Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So how much do I miss out on if I do not have a completed save? I did complete True Pacifist on Undertale, but lost it due to circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

I knew that as soon as I saw that shirt design, everyone just sorta being similar to other monsters on Undertale and the fountain heart thing I was like "Oh no. OH NO". Well, at least that explains why stuff is so high tech at the end when you leave at the end of Undertale, if monster tech is somewhat modern on this setting. Definitely a prequel.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

I can't beat the secret boss. I nearly did it the first time but Ralsei was down when he finally got tired and I was out of healing items, and every run since has gone worse.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Unlucky7 posted:

So how much do I miss out on if I do not have a completed save? I did complete True Pacifist on Undertale, but lost it due to circumstances.

I'm wonder what, if anything it changes. Since apparently your previous save doesn't affect the ending and all the characters have different roles and relationships I feel like it's pretty subtle if it's anything at all?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

iospace posted:

I'm reading it as a sequel. If you go as far south as you can in the town map after school, you find a pair of doors that quite clearly lead underground.

Definitely not just a sequel. Undyne doesn't know who Alphys is, Bratty and Catty don't really know each other, and Toriel talks about how when you were younger you asked when your horns would grow in, implying you've lived with them since you were really young, if not your whole life. Probably some other small details I'm forgetting at the moment too. This seems more like a different world altogether.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I really hope this game doesn’t do meta narrative like undertale did. I think he played that out fully and he should tell a different kind of story this time. He shouldn’t write himself into a corner as “the meta narrative guy”

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
So this is Steel Ball Run?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

iospace posted:

I'm reading it as a sequel. If you go as far south as you can in the town map after school, you find a pair of doors that quite clearly lead underground.

looks more like a prequel to me. maybe they went underground after this?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Watched a playthrough as I won't be able to play this myself for a while. It does say "To Be Continued in Chapter 2", so I guess this actually is a full game but it's just being released episodically this time around. That said, I like how the battle system is set up like more. Of a traditional RPG while still maintaining some mechanics from the original.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Oct 31, 2018

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

lol if it's not it should be

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kunster posted:

I knew that as soon as I saw that shirt design, everyone just sorta being similar to other monsters on Undertale and the fountain heart thing I was like "Oh no. OH NO". Well, at least that explains why stuff is so high tech at the end when you leave at the end of Undertale, if monster tech is somewhat modern on this setting. Definitely a prequel.
There are too many inconsistencies for it to be a prequel though. Toriel and Asgore are divorced, Asriel is in college, both kids are much older, to name a few.

Xinder posted:

I really hope this game doesn’t do meta narrative like undertale did. I think he played that out fully and he should tell a different kind of story this time. He shouldn’t write himself into a corner as “the meta narrative guy”
That's one of the things it did best and what made Undertale stand head and shoulders above a lot of other indie games though, it would be a shame to throw all of that away and just write a basic RPG. I do agree that he should tell a different kind of story (and I hope that he is) but I would be disappointed if everything is just played straight.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I hope all goes well with Sans Undertale taking the napkin

It’s pretty apt to compare the two so far.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Xinder posted:

I'd say it's probably already too late for that considering the intro, and the way the game is already drawing a distinction between Kris and [YOUR NAME HERE]

I do think Toby could make a great story that doesn't break the fourth wall or do anything crazy, but it would be weird for the undertale thing featuring the characters from undertale to just drop all the meta stuff, imo.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
also I lost all my screenshots (took like 40, rip) but can we all appreciate that he put onionsan in the game

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Snake Maze posted:

I'd say it's probably already too late for that considering the intro, and the way the game is already drawing a distinction between Kris and [YOUR NAME HERE]

I do think Toby could make a great story that doesn't break the fourth wall or do anything crazy, but it would be weird for the undertale thing featuring the characters from undertale to just drop all the meta stuff, imo.

the intro stuff is all immediately discarded tho with the “you don’t get to choose who you are” and throwing away your created character.

I’m not saying drop everything meta, but I’d be disappointed if it was this whole frisk/chara meta narrative the way undertale was.

“Less” meta I suppose is what I’m asking for. As good as that was, rehashing old success usually makes for a mediocre followup.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Your Computer posted:

There are too many inconsistencies for it to be a prequel though. Toriel and Asgore are divorced, Asriel is in college, both kids are much older, to name a few.

That's one of the things it did best and what made Undertale stand head and shoulders above a lot of other indie games though, it would be a shame to throw all of that away and just write a basic RPG. I do agree that he should tell a different kind of story (and I hope that he is) but I would be disappointed if everything is just played straight.

I think Asriel is dead. Everyone sort of dances around the issue in a way that implies it, to me anyway.

That, or he's trapped in the new-underground area. It's more likely something happened that caused him to run away, and it's convenient to say he's "in college". I'm going with he's alive, but gone after thinking about it some more.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I'm going to assume alternate universe for this one as the monsters were driven Underground a good while before the original game began and the first human didn't fall down there until later. Kris does look a bit like Chara though, Undyne doesn't know who Alphys is like someone else pointed out and monsters and humans seem to be living together on the surface in a modern setting. Assuming this is coming out episodically perhaps future chapters will shed a bit more light on things.

This does look interesting at the very least though, looking forward to more.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Re-entering the game after closing it, I don't have the option to go back to my save. That is very irritating.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Best boss, by the way:

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Were there other humans in the epilogue? From what I could tell, Kris seemed like they were the only human there

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

iospace posted:

I think Asriel is dead. Everyone sort of dances around the issue in a way that implies it, to me anyway.

That, or he's trapped in the new-underground area. It's more likely something happened that caused him to run away, and it's convenient to say he's "in college". I'm going with he's alive, but gone after thinking about it some more.

i didnt get that vibe at all. To me there was a sort of FLCL vibe of Asriel being your older brother that was super popular and everybody loved then he went to America university and now everyone tries to treat you as his less cool replacement instead of your own person. The last part is definitely more an FLCL thing than something I noticed from deltarune but either way Asriel being dead feels like a weird stretch.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
can't wait for dominic white's article re-expressing his love for toriel

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Your Computer posted:

Well, that makes the emotional hit less harsh, even if I still feel kinda bad about Susie going thru a journey from a potentially murderer-y loner to a somewhat kind pal thanks to Kris and Asriel only for Kris to poo poo the bed and potential mess everything up for everyone in Monsterkind. I should have been tipped that this was something else when Gerson was already dead on the graveyard.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Dr. Fetus posted:

People found that the game looks at the date and time for whatever reason upon bootup. And there are quite a few references to "tomorrow" within the game. Maybe Toby will have something more to say by tomorrow?

Well, he did say to wait 24 hours before discussing the game.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

DELTARUNE is an anagram of UNDERTALE!

cooooough syyyyyrup......

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Well, he did say to wait 24 hours before discussing the game.

Oh no, he’s gonna use a tracker bot in each download to ban everyone who discusses this from playing chapter 2!

I’m sorry Toby!!!

Procrastine
Mar 30, 2011

Your Computer posted:

also I lost all my screenshots (took like 40, rip) but can we all appreciate that he put onionsan in the game

Where was he? I think I saw an Everyman cameo in the bonus boss but I only saw him on one attempt. Not sure whether he's a very rare spawn or I just imagined seeing him.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xinder posted:

I’m not saying drop everything meta, but I’d be disappointed if it was this whole frisk/chara meta narrative the way undertale was.

Well, I can agree with that. I don't think it is going in the same direction though, or even could at this point. You/"chara" only show up as a murderous psychopath by doing a genocide run, which is the entire meta-narrative aspect of it. In this game it apparently shows up regardless of what you do/did, which uh.... I don't know why and I don't get it, but it certainly doesn't seem to be going for the same thing. Like I said, I'm more worried that it's making "chara" a character that doesn't have anything to do with the player (removing the meta aspect) because that kinda retroactively ruins what made it good in the previous game.

Procrastine posted:

Where was he? I think I saw an Everyman cameo in the bonus boss but I only saw him on one attempt. Not sure whether he's a very rare spawn or I just imagined seeing him.
To the right of dad's store, you gotta stand in the dirt patch in front of the pond and after a while he'll rise out of the water :pram:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Well, I can agree with that. I don't think it is going in the same direction though, or even could at this point. You/"chara" only show up as a murderous psychopath by doing a genocide run, which is the entire meta-narrative aspect of it. In this game it apparently shows up regardless of what you do/did, which uh.... I don't know why and I don't get it, but it certainly doesn't seem to be going for the same thing. Like I said, I'm more worried that it's making "chara" a character that doesn't have anything to do with the player (removing the meta aspect) because that kinda retroactively ruins what made it good in the previous game.

To the right of dad's store, you gotta stand in the dirt patch in front of the pond and after a while he'll rise out of the water :pram:

To be fair, this is only Part 1 of the story. I'm guessing this will all be explained in further detail as things progress.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Your Computer posted:

That character is already a character within the first game. The monsters tell you the story of the first kid that fell into the underground, that's who Chara is, that's why Asriel mistakes Frisk for Chara, they look very similar. You as the player basically influence them into being a murdering psychopath if you do a genocide run. I'm assuming part of whatever the rest of this game will be will involve Chara either showing up more or less depending on how much you try to fight things, which should be interesting because you have a party now instead of just being on your own.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yeah, I'm waiting for the full game to be released, because right now, I can't really make heads or tails of what's going on here.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I've always been a fan of the idea that Frisk was responsible for their own actions in the game but Chara was still with you regardless serving as the narrator (neither of them being necessarily completely good or completely evil).

Through your actions you therefore either pacify their soul and allow them to pass on or you piss them off, causing them to turn the tables on you at the end. The game seems to make it pretty clear that whatever happens during a Genocide run is explicitly your fault at any rate.

All the game actually tells us about Chara is that they hated humanity and weren't "the greatest person". I mostly took that to mean angry, potentially abused child as opposed to murderous psychopath.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Oct 31, 2018

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Xad posted:

That character is already a character within the first game. The monsters tell you the story of the first kid that fell into the underground, that's who Chara is, that's why Asriel mistakes Frisk for Chara, they look very similar. You as the player basically influence them into being a murdering psychopath if you do a genocide run. I'm assuming part of whatever the rest of this game will be will involve Chara either showing up more or less depending on how much you try to fight things, which should be interesting because you have a party now instead of just being on your own.
I know, I might've phrased that weirdly because that's what I was trying to say :v: I'm certainly interested in seeing where they'll take it, just kinda had a bad first impression.

Larryb posted:

To be fair, this is only Part 1 of the story. I'm guessing this will all be explained in further detail as things progress.
Oh for sure, I'm just throwing some thoughts out there. I'm very excited to see where it goes and apart from that oddity (for now at least) I friggin' loved this.

Spacemarine9
Feb 24, 2013
it looks like there's at least one mysterious secret room to be found; in the room that darkens when you walk around the centre.

If you leave the room using the exit on the left, there's a small chance to teleport somewhere completely different (it took me ~20 tries), where you can get a mysterious item, which I haven't found a use for.

Not sure if there are any other places where this can happen: I think the thing to look for is the music track restarting when changing screens.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
maybe this is one of those alternate timelines sans was going on about

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just had a thought - we all know Deltarune is an anagram of Undertale right? Well, it certainly is the same characters but rearranged.

End of Shoelace
Apr 5, 2016
here is my guess:

this is a sort of dark tower "world has moved on" + bioshock infinite repeating narrative alternate universe thing. the entirety of the dark world chapter 1 feels like a super-condensed undertale: lancer is an amalgam of papyrus/undyne thematically, you run into a goat person in a ruined kingdom, you go and beat a king for the macguffin, who himself is an amalgam of asgore/flowey/sans.

im getting the feeling that the light world is a similar kind of thing. its the ultimate dream of the undertale fan, almost naive; you are actually the son of toriel and asgore, your brother is asriel, and youve lived in a town of beloved characters for as long as youve known. yet there's hints that something's off; it's all a bit too good to be true, and you have a very hard time remembering what you've done only yesterday.

since every playthrough of undertale is a separate timeline and every instance of undertale is a separate universe, all of the events of the game have happened, regardless if only you yourself got whichever ending; there are thousands of other people who got the genocide ending and released chara. i think he's now hopping between universes through the dark fountains, instead of timelines. gaster is probably messing some poo poo up, causing the fountains to appear.

also, a theory. the darkness that gaster is talking about is the darkness in the typical invisible spaces of the RPG game world. there is significantly more of it in the dark world. could be that gaster glitched himself "out of bounds", into the infinite darkness.

End of Shoelace fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 31, 2018

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The stuff when you talk to Sans is way too wink-nudgey for this to be anything other than some time/reality fuckery though how relevant that will actually be to the main story remains to be seen

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Xinder posted:

Oh no, he’s gonna use a tracker bot in each download to ban everyone who discusses this from playing chapter 2!

I’m sorry Toby!!!

I meant he might release more information tomorrow.

so did Papyrus get unpersoned somehow? That's distressing...he was my favorite...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

This is Gaster's world, or at least an alternate timeline. Apart from all the major inconsistencies and sort-of-callbacks, you can see the Gaster followers around town, but in normal-looking variants. Not to mention the twitter/intro text is in the same formatting as Gaster's text hidden in Undertale. Deltarune being an anagram and Kris/Ralsei being not-quite anagrams fits the whole theory of a 'close, but not quite' alternate world.