Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Agreed, I think the discussion of the gun law has run its course here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
The Oregonian ran a profile piece on Joey Gibson, Washington's own nazi activist. Twitter is very upset about it.
https://twitter.com/Oregonian/status/1056605630717444096

They don't seem to recall the Oregonian posted a public poll for 2017 Oregon Person Of The Year and put his name on it?

anthonypants posted:

Apparently the Oregonian has a poll for 2017 person of the year, and one of the people they picked is the leader of a local nazi group and wouldn't you know it he's winning https://twitter.com/jyu_pdx/status/940707662705991680

Other entries in this list include the two men murdered by a different nazi earlier this year, and the third man who was injured in that attack.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Well I think this ad was redundant on this site, but which one of you guys is responsible for this banner ad.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Jack2142 posted:

Well I think this ad was redundant on this site, but which one of you guys is responsible for this banner ad.
Google was.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

anthonypants posted:

The Oregonian ran a profile piece on Joey Gibson, Washington's own nazi activist. Twitter is very upset about it.

They don't seem to recall the Oregonian posted a public poll for 2017 Oregon Person Of The Year and put his name on it?

I went ahead and read the article. It is full-on hagiography. Like, literal hagiography; she's very clearly ready to canonize him, just because this one time he totally wasn't racist, and didn't try to beat anyone up.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

anthonypants posted:

Imo people can be upset about both things.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Finally sat down and worked on my ballot, and we got a week until ballots are due, so that means it's time for...

⚠️:siren:⚠️ OFFICIAL ANTHONYPANTS-APPROVED VOTES ⚠️:siren:⚠️

US Congressional District 3: US Representative, District 3: Earl Blumenauer (Democrat)
- Yeah, he's a Democrat, but he could be doing worse. I don't know anything about his opponents but he's popular and he'll win by a landslide.

Governor: Chris Henry (Progressive)
- Pat Starnes (Independent party) dropped out earlier today and endorsed Kate Brown, so you're stuck with Kate Brown (lol), Knute Buehler, the guys from the Constitution and Libertarian parties (lmao), and this guy. I liked his platform until I got to "Create An Oregon Department Of Peace and Build A Peaceagon On The 45th Paralell Right Off The I-5 In Salem In The Shape Of A Peace Sign To Rival The Pentagon."

...and then I LOVED his platform :smithicide:

House District 42: State Representative: Rob Nosse (Democrat, Working Families, Independent)
- His sole opponent is in the Libertarian party. No-brainer.

City of Portland, Commissioner, Position 3: Jo Ann A Hardesty
- Jo Ann Hardesty has good ideas about police accountability, and her opponent does not. Also she's not afraid to get mad. Can you imagine how scandalized the city of Portland is going to be with an angry black lady in the city council?

Circuit Court District 04: Judge of the Circuit Court, 4th District, Position 30: Bob Callahan
- I usually skip the judges because I think voting for judges is abhorrent, but there's been these articles about his opponent, and plus I like this guy's endorsements better than his opponent's.

Multnomah County, Auditor: Jennifer McGuirk
- She's local, she already works in the County Auditor's office, she got a good list of endorsements, and her name reminds me of Coach McGuirk. Her opponent worked for PricewaterhouseCoopers.

everyone else is running unopposed or a write-in and I do not care to vote in those elections. if you're not in portland I got nothin to say to you. because I don't follow the politics in your area. please vote anyway. thank you and G-d bless.

State measures:
Measure 102: No
- This is the one that allows Portland to use housing bonds they receive from the federal government through the Low Income Housing Tax Credit to build "affordable housing units", and giving those properties directly to developers. Voting No preserves the language in the constitution that prevents the city (or other counties/municipalities) from using that bond revenue unless it's fully owned by a government entity. It's going to pass, because every liberal shithead in this state believes in the free market, and many of you probably got punked into voting for it.

Oregon Measure 103, Ban Tax on Groceries Initiative (2018): No
- You've probably heard about this one. We don't have a groceries tax in Oregon, there isn't a groceries tax in Washington, and a side-effect of this measure would freeze Oregon's corporate minimum tax. Your future governor, Knute Buehler, is in support of this measure.

Oregon Measure 104, Definition of Raising Revenue for Three-Fifths Vote Requirement Initiative (2018): No
- Requires a three-fifths majority vote in the legislature to pass laws increasing taxes. I think you all know how well that worked out for California. Because you all are Californian immigrants.

Oregon Measure 105, Repeal Sanctuary State Law Initiative (2018): No
Oregon Measure 106, Ban Public Funds for Abortions Initiative (2018): No
- I really hope don't need to spell these out for you.

Portland measures:
Portland, Oregon, Measure 26-200, Fair Elections and Clean Governance Charter Amendment (November 2018): Yes
- Limits the max amount of campaign contributions, increases the disclosures politicians have to make, and allows payroll deductions for campaign contributions. Good all around. Probably won't pass.

Portland, Oregon, Measure 26-201, Clean Energy Community Benefits Initiative (November 2018): Yes
- Giant retailers (tbh they should just say "Nike" and "Intel") get to pay a surcharge on gross revenue earned in Portland to pay for "clean renewable energy projects" and "job training". Probably won't pass.

Metro measures:
Metro Affordable Housing Bonds, Oregon, Measure 26-199 (November 2018): Yes
- Generates bond revenue from property taxes to fund affordable housing in Washington, Clackamas, and Multnomah counties. Probably won't pass.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

That Progressive guy is pretty rad and I agree with everything he says, which is why I was not happy about the vote I cast for Kate Brown. Oh well, at least now my voice matters or something

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
There's something interesting I've noticed since moving to Washington. Typically, when I go into a restaurant that has a spice star system, I'll order a five but it will come back more of a two compared to what I'm used to in the South. Are people up here not fond of spicy food? Is it okay for me to ask beyond a five when I order?

inkblot
Feb 22, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, you'll usually have to really go out of your way to get actually spicy stuff. It was a big pain when I was younger, but now that my digestive tract has completely rebelled against me I appreciate how mild everything is.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

im on the net me boys posted:

There's something interesting I've noticed since moving to Washington. Typically, when I go into a restaurant that has a spice star system, I'll order a five but it will come back more of a two compared to what I'm used to in the South. Are people up here not fond of spicy food? Is it okay for me to ask beyond a five when I order?

It's all the scandihoovians. BBQ up here sucks rear end too. Gotta be a regular in the Asian places to get real spicy stuff, that or order something that lets them know you know.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhjhhhhhhjhhhhhhhhhjjjhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh cannabis
This also has got me thinking, "what kind of food is typically northwestern?" I thought of all the places I go to eat around here and I struggle to think of what Pacific Northwestern food is. My partner and I both come from pretty similar culinary backgrounds, so I don't think either of us know where to start. Could someone please give me some pointers? Maybe some recipes to try?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
One time a friend of my dad's who basically only eats spicy vegetarian asian food went to a Thai place on Hawthorne in Portland that he had been frequenting for a couple years. He was on foot since he didn't drive and coming from grocery shopping. He had a paper bag full of dried chilies with him and I guess the waiter saw it and admonished the cook, thinking he had brought them to amend his food with. The cook made sure his dish was painfully, overwhelmingly spicy that day, and also made sure to come out and ask him if it was enough spice for him.

So I recommend just bringing a bunch of dried chilies with you and see where that takes you.

im on the net me boys
Feb 19, 2017

therobit posted:

One time a friend of my dad's who basically only eats spicy vegetarian asian food went to a Thai place on Hawthorne in Portland that he had been frequenting for a couple years. He was on foot since he didn't drive and coming from grocery shopping. He had a paper bag full of dried chilies with him and I guess the waiter saw it and admonished the cook, thinking he had brought them to amend his food with. The cook made sure his dish was painfully, overwhelmingly spicy that day, and also made sure to come out and ask him if it was enough spice for him.

So I recommend just bringing a bunch of dried chilies with you and see where that takes you.

I've fantasized about bringing dried chilies with me to a restaurant, but I've never done it though because it'd be really weird. It's probably weird to fantasize about such a thing to begin with...

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

The Stranger had an article that talked about this a few years ago; apparently, people order spicy stuff, then send it back a lot.

There are definitely some places that don't gently caress around, but yeah, in general a Seattle 5 tastes like it's been spiced with saltwater. Thai Tom's in the U-District is not one of those places.

This also has got me thinking, "what kind of food is typically northwestern?" I thought of all the places I go to eat around here and I struggle to think of what Pacific Northwestern food is. My partner and I both come from pretty similar culinary backgrounds, so I don't think either of us know where to start. Could someone please give me some pointers? Maybe some recipes to try?

Asian (Thai, Chinese, Japanese, etc.) and seafood are the "typically Northwestern" foods I think of.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Good Korean/Thai places don't gently caress around with spice levels. One of the reasons I like Lynnwood is there are a trillion Asian restaurants and it is pretty easy to find the good places that don't treat you as the pathetic white guy that thinks mayo is spicy.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
I hear our teriyaki is kinda unique but it's getting harder to find I guess and isn't cheap anymore.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/aurora_f/status/1057663330871963649

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Salmon

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Clearly, the solution is to start giving the fare enforcement guys guns.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Well this certainly makes capitalism seem efficient.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Ferns, mushrooms, venison. I like those.

Edit: fiddlehead ferns are good. They taste like a cross between an artichoke heart and asparagus. You can blanch them in boiling water for about 1 minute, and then roast them a little. They take attention so you dont overcook them but when done right they're fun and delicious.

Stinging nettles are Nw, but I've never really found them great except the thrill of eating something that can cause pain. Again, blanch briefly and use like spinach.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 31, 2018

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I've only seen fair enforcement on the light rail once, and of course he went after the minorities.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

In school we had native culture classes where we had to "make acorns". Acorns are impossibly bitter and need to have the nut boiled a bunch to leech out the bitterness. It never worked.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Yeah. "Salmon with stuff" covers it. Crab, clams, and other seafood for runners up.

Which sucks growing up here, and never developing a taste for seafood.

Also fruit-themed dishes for the orchard-y parts of the area.

Do IPA's count?

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

Oregon Measure 104, Definition of Raising Revenue for Three-Fifths Vote Requirement Initiative (2018): No
- Requires a three-fifths majority vote in the legislature to pass laws increasing taxes. I think you all know how well that worked out for California. Because you all are Californian immigrants.

Just one correction on this. We actually already have a three-fifths majority requirement for raising taxes. This strengthens the three-fifths majority requirement to make it so you need the super-majority to repeal tax exemptions or the like.

Edit:
Can we just get to a place where we accept that like schools and fire departments and bridges, maybe public transit systems don't have to be justified by running a profit based on user fees?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

seiferguy posted:

I've only seen fair enforcement on the light rail once, and of course he went after the minorities.

I've seen them come on the green line and ask everyone twice before, but I am sure they still disproportionately stop minorities.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Failson posted:

Yeah. "Salmon with stuff" covers it. Crab, clams, and other seafood for runners up.

Which sucks growing up here, and never developing a taste for seafood.

Also fruit-themed dishes for the orchard-y parts of the area.

Do IPA's count?

Yeah I don't like seafood either, salmon is ok though.

Oscar Wild posted:

In school we had native culture classes where we had to "make acorns". Acorns are impossibly bitter and need to have the nut boiled a bunch to leech out the bitterness. It never worked.

I've wondered if acorns were eatable occasionally but not enough to look it up, so thanks for the anecdote.

therobit posted:

I've seen them come on the green line and ask everyone twice before, but I am sure they still disproportionately stop minorities.

Several times I (and everyone else coming off the MAX) have been held up at the Clackamas Town Center end of the green line by actual gun having cops to check fares.

Shifty Nipples fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Oct 31, 2018

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

94 out of 3900 citations paid?! What the loving gently caress? What an insane waste of money to harass poor people with.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
I looked it up and to process acorns takes multiple rounds of boiling, one to remove the shell and another to remove the bittering agent, which are tannins, ie the same things that make wine bitter. I remember them being essentially inedible, but maybe if you boil them enough they become edible.

Natives would use the nuts to make flour and rather than boiling the nuts, they would grind them and then spend several hours rinsing the flour with water to remove the bitterness. They were a hardy and resourceful people.

Oscar Wild fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Oct 31, 2018

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Oscar Wild posted:

I looked it up and to process acorns takes multiple rounds of boiling, one to remove the shell and another to remove the bittering agent, which are tannins, ie the same things that make wine bitter. I remember them being essentially inedible, but maybe if you boil them enough they become edible.

Natives would use the nuts to make flour and rather than boiling the nuts, they would grind them and then spend several hours rinsing the flour with water to remove the bitterness. They were a hardy and resourceful people.

I probably learned that and obviously forgot it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

George posted:

I hear our teriyaki is kinda unique but it's getting harder to find I guess and isn't cheap anymore.

This is really the correct answer, maybe Pho as a secondary. All the big food folks/competition shows always miss this and it's kind of annoying.

It's still really easy to find outside of Seattle.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Solkanar512 posted:

This is really the correct answer, maybe Pho as a secondary. All the big food folks/competition shows always miss this and it's kind of annoying.

It's still really easy to find outside of Seattle.

Except on Sunday.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

anthonypants posted:

Governor: Chris Henry (Progressive)
- Pat Starnes (Independent party) dropped out earlier today and endorsed Kate Brown, so you're stuck with Kate Brown (lol), Knute Buehler, the guys from the Constitution and Libertarian parties (lmao), and this guy. I liked his platform until I got to "Create An Oregon Department Of Peace and Build A Peaceagon On The 45th Paralell Right Off The I-5 In Salem In The Shape Of A Peace Sign To Rival The Pentagon."

...and then I LOVED his platform :smithicide:

what the gently caress Starnes if you're going to drop out you should do it before people have had a chance to turn ballots in

Also reading through Chris Henry's page there I'm having a little trouble parsing this:

quote:

Create A Maximum Wage With A 10:1 Wage Ratio. A $15/hr Maximum Wage (No Less) and Double The Current minimum Wage To A $20.20/hr Minimum Wage by 2020 In Large Prevailing Wage Industries.

...he means that $15/hr would be the basis for a 10:1 ratio such that $150/hr would be the maximum wage, right?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also lol even Chris Henry is in favor of 102

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Also reading through Chris Henry's page there I'm having a little trouble parsing this:

...he means that $15/hr would be the basis for a 10:1 ratio such that $150/hr would be the maximum wage, right?
There are many mistakes on that page (e.g. "Paralell") but yes, that's my reading of it as well.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also lol even Chris Henry is in favor of 102

102 is a tricky one. I voted for it but I can understand the opposition, because it feels ripe for abuse. It really comes down to whether you accept the reality that as a nation we've gone all in on the fact that everything needs to be handled by people other than the government. Should it be that way? No. Is it? Yeah. Can you stomach that and vote yes based on the fact that it seems like it will have a positive effect in the short term?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

102 is a tricky one. I voted for it but I can understand the opposition, because it feels ripe for abuse. It really comes down to whether you accept the reality that as a nation we've gone all in on the fact that everything needs to be handled by people other than the government. Should it be that way? No. Is it? Yeah. Can you stomach that and vote yes based on the fact that it seems like it will have a positive effect in the short term?
The "abuse" you're talking about is the city of Portland handing real estate developers free money to build properties and making the developers pinky promise to save some space for affordable units, except this time we'll be using federal money to do it.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

anthonypants posted:

The "abuse" you're talking about is the city of Portland handing real estate developers free money to build properties and making the developers pinky promise to save some space for affordable units, except this time we'll be using federal money to do it.

Yeah. And hopefully public pressure can prevent that. This would also allow non-profits with stated missions that are more than pinky promises to get involved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

xrunner posted:

Yeah. And hopefully public pressure can prevent that. This would also allow non-profits with stated missions that are more than pinky promises to get involved.
And it's certainly been working out so far. Maybe with this money we can get more non-profits to buy up properties and convince the poor to shovel what little money they have into their REITs.