Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Edit: the Japanese went so far as to put AA sights on their rifles to help calculate lead.
yeah but for "optimistic gun things" the japanese are the worst, these are the people that put a bayonet on a machine gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
Finnish conscripts were still trained to do that poo poo 20 years ago.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

HEY GUNS posted:

yeah but for "optimistic gun things" the japanese are the worst, these are the people that put a bayonet on a machine gun

Famously, Chesty Puller was shown a flamethrower and asked "so where do you mount the bayonet?"

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Alchenar posted:

By 'Transvaal Campaign 1880-1881' he means a 3 month 'conflict' with ~1000 total involved on each side and in which most activity consisted of Boers sniping at British forts on the next hill.

It's not representative at all.

She >:c

bewbies posted:

That all makes sense too...I guess what I find baffling is why no one did the math on the advantages of intermediate rounds once all of the other gear (machine guns and IDF and so on) came around to much more effectively engage stuff at longer ranges. I can kind of see wanting to finish out WWI with the old stuff just because of logistics and production concerns, but why on earth did they not make the switch in the intervening years? Pure organizational inertia?

The critical part of machine guns and other support weapons is not that they exist, it's that you have enough of them to use them effectively. A machine gun can usually fire accurately out to 800 m, but that does not mean that simply having one machine gun in the squad is enough to deliver effective fire at 600 m. The French experience (which I'm citing a lot because I have a paper on it at hand) was that to deliver a sufficient volume of fire at 600 m, you needed the majority of the squad to have rifles effective at 600 m. A machine gun wasn't enough. (And again, French infantry doctrine assumed a very chaotic battlefield where the squad ends up scattered, so ideally every man in the squad can deliver effective fire at 600, not just the squad as a whole.)

Also, machine guns and the trucks to carry tired machine gunners are expensive!

(Also, "doing the math" is exactly what the US did in the 50s and 60s that led to the adoption of the 5.56 NATO round.)

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

HEY GUNS posted:

with mosins? would that do anything

the army just dusted off all this stuff

"what to do if your tiger tank is attacked by a cobra"

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Hogge Wild posted:

Were any planes ever actually shot down with just rifles?

Sure. You read about it now and again. Some aircraft were more vulnerable than others of course. P51s pretty notoriously were not getting home if you put a hole in the radiator and a rifle will do that just fine.

Pilots are also less than bulletproof and barring a few dedicated ground attack aircraft usually weren’t surrounded by rifle-fire proof materials. There was a WW2 KIA recovery a few years ago that I remember from the pacific where a USN pilot was found in his wreckage with a bullet through the head from what was probably ground based rifle fire.

Unlucky but that poo poo happens.

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

HEY GUNS posted:

with mosins? would that do anything
It'll make you feel better.

Hogge Wild posted:

Quite possibly with some of the same Mosins in the less well equipped formations. I also liked the Lahti AT rifle being kept around for anti-helicopter duties. The FDF were pretty keen on shooting rifles at aircraft overall.

I think people are missing that 7.7mm class rifle rounds are absolutely fine. People can shoot them accurately out to decent distances, you can carry a reasonable amount of them, they're not uncomfortable to shoot through a rifle, they work in machine guns too and when someone is shot by one they remain shot. Until you start to get assault rifles there's really no compelling reason to go to a smaller bullet. Look at what's happening today with 6.5mm class ammunition: Absolutely sod all because 5.5mm class ammunition is fine too. Maybe not 100% optimal but fine.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

FrangibleCover posted:

Look at what's happening today with 6.5mm class ammunition: Absolutely sod all because 5.5mm class ammunition is fine too. Maybe not 100% optimal but fine.

6.5 Grendel, because Alexander Arms needs a military contract damnit!

FrangibleCover
Jan 23, 2018

Nothing going on in my quiet corner of the Pacific.

This is the life. I'm just lying here in my hammock in Townsville, sipping a G&T.

LatwPIAT posted:

6.5 Grendel, because Alexander Arms needs a military contract damnit!

6.8 SPC, because no u

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

FrangibleCover posted:

Quite possibly with some of the same Mosins in the less well equipped formations. I also liked the Lahti AT rifle being kept around for anti-helicopter duties. The FDF were pretty keen on shooting rifles at aircraft overall.

Nope, the training was done with assault rifles. And the Lahti AT rifles were discarded in the 80s.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Going back to the thing about powder, you also run into problems with effective barrel length depending on the cartridge.

Snubnose .357 Magnum revolvers are really popular for self-defense. Imagine my surprise when I was inspired by a GURPS weapon table to look up ballistics tests and I found that the ballistics on a .357 with a 2-inch barrel were about the same as a Glock 19 with top notch defensive ammo!

The .357 Magnum case is extremely long, which lets you pack in a lot of powder and get huge velocity out of a long barrel, but you need a long barrel to get everything you can out of it. When you’re down to 2 inches, most of the powder comes out in a huge fireball while the bullet doesn’t do much better than a compact 9mm pistol. And the heavy bullet and lack of a slide to absorb some recoil means you’re also battering your hand pretty badly.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.

Alchenar posted:

By 'Transvaal Campaign 1880-1881' she means a 3 month 'conflict' with ~1000 total involved on each side and in which most activity consisted of Boers sniping at British forts on the next hill.

It's not representative at all.
It also makes more sense if you lookup pictures of what the Transvaal landscape is like.

Most of it is flat grassland, with some gently rolling hills and a sparse tree cover. Occasionally you get big rock promontories with open space around them. There's really no where to hide if you're trying to move from one spot to another, any sizeable group is going to be spotted. If someone starts taking pot-shots from long range - which they will have the lines of sight to try - they don't have to be a good shot to do some damage, because they're probably going to have a good amount of time to plink away before you can find something to hide behind.

You really couldn't find a better place for long range iron sight duels, outside of maybe Kansas or Nebraska.

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Cessna posted:

There's a thing known as "Golden BB."

Despite what they tell you about armoring airplanes like the IL-2 or the A-10, a lucky shot in the wrong place has the potential to bring down an airplane. You certainly can't count on it - we're talking blind luck here - but throwing enough metal in the air increases the odds a bit.

No, it's not like a lone infantryman is going to reliably shoot down Stukas with his trusty Mosin-Nagant. But if you're being strafed anyway you might as well throw some lead at them.

Yep. Was just going to post about the Golden BB...

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Cessna posted:

There's a thing known as "Golden BB."

Despite what they tell you about armoring airplanes like the IL-2 or the A-10, a lucky shot in the wrong place has the potential to bring down an airplane. You certainly can't count on it - we're talking blind luck here - but throwing enough metal in the air increases the odds a bit.

No, it's not like a lone infantryman is going to reliably shoot down Stukas with his trusty Mosin-Nagant. But if you're being strafed anyway you might as well throw some lead at them.

I also imagine there are morale benefits as well. Feeling like you can do something rather than just taking the attack. I also imagine on the few times it worked, the unit debating furiously whose shot actually accomplished the kill.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

chitoryu12 posted:

And the heavy bullet and lack of a slide to absorb some recoil means you’re also battering your hand pretty badly.

.38 Special out of a aluminum-framed Airweight is less pleasant to shoot than .44 Magnum out of a Blackhawk.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Kangxi posted:

Do you count scuttled ships? Because the Oriskany was sunk in 2006 to make an artificial reef.

Aside from the ships sunk during nuclear testing like in Operation Crossroads, I think the last carrier sunk during a war would be the Amagi, sunk during the air raid on Kure Harbor in July 1945.

Anyone know what the deal is with these forward prong thingies on Oriskany? Clearly catapult related, and other carriers seems to have them as well, but they seem to appear and disappear depending on the refit cycles.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

PittTheElder posted:

Anyone know what the deal is with these forward prong thingies on Oriskany? Clearly catapult related, and other carriers seems to have them as well, but they seem to appear and disappear depending on the refit cycles.

Bridle catchers.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/7099/__trashed-9

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

They're what is called a "bridle catch."

Older planes used a sort of sling-like mechanism (the "bridle") to attach to the catapult. The extensions were there to keep them from flying over the end of the deck when the plane was launched.

Today's airplanes don't use the bridle system, so they don't need bridle catches anymore.

Edit: Phanatic beat me to it.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

Bridle catcher. The Navy used to use a bridle - basically a heavy duty lanyard - to hook aircraft to the catapult's shuttle, and when the aircraft launched they would get flung off and forward. Initially the Navy considered them a one time use item and they got flung into the ocean. Later on they decided that was wasteful. Those prongs were set up to catch the bridles so they could be reused. They're angled down so the bridle doesn't bounce up and hit the aircraft.

The Navy started replacing that system with integral launch bars on the aircraft, starting back in 1962. At this point I think there are no active NATO aircraft that use a bridle, so they got rid of the catchers entirely.

For the Oriskany, I know the ship was built without them and then they were added in a refit, but I don't know if they came off and got put back on in between. If they did, it would have been because the Navy was going back and forth on what aircraft were being assigned to it, and whether it was worth recycling bridles given what the ship was doing.

e: f,b

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Phanatic posted:

.38 Special out of a aluminum-framed Airweight is less pleasant to shoot than .44 Magnum out of a Blackhawk.

I shot an M1917 revolver last week. The recoil of .45 ACP out of that gun with thin wood grips is outright painful.

Ironically, the Mauser C96 was better to shoot than that or a Luger P08. It takes a few seconds to figure out how to hold it, but the recoil of 7.63mm is mild and it’s really accurate.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Hogge Wild posted:

But mind you, against helicopters which is actually a feasible target, or at least it can't just hover there idly. Shooting at a jet would be foolishness, you would be more likely to hit a nearby friendly that way when the bullets tumble down.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
IIRC the first two settings on the G3's diopter sights are both zeroed at 200 meters but the first one is a V notch intended for shooting at helicopters or in low-light conditions, and you're supposed to use the other 200 meter one for regular shooting.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Nenonen posted:

But mind you, against helicopters which is actually a feasible target, or at least it can't just hover there idly. Shooting at a jet would be foolishness, you would be more likely to hit a nearby friendly that way when the bullets tumble down.

at planes too, and yes it wasn't very smart imo

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

SeanBeansShako posted:

Knowing that mans terrible dress sense the uniform is either a shade of light blue or shining white.

Speaking of Goering and Nazi production - this has probably been posted before, but I still get a laugh out of it...

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Nenonen posted:

But mind you, against helicopters which is actually a feasible target, or at least it can't just hover there idly.

C.M. Kruger posted:

IIRC the first two settings on the G3's diopter sights are both zeroed at 200 meters but the first one is a V notch intended for shooting at helicopters or in low-light conditions, and you're supposed to use the other 200 meter one for regular shooting.

In the early Cold War era, if a helicopter can shoot at you, a G3 is probably sufficient to shoot back. The helicopter probably has a PKT on a wobbly mount, you have a G3 on a stable mount, and the helicopter is big and probably coming in for landing anyway.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

You really couldn't find a better place for long range iron sight duels, outside of maybe Kansas or Nebraska.
19c afghanistan :razz:

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 31, 2018

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

19c afghanistan :razz:
:hmmyes: Shame on me for forgetting that one

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Comrade Gorbash posted:

:hmmyes: Shame on me for forgetting that one
or tibet, which is why those guys have tripod-mounted black powder matchlocks for the longest loving time

i hate smokeless powder /hipster

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

or tibet, which is why those guys have tripod-mounted black powder matchlocks for the longest loving time

i hate smokeless powder /hipster

pics

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

1938, here are some musket dudes with their bipods flipped up

there's at least one other guy in this series of photos incorrectly identified as an "archer"
http://www.manchuarchery.org/photographs-tibetan-archers

here's one for sale. have a million quid?
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2016/supreme-number-one-l16214.html

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

HEY GUNS posted:

1938, here are some musket dudes with their bipods flipped up

there's at least one other guy in this series of photos incorrectly identified as an "archer"
http://www.manchuarchery.org/photographs-tibetan-archers

here's one for sale. have a million quid?
http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/2016/supreme-number-one-l16214.html

Thanks! Hah, unfortunately not.

So drat cool!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Hogge Wild posted:

So drat cool!
this dude is the raddest dude

edit: the thing is these guns are very long and the assumption is that you're going to have a lot of time to set yourself up, hence the bipod

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 31, 2018

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Please tell me that those bipods are sharp enough to work as bayonets, like they look.
And if yes, tell me about other armies doing similar things.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

tonberrytoby posted:

Please tell me that those bipods are sharp enough to work as bayonets, like they look.
And if yes, tell me about other armies doing similar things.
i don't think so. There's a little pivoting thing there, you can see it in the closeup of the dude getting drunk (i assume he's getting drunk. i would be), and that's a weak spot if you want to hit someone (the hinge will either fold down while you're hitting them or it'll break and then you don't have a hinge any more). I think if he's at a very long distance/up in the hills looking down on a nice valley and he has time he'll use his musket, if speed is of the essence he's got arrows, and at close range there's at least one sword in his belt, i think.

also like i keep saying, modernity means everyone is a dragoon

edit: if you're sniping in the mountains at someone in a valley, they won't smell your match either

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Oct 31, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the pokey part is probably to stabilize on rocks and stuff more so than to poke other people

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

HEY GUNS posted:

also like i keep saying, modernity means everyone is a dragoon

things that aren't dragoons

light leg infantry
tankers
artillery
literal shipboard marines

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

those are magoons

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

things that aren't dragoons

light leg infantry

Maybe . . . but chances are they don't walk literally everywhere.

quote:

tankers

this is legit - the tank is basically the horse, they fight from the tank, thus cav

quote:

artillery
also legit - artillery is artillery

quote:

Still dragoons - the boat is just a big horse

edit: possible other explanation, they're the dragoon contingent that stays behind to mind and guard the "horses"

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Space Dragoons is kinda catchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
All those things can get airlifted by the horses of the sky