Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

JcDent posted:

By the way, a friend recently noted that the mulched cotton filling was terrible for when you got wounded, since it was by that time dirty and very much willing to foul up the wound. Confirm/deny?

I don’t know about mulched cotton being better or worse but clothing fragments being carried into the would in general have been a huge problem ever since penetrating wounds were a thing. My understanding is that GSW is especially bad about it compared to stabbings. Your average uniform in the field isn’t exactly clean either, which makes the issue worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Ok I’ll be that guy and ask...why? Did war time Nazi Germany have an obsession with collecting lovely porcelain and the SS saw it as a money making opportunity?

Because crappy sad-eyed puppy figurines speak to the very essence of what it means to be German - they are a part of the culture our soldiers are bringing to the savage asiatic hordes!

No, I am not joking.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Solaris 2.0 posted:

Ok I’ll be that guy and ask...why? Did war time Nazi Germany have an obsession with collecting lovely porcelain and the SS saw it as a money making opportunity?

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

The whole reason they were making porcelain figurines too was because Himmler thought they were the ideal of Aryan art. That child and sad dog's only purpose was to "awaken" the "racial soul" of the Aryan people. They, like most of that type of stuff such as holding a Thing, were seen as a joke by even devout Nazis. They surprisingly didn't succeed in their mission and they didn't even sell, making them an even worse waste of resources.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Phanatic posted:

The sights on my Luger go out to 800 meters. Pretty sure that’s totally just optimism.

Exactly.

During WW2 the Soviet ammo being handed out to the average grunt during the first two years of the war was such poor quality, it would have been lucky to hit out past 250 meters.

There was some detail about it in Russia's War: A History of the Soviet Effort by Overy

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Cessna posted:

Because crappy sad-eyed puppy figurines speak to the very essence of what it means to be German - they are a part of the culture our soldiers are bringing to the savage asiatic hordes!

No, I am not joking.

It was a Big loving Deal when some Saxons figures out how to make it and set up for Meissen porcelain. Before that most of it was imported from China and making it in Europe was a game changer. The German stuff was especially prized for being resistant to cracking in temperature extremes, which is handy if you’re boiling and drinking tea.

South and central Germans got big into that poo poo. Hummel figurines were basically a way for porcelain makers to show off, then that became its own thing. My mom has a porcelain nativity scene that her grandparents brought over in the late 19th century, pretty much the only stuff besides clothes that they brought with them.

So yeah, dumb porcelain figurines is German as gently caress.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

EvilMerlin posted:

Exactly.

During WW2 the Soviet ammo being handed out to the average grunt during the first two years of the war was such poor quality, it would have been lucky to hit out past 250 meters.

There was some detail about it in Russia's War: A History of the Soviet Effort by Overy

Still doesn’t matter.

Remember this isn’t shooting at an individual target. You’re literally shooting at a hillside. It’s good enough to get most of the bullets from a company into the same 100 yard by 100 yard box. Your guns and ammo could be grouping 50 MOA and it’s still good enough for volley fire.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
MOA GSW?

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cyrano4747 posted:

So yeah, dumb porcelain figurines is German as gently caress.

Yeah, there was an actual study into this and it wasn't just Himmler liked them, although I'm sure that was a big factor. The Ahnenerbe's whole mission was to catalog Germanic cultures and although people like to bring up the hunt for evidence of the true Aryans stuff, it was mostly just studying folk songs and crafts in Germany and the Nordic countries. Since this is all ridiculous and Germany itself was a modern concept, they probably landed on porcelain as a concrete and unique form of "Germanic" culture or whatever you want to call it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

bewbies posted:

...how?? That is an absolutely ridiculous distance. Did they have a different definition of "fighting" or something?

900m is well outside of what you could reliably expect contemporary DMs to hit anything, how were these guys doing it with iron sights and black powder?

Most of the major fighting was done in awkwardly in a very hilly terrain with the British under confused and awkward leadership and the Boer's were scary good shots even before they got their hands on smokeless powder. The British in South Africa during the first Anglo-Boer War got pantsed hardcore.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

It was a Big loving Deal when some Saxons figures out how to make it and set up for Meissen porcelain.
this, cranach, augustus the strong, ottoman fan club, the transylvanian katana, and being not very good at war are all saxony ever did in life

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Gun Shot Wound

Minute Of Angle - a measurement for accuracy. The rule of thumb is that 1 MOA puts the shots in a 1 inch circle at 100 yards. This is considered very good mechanical accuracy. It is affected by both the rifle and the ammo.

Your typical WW2 era rifle was 3-6 MOA depending on the acceptance standard of the army getting them, to give an idea.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

MOA = Minute of Arc/Minute of Angle. Commonly used as a measure of accuracy for rifles. A rifle capable of shooting 1 MOA means that all the shots will fall within a ~1 inch-diameter circle at 100 yards, a ~2-inch diameter circle at 200 yards, etc.

GSW = Gunshot Wound.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

this, cranach, augustus the strong, ottoman fan club, the transylvanian katana, and being not very good at war are all saxony ever did in life

As I typed the word Saxon I thought to myself “5 minutes, max, before Hey Guns notices the Saxon Signal and comes running”

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

As I typed the word Saxon I thought to myself “5 minutes, max, before Hey Guns notices the Saxon Signal and comes running”
have you ever been there? the dialect rules

i can only sort-of understand them

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

bewbies posted:

...how?? That is an absolutely ridiculous distance. Did they have a different definition of "fighting" or something?

900m is well outside of what you could reliably expect contemporary DMs to hit anything, how were these guys doing it with iron sights and black powder?

By 'Transvaal Campaign 1880-1881' he means a 3 month 'conflict' with ~1000 total involved on each side and in which most activity consisted of Boers sniping at British forts on the next hill.

It's not representative at all.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

Gun Shot Wound

Minute Of Angle - a measurement for accuracy. The rule of thumb is that 1 MOA puts the shots in a 1 inch circle at 100 yards. This is considered very good mechanical accuracy. It is affected by both the rifle and the ammo.

Your typical WW2 era rifle was 3-6 MOA depending on the acceptance standard of the army getting them, to give an idea.

Phanatic posted:

MOA = Minute of Arc/Minute of Angle. Commonly used as a measure of accuracy for rifles. A rifle capable of shooting 1 MOA means that all the shots will fall within a ~1 inch-diameter circle at 100 yards, a ~2-inch diameter circle at 200 yards, etc.

GSW = Gunshot Wound.

thanks

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

And during the 2nd Anglo-Boer War (the one the world knows more about) the Boers armed with smokeless bold action rifles decided this time around to start digging in and using proper entrenchments. So during the active phase of this war the British got their arses handed to them a lot trying to combat them over their previous tactics (old Boer tactic was to seize and deploy around high ground, this time they built trenches instead of just going low behind rocks and a lot of the explosive shells tossed at them essentially did nothing).

Tragically a lot of British soldiers died during this phase as they tried to get the Boers out of their well prepared defensive positions. Like being gunned down in the open or during water crossing tragic because the Boers had dug in quite well.

Alchenar posted:

By 'Transvaal Campaign 1880-1881' he means a 3 month 'conflict' with ~1000 total involved on each side and in which most activity consisted of Boers sniping at British forts on the next hill.

It's not representative at all.

I imagine the data was taken from the series of slap stick actions known Majuba Hill and Ingogo.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Oct 31, 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

EvilMerlin posted:

Exactly.

Um, what? I've never heard this claim before.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Most of the major fighting was done in awkwardly in a very hilly terrain with the British under confused and awkward leadership and the Boer's were scary good shots even before they got their hands on smokeless powder. The British in South Africa during the first Anglo-Boer War got pantsed hardcore.

Keep in mind during the US Civil War, the Confed snipers using the Whitworth Rifle were rather well documented as doing 500+ yard to 1000 yard shots.

General Sedgwick was killed from a range of at least 500 yards. Some say out to 1000.

The Whitworth rifle is a drat cool rifle at that too... hexagon barrel and bullet. With irons it could do 800 yard shots all day long. With the early telescopic sites, it could do well over 1000 yards. The bullets make a very unusual sound too...

Truman Head (known as California Joe), was known to take 750+ yard shots regularly with his telescopic sited Sharps Rifle. More than likely it was his use of the Sharps that bought it to the attention of Col. Berdan.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Fangz posted:

Um, what? I've never heard this claim before.

Read the book I listed in that post.

If I remember correctly it was discussed early on in the book when discussing the downright poo poo that the Russians were trying to force into the war because they had almost nothing. Ammo was found with not just gun powder in it, but dirt, sawdust and other crap... Was downright amazing because it wasn't just small arms ammo they had issue with.

EvilMerlin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 31, 2018

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

EvilMerlin posted:

Keep in mind during the US Civil War, the Confed snipers using the Whitworth Rifle were rather well documented as doing 500+ yard to 1000 yard shots.

General Sedgwick was killed from a range of at least 500 yards. Some say out to 1000.

The Whitworth rifle is a drat cool rifle at that too... hexagon barrel and bullet. With irons it could do 800 yard shots all day long. With the early telescopic sites, it could do well over 1000 yards. The bullets make a very unusual sound too...

Truman Head (known as California Joe), was known to take 750+ yard shots regularly with his telescopic sited Sharps Rifle. More than likely it was his use of the Sharps that bought it to the attention of Col. Berdan.

Yeah, black powder marksmen and the guns they used were drat lethal.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

EvilMerlin posted:

Read the book I listed in that post.

Can you post the relevant extract?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Ever notice the insane range settings on old rifles? Your average Mosin or Mauser has rear sights that go out to 2000 meters.

That’s not just optimism, it’s there for long range volley fire. You’re right that point targets aren’t happening but of you have a company start lobbing rounds at “that blob of guys on the hill a kilometer over there” then you start getting somewhere. It was used a lot to suppress formations and generally try to make open fields a place you don’t want to be, basically the same way very long range MG fire is used today. It’s very much a tactic developed in the window between rifles that could kill at those distances and the development of LMGs.

This makes some sense, but that is still an absurd distance to be shooting with the naked eye and relatively primitive guns. Like, that's a "call the mortars or helicopter" target for a modern army...even your machine guns would be wasting ammo shooting at something that far away.

I guess what I'm wondering is 1) was this brief window of absurd long range area fire really so influential as to dominate gun and ammo development for the next 80 years or so, and 2) was this actually seen as a good use of time and ammo?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Fangz posted:

Can you post the relevant extract?

I will try once I get home.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don’t know about mulched cotton being better or worse but clothing fragments being carried into the would in general have been a huge problem ever since penetrating wounds were a thing. My understanding is that GSW is especially bad about it compared to stabbings. Your average uniform in the field isn’t exactly clean either, which makes the issue worse.
i think i have posted enough about what a soviet soldier's uniform would have been covered with

half of them anyway

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

bewbies posted:

This makes some sense, but that is still an absurd distance to be shooting with the naked eye and relatively primitive guns. Like, that's a "call the mortars or helicopter" target for a modern army...even your machine guns would be wasting ammo shooting at something that far away.

I guess what I'm wondering is 1) was this brief window of absurd long range area fire really so influential as to dominate gun and ammo development for the next 80 years or so, and 2) was this actually seen as a good use of time and ammo?

I imagine it depends on the terrain they'd be fighting in.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, black powder marksmen and the guns they used were drat lethal.

Indeed.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
What were the sniping distances of the pre-18th century rifles?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bewbies posted:

The late 19th century was really influential in developing tactics to match the new weapons being fielded, and it happened to coincide with a moment in time when the average infantryman carried a weapon potentially lethal out to multiple kilometers but heavier ordinance wasn’t portable enough to be rapidly deployed yet.

As to whether it was a good use of ammo, it’s basically suppressing fire. Would you rather assault the position held by the dudes who are free to shoot you up in peace as you advance or one where they’re being harassed by that company to your rear throwing rifle rounds all around them?

It’s an odd time in military history that happens to coincide with the major development of the rifles that served most countries for the next 50 years and put the cartridges in the supply system that some are still dependent on to this day.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

The late 19th century was really influential in developing tactics to match the new weapons being fielded, and it happened to coincide with a moment in time when the average infantryman carried a weapon potentially lethal out to multiple kilometers but heavier ordinance wasn’t portable enough to be rapidly deployed yet.

As to whether it was a good use of ammo, it’s basically suppressing fire. Would you rather assault the position held by the dudes who are free to shoot you up in peace as you advance or one where they’re being harassed by that company to your rear throwing rifle rounds all around them?

It’s an odd time in military history that happens to coincide with the major development of the rifles that served most countries for the next 50 years and put the cartridges in the supply system that some are still dependent on to this day.

That all makes sense too...I guess what I find baffling is why no one did the math on the advantages of intermediate rounds once all of the other gear (machine guns and IDF and so on) came around to much more effectively engage stuff at longer ranges. I can kind of see wanting to finish out WWI with the old stuff just because of logistics and production concerns, but why on earth did they not make the switch in the intervening years? Pure organizational inertia?

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

bewbies posted:

That all makes sense too...I guess what I find baffling is why no one did the math on the advantages of intermediate rounds once all of the other gear (machine guns and IDF and so on) came around to much more effectively engage stuff at longer ranges. I can kind of see wanting to finish out WWI with the old stuff just because of logistics and production concerns, but why on earth did they not make the switch in the intervening years? Pure organizational inertia?

What's IDF apart from Israeli Defence Forces?

Arban
Aug 28, 2017

SeanBeansShako posted:

bold action rifles

I assume this is a typo, but it seems like something that could plausibly have been the name of something...

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

I can not emphasize enough how loving much WW1 cost and how broke as gently caress everyone was in the intervening years. Like, it’s not the only reason the Depression happened, but it’s a big part of why it was so bad.

You just fought an apocalyptic war. You have no money. Your public is extremely anti war right now because you just killed most of a generation of young men. Oh and you’re trying to not be quite as autocratic anymore as a hedge against this international communism thing. Military budgets are getting slashed. No one expects another war of any consequence for a long time right up until it happens.

Look at it through that lens and it’s a loving miracle that the development that happened went down. Even then decisions were made on the basis of cost, like changing the Garand to .30-06 at the end because goddamn we have a literal mountain of ammo in that caliber and goddamn we do not have a lot of money for this right now.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Arban posted:

I assume this is a typo, but it seems like something that could plausibly have been the name of something...

No doubt the press or advertisement has used it at least once.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hogge Wild posted:

What's IDF apart from Israeli Defence Forces?

Indirect Fire. Squad portable mortars and the like.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

HEY GUNS posted:

speaking of female soviets, didn't ensignexpendable mention some bright lieutenant who had her men lie down in a ditch and point their rifles up at some really high angle to hit a target with volley fire at extra-long range?

also if anyone learns how to do this sort of thing in their daily life it's the boers. (Or the Afghans or the Tibetans)

I would've assumed a move like this to be for Anti-Aircraft fire rather than added distance.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I would've assumed a move like this to be for Anti-Aircraft fire rather than added distance.
with mosins? would that do anything

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

HEY GUNS posted:

It’s a thing they trained. Same basic principle as volley fire just aiming at a patch of sky rather than a patch of ground.

Now is it super effective? Not really, but you get lucky sometimes and shoot down an airplane and at the very least it keeps them from just loitering and loving you up at their leisure.

Edit: the Japanese went so far as to put AA sights on their rifles to help calculate lead.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Cyrano4747 posted:

It’s a thing they trained. Same basic principle as volley fire just aiming at a patch of sky rather than a patch of ground.

Now is it super effective? Not really, but you get lucky sometimes and shoot down an airplane and at the very least it keeps them from just loitering and loving you up at their leisure.

Edit: the Japanese went so far as to put AA sights on their rifles to help calculate lead.

Were any planes ever actually shot down with just rifles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

There's a thing known as "Golden BB."

Despite what they tell you about armoring airplanes like the IL-2 or the A-10, a lucky shot in the wrong place has the potential to bring down an airplane. You certainly can't count on it - we're talking blind luck here - but throwing enough metal in the air increases the odds a bit.

No, it's not like a lone infantryman is going to reliably shoot down Stukas with his trusty Mosin-Nagant. But if you're being strafed anyway you might as well throw some lead at them.