Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schneider Inside Her posted:

i think weed is ok to do but other drugs are a bit dicey nowadays. Capitalism has even taken hold of drug dealers

there's never been a junkie or tweaker who isn't a complete jackass or worse unless they're completely off the stuff and have been for like, years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

drug use is vastly boring to hear about if you're not a teen

Be fair, the saga of da joose was pretty funny.

https://twitter.com/3liza/status/1007159329466667008?s=21

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Gotta follow a link from my forums to twitter to read about a thread in my forums.

Noice.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Is that the arm reduction one, I love the arm reduction one

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Outrail posted:

Gotta follow a link from my forums to twitter to read about a thread in my forums.

Noice.

Think of it as a highlight reel.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I substitute for pre-k, kindergarten, and 1st graders. I can confirm that child zombies are a legit thing. Also, we've had to add extra curriculum on emotions because so many children have 0 ability to recognize what other people are feeling (and themselves too).

There are almost no subs for those grades. Also a lot of the full time teachers of those grades are only doing it to get a foot in the door of the school system and want to move to higher grades ASAP.

*edit* Upon getting my certificate I plan on removing the computers from my classroom.

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Darth Walrus posted:

Think of it as a highlight reel.

and what a reel

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

I substitute for pre-k, kindergarten, and 1st graders. I can confirm that child zombies are a legit thing. Also, we've had to add extra curriculum on emotions because so many children have 0 ability to recognize what other people are feeling (and themselves too).

There are almost no subs for those grades. Also a lot of the full time teachers of those grades are only doing it to get a foot in the door of the school system and want to move to higher grades ASAP.

*edit* Upon getting my certificate I plan on removing the computers from my classroom.

There was a story on the radio the other day about a few studies finding kids are not developing fine motor skills like, at all, because they don't handle pencils or color or do crafts anywhere near as much as they used to. It was in the context of "all these people are coming to med school to be surgeons and they can't do delicate poo poo with their hands" so look forward to that the next time you need major surgery

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Eliza is incredibly good and an old poster and her efforts to document the insane poo poo on the forums so they aren't lost to time are appreciated

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shame Boy posted:

There was a story on the radio the other day about a few studies finding kids are not developing fine motor skills like, at all, because they don't handle pencils or color or do crafts anywhere near as much as they used to. It was in the context of "all these people are coming to med school to be surgeons and they can't do delicate poo poo with their hands" so look forward to that the next time you need major surgery

oh gently caress I'm coming up on 30 man I don't wanna hear this poo poo

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Shame Boy posted:

itll be like airplanes eventually, you just need an assistant to monitor the auto-surgeon robot

funny about that time in between tho

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

kids are also having trouble developing the eye muscles needed to track and read text on a page, too, since they're more used to their eyes darting all over a screen or reading search results in an F-shaped pattern

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Shame Boy posted:

lmao that owns

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

boar guy posted:

kids are also having trouble developing the eye muscles needed to track and read text on a page, too, since they're more used to their eyes darting all over a screen or reading search results in an F-shaped pattern

I had this problem for a long while until I sat down and forced myself to read books again

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Shame Boy posted:

I was a P.E. teacher at a new school, for an entire week, about a month ago. They still played elimination dodgeball, full court basketball, and a bunch of other stuff that no other school is doing anymore (I was following the PE teachers lesson plans).

Surprisingly happy kids.

There's one school I sub at that the children are actually banned from even running at recess.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Shame Boy posted:

This is absolutely real. Now combine it with an intense desire to avoid difficulties, you know, loving up until you get it right -- otherwise known as learning a skill.

You can remember facts and understand ideas, but what the gently caress good is it if you can't use a pencil and have only rudimentary ability to input to a keyboard. Pro tier tap skills tho.

Seriously some of the kids I seen basically have flippers attached to arms instead of hands.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

once you get past the stigma of iv drug use it's smooth sailing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

207-563-5532 posted:

that thread owns. ican do ultimate pleasure drug all the time, its no big deal. *a year passes* sold my body again today

WET BUTT posted:

Dr Stigma: We're going to have to amputate your arm you stupid idiot retard
Me: *spins around really fast so my dead arm knocks all the doctors and nurses surrounding me to the ground* *picks up heroin syringe in mouth, leaps out of hospital window like a dog*

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

spacetoaster posted:

I was a P.E. teacher at a new school, for an entire week, about a month ago. They still played elimination dodgeball, full court basketball, and a bunch of other stuff that no other school is doing anymore (I was following the PE teachers lesson plans).

Surprisingly happy kids.

There's one school I sub at that the children are actually banned from even running at recess.

When I was in Junior high one of the gym teachers said when he retired he was going to spend his last week playing dodgeball because what are they going to do fire him

The junior high and high school we're right next to each other, and when he retired the whole high school skipped classes in stages to go play dodgeball

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

when my wife did her surgical rotation i learned how your surgeon has probably been at work for around 16 hours before bustin a mad slizzice on your insides

one of her attendings was a transplant surgeon who was paid per procedure. his workweek was all 36+ hour shifts broken up by sleeping in his office for 18 hours at a time and getting all of his calories in two big meals a week

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

When I was in Junior high one of the gym teachers said when he retired he was going to spend his last week playing dodgeball because what are they going to do fire him

The junior high and high school we're right next to each other, and when he retired the whole high school skipped classes in stages to go play dodgeball

Technology is our friend.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Spo...odgeballs&psc=1

You can throw one of these, full strength, directly into someones face and it's fine.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

SniperWoreConverse posted:

This is absolutely real. Now combine it with an intense desire to avoid difficulties, you know, loving up until you get it right -- otherwise known as learning a skill.

You can remember facts and understand ideas, but what the gently caress good is it if you can't use a pencil and have only rudimentary ability to input to a keyboard. Pro tier tap skills tho.

Seriously some of the kids I seen basically have flippers attached to arms instead of hands.

in a similar vein, most olds think that children will be great at programming when they’re older but in reality they’re just proficient at using Web 2.0 websites, or even just apps

i think it’s really bad because these kids are addicted and squandering their youth, but this is supposed to be the “best” educated and healthy generation mankind will ever have

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jel Shaker posted:

n reality they’re just proficient at using Web 2.0 websites, or even just apps

Yeah... They're not ever learning how to actually do anything. Like might as well say someone is very proficient at posting. Even if true, so what really.

lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Moridin920 posted:

Yeah... They're not ever learning how to actually do anything. Like might as well say someone is very proficient at posting. Even if true, so what really.

lol

You say that now but I'll be laughing come the apocalypse when I live in a golden palace bought with my scalding hot takes

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only people who learned to program in the course of using a computer for basic stuff was people like my dad that had Commodores and poo poo.

That thing about people's eyes not tracking a page right is wild though. I pretty rarely read paper books but I dont have that problem. I do read kindle stuff on my phone daily though. I guess books are boring compared to auto-generated advertising mediums or something

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
The funniest opinion I heard was that not giving your child a smartphone and tablet from a young age and limiting their access to it will make them 'digitally disabled' in an 'increasingly digital world'

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
olds also scolded parents about the deleterious effects of television, rock music, movie theaters, and comic books upon their children's developing minds

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

olds also scolded parents about the deleterious effects of television, rock music, movie theaters, and comic books upon their children's developing minds

I suppose if you had a generation of kids that did absolutely nothing but be glued to a TV screen and were addicted to it, it would also be developmentally stunted.

But I like your school of thought that what kids do in their developmental years has no bearing on their future.

steinrokkan has issued a correction as of 20:10 on Oct 31, 2018

double negative
Jul 7, 2003

please knock Mom! posted:

The funniest opinion I heard was that not giving your child a smartphone and tablet from a young age and limiting their access to it will make them 'digitally disabled' in an 'increasingly digital world'

that’s rich given that wealthy parents, particularly those that made their wealth through the tech industry, are going to great lengths to manage and limit (i.e making their nannies do it) their children’s access to technology because they recognize the harm it can do

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

My younger kids have no phone. My 13 year old daughter just got a 10 dollar tracphone flip-phone for calling 4 people (me, my wife, and grandparents).

Every week my decision is justified (in my mind) by seeing the horrible poo poo that happens to kids that have smartphones.

And yes, I've had people say that I'm "stunting" my children's social life. lol

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

TV doesn't give perverts the ability to communicate/get photos/get locations/personal info/etc of kids.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I welcome our Blindsight future

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

spacetoaster posted:

Technology is our friend.

https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Spo...odgeballs&psc=1

You can throw one of these, full strength, directly into someones face and it's fine.

Thats not even why it's banned, entirely

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Unlike what scared olds before, social media etc. is deliberately designed to gently caress with your brain so you will continue to pour your money and your mind into their pockets

Plus, unlike TV, where there are some limited laws about what you can or can't broadcast to kids, the noble disruptors answer only to law they can't bribe

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Thats not even why it's banned, entirely

It's not banned in my school system. It's just that the teachers are terrified of getting sued.

Why is it banned where you live?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

StashAugustine posted:

I welcome our Blindsight future

I'm the anaerobic starfish aliens who view human communication as an infovirus.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

spacetoaster posted:

My younger kids have no phone. My 13 year old daughter just got a 10 dollar tracphone flip-phone for calling 4 people (me, my wife, and grandparents).

Every week my decision is justified (in my mind) by seeing the horrible poo poo that happens to kids that have smartphones.

And yes, I've had people say that I'm "stunting" my children's social life. lol

I think this is a bit too much and I would give my teen a smartphone, but yeah. I've seen 6 year olds completely addicted to tablets, to the point where they're playing with them at restaurants etc

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

I think this is a bit too much and I would give my teen a smartphone, but yeah. I've seen 6 year olds completely addicted to tablets, to the point where they're playing with them at restaurants etc

Why is it too much? What does a smartphone give a 13 year old that can't wait until they're older?

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

steinrokkan posted:

I suppose if you had a generation of kids that did absolutely nothing but be glued to a TV screen and were addicted to it, it would also be developmentally stunted.

But I like your school of thought that what kids do in their developmental years has no bearing on their future.

I'm a fan of your school of thought that what kids do in their developmental years determines their future completely

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

spacetoaster posted:

It's not banned in my school system. It's just that the teachers are terrified of getting sued.

Why is it banned where you live?

A lot of it is schools not wanting to encourage kids to gang up on people they don't like