Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

You seem weirdly invested in framing that discussion as a BOOOOOOOMB OH GOD THE THREAD IS BLOWING UP despite the conversation so far being well-reasoned and polite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My (23f) boyfriend (29m) starts and escalates feuds with our neighbors.

My boyfriend has a temper, and it extends to situations beyond just the neighbors but this is the best concrete example I can give for this problem. He gets very worked up and agitated by small offenses of others, which is one thing, but he is also not shy about expressing it which is embarrassing at times. Examples include calling out a lady who had a full cart of groceries in the “express lane,” road rage/tailgating/flipping drivers off, and other small things like this.

A neighbor at our old place didn’t pick up after his dogs, and my boyfriend began by trying to talk to him about it, but when that didn’t stop he picked up the poop and flung it on the guys porch and on the guys motorcycle. We have since moved but not after a lot of awkward tension with our neighbors. Now at our new place he has started another feud. A guy down the street walks his dog off leash, and he again tried to tell him to stop before things escalated, but I will mention that when he said he “talked” to them the tone is most likely aggressive/confrontational, and this most recent time with the off leash guy my boyfriend was a little drunk when they talked. I don’t think he’s being as amicable as he thinks he is. Anyways the guy was walking his dog again off leash and my boyfriend confronted him and yelled. He says he’s going to print a stack of leash laws for our city and throw them on his porch (notice a trend)

I am a non-confrontational person and understand not everyone is this way, and its not that these neighbors aren’t in the wrong, I think my boyfriend is correct their behavior is stupid. Its just his reaction and emotional response to me is over the top. He was in a furious mood all morning, snapping at me and being crabby because of the fight with the neighbor. I also feel really awkward walking around knowing theres a feud going on and dont know whether I’m supposed to act cold to this guy as well. I tel him I support him because I don't want to catch any of the heat and feel like its my job as his gf. But I don’t understand why he can’t just let this stuff go? Am I being unfair and his reactions are within normal and acceptable? I need some perspective.

TL;DR Boyfriend gets very angry when neighbors act in a way he doesn’t like and responds in way I think is over the top and gets very worked up and agitated over it. Don’t know whether I should continue to keep my mouth shut or try to curb this for the sake of peace in the neighborhood

Edit: forgot to say we’ve been together a bit over a year. Also in response to a couple of comments he has never turned this anger against me in this same aggressive way, and for some reason our arguments or every day things I do that annoy him don’t trigger his temper the same way strangers do, but I will be on high alert for signs of him turning on me as others suggest.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Nah, flinging poo poo that the owner didn't pick up is 100% legit and good praxis.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I've been sleeping with a TA [24M] from one of my classes. I [19F] want to end the FWB relationship but he doesn't.

So this year, I am in a pretty large intro CS class. Large intro classes are usually mostly taught by TAs (teaching assistants) from the grad school, which is how I met "Ian", who is a second-year grad student.

Ian is a very attractive guy and I was pretty much crushing on him after the first week of class. I know a lot of girls & guys who felt the same way so he basically became joke. We would all tease each other and say stuff like, "Oooo, I think he just made eye contact with you." It was all fun and games; I never thought that he would actually have a thing for me.

I'm really guilty since even though I was doing pretty well in the class, I often stopped by after class to ask him for help. He was super sweet and charming, which made me like him even more. We got pretty comfortable with each other and I would say after a month, we were friends.

Then there was one day in September where I was at a local cafe studying when I saw that Ian walked in. At first I was going to try and avoid him, but then he saw me and waved and we exchanged a few words. He took the table next to mine. But, we started chatting some more and he just ended up moving to sit across from me. We probably talked for like three hours and neither of us got any work done. It was around 8pm when he mentioned that he was really hungry and asked if I'd eaten anything yet, which I clearly had not. So he asked me if I wanted to go grab a bite with him at the place next door, which at the time, I thought was a wonderful idea (b/c I was infatuated). So we ate dinner and I could tell he was low-key flirting with me. I think I asked him if he knew all the girls were in love with him and he laughed and said, "are you in love with me too?" and I said "no, you're gross." Then he pouted and acted all sad so I said, "Okay maybe a little bit." And I think that was the beginning of our FWB relationship. He was going to drop me off at my building, but then asked if I wanted to go watch a movie with him. It was like 10pm, but me feeling bold, agreed. We kissed in the movie theater then somehow ended up back at his place where we had sex.

It wasn't weird the next morning, but it was definitely weird the next class. Somehow, I managed to look past it and we kept seeing each other. It's been about a month now and we probably sleep together 2-3 times a week. I haven't told anyone except for my best friend who isn't in the class. She was super against it, but me being all infatuated at the time, reassured her that it was all okay. But it's been a month now and me and her had another long talk about it and I totally feel the severity of it all. She mentioned that it could get me and him into serious trouble, which I agree with but hadn't thought that much about before. Also, I was hit with the realization that I was catching feelings. I spend the weekend mulling over it and decided that I was going to call it quits. So I went over to his place, told him how I'd felt and all of my worries and insecurities about the whole thing. He asked me if the only reason was that I was afraid I would get in trouble and I said pretty much. And then he spend like five minutes assuring me that nothing would happen and that no one would find out and even if they did, he can't get into any trouble because he's a teaching assistant and can just switch to teaching another class. Idk where he's pulling his facts from, but I seriously doubt him. Then he started telling me how much he liked spending time with me and really wants to "see where we go." Since I still have some raging feelings for him, him telling me how he felt made me all weak and I couldn't stand my ground. Then he started kissing me and I gave up on pushing.

The thing is, I don't want to end the relationship, but I think I have to. I'm super conflicted as of right now. Would it work out if we kept seeing each other? If not, how can I be more curt with him next time?

TL;DR: The TA for one of my intro classes and I really clicked. We started sleeping with each other, but I want to end it after thinking about all the repercussions (and I am also catching feelings). He does not and assures that everything will be fine. I am conflicted.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tell your boyfriend that he needs to take anger management classes. If that makes him mad then leave him

You're 23 you don't have to agonize over this, go get another boyfriend who doesn't get overly upset at tiny slights

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Mordor She Wrote posted:

We can't help that it's funny that he's English

Aye cannae belee ye think a name like Davie Gnome belongs to a fookin englishman

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

your voting history is public knowledge and everyone hates the choices you make.

Hold on, what?? You don't have secret ballots? That is extremely open to abuse, how the hell that survived to year 2018?

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
He means party registration. It varies by state but to vote in some primaries you have to have identified your party registration to the state. The actual votes on your ballot are secret.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I've been sleeping with a TA [24M] from one of my classes. I [19F] want to end the FWB relationship but he doesn't.

So this year, I am in a pretty large intro CS class. Large intro classes are usually mostly taught by TAs (teaching assistants) from the grad school, which is how I met "Ian", who is a second-year grad student.

Ian is a very attractive guy and I was pretty much crushing on him after the first week of class. I know a lot of girls & guys who felt the same way so he basically became joke. We would all tease each other and say stuff like, "Oooo, I think he just made eye contact with you." It was all fun and games; I never thought that he would actually have a thing for me.

I'm really guilty since even though I was doing pretty well in the class, I often stopped by after class to ask him for help. He was super sweet and charming, which made me like him even more. We got pretty comfortable with each other and I would say after a month, we were friends.

Then there was one day in September where I was at a local cafe studying when I saw that Ian walked in. At first I was going to try and avoid him, but then he saw me and waved and we exchanged a few words. He took the table next to mine. But, we started chatting some more and he just ended up moving to sit across from me. We probably talked for like three hours and neither of us got any work done. It was around 8pm when he mentioned that he was really hungry and asked if I'd eaten anything yet, which I clearly had not. So he asked me if I wanted to go grab a bite with him at the place next door, which at the time, I thought was a wonderful idea (b/c I was infatuated). So we ate dinner and I could tell he was low-key flirting with me. I think I asked him if he knew all the girls were in love with him and he laughed and said, "are you in love with me too?" and I said "no, you're gross." Then he pouted and acted all sad so I said, "Okay maybe a little bit." And I think that was the beginning of our FWB relationship. He was going to drop me off at my building, but then asked if I wanted to go watch a movie with him. It was like 10pm, but me feeling bold, agreed. We kissed in the movie theater then somehow ended up back at his place where we had sex.

It wasn't weird the next morning, but it was definitely weird the next class. Somehow, I managed to look past it and we kept seeing each other. It's been about a month now and we probably sleep together 2-3 times a week. I haven't told anyone except for my best friend who isn't in the class. She was super against it, but me being all infatuated at the time, reassured her that it was all okay. But it's been a month now and me and her had another long talk about it and I totally feel the severity of it all. She mentioned that it could get me and him into serious trouble, which I agree with but hadn't thought that much about before. Also, I was hit with the realization that I was catching feelings. I spend the weekend mulling over it and decided that I was going to call it quits. So I went over to his place, told him how I'd felt and all of my worries and insecurities about the whole thing. He asked me if the only reason was that I was afraid I would get in trouble and I said pretty much. And then he spend like five minutes assuring me that nothing would happen and that no one would find out and even if they did, he can't get into any trouble because he's a teaching assistant and can just switch to teaching another class. Idk where he's pulling his facts from, but I seriously doubt him. Then he started telling me how much he liked spending time with me and really wants to "see where we go." Since I still have some raging feelings for him, him telling me how he felt made me all weak and I couldn't stand my ground. Then he started kissing me and I gave up on pushing.

The thing is, I don't want to end the relationship, but I think I have to. I'm super conflicted as of right now. Would it work out if we kept seeing each other? If not, how can I be more curt with him next time?

TL;DR: The TA for one of my intro classes and I really clicked. We started sleeping with each other, but I want to end it after thinking about all the repercussions (and I am also catching feelings). He does not and assures that everything will be fine. I am conflicted.

When I was a TA, they told us not to mess around with our students. That sounded like common sense. OTOH I was much older than the other TAs, married, and as far as I was concerned my class was full of little kids.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Smirking_Serpent posted:

This dude is a sleaze and it's not surprising at all to hear that this is a CS class

TAs are coached over and over to not sleep with students, because A) it's a tremendously bad idea for so many reasons and yes you can both face serious consequences and B) grad students are emotionally-stunted children and sometimes college students can be very sexually aggressive toward authority figures, and it would be so easy to just give in despite it being so tremendously stupid

He is straight up lying to her about the consequences and hoping that she doesn't tell anyone so that he can keep getting some. Probably he's got a lovely personality and isn't able to pick up girls his own age, despite the OP's claim that he's physically attractive.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

El_Elegante posted:

He means party registration. It varies by state but to vote in some primaries you have to have identified your party registration to the state. The actual votes on your ballot are secret.

Oh that makes more sense, though I think it's still saner for party registration info to be internal to parties and not be public at all, to prevent things like this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My only real take away from this is that I love the term "catching feelings". Like lol having feelings for someone is just so wrong.

I dunno but if they like each other I kinda don't see the issue :shrug:

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My boyfriend has a temper, and it extends to situations beyond just the neighbors but this is the best concrete example I can give for this problem. He gets very worked up and agitated by small offenses of others, which is one thing, but he is also not shy about expressing it which is embarrassing at times. Examples include calling out a lady who had a full cart of groceries in the “express lane,” road rage/tailgating/flipping drivers off, and other small things like this.

A neighbor at our old place didn’t pick up after his dogs, and my boyfriend began by trying to talk to him about it, but when that didn’t stop he picked up the poop and flung it on the guys porch and on the guys motorcycle. We have since moved but not after a lot of awkward tension with our neighbors. Now at our new place he has started another feud. A guy down the street walks his dog off leash, and he again tried to tell him to stop before things escalated, but I will mention that when he said he “talked” to them the tone is most likely aggressive/confrontational, and this most recent time with the off leash guy my boyfriend was a little drunk when they talked. I don’t think he’s being as amicable as he thinks he is. Anyways the guy was walking his dog again off leash and my boyfriend confronted him and yelled. He says he’s going to print a stack of leash laws for our city and throw them on his porch (notice a trend)

I am a non-confrontational person and understand not everyone is this way, and its not that these neighbors aren’t in the wrong, I think my boyfriend is correct their behavior is stupid. Its just his reaction and emotional response to me is over the top. He was in a furious mood all morning, snapping at me and being crabby because of the fight with the neighbor. I also feel really awkward walking around knowing theres a feud going on and dont know whether I’m supposed to act cold to this guy as well. I tel him I support him because I don't want to catch any of the heat and feel like its my job as his gf. But I don’t understand why he can’t just let this stuff go? Am I being unfair and his reactions are within normal and acceptable? I need some perspective.

TL;DR Boyfriend gets very angry when neighbors act in a way he doesn’t like and responds in way I think is over the top and gets very worked up and agitated over it. Don’t know whether I should continue to keep my mouth shut or try to curb this for the sake of peace in the neighborhood

Edit: forgot to say we’ve been together a bit over a year. Also in response to a couple of comments he has never turned this anger against me in this same aggressive way, and for some reason our arguments or every day things I do that annoy him don’t trigger his temper the same way strangers do, but I will be on high alert for signs of him turning on me as others suggest.

idk angry dudes are legit terrible but the two examples this lady gave makes me wish he was my neighbor

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

fspades posted:

Hold on, what?? You don't have secret ballots? That is extremely open to abuse, how the hell that survived to year 2018?

There's a book that has to be placed outside the Polling Place where the poll workers mark off who has & hasn't voted. That list shows your name, address, and party affiliation. As you can probably imagine, people watch these lists and start calling to see if you need a ride to the polls, etc. This is legal, at least in California.

But they can't ask for ID because that's 'racist'.

I still call BS because I can't believe there's an entire building in NYC that's Republican.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

sounds like your neighbors are trash fuckers and your bf has the terrifying personality trait of "a loving spine"

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

fspades posted:

Oh that makes more sense, though I think it's still saner for party registration info to be internal to parties and not be public at all, to prevent things like this.

It's right there on the voter card in states like Maryland, but uh any information the Democratic party knows anyone who wants to is gonna know within minutes.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 31, 2018

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

My Linux Rig posted:

idk angry dudes are legit terrible but the two examples this lady gave makes me wish he was my neighbor

Yeah, he is an rear end in a top hat but he seems to use his powers for good instead of evil.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

It's right there on the voter card in states like Maryland, but uh any information the Democratic party knows anyone who wants to is gonna know within minutes.

:discourse:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

My only real take away from this is that I love the term "catching feelings". Like lol having feelings for someone is just so wrong.

I dunno but if they like each other I kinda don't see the issue :shrug:

The issue is that he is an authority figure to her, creating a huge imbalance of power in that relationship. He's already using that power to make her continue seeing him despite her stated reluctance.

As soon as he's no longer responsible for her grades then they can go nuts

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Xenocides posted:

Yeah, he is an rear end in a top hat but he seems to use his powers for good instead of evil.

There's no such thing as good road rage

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

there's been a whole thing on Twitter in the last couple weeks of definitely real and sincere accounts telling Texas Democrats to post pictures of themselves with their filled ballots "to stop the ballot machines from miscounting your vote" and I can only assume there's a pogrom acomin

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

fspades posted:

I've been getting increasingly aggressive physical spam from this group that says voting records reveal I haven't voted since 2010 and blah blah blah, I'm letting my party down and by extension America.

I have definitely voted since 2010 and to be honest I'm not sure I did vote in 2010.

E: I also declared Democrat to vote for Bernie in my states' primary so now I get a lot of solicitations from the DNC for money to save the world and I'm like motherfuckers y'all made your bed now lie in it.

tactlessbastard fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 31, 2018

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

there's been a whole thing on Twitter in the last couple weeks of definitely real and sincere accounts telling Texas Democrats to post pictures of themselves with their filled ballots "to stop the ballot machines from miscounting your vote" and I can only assume there's a pogrom acomin

Your local Democrats want to know who voted and who didn't.

Edit Whoops, I missed the Twitter part. Carry on, citizen.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

fspades posted:

Registration in some places is. Who you voted for isn’t.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
He's a CS grad student so the attractiveness scale is curbed a bit. He likely showers and has a shirt with a collar on it.

He's a gross dude though and exactly the reason you NEVER gently caress THE STUDENTS.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Khazar-khum posted:

I still call BS because I can't believe there's an entire building in NYC that's Republican.

Trump Tower?

(you're probably still right)

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Khazar-khum posted:

There's a book that has to be placed outside the Polling Place where the poll workers mark off who has & hasn't voted. That list shows your name, address, and party affiliation. As you can probably imagine, people watch these lists and start calling to see if you need a ride to the polls, etc. This is legal, at least in California.

But they can't ask for ID because that's 'racist'.

More specifically, they can't ask for non-required forms of ID after registering, because it might turn away legitimate voters. Republican superpacs have already been caught planting "Remember to present your drivers license at the polling place!" billboards in heavily-minority neighborhoods. It's a seemingly innocuous request, except in states when drivers licenses aren't required to vote and the signs only serve to mislead legitimate voters into thinking that they can't vote without one. This is by design.

Voter ID laws in particular are considered "racist" because they demand a specific type of government-sanctioned photo ID that poor people/minorities are least likely to possess, despite them already being registered voters and having proven themselves by presenting a birth certificate and other documents at the time of registration. The purpose is to stop 'voter fraud', but voter fraud is already super-rare and voter ID laws can only stop one specific form of voter fraud. Specifically, in-person voter fraud. Virtually nobody commits voter fraud by physically going to a polling place, claiming to be someone else on the voter roll, praying that the person didn't already vote, cast one vote, and then getting back in line to do it again.

Anyway, California poll workers can request (non-photo) IDs from first-time voters

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ballot selfies taken during in person voting in Texas are illegal, although no criminal penalty is written into the law. They can apparently get you kicked out of the polling station which I would guess is why someone is encouraging Democrats to do it.

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

je1 healthcare posted:

More specifically, they can't ask for non-required forms of ID after registering, because it might turn away legitimate voters. Republican superpacs have already been caught planting "Remember to present your drivers license at the polling place!" billboards in heavily-minority neighborhoods. It's a seemingly innocuous request, except in states when drivers licenses aren't required to vote and the signs only serve to mislead legitimate voters into thinking that they can't vote without one. This is by design.

Voter ID laws in particular are considered "racist" because they demand a specific type of government-sanctioned photo ID that poor people/minorities are least likely to possess, despite them already being registered voters and having proven themselves by presenting a birth certificate and other documents at the time of registration. The purpose is to stop 'voter fraud', but voter fraud is already super-rare and voter ID laws can only stop one specific form of voter fraud. Specifically, in-person voter fraud. Virtually nobody commits voter fraud by physically going to a polling place, claiming to be someone else on the voter roll, praying that the person didn't already vote, cast one vote, and then getting back in line to do it again.

Anyway, California poll workers can request (non-photo) IDs from first-time voters

The laws must have changed, because when I worked the polls we could never, ever, ask for ID. Period.

People can and do vote in the wrong precinct. When that happens they're given a provisional ballot. Those are counted along with the mailed ballots. There was one Persian family in our precinct that had to vote like that. The old man was very nice; he just liked being able to vote without fear.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

therobit posted:

Ballot selfies taken during in person voting in Texas are illegal, although no criminal penalty is written into the law. They can apparently get you kicked out of the polling station which I would guess is why someone is encouraging Democrats to do it.

Yeah it’s like, if they made the votes public people would know it was more like 90/10 vs 50/50 on most poo poo. Plus ppl don’t want other ppl to know they voted for hitler or whatev.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
We need closed ballot so our husbands don't beat us when we vote for children to have food

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
Voting laws and what information from the registration is considered public vs private vary from state to state. Most of you seem to be talking about it like it is the same throughout the US.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pick posted:

We need closed ballot so our husbands don't beat us when we vote for children to have food

Pick don't lie, you would never vote for children to have food

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

therobit posted:

People come in wearing Vote for X shirts, hats, etc. That's called 'electioneering' and is illegal. They can't do that within 100 feet of the polling place. They had to change shirts, etc to vote.

You don't need to encourage people to be stupid at the polls. I saw everything from people so drunk they threw up to people wanting to change their kid's diaper in the booth.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Pick posted:

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

fspades posted:

our secrets are branded on our forehead by a Grace Jones looking woman wearing nothing but a red robe and gold star-shaped pasties

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

2nd Battalion

Pick posted:

Or you could, you know, not buy beer and smokes and get the kids food instead.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pick posted:

Hey well you know sometimes murderers from Interpol see one word on the internet and assume it’s about the intellectual property they stole from the person they murdered and take a quick flight to come beat up your mother and act like a grotesque racist charicature of your deceased friends/label affiliates.

I don’t know dude you know some rear end in a top hat called me autistic when I was 6 years old and didn’t know the difference between Sweden and Switzerland when he was trying to suss out if I could testify against the purveyors of S.

ClamdestineBoyster fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 31, 2018

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Ziv Zulander posted:

Cats are disloyal assholes, that's part of the appeal

What?! Naw. Once you have their loyalty, you have it for life as long as you keep paying attention. Cats think I'm awesome though. This person just needs to become the kind of person cats think are awesome, too, so that she can experience the joy of cats starting fights over who gets to sit by/on her.

8 other cats is a lot of cat politicking for her friend. She probably got busy and stopped paying as much attention to him and he is exhausted from having to politic by himself.

Also, she dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Khazar-khum posted:

The laws must have changed, because when I worked the polls we could never, ever, ask for ID. Period.

People can and do vote in the wrong precinct. When that happens they're given a provisional ballot. Those are counted along with the mailed ballots. There was one Persian family in our precinct that had to vote like that. The old man was very nice; he just liked being able to vote without fear.

Voting laws vary from state to state.

To address why asking for ID is considered racist, between 2008 and 2013, the GOP in North Carolina asked for voter breakdowns by race and type of vote (early vs election day), whether there is a category for Hispanic voters, and "a breakdown, by race, of those registered voters that do not have a driver's license number", then proceeded to pass a law that cut early voting by a week, eliminated out-of-precinct voting, and required voters to show specific types of ID.

Guess what type of voter the law affected disproportionately.