Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Goddamn does it ever annoy me when one of my vegan friends tries to get me to eat some plant-based alternative of a good food which they insist tastes "Just as good as the real thing!!!" which isn't ever true unless you haven't had any frame of reference on what dairy or honey or meat tastes like for at least a decade

Let's just get tofu curry or something instead of you dragging me to yet another trendy vegan cafe-shaped monument to self-delusion and misery

Like I don't get off on the exploitation of cows but vegan cheesecake is a culinary travesty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

why don't apartments just let me fuckin control the goddamn temperature? I'm paying rent, I should be able to say how warm it is in my apartment.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Riatsala posted:

Goddamn does it ever annoy me when one of my vegan friends tries to get me to eat some plant-based alternative of a good food which they insist tastes "Just as good as the real thing!!!" which isn't ever true unless you haven't had any frame of reference on what dairy or honey or meat tastes like for at least a decade
I really don't understand the existence of fake meat products. They're bad. Objectively bad. Doesn't matter whether you're comparing them to real meat or to other foods that aren't pretending to be meat, they're bad. There are tons of great foods that don't involve animal products and I'll happily eat them any time, but fake meat is always awful and I don't know why anyone eats it. How does a market exist for this stuff?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The impossible burger tastes like beef if you're drunk

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Tiggum posted:

I really don't understand the existence of fake meat products. They're bad. Objectively bad. Doesn't matter whether you're comparing them to real meat or to other foods that aren't pretending to be meat, they're bad. There are tons of great foods that don't involve animal products and I'll happily eat them any time, but fake meat is always awful and I don't know why anyone eats it. How does a market exist for this stuff?

You got me man, black bean burgers are delicious but anything called "Grillerz" or whatever pretending to be meat? Never good. Never been good. Made primarily to entrap life long carnivores trying to take heed of doctors bearing dire omens is my best guess

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I get that. Just call it what it is and I’ll try it. Call it meat substitute and I will not want to eat it. Regular meat is good enough for me right now.

FluxFaun posted:

why don't apartments just let me fuckin control the goddamn temperature? I'm paying rent, I should be able to say how warm it is in my apartment.

You just have vents and no thermostat? Do they make you pay electricity?

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

I have a thermostat and a vent but it doesn't actually do anything until they turn it on. Electricity is included in my rent. Maybe I'll just fuckin turn on the oven and open the door.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Riatsala posted:

You got me man, black bean burgers are delicious but anything called "Grillerz" or whatever pretending to be meat? Never good. Never been good. Made primarily to entrap life long carnivores trying to take heed of doctors bearing dire omens is my best guess

Black bean or chickpea patties rule when you just accept them for what they are and top appropriately. It's a "vegan burger" in the sense that it does not taste like a standard beef burger but does hit the spot of being a thicker, fattier, more filling sandwich where a tasty but light veggie sandwich does not.

But vegan chicken nuggets and hot dogs are fine. Not like, "go try them" but they're of comparable quality to regular cheap meat tubes.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

FluxFaun posted:

I have a thermostat and a vent but it doesn't actually do anything until they turn it on. Electricity is included in my rent. Maybe I'll just fuckin turn on the oven and open the door.

If ‘electricity included in rent’ means your kW usage doesn’t fluctuate the overall cost of your rent, I’d do what I needed to do to stay warm/cool/healthy.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Rolo posted:

If ‘electricity included in rent’ means your kW usage doesn’t fluctuate the overall cost of your rent, I’d do what I needed to do to stay warm/cool/healthy.

My last apartment was like this and I kept it how I liked it and the landlord flipped out on me and asked me if I could add in 50 dollars a month to cover my "absurd" electricity usage. I said no because it said it's included in the rent and he called me a wasteful american and was rude to me until I moved out. I felt a little bad, but hey, if you live somewhere like germany where electricity is really expensive compared to the US, maybe don't give your tenant free reign on it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That reminds me of when I moved to Arizona and turned the thermostat down to 70 because I was hot.

My roommate poo poo.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

But vegan chicken nuggets and hot dogs are fine. Not like, "go try them" but they're of comparable quality to regular cheap meat tubes.
I've only tried vegan nuggets once, but they were really bad. Maybe there's different kinds, but the ones from Lord of the Fries are not at all comparable to real chicken nuggets. That could just be because Lord of the Fries is terrible though. Even their chips are bad and that's their whole reason for existing.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

That is a spectacularly bad name for a food company

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Rolo posted:

That reminds me of when I moved to Arizona and turned the thermostat down to 70 because I was hot.

My roommate poo poo.

After 5 years I'm up to 77. That's my limit.

Back in ID I never let it get above 68. Here in AZ that would literally fry the building's wiring in the attempt.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Pastry of the Year posted:

That is a spectacularly bad name for a food company

How so? I've always thought that the name was the only good thing about it.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

Engineer: Can you open the model for the widget for me? I'll be there in a few minutes. *shows up 20 minutes later*

summer 2007

Project engineer, technically my superior: “Hey Bobby, can you come in on Sunday and help me get my project forecasts cleaned up for the report due next week?”

“I guess.”

“Great, I’ll see you at 8am!”

What the gently caress.

I showed up at 8, he wasn’t there. I called him at 8:15, didn’t answer. Called him at 8:30, didn’t answer, left a voicemail saying I was leaving at 8:45 if I hadn’t heard from him.

He finally calls at noon and is upset I’m not at the office.

Then he tries to get me in trouble with our district manager for “not showing up”. It didn’t work but what the hell man.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tiggum posted:

How so? I've always thought that the name was the only good thing about it.

lord of the flies has a scene where they sodomize a pig and take deep whiffs of its poo poo

they also get diarrhea after eating too much fruit like shits

there's a lotta feces in that story, is the point

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I like the name but Lord of the Flies is indeed not an appetizing thing to think about. I don't doubt they have bad vegan nuggets.

But decent ones exist. Pretty comparable to McDonald's nuggets, you probably won't love them after age 8 but they serve. It's not like anyone orders chicken nuggets for the meat's flavour. Vegan hot dogs are also comparable to cheap supermarket dogs, but less forgivable since actually-good-tasting dogs exist.

I guess my point is that salty, processed meat parts and salty, processed soy protein mushed up into a shape ends up being pretty similar. I'm fairly certain a lot of cheap processed meats like that even use soy as a filler.

Fun fact: my elementary/middle school burgers had a very distinct taste that I never experienced anywhere else until college, when I was an on-again off-again vegetarian/vegan for years. Guess what soy burgers taste like??

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 13:54 on Nov 1, 2018

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

I would definitely rather go to a fast food place called Lord of the Fries than something with a normal name

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Andrast posted:

I would definitely rather go to a fast food place called Lord of the Fries than something with a normal name

Only if the sign is a pig's head on a tall stake and you place your drive-thru order via a conch shell

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

Only if the sign is a pig's head on a tall stake

It isn't.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

How is Sushi Hub?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Well then, sucks to your rear end-mar!

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

but comforters breathe and sheets stick to you, and god help you if you sweat during sleep.

this is the statement of a madman, sheets are not warmer than comforters, the very idea is insanity

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Andrast posted:

What if instead, it was Lord of the Onion Rings?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

mojo1701a posted:

What if instead, it was Lord of the Onion Rings?

That's good too

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

How is Sushi Hub?

No idea, never been.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It peeves how legitimate concerns with food production end up getting adopted by/lumped in with the woo woo antivaxx crystal non GMO poo poo and then consequently ignored by the general populace.

Like for example, overusing antibiotics in livestock is a concern. Not because the antibiotics in your kid's meal burger will give little Breighden autism but because it produces immense pressure on bacteria to development stronger and stronger antibiotic-resistant strains. This has obvious implications for human health, because sometimes we need to use antibiotics on sick people instead of just mass-medicating cattle and pigs.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It peeves how legitimate concerns with food production end up getting adopted by/lumped in with the woo woo antivaxx crystal non GMO poo poo and then consequently ignored by the general populace.

Like for example, overusing antibiotics in livestock is a concern. Not because the antibiotics in your kid's meal burger will give little Breighden autism but because it produces immense pressure on bacteria to development stronger and stronger antibiotic-resistant strains. This has obvious implications for human health, because sometimes we need to use antibiotics on sick people instead of just mass-medicating cattle and pigs.

I hear that people taste like pork

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Someone seriously just laid on their horn because they had to stop short when I braked for still traffic. I'm pretty sure I'm not responsible for the distance of the cars behind me? How does that work.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If you ring something up and it's the wrong price and you get corrected by the customer, don't get all huffy as if I'm inconveniencing you or being a cheap rear end in a top hat. I just want to pay the price you advertised. If I'm wrong, tell me off, I deserve it, but if (when) I'm right, just apologize and tell your manager to update the drat computers. I know they won't because they count on people not noticing or being too meek to say anything and pocketing the extra money, but it's not MY fault you work for someone trying to cheat customers out of a few extra bucks.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Brawnfire posted:

Someone seriously just laid on their horn because they had to stop short when I braked for still traffic. I'm pretty sure I'm not responsible for the distance of the cars behind me? How does that work.

This bothers the gently caress out of me. I'm 100% ready for automated cars, but in the meantime I really wish we could get the point across that drivers are not responsible for what goes on behind them in the lane.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Queen Combat posted:

After 5 years I'm up to 77. That's my limit.

Back in ID I never let it get above 68. Here in AZ that would literally fry the building's wiring in the attempt.

In MN I do 65 in the winter and 74 in the summer. I used to do 78 in the summer but then I replaced my 30 year old AC system. Now I could probably set AC to 50 if I wanted. That might cost a few bucks though.

Pet peeve: People that are always unbearably cold or hot even though the temperature in the building never varies more than a degree year round. I've never worked at a company where this wasn't the case. People smuggling in space heaters because it's cold outside, even though the office temperature is the same 72 that it was in the summer.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Can someone explain to me why credit card chips exist? I don't understand how they're supposed to increase security when any fraudster who's spoofed my card number can just swipe the magnetic strip instead. They especially don't increase security when they don't work and I have to insert my card three times and then swipe, wasting my time, the cashier's time, and the time of everyone behind me in line. If it does increase security somehow, I will willingly take less security in exchange for not wasting 15 seconds every transaction, please. Alternately, make the contacts out of stainless steel or something else that doesn't oxidize after being in my pocket for two weeks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

Can someone explain to me why credit card chips exist? I don't understand how they're supposed to increase security when any fraudster who's spoofed my card number can just swipe the magnetic strip instead. They especially don't increase security when they don't work and I have to insert my card three times and then swipe, wasting my time, the cashier's time, and the time of everyone behind me in line. If it does increase security somehow, I will willingly take less security in exchange for not wasting 15 seconds every transaction, please. Alternately, make the contacts out of stainless steel or something else that doesn't oxidize after being in my pocket for two weeks.

It sounds like they don't work properly in America, but you're not supposed to be able to swipe your card if there's a chip reader available. The magnetic strip is only there for places that haven't upgraded their readers yet, and the chip-readers only have swipe facilities for cards that haven't upgraded yet.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tiggum posted:

It sounds like they don't work properly in America, but you're not supposed to be able to swipe your card if there's a chip reader available. The magnetic strip is only there for places that haven't upgraded their readers yet, and the chip-readers only have swipe facilities for cards that haven't upgraded yet.

What happens (here in 'Murica) is it goes "can't read chip, try again", and you try again, and you try a third time, and after the third time it says "oh well swipe that poo poo i guess" and then the mag strip goes through just fine. If you just start off with the mag stripe, it gets angry and tells you to use the chip.

If it didn't let you do that, I wouldn't be able to buy anything because, as discussed, the chip contacts oxidize after the slightest contact with leg-sweat. So I am baffled at how this system is ever supposed to work. You either undermine the supposed security increase by allowing mag swiping, or you make it impossible to make purchases with a card after about a month. :confused:

edit: I feel like I'm being an idiot, like seriously, there must be something I'm missing here. Someone tell me why i'm an idiot, please!

DontMockMySmock has a new favorite as of 06:06 on Nov 4, 2018

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Just store your card in a wallet like a normal person instead of in your butt crack or wherever is it is that you're profusely sweating on it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

DontMockMySmock posted:

What happens (here in 'Murica) is it goes "can't read chip, try again", and you try again, and you try a third time, and after the third time it says "oh well swipe that poo poo i guess" and then the mag strip goes through just fine. If you just start off with the mag stripe, it gets angry and tells you to use the chip.

If it didn't let you do that, I wouldn't be able to buy anything because, as discussed, the chip contacts oxidize after the slightest contact with leg-sweat. So I am baffled at how this system is ever supposed to work. You either undermine the supposed security increase by allowing mag swiping, or you make it impossible to make purchases with a card after about a month. :confused:

edit: I feel like I'm being an idiot, like seriously, there must be something I'm missing here. Someone tell me why i'm an idiot, please!

I'm in the US and the chip reader works everywhere I've been

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

Inspector 34 posted:

Just store your card in a wallet like a normal person instead of in your butt crack or wherever is it is that you're profusely sweating on it.

It is in a wallet. Is your wallet airtight?

edit: and that still leaves the question of wtf the chip is even for if you can just swipe anyway. Even if the chip worked it'd be pointless wouldn't it?

DontMockMySmock has a new favorite as of 06:15 on Nov 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Hey man you're the one who stated sweat as the cause of your problems. I've heard plenty of people complain about chips but usually it just comes down to not following directions on the terminal. You're the only one I've come across who admits fault and still blames the technology.

Edit: I do agree that it's pretty stupid to just allow a swipe when the chip fails though

Inspector 34 has a new favorite as of 06:22 on Nov 4, 2018