Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

DrSunshine posted:

GAWD, the milspergs in this thread. I just call my ships based on their class and weapons loadout and I'm surprised more people don't. "Plasma Cruiser"-class Cruiser. "Torpedo Corvette"-class torpedo corvettes. "Carrier"-class Battlecruisers.

That's exactly what most of them have said, though? The only difference between your examples and D-E 122 A2H1S3-A1-301 "Addams" is that the Addams actually has a name beyond just class and loadout.

Why yes, I am saying that just to mess with you. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

DrSunshine posted:

GAWD, the milspergs in this thread. I just call my ships based on their class and weapons loadout and I'm surprised more people don't. "Plasma Cruiser"-class Cruiser. "Torpedo Corvette"-class torpedo corvettes. "Carrier"-class Battlecruisers.

man look at the blorg on this one

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

DrSunshine posted:

YOU'LL PRY MY DOUBLE D FROM MY SURPRISINGLY WARM HANDS

Edit, related:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1057290634078420992?s=19

YOU'LL PRY MY HATRED OF VICTORY CONDITIONS FROM MY - wait actually they're fine

Aethernet fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Oct 30, 2018

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Came here to post the victory condition thing. I am really glad that's happening. Having an end point is important to me.

Also my ships are named depending on the particular empire I'm using and what sort of naming scheme I've made for them.
It's much easier for me though because i just have one type of each ship, no loving about.

So the university of leaves who is sorta tree themed uses "seed" "sprout" and etc.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, I like that score thing a lot. In these games I much prefer to be like, "I did a really good job as Mali that game" rather than "France built a spaceship, everyone else loses instantly".

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

DrSunshine posted:

Clicking the randomizer button and typing "DD-A" is less work. :shrug:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

End dates have always been the thing I hated the most in paradox games. I'm not done painting the map! If I just had 20 more years I'd have fulfilled all my goals! I really want to see where this crazy alt-history ends up!

But, like I've mentioned before, a lack of an end-date in a game means all games will invariably end in final-war and nothing else, which means doing anything other than prepping for the final war is a foolish strategy. IN EU4 you can set reasonable goals like "let's see how big of a colonial empire I can build as the dutch" or "lets see how strong I can make england without going for colonies and focusing on european conquest" because there's an end date in sight. If EU4 had no end date, the only valid play would be going for world conquest and that totally changes the mindset you'll have during a game. This is a big problem with stellaris, that the only valid victory condition is based on conquest, and the game will go on forever otherwise.

You might set your self a goal to be a tall pacifist empire, and you might have a good time achieving that, but there will always come a time when you have to abandon what ever you planned and dehumanize your self and face to galactic conquest. In the end the only thing that matters is your fleet power.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I would guess that you can keep going past the "end date" of 2500 in that image.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Baronjutter posted:

End dates have always been the thing I hated the most in paradox games.

Don't they all just let you carry on playing?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

CK, EU, and Vicky stop at their end dates, though it's pretty trivial to mod them to run forever.

Don't know why Stellaris would suddenly switch to that though.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
Stellaris only has victory conditions because "4xes always have victory conditions", and consequently they're all terrible. We're much better off switching back to the older paradigm (the only difference between CK/EU/Vic and a Civilization score victory is framing). Apparently (checking replies to that tweet) score will now be the only way to "win" the game, which at least means people won't feel compelled to genocide half a galaxy for the sake of the victory screen.

(we'll all just do it for fun instead)

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Dallan Invictus posted:

Stellaris only has victory conditions because "4xes always have victory conditions", and consequently they're all terrible. We're much better off switching back to the older paradigm (the only difference between CK/EU/Vic and a Civilization score victory is framing). Apparently (checking replies to that tweet) score will now be the only way to "win" the game, which at least means people won't feel compelled to genocide half a galaxy for the sake of the victory screen.

(we'll all just do it for fun instead)
You should be able to click off a few different types of victory and those track your score based on different criteria. A galactic conqueror might want to be scored based on their maximum supply of territory, a tall pacifist empire might want to be scored on either their maximum Pops @ maximum happiness or at how many of their people/planets survive the end game fun party.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Nessus posted:

You should be able to click off a few different types of victory and those track your score based on different criteria. A galactic conqueror might want to be scored based on their maximum supply of territory, a tall pacifist empire might want to be scored on either their maximum Pops @ maximum happiness or at how many of their people/planets survive the end game fun party.

you've got a bunch of words in this post but all I'm really reading is "victory slider"

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I don't like mono fleets but I still want to keep things simple, so in my next game I think I"m going to try using fleets of artillery battleships with some point-defense/small gun destroyers to screen them and see how it works. For the Titan I'll probably use the tracking aura, although the FTL snare has really grown on me.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

Dallan Invictus posted:

Stellaris only has victory conditions because "4xes always have victory conditions", and consequently they're all terrible.

Stars! is the only game where I genuinely liked the victory conditions, but that was because they were fairly granular and could each be adjusted as desired depending on what you wanted as a goal for that game.

Now, granted, Stars! was largely setup for PBEM play, so these kinds of victory conditions made sense for defining when a game was over so that it wouldn't drag on for literal years.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie
Might be interesting to unlock victory conditions through ascension perks. For example pacifists be able to unlock habitat and collect all (most) alien races into them before they get exterminated by the end game crisis (with event lines to be able to steal/influence/buy xenophone and other races that would normally not migrate).

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Nessus posted:

I really like the idea of hitting some Pop Number * Pop Happiness threshold as a victory condition, because I tend to prefer growing my society in population over territory. I'm unsure how to model gestalts, though. (And "grow as many pops as I can" tends to be my hive mind strategy.)

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

DrSunshine posted:

This is a crime. I'm calling the fun police.

PittTheElder posted:

CK, EU, and Vicky stop at their end dates, though it's pretty trivial to mod them to run forever.

Don't know why Stellaris would suddenly switch to that though.

EU4 will let you keep going now.

Far cry from the day when an end date extension mod meant patching the .exe :shepface:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Tyrel Lohr posted:

Stars! is the only game where I genuinely liked the victory conditions, but that was because they were fairly granular and could each be adjusted as desired depending on what you wanted as a goal for that game.

Now, granted, Stars! was largely setup for PBEM play, so these kinds of victory conditions made sense for defining when a game was over so that it wouldn't drag on for literal years.

Stars! was great if it was largely a spreadsheet simulator. I hope the traders in le guin blast through the galaxy at such a speed that you have to meticulously triangulate launching a cargo ship at it.

(Not really but its one of my stronger memories of the game. I should try and replicate the template classes in stellaris.)

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

ChickenWing posted:

you've got a bunch of words in this post but all I'm really reading is "victory slider"

Yes

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

Dareon posted:

That's exactly what most of them have said, though? The only difference between your examples and D-E 122 A2H1S3-A1-301 "Addams" is that the Addams actually has a name beyond just class and loadout.

Why yes, I am saying that just to mess with you. :v:

:allears: This makes me feel like a giant sperg for having made up and typed that designation

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Stars! was great if it was largely a spreadsheet simulator. I hope the traders in le guin blast through the galaxy at such a speed that you have to meticulously triangulate launching a cargo ship at it.

(Not really but its one of my stronger memories of the game. I should try and replicate the template classes in stellaris.)

The Mystery Traders were usually not *that* bad, since it showed you hash marks where they were going to be for each of the next 5 turns of movement (IIRC). But it was often a scramble to get your 5 Large Freighters built and in position to go meet it before it zoomed past you.

But then you get to the trader and find out that some one had sent a stealthed fleet out there to blow up your transports and prevent you from trading (or used their Super Stealth abilities to steal all of your minerals for themselves).

I too am looking forward to seeing if the Le Guin traders are going to be handing out any "Lifeboat" battleships in the early game.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I swear I read about another sci-fi setting that had similar traders, constantly speeding through the universe, never stopping for anything. Anyone know what I'm on about?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Was it Homeworld?

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Could be, but I have a notion it was literature.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Tyrel Lohr posted:

The Mystery Traders were usually not *that* bad, since it showed you hash marks where they were going to be for each of the next 5 turns of movement (IIRC). But it was often a scramble to get your 5 Large Freighters built and in position to go meet it before it zoomed past you.

But then you get to the trader and find out that some one had sent a stealthed fleet out there to blow up your transports and prevent you from trading (or used their Super Stealth abilities to steal all of your minerals for themselves).

I too am looking forward to seeing if the Le Guin traders are going to be handing out any "Lifeboat" battleships in the early game.

My god I thought I was the only person who knew Stars! existed. I love that game.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Deuce posted:

My god I thought I was the only person who knew Stars! existed. I love that game.

I remember excitedly reading the manual during my high school orientation assembly. I didn't actually have the game, my friend let me borrow the manual while I saved up to buy it. God drat that game was not for me. I just wanted to build a fun space empire not need 3 excel sheets going on in the background to optimize my play.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Baronjutter posted:

I remember excitedly reading the manual during my high school orientation assembly. I didn't actually have the game, my friend let me borrow the manual while I saved up to buy it. God drat that game was not for me. I just wanted to build a fun space empire not need 3 excel sheets going on in the background to optimize my play.

Yeah playing that game against other people instead of the utterly inept AI rivaled Eve Online in terms of spreadsheet hell.

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

Deuce posted:

Yeah playing that game against other people instead of the utterly inept AI rivaled Eve Online in terms of spreadsheet hell.

It wasn't *that* bad. I found that once you understood the trap options in race design (Bleeding Edge Technology? LOL) you could design a race, slap it into a small universe, and run a few testbeds to make sure it could hit the arbitrary resource benchmarks by the given game year and you were generally going to be fine. It became fairly easy to get a feel for whether or not your population growth was too fast or too slow, your hab bands wide enough to fuel expansion, etc. to do fine against other human players. But then I played way too much of that game back in high school.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Deuce posted:

The tragedy of sitting around on Usenet eagerly anticipating the release date of Stars! Supernova. :sigh:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Black Griffon posted:

I swear I read about another sci-fi setting that had similar traders, constantly speeding through the universe, never stopping for anything. Anyone know what I'm on about?

The Melnorme from Star Control?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Black Griffon posted:

Could be, but I have a notion it was literature.
The Outsiders, cryonic organisms constantly cruising around at a significant fraction of C and swapping information with locals to both make themselves non-desirable targets to xenophobes and to cultivate culture. They sold a human colony a basic FTL drive, and my people a true reactionless drive.

Guilliman
Apr 5, 2017

Animal went forth into the future and made worlds in his own image. And it was wild.
New victory stuff is cool! Hope it'll be moddable, adding in more ways to score points through mods would be cool. If not they can always expand upon it after 2.2 once we have a good idea what we want to do with it.

Man 2.2 cant get here soon enough damnit.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

The tragedy of sitting around on Usenet eagerly anticipating the release date of Stars! Supernova. :sigh:

:(

To a misspent youth, full of disappointment.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Stars! was a game I very much wanted to like but it was jarring coming off of Civ 2. I played it a bunch but I can't really say that I ever knew how stuff really worked and just fumbled around. In the end I didn't dislike it though.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Is anybody else getting game stuttering while running on the Fastest speed following the most recent patch? Pre-patch I had no issues with this. I don't think it's a hardware issue on my PC because I'm running a GTX 1080 and a i7-7700k.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HiKaizer posted:

Stars! was a game I very much wanted to like but it was jarring coming off of Civ 2. I played it a bunch but I can't really say that I ever knew how stuff really worked and just fumbled around. In the end I didn't dislike it though.

Stars! would have been a game I would have loved, but I went straight from Civ 2 to Master of Orion III and later to Space Empires V. When I learned about Stars! it was too late, I couldn't even make it run on my then-current PC.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Libluini posted:

Stars! would have been a game I would have loved, but I went straight from Civ 2 to Master of Orion III and later to Space Empires V. When I learned about Stars! it was too late, I couldn't even make it run on my then-current PC.

Yeah I recall trying to get back into it years ago but it required Windows98 on a virtual machine or something

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Deuce posted:

Yeah I recall trying to get back into it years ago but it required Windows98 on a virtual machine or something

It's on the GOG wishlist, fellow space 4X geeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Just got a Domination victory in my latest Determined Exterminators game, gonna keep playing so I can turn the fallen empires into batteries because I wrapped things up before they came out of retirement.