon Meet Up Thread:siren:

So, enough people seem to be interested in a semi-regular meet up. Post in the thread and let’s get this train rolling.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

It is, and Standard is a low-power cesspool with good draw filtering.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm finding a lot of red.decs run Firey Cannonade as a sweeper then "Oops" when they realize that incidentally most of the creatures in my tempo deck are pirates.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Good point. One of the top decks is 50% rejects from previous standards. (GB)

(But it's not really a bad thing. Kaladesh was a bad thing.)

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is the best standard in years and low power is not a relevant metric. You may as well play vintage if objective power level is what you want in a format.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
My golgari midrange deck runs carnage tyrants because gently caress blue control decks.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

RC Cola posted:

My golgari midrange deck runs carnage tyrants because gently caress blue control decks.

Carnage Tyrants are going to be maindeck in everything with green mana before long.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Nephzinho posted:

Carnage Tyrants are going to be maindeck in everything with green mana before long.

Good. gently caress teferi decks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I had all four Carnage Tyrants in hand vs. a Jeskai Control deck yesterday, that was extremely satisfying.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

zoux posted:

I had all four Carnage Tyrants in hand vs. a Jeskai Control deck yesterday, that was extremely satisfying.

How do they deal with one?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Double Deafening Clarion for the first two, couldn't deal with the third, never dropped the fourth. They can use Cleansing Nova too or Settle the Wreckage if you aren't careful.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

RC Cola posted:

How do they deal with one?

Cleansing Nova or Settle the Wreckage

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I made a dimir pirates deck work but i have no idea how to make a grixis pirates deck at all reliable other than making one of the colors a very light splash. I imagine it involves the dudes that drop treasures but they kinda work against the aggro nature of the good pirate cards.
I think one of them was a splash specifically for Beckett, but it's hard to say whether that was red or blue.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

zoux posted:

Double Deafening Clarion for the first two, couldn't deal with the third, never dropped the fourth. They can use Cleansing Nova too or Settle the Wreckage if you aren't careful.

I tend to just keep 1 on the board even if i have multiple because every answer for it deals with multiples as well as singles, unless you're against Edlest reborn or Plague.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Rinkles posted:

Good point. One of the top decks is 50% rejects from previous standards. (GB)

(But it's not really a bad thing. Kaladesh was a bad thing.)

Even Maro is admitting on his blog that Kaladesh was hosed up. That's how bad it is gotten for the most broken set since Mirrodin.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Nephzinho posted:

I tend to just keep 1 on the board even if i have multiple because every answer for it deals with multiples as well as singles, unless you're against Edlest reborn or Plague.

Yeah same except when I'm holding all four. I put two on the board so I could threaten his Teferi and his face at the same time.

GoutPatrol posted:

Even Maro is admitting on his blog that Kaladesh was hosed up. That's how bad it is gotten for the most broken set since Mirrodin.

Kaladesh was OP, underP or something else?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

zoux posted:

Overpowered and parasitic to the extreme

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

zoux posted:

just look at this bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Honestly, WOTC just shouldn't make artifact or colorless blocks.........like ever. They are always super overpowered, end up getting a bunch of cards banned, and well..................their initial wow factor wears off very quickly when everyone is playing the exact same deck until it gets banned out of standard.