Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

I got my new SBSS 44mm and man, I didn't know I was such a fuccing goober when it came to reading analogue cloccs. I just look at it and gotta stay silent for a few seconds, then I got it.

It's not necessarily you. Apple has some terrible analog face designs when it comes to readability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just wait until apple finally gives in on user created faces, you gonna see some real poo poo then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

xzzy posted:

Just wait until apple finally gives in on user created faces, you gonna see some real poo poo then.

Having seen user-created Android Wear faces, yeah, "poo poo" is what you're gonna see.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

I got my new SBSS 44mm and man, I didn't know I was such a fuccing goober when it came to reading analogue cloccs. I just look at it and gotta stay silent for a few seconds, then I got it.

Let me help you feel better. https://marco.org/2018/10/09/infograph-legibility

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I have calendar events on my phone that I don't want notifications/alerts for so I've removed them for these events. My Watch is set to mirror my iPhone's Calendar notifications. On my phone the notifications behave normally (I don't get them for the ones I've turned off), but despite that they all still get pushed to my watch. So it's not really mirroring my iPhone.

How do I fix this? Using iCloud calendars and the regular calendar app.

e: found this discussion: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7850023

I don't use Fantastical so I don't want to disable notifications or delete Calendars. I just want it to not notify me about events where I've explicitly said no alerts.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Oct 27, 2018

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Glad to see it's not me. I've settled with making one of the complications a world clock for my state/city. Apple better fix this soon or I'm going to mildly upset next time I think about it. :colbert:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Having seen user-created Android Wear faces, yeah, "poo poo" is what you're gonna see.

I'm looking forward to seeing some old Pebble faces ported over. There was plenty of poo poo, but I miss a few of those.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

xzzy posted:

Sure but there is also going to be some good stuff too. As opposed to the current selection which has like two usable options neither of which are particularly aesthetically pleasing.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I was disappointed to find out that a lot of complications don't work on many of the newer faces.

Anyway, is there a way to put a background image behind the Infographic faces?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: WatchOS 5.1 is out! :siren:

Apple posted:

watchOS 5.1

Apple Watch Series 4 automatically contacts emergency services if you are immobile for about a minute after detecting a hard fall. The watch will now also play a message that informs the responder that Apple Watch has detected a fall and shares your location coordinates when possible.

Fixes an issue that could cause an incomplete installation of the Walkie-Talkie app for some users.

Resolves an issue that prevented some users from being able to send or receive invitations on Walkie-Talkie.

Addresses an issue where some previously earned Activity awards were not showing in the Awards tab of the Activity app for some users.

I can see some unintended hilarity with that first item, though.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just installed on a S4 and the whole process took like 15-20 minutes it feels like, wasn’t paying attention. I’m pretty sure iOS updates with the S0 literally took hours so that’s pretty impressive.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
It's most likely because bluetooth 5.0 made the data transfer much faster while less prone to interference. It's noticeable in uploading songs to the s4 watch too.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Update was pulled, apparently

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It bricked some devices, but I managed to get up and on 5.1 perfectly fine. There's apparently no current fix and I don't know what Apple will have people do if they did end up bricking their devices.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Every watch is still under warranty so I imagine Apple will have to shell out

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

coke posted:

It's most likely because bluetooth 5.0 made the data transfer much faster while less prone to interference. It's noticeable in uploading songs to the s4 watch too.

Updates happen over wifi though?

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
12.1 on my XS Max and 5.1 on my AW 4 went just fine and fast.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Thinking about upgrading to a series 4, and maybe using Apple’s GiveBack program to get credit for my S3. I figured the S4s would be in stock at my local Apple Stores by now, but there’s still about a three week wait here (at least according to the Apple Store site). Does anyone know how the GiveBack program works as far as when you have to ship the product you’re trading in? I’m fine with a three week delay in getting my S4, but I’d rather not be without a watch for that amount of time if I have to send it in before they process my S4 order.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

RoboCop 3 posted:

Thinking about upgrading to a series 4, and maybe using Apple’s GiveBack program to get credit for my S3. I figured the S4s would be in stock at my local Apple Stores by now, but there’s still about a three week wait here (at least according to the Apple Store site). Does anyone know how the GiveBack program works as far as when you have to ship the product you’re trading in? I’m fine with a three week delay in getting my S4, but I’d rather not be without a watch for that amount of time if I have to send it in before they process my S4 order.

You ship it in and get emailed a apple gift card that gets added to your wallet. Turnaround time was about a weekish from when they received it and when I was paid. When you request the trade in it tells you that you have something like 2 weeks or so to ship it out so you could wait, but you don’t get paid until they’ve received it and checked it out.

e: that’s weird to read about the 5.1 update bricking watches. Mine has been perfectly fine. I wonder what causes it? I already updated to 12.1 on my phone before I updated the watch.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 31, 2018

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I was gonna do that, but two days after the watch was announced I got my first visible scuff on my s3 and gave up on that plan because from what I hear apple is super finicky about that stuff.

So I'll just swappa it once the S4 is consistently in stock, will get slightly more of a return anyways.

gregday
May 23, 2003

I feel like the answer is obviously No but when you trade in your old watch do you have to send back the original band too?

Woof
Nov 4, 2002

gregday posted:

I feel like the answer is obviously No but when you trade in your old watch do you have to send back the original band too?

Traded my S3 in for a S4 in the UK, and the Apple Store allowed me to keep both the band and the charger too. I was pleasantly surprised.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

xzzy posted:

I was gonna do that, but two days after the watch was announced I got my first visible scuff on my s3 and gave up on that plan because from what I hear apple is super finicky about that stuff.

So I'll just swappa it once the S4 is consistently in stock, will get slightly more of a return anyways.

My experience is that going in in person, the people tend to be lenient about stuff like scuffs but then I read that the mail in experience is bad. My S1 had all kinds of scrapes and a tiny notch out of the crown and the person serving me was like “reasonable wear and tear”.

E: But then I got like $60 because it was an S1

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: that’s weird to read about the 5.1 update bricking watches. Mine has been perfectly fine. I wonder what causes it? I already updated to 12.1 on my phone before I updated the watch.

I don't know if there're any correlation, but you should always make sure your phone is up to date before updating your Watch.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Counter point, I updated to 5.1 just fine without upgrading to 12.1 first.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Does anyone know why I didn't get the perfect month badge for October? I filled every single ring every and logged at least one workout too.

fr3lm0
May 25, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does anyone know why I didn't get the perfect month badge for October? I filled every single ring every and logged at least one workout too.

I don’t know why but it’s not just you. I definitely saw it on my watch this morning but the description had a placeholder string like OCTOBER_AWARD_DESC and it’s not showing up in the activity app on my phone.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
So work gave me a free Apple Watch series 3 38mm (can’t sell it, it’s for use).

So I’m giving my 42mm series 3 either to my wife, or selling it if she ends up not liking it.

I put in a sport loop band from my 42mm and it clicked, but it sticks out just a bit (awkwardly). I kind of assumed my bands wouldn’t fit, just checking to see whether it’s that they don’t fit, or they just look dumb because the ends are bigger.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
The bands are differently sized between 38mm and 42mm, yes. They might lock in, but yeah, they’ll stick out and look dumb. (Not sure what the difference is between not fitting and sticking out...)

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

My November challenge is something exceeding the amount of exercise minutes I’ve logged over the past year.

I don’t know if that better or worse than the one hundred eighteen thousand active calorie goal for October, which I came nowhere close to meeting.

At this rate December will require me to stand 25 hours a day.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
I keep forgetting about the monthly challenges until it’s too late to hit them or the month turns.

I wish the sharing screen (which I do not use) could be replaced by a tracker for my monthly challenge (which I would use if I could keep it top of mind).

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

This is probably a quick question to answer. In the demo pics they show a complication for the infograph face that allows a picture of a person. I can't seem to find how to get that. Anyone know the answer?

https://www.idownloadblog.com/2018/09/14/apple-watch-series-4-complications/

There is a picture of if in the colorful gauge section in that link.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
If one of your iPhone contacts favorites has a picture associated with it, and you set the complication to that favorite.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ultimate Mango posted:

I don’t know if that better or worse than the one hundred eighteen thousand active calorie goal for October, which I came nowhere close to meeting.

no one said it was going to be easy

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Agronox posted:

no one said it was going to be easy

Yes they did.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
Wonder how long before 5.1 will be available again..

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

It's actually wild to me that it wasn't made available shortly after taking it down; a quick fix and release. I'm wondering if they're trying to finish whatever was left of EKG and then just dropping 5.1.1

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

fr3lm0 posted:

I don’t know why but it’s not just you. I definitely saw it on my watch this morning but the description had a placeholder string like OCTOBER_AWARD_DESC and it’s not showing up in the activity app on my phone.

Oh hey I just saw I got the award 🥇.

Ultimate Mango posted:

My November challenge is something exceeding the amount of exercise minutes I’ve logged over the past year.

At this rate December will require me to stand 25 hours a day.

Just fly off to other side of the world in Japan or Australia or whatever and party all day long and fly back so you never hit the next day. EZPZ

https://www.reddit.com/r/AppleWatch/comments/9i7asr/gotta_love_international_travel_stand_goals/

(It’s not me)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I’m speechless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

carry on then posted:

I’m speechless

I’m not sure that’s how November works :thunk:

Also I have had the watch tell me on Saturday that I can still have a perfect workout week if I hit the goal three more times lol.