Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

https://twitter.com/biz/status/1057363642855780352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Making the world a better place! Maybe gab should require that Nazis use the magic word when engaging in hate speech too.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mystes posted:

Making the world a better place! Maybe gab should require that Nazis use the magic word when engaging in hate speech too.

"gas all the jews, please" already fits in 160

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I’m no cardiologist but 50bpm while sleeping (which is basically what the Apple Watch uses as “resting heart rate”) seems kind of high.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
gab’s word limit should be 14.

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

President Beep posted:

its character limit should be 0. get those bozos outta there. cmon.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

loving lmbo here

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

President Beep posted:

88 characters, right?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I’m no cardiologist but 50bpm while sleeping (which is basically what the Apple Watch uses as “resting heart rate”) seems kind of high.

as mentioned dude needs to lay off the coke

aardvaard
Mar 4, 2013

you belong in the bog of eternal stench

pseudorandom name posted:

also 40% off on steam if you prefer a store without a history of transphobic social media

and steam is run by nazis or nazi-adjacents. it all sucks. video games were a mistake.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

hobbesmaster posted:

it has kept their lights on for the last 15 years

also go play the new unreal tournament right now if you want its alpha is f2p https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/

The new UT is abandonware.

aardvaard posted:

and steam is run by nazis or nazi-adjacents.

It's not.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
go play fortnite if you want to experience what the ut team has been working on, lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
which is the least pos gam engine these days anyway? id's?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

aardvaard posted:

and steam is run by nazis or nazi-adjacents. it all sucks. video games were a mistake.

Uh, what?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

iospace posted:

Uh, what?

gabe's knives? they're for carving up jews

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Truga posted:

your game engine is a pos

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Truga posted:

id can be pretty loving awfully unoptimized, and often is. when its good, it's great, but most often its annoying mediocre performance at best. i would say Unity, like yheah it has it's problems but its extremely accessible, usually runs fine, versatile, and basically free.

it's really just too hard to put anything on an engine now-a-days and really mostly on devs to make it right. like one of the most silkiest and good looking poo poo, Mad Max, was on some in-house Apex Engine or something, Metro games use some weird ukranian 4a engine poo poo that looks pretty nice and runs well, and like Prey ran and really used apparently Cry loving engine really well. Nu doom was great on idtech, but Wolf TNC was p disapointing performance wisse and like Dishonored 2 ran like absolute rear end on idtech

Xaris fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 31, 2018

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

aardvaard posted:

ah,

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

forums cancer is so obnoxious

-- post signed

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

id can be pretty loving awfully unoptimized, and often is. when its good, it's great, but most often its annoying mediocre performance at best. i would say Unity, like yheah it has it's problems but its extremely accessible, usually runs fine, versatile, and basically free.

it's really just too hard to put anything on an engine now-a-days and really mostly on devs to make it right. like one of the most silkiest and good looking poo poo, Mad Max, was on some in-house Apex Engine or something, Metro games use some weird ukranian 4a engine poo poo that looks pretty nice and runs well, and like Prey ran and really used apparently Cry loving engine really well. Nu doom was great on idtech, but Wolf TNC was p disapointing performance wisse and like Dishonored 2 ran like absolute rear end on idtech

yeah that makes sense

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Cocoa Crispies posted:

there are so loving many weworks and some of them are huge

the northern of the ones in Miami Beach is like three floors; presumably each floor has a hall monitor or something?

also they bought meetup earlier this year so that's probably another database skin that has a billion employees for some inexplicable reason

My company has a floor in one of the south miami locations. Its pretty nice but idk how they make money

(I guess they dont)

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

self-driving buildings as a service (of things)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
there are 3 main engines today:

if you are hobbyist or small time, unity. it's good enough for anything that isn't a hardcore manshooter or open world monstrosity and easy to work with

if you are a large studio with aaa budget, unreal 4. can do anything with enough money and manpower

if you are affiliated with bethesda/zenimax, idtech. they don't license it any more

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

where my godot hipsters at

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

haveblue posted:

if you are hobbyist or small time, unity. it's good enough for anything that isn't a hardcore manshooter or open world monstrosity and easy to work with

if you are a large studio with aaa budget, unreal 4. can do anything with enough money and manpower

if you are affiliated with bethesda/zenimax, idtech. they don't license it any more

also frostbite if you're part of ea, anvil or some heavily customized dunia (far cry 2) derivative or snowdrop if you're part of ubi

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

game friend is making is workin' alright on UE4 and she said unity didn't easily let her do the stuff she wanted so :shrug:

idk how much of that is true and how much comes down to her not actually being able to write code - she's super duper dyslexic and the characters just sorta go all over the place. she's gotta use that graphical block-based programming system (in UE4 it's called Blueprints) which actually... isn't half bad, really. i plan on coming in behind her and converting to C++ and optimizing stuff she's done with since some of that poo poo really shouldn't be done with blueprints but for now it's workin' pretty good. she can intuitively understand these massive blueprints she's made and she's getting really good at actually programming with them efficiently and cleanly so it's not devolved into a tangled mess of nonsense.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Oct 31, 2018

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Shame Boy posted:

game friend is making is workin' alright on UE4 and she said unity didn't easily let her do the stuff she wanted so :shrug:

the best game engine is the one that lets you make your game.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

idk how much of that is true and how much comes down to her not actually being able to write code - she's super duper dyslexic and the characters just sorta go all over the place. she's gotta use that graphical block-based programming system (in UE4 it's called Blueprints) which actually... isn't half bad, really. i plan on coming in behind her and converting to C++ and optimizing stuff she's done with since some of that poo poo really shouldn't be done with blueprints but for now it's workin' pretty good. she can intuitively understand these massive blueprints she's made and she's getting really good at actually programming with them efficiently and cleanly so it's not devolved into a tangled mess of nonsense.

using blueprints to build the game and rewriting only performance critical parts in c++ doesn't sound like a bad idea, especially if there is a way to profile blueprints to identify the really costly ones

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Don't play video games

pretty princess
Jan 3, 2010

-|-
/ \

haveblue posted:

1 day, source 2 will be released.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

keyboard vomit posted:

Don't play video games

too late

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

keyboard vomit posted:

Don't play video games

luckily we're actually talking about writing video games for once

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

keyboard vomit posted:

Don't play video games

imma go with this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
bideo games

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Really, to get to the root of it,

Dont computer

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

luckily we're actually talking about writing video games for once

in gamefriend's case, she grew up deeply analyzing the gameplay of games she super liked because she really enjoys picking stuff apart. she's got tons of notebooks from when she was younger where she broke apart everything that worked, figured out what didn't, what needed tweaking, exactly how she'd make it better or change it etc. her goal is to build the game she "always wanted to play as a kid but never existed." she's never been able to actually do anything with that until lately, now that her situation's improved (her husband died a couple years ago and she was homeless a few years before that and yeesh).

she's heavily invested in making it a reality, and even though it's still very early in the development phase it's already incredibly good, everyone that's taken a look at it or played around with it has been really amazed. she managed to teach herself physics and has been hyper-focused on controls and movement and HUD elements for like a year+ now, trying to get that perfect so the game feels good to play. she's even been pulling up research on human interfaces (mostly ones that the military did about fighter jets), research on how people analyze visual information and control schemes and stuff, and adjusting the HUD and controls using that poo poo. i'm super impressed, she's rad :3:

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Poniard posted:

Really, to get to the root of it,

Dont computer

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

keyboard vomit posted:

Don't play video games

i played god of war today :twisted:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm going to try to replay SOMA because it's scary but I won't have a lot of time today

haveblue fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 31, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Shame Boy posted:

in gamefriend's case, she grew up deeply analyzing the gameplay of games she super liked because she really enjoys picking stuff apart. she's got tons of notebooks from when she was younger where she broke apart everything that worked, figured out what didn't, what needed tweaking, exactly how she'd make it better or change it etc. her goal is to build the game she "always wanted to play as a kid but never existed." she's never been able to actually do anything with that until lately, now that her situation's improved (her husband died a couple years ago and she was homeless a few years before that and yeesh).

she's heavily invested in making it a reality, and even though it's still very early in the development phase it's already incredibly good, everyone that's taken a look at it or played around with it has been really amazed. she managed to teach herself physics and has been hyper-focused on controls and movement and HUD elements for like a year+ now, trying to get that perfect so the game feels good to play. she's even been pulling up research on human interfaces (mostly ones that the military did about fighter jets), research on how people analyze visual information and control schemes and stuff, and adjusting the HUD and controls using that poo poo. i'm super impressed, she's rad :3:

she sounds extremely cool.