Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Adar posted:

bitcoin's community is so insane even by crypto standards that any major change to the protocol is politically impossible to make and will result in a fork that has no popular support. the protocol that is out there in 2018 is the one that is locked in for the foreseeable future.
The miners and non-miners need each other. The non-miners can't force the protocol to change in ways that benefit them at the expense of the miners, but the miners need $11 million worth of dumb money to be dumped into the system every day so they need the useful idiots out there suckering people into "investing" in bitcoin to keep the scheme going. So the protocol will likely only be changed again in the face of an existential threat to both groups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Phosphine posted:

They're obviously not going to be giving away free money, somehow, but I am curious how they're going to scam people. Invite structure, promise rewards, and then at some point in the future say "Yes, yes, we're ready to wire you your nigerian funbux, just send money to ACCOUNT to verify serious intent", or what?

At the very minimum they end up with a database of personal info and a social diagram of the type or people who jump through hoops for fake money.

That stuff is worth enough that people used to give away thing with actual value to collect it.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
I'm surprised no one caught on to the warlock anchor spell that's imbued in the thread title as bitcoin strains and then plummets within a range predetermined by "us."

:science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: 6000 :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science:

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Klyith posted:

At the very minimum they end up with a database of personal info and a social diagram of the type or people who jump through hoops for fake money.

That stuff is worth enough that people used to give away thing with actual value to collect it.

lol

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

moolchaba posted:

I'm surprised no one caught on to the warlock anchor spell that's imbued in the thread title as bitcoin strains and then plummets within a range predetermined by "us."

:science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: 6000 :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science: :science:

Sir that clearly says "under"

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waffle House posted:

Sir that clearly says "under"

exactly every time it goes under 6k it gets pumped

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Adar posted:

I've spent a lot of time thinking about this and it's one of the reasons bitcoin is a dead end; even without a worldwide treaty banning crypto mining that might be a thing sooner or later, power generation just doesn't increase fast enough for the kind of hashpower growth that BTC has been seeing to continue. at some point the amount of cheap power worldwide will run out, miners will be increasingly unprofitable while ASIC development itself continues, and the end result of that process is going to be a very small number of miners in control of network security while a very large number of miners are mothballed or for rent / idle hashpower becomes able to hijack the network

either that or I'm wrong and humans invent yet another spectacularly stupid way to kill themselves
Honestly this process has already begun, a lot of places with cheap power because of a nearby hydro dam or whatever have gotten sick of bitlords rolling in, stuffing a shitload of electronics into a building that catches fire, refusing to pay taxes, and then leaving the hot moment something else happens. Similarly the coal plant that was claiming to become dedicated power for a coin farm was, in fact, just some bullshit a scammer did.

*presses the 21.co button to mine a quick hit of Bitcoin*

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
bitcoin boffins, what's initiative q

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Our resident vampire explains

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

dogshit.

i am apparently the world expert on this because i posted about it in june. that post has had 200,000+ hits, making it literally the most popular thing i have ever written in 51 years on earth. what the poo poo.

it's not a crypto, but it manages to be dumb and bad in many of the same ways.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
what about avenue q

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Anything prominently featuring the letter "Q" these days is guaranteed to be a horror show

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Everyone's a little bitcoin racist sometimes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Crossposting from the Spaceflight thread, of all places:

Planetary Resources is a small pie-in-the-sky aerospace startup that's trying to develop technologies for mining the asteroids. So far they've gotten a couple of tiny satellites (built to the CubeSat spec) into low Earth orbit, which to be fair is WAY more than most of these little companies ever manage.

Here's their first satellite (the green thing at lower right) being deployed. For scale, it's 30cm by 10cm by 10cm.

All the near-term hard-headed practicality of asteroid mining, combined with the stability and reputation of cryptocurrencies? What's not to love? :geno:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Can we cut the bullshit and jettison the coiners into space instead of their litter?

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Nessus posted:

Honestly this process has already begun, a lot of places with cheap power because of a nearby hydro dam or whatever have gotten sick of bitlords rolling in, stuffing a shitload of electronics into a building that catches fire, refusing to pay taxes, and then leaving the hot moment something else happens. Similarly the coal plant that was claiming to become dedicated power for a coin farm was, in fact, just some bullshit a scammer did.

*presses the 21.co button to mine a quick hit of Bitcoin*

My favorite in my home area was the company rep that flew from China to East Washington, drove to the actual hydroelectric dam, and asked at the gate "May I see the dam master? I'd like to buy a large amount of electricity."

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Ah yes the noble and wise dam master, hopefully he bowed in his presence

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Holy poo poo lmao

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
i've had it up to here with these dam masters way up in their dam offices looking out over the drat dam!

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
dam master flash

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
https://twitter.com/MattBruenig/status/1057749633638776833?s=19

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
My. 🙏 Culture. 🙏 Is. 🙏Not. 🙏Your. 🙏Costume.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

bold. taking a photo of yourself wearing the back you carved off a bitcoiner so you can invoke his dark magics like you live in vagrant story world

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

divabot posted:

dogshit.

i am apparently the world expert on this because i posted about it in june. that post has had 200,000+ hits, making it literally the most popular thing i have ever written in 51 years on earth. what the poo poo.

it's not a crypto, but it manages to be dumb and bad in many of the same ways.

I can see why it has so many hits. I've seen 5 people I know sharing their Q invite links on Facebook already, so a good rebuttal is gonna get posted a lot.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Razorwired posted:

My favorite in my home area was the company rep that flew from China to East Washington, drove to the actual hydroelectric dam, and asked at the gate "May I see the dam master? I'd like to buy a large amount of electricity."

I really want to hear details if there are any

I'm p sure the dam master was what everyone wanted to be in Fallout New Vegas

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

Is bitcoin died yet? Asking for a friend ...

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

WalletBeef posted:

Is bitcoin died yet? Asking for a friend ...

How can it die? It was never alive.

Emulator
Sep 20, 2007
perma-nub

klafbang posted:

How can it die? It was never alive.

What is dead may never die.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
in r'yleh deep cthulhu lies hashing

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW

So, what was this?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Adar posted:

Coinbase's "lawyer" is Goodwin Procter, an upper tier BIGLAW firm with a few hundred employees. Their USD reserves are a)likely growing but also b)practically limitless because they make so much money and are so hot that there are rumors Facebook wants to buy them. If I had to guess, given Binance makes about 150m a quarter, a 'sane' valuation would be around 5-7b so they would probably go for 3 times that much.

But no one has ever made any money off trading BTC because its liquidity is entirely drug money and North Korea* and also no one has ever cashed out.

*it's actually all gambling on shitcoins which is just as stupid but not as legally tainted

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/30/cryptocurrency-start-up-coinbase-valued-at-8-billion-despite-bitcoins-plunge.html

they raised 300 mil at an $8B valuation this month. the IPO's probably going to be in the next couple of years at 2x-3x that, but first they're gonna add a few hundred shitcoins

setting the O/U for the next bubble at 2020

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

A Cryptocurrency Millionaire Wants to Build a Utopia in Nevada
A man spent millions on an enormous plot of land near Reno. Now he wants to build a community based on the blockchain technology introduced by Bitcoin.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1058097633586241540

This is going to be great tot watch!

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Texarrakis II: Nevada Boogaloo

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Risc1911 posted:

A man spent millions on an enormous plot of land near Reno. Now he wants to build a community based on the blockchain technology introduced by Bitcoin.

Looking forward to Galt's Gulch 2.0

http://gawker.com/ayn-rands-capitalist-paradise-is-now-a-greedy-land-grab-1627574870

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Harveygod posted:

So, what was this?

Yeah, enquiring minds want to know, since that photo has been removed. Was it really a fuckcoiner wearing the flayed skin of a bitcoiner? :yeshaha:

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Lol thanks for this article... and there's many more laughs to come I reckon.

I wonder what scams the citizens of Blockchain City will pull on each other. Anyone moving there had better hire an extra moving van and driver for hauling the thousands of Amazon gift vouchers and any other needs they can't buy locally. Your coinhaver postman will either be keeping everyone's mail or auctioning it off to the highest bidder.

Also bring guns, and lots of ammunition.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Risc1911 posted:

Hay guys, we are going to build a city based on this new concept called a database, only everyone has a copy and it takes a shitload of computing power and energy to use! Amazing technology of the future!!

naem
May 29, 2011

why is it always in a desert

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

BigBadSteve posted:

Lol thanks for this article... and there's many more laughs to come I reckon.

I wonder what scams the citizens of Blockchain City will pull on each other. Anyone moving there had better hire an extra moving van and driver for hauling the thousands of Amazon gift vouchers and any other needs they can't buy locally. Your coinhaver postman will either be keeping everyone's mail or auctioning it off to the highest bidder.

Also bring guns, and lots of ammunition.

personally i would just bring some kind of usb stick with a keylogger on and steal everyone's city coins. don't even have to live there, just pass through. that's the smart money bby

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

naem posted:

why is it always in a desert

Probably because that's where there's tons of cheap land for sale.