Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hav posted:

How long have you had that opinion?

They've never ever been good at fixing poo poo in their games, aren't good at it now seeing at the poo poo in the beta, so how would they magically get good at later?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

corn in the bible posted:

it doesnt have a subscription model to fund development

It does have a cosmetics shop.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Piell posted:

They've never ever been good at fixing poo poo in their games, aren't good at it now seeing at the poo poo in the beta, so how would they magically get good at later?

This my primary concern for the game, long term, along with a shallow gameplay loop. It looks like fallout with autumn colors, but it plays like a more shallow Rust and from a company with a very poor track record for addressing problems.

Also gamebryo, lol

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Zelder posted:

I can't believe you can still gently caress with the framerate to speedhack. It was so obviously going to happen that my brain blanked over the possibility.

I love my console, but I have to admit that consoles make games devs dumb. On a console you would not care about framerate independent physic because your hardware is always the same, never faster, and you will lock the framerate to 30 FPS and it will be constant. So you don't need to make framerate independent physic.

This turn game devs into idiots that make crappy code. Because in this circumstances crappy code produce the same effect good code.

Is when the circumstances change, that the crappy code results to be... crappy.

Is understandable but kind of facepalming.

On this case the ancient ancient engine from a remote era before the dinosaurs where kings of the earth don't even know of this sort of things. The current 2018 devs are has annoyed has us the engine work this way.

I say it the other day, but sometimes to make the kitchen bigger the solution is to burn the entire building, then build a new house in the same place. The fire will also kill the rats and coackroaches.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Literally blaming consoles for the fact Bethesda are lazy, sloppy developers

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Donovan Trip posted:

Literally blaming consoles for the fact Bethesda are lazy, sloppy developers

https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestechcouncil/2018/01/08/developers-are-lazy-and-thats-usually-a-good-thing/#6a2dc02b1391

https://www.techwell.com/techwell-insights/2013/12/why-best-programmers-are-lazy-and-act-dumb

https://medium.com/the-lazy-developer/on-laziness-26d7a9f32066

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bardeh posted:

also, obviously if you stare straight at the ground your FPS will be higher. so I predict the next beta session will be full of people looking downwards and zooming around the map at hyperspeed

Short of hard-capping the framerate, I also don't see how they're gonna fix this if it's so heavily ingrained into the engine itself. So we'll probably end up with a 60fps cap, I guess.

:thumbsup:

just literally the same engine faults since Morrowind lmao

They can't do this forever. I'm sure this will sell decently but it will leave a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths and their popularity will start waning. Hell, most of their popularity is people playing Skyrim for the first time and being amazed as gently caress. They obviously don't care about the core fanbase which drives hype and makes other people excited. If Starfield has the same bugged crap it'll be pretty bad for them imo.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Have any of you preordered to get into the BETA to yell at people to cancel their preorders yet?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Sigh I love group chats full of people who will choke down anything and think any criticism is a binary question. If I just dig a deep trench and put the bar way down THERE, look how far above it we are!

quote:

I would never be happy with any game if I just sought out its faults

quote:

I have been taking things how they are and finding I enjoy playing things much more instead of being angry about what was done or not done

quote:

Runs smoother than any other fallout just felt more console oriented

They're all big Star Citizen advocates, shockingly

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I don't matter me if a videogame is powered by newborn babies paste and break the laws of nature and insult two multicultural nations and looks like garbage and is made by literal garbage.

If the game is fun, I will probably play it and enjoy it.

So Fallout 76 engine being garbage from 2003, I don't mind it.

It don't look bad at places, the artist made some interesting work with what they had.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Piell posted:

'getting good' is different from dying. One tends to not end in the cessation of all functions. The other usually involves a complete collapse in funding.

My overall point is that a fondly held desire is not necessarily the only thing that can happen.

corn in the bible posted:

it doesnt have a subscription model to fund development

Neither does fallout shelter, or a bunch of current MMO titles that are relying on microtransactions, whale donations or straight up pay-to-win. Subscription models are kinda early-to-late 2000s.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is going to be a farce, but it superficially resembles fallout 4 because of the skinning, texturing, subject matter and advertising, and yet it isn't because of the switch in genres. It's shaping up to be the worst of all worlds, which in itself is quite impressive.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Sorry but no, Bethesda are exceptionally lazy as evidenced by this thread

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

lol did you even read these m8

quote:

A bad developer is too lazy to explore new technologies because their toolbox already gets them their paycheck and they don’t want to work on the weekends learning new things.

:thunk:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

lol did you even read these m8

:thunk:

lol, no, they are probably crap.
the world would be better if medium.com is deleted from the internet.

I just had fun with the irony of what the other guy said. plenty of articles on the internet would tell you lazyness is not really a bad thing in software.

Tei fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 31, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
As someone who regularly has chased these beta experiences down since wildstar, I will say that this has been a good beta, in comparison.

But doing Betas as a consumer who has to pay money for the 'privilage' of doing QA work is an inherently lovely way to spend an afternoon. In much the same way shooting up heroin in the Dennys bathroom is a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

ASenileAnimal
Dec 21, 2017

they should delay this, get rid of multiplayer, drop a bunch of npcs into the game, and add some kind of falloutish story to it

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

As someone who regularly has chased these beta experiences down since wildstar, I will say that this has been a good beta, in comparison.

But doing Betas as a consumer who has to pay money for the 'privilage' of doing QA work is an inherently lovely way to spend an afternoon. In much the same way shooting up heroin in the Dennys bathroom is a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

I dunno. I would much prefer to play a unbalanced game with lot of bugs that is fun, than something like Destiny 2 Year 1. That was balanced has hell so much it killed the heroic feeling of the game, making it feel more like a chore than a game.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

ASenileAnimal posted:

they should delay this, get rid of multiplayer, drop a bunch of npcs into the game, and add some kind of falloutish story to it

God, if only. :allears:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Buy it or don't, games are for children, they are making a single player fallout anyways as well.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The game has engine issues that stem back to Morrowind so if you're asking yourself "Will Bethesda fix this?" then lol

It's not just a question of no time to learn new things or whatever. There are bugs that get fixed by an 'unofficial patch' mod a week or two after the games come out because it's just the same loving bugs every time. The physics tied to FPS thing is exactly what that is. Been an issue since at least Oblivion and probably fucks up Morrowind, too. That's not just lazy, that's loving astounding - they haven't fixed identical bugs that have been present for years in multiple games even though they are obviously fixable because modders do it with the same snippet of code every time. Just loving adopt the code from the unofficial patch and be done with it if you really can't be bothered at all but nope not even that is done.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Father Wendigo posted:

God, if only. :allears:

What would you even call that game?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I don't think the people at Bethesda are lazy. Clearly, a lot of work went into making the engine capable of working in multiplayer, and this was largely work done by a team that was not very familiar with the codebase (though I'm sure the main office collaborated on that and made sure to keep them up to speed). Fallout 76 is a spin-off that's meant to bridge the gap for Bethesda while the main team puts together their next-generation projects too, so I can't imagine the investment is comparable to Starfield or The Elder Scrolls VI.

All that said, I think the disappointment in the state of their tech is definitely understandable. While I do think Skyrim and Fallout 4 were pretty big leaps in some respects, there are a lot of aspects where Bethesda's technology is lagging behind. Some bugs have stayed unfixed since Morrowind, there are mechanics that you would expect to exist but don't (ladders, for example) and their recent games have a generally dated look to character models and animations when compared to the bulk of open-world games out these days. All of these are problems that I imagine Bethesda will have to fix (I mean, Fallout 4 sold gangbusters, so I can't imagine Bethesda is in dire straits, but trying not to fall too behind the curve would be helpful, as company fortunes can change rather quickly).

I do find it understandable, consider their efficiency at this point and their tightly-knit team dynamics, that they might not want to rethink the technology from the ground up (plus, their game design inevitably leads to more bugs than more constrained experiences*), but I guess it might eventually become something they'll just need to do. Transitions like that are traumatic though, just look at what happened to BioWare as they switched engine.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the bugs would be funny if F76 looked like a fun game, but it does not look like a fun game, so the bugs are just sad

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Their new Starfield game apparently went into production immediately after FO4 - so are we to assume that it's also going to be built on this same loving engine?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Their new Starfield game apparently went into production immediately after FO4 - so are we to assume that it's also going to be built on this same loving engine?

I would imagine they will be updating the engine for the next console generation. Starfield and FO5 are likely PS5/Xbox2 games

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Bardeh posted:

The majority of it will be, but they'll update how the engine renders. It'll be a leap similar to the one between Fallout 3 and Oblivion.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

I would imagine they will be updating the engine for the next console generation. Starfield and FO5 are likely PS5/Xbox2 games

Xbox One Two

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Paul Zuvella posted:

Sure, but does 'updating' mean 'using an entirely new one' or 'keep attaching new features to the same ancient one'? Because as FO76 is showing, even if they call it 'Creation Engine' it still has some deep-seated underlying issues that have been around since Morrowind.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Paul Zuvella posted:

maybe this time more fps will make you slower

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
A super mutant? At this year, before the Master started making super mutants, on the other side of the country, localized entirely within West Virginia?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

spit on my clit posted:

A super mutant? At this year, before the Master started making super mutants, on the other side of the country, localized entirely within West Virginia?

The game will provide a retcon to explain it.

Also I heard rumours the next star wars movie is going yo have another death star.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Tei posted:

The game will provide a retcon to explain it.

Also I heard rumours the next star wars movie is going yo have another death star.

May I see it?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bardeh posted:

Sure, but does 'updating' mean 'using an entirely new one' or 'keep attaching new features to the same ancient one'? Because as FO76 is showing, even if they call it 'Creation Engine' it still has some deep-seated underlying issues that have been around since Morrowind.

I would imagine there will be a similar situation from when they forked off of Gamebryo to Creation. They will use Creation as a codebase to make a new engine with new features. How much of a jump they make is impossible to really know. Given Bethesda's track record, its safe to assume graphical improvements and some new features and a lot of the same bugs.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
......No

QuintessenceX
Aug 11, 2006
We are reasons so unreal
Yeah I get that the beta is a buggy pos but I had fun. Ended up reclaiming a farm, noticed that there was a quest to increase it's power supply. Went to the local substation to try to repair but it turns out the issue was much bigger than the substation. Had to go to the power plant near Charleston and ended up restoring power to the entire region in order to complete the quest. All because of this started because of a random world quest. Good times.

RagnarokZ
May 14, 2004

Emperor of the Internet

Piell posted:

That loving first early quarry in Fallout 4 is still broken, STILL loving BROKEN.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
a big thing to keep in mind is that if a company is focusing on console development, they probably may not even realize the various ways gpu-based physics is affecting their game. for a long long time you would have guns do extra damage in d2 at higher frames, weapons with tracking wouldn't track at 60 fps, and the various player-launchers would gib you at above 30 fps.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

QuintessenceX posted:

Yeah I get that the beta is a buggy pos but I had fun.

Beta? This is the game, friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Hav posted:

'getting good' is different from dying. One tends to not end in the cessation of all functions. The other usually involves a complete collapse in funding.

My overall point is that a fondly held desire is not necessarily the only thing that can happen.

I was using your exact words! You said "They've moved business models and genres, so they're going to need to adapt or die."

If those are the two options, I think they are going to die because nothing I've seen has shown me they can adapt.