Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

i thought most mormon sects moved beyond that old timey celibate gear??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Bulgakov posted:

i thought most mormon sects moved beyond that old timey celibate gear??

if they have that's the first i've heard of it. pretty sure it's an integral part of the religion

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

...! posted:

if they have that's the first i've heard of it. pretty sure it's an integral part of the religion

curious about the correlation between anti sex underwear and lock picking superstars per state :thunk:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/happy-birthday-bitcoin-letter-ross-ulbricht/

Happy Birthday, Bitcoin! A Letter From Ross Ulbricht

Happy Birthday, Bitcoin!

Bitcoin is turning ten, and like many of us, I feel like a proud parent, having watched it grow into its potential over the years. I guess I’m the estranged father in prison though, who can’t be there to help raise his kid.

Bitcoin: Mommy, when’s Daddy coming home?

Mommy: He’ll come home as soon as he can, sweetie.

Bitcoin: Why did he leave us, Mommy?

Mommy: I’ll explain when you’re older. Now run along and play blockchain with the other cryptos.

Bitcoin as a 10-year-old kid is not a bad analogy. The technology is still very young, still growing. It’s been shooting up like a weed and been through some growing pains, but it’s barely a pre-teen and has the rocky road of adolescence still ahead. It’s something we all have to go through to mature into adults, to discover who we are, and Bitcoin is no different.

We will see in the years ahead what Bitcoin is capable of, how it will be used, and the impact it will have on our world. I have high hopes that our gifted child will exceed everyone’s expectations and go on to greatness, but it is still a child that must be nurtured and protected.

Bitcoin needs us to continue guiding it with the values it was founded on, that gave it its potential. We must keep our focus on decentralization, privacy and empowering individuals. We are Bitcoin’s advocates and representatives. How far it goes and what it becomes in the crucial years ahead will depend on us. It is a technology with the power to make abstractions like peace and equality into reality. But it’s up to us to embody such ideals and be role models for the ever-growing Bitcoin community and for Bitcoin itself.

I’m so excited for what’s to come in the next ten years, for Bitcoin and all of its crypto cousins. I just hope I can come home and make up for these lost years and show everyone where my heart truly is.

--
This is a guest post by Ross Ulbricht. It was shared, with permission, with Bitcoin Magazine by Ross's mother, Lyn Ulbricht. To learn more about Ross, sign his petition for clemency, and support the campaign to free him, please visit freeross.org. Follow @free_ross, @RealRossU and the #freeross hashtag on Twitter. Visit Free Ross on Facebook and freerossulbricht on Instagram.
--
Guest Contributor

Ross Ulbricht is a Bitcoin advocate who is serving a double life sentence without parole, for all non-violent charges, for his role in the Silk Road website. He is seeking a commutation of that sentence from President Trump. Visit freeross.org.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol saw image and didn't read

lmao gently caress off ross

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Mommy: He hired hit jobs on people, so that they wouldn't interfere with his illegal drug market that got busted by the laziest of sec fucks!

Bitcoin:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Ross "Dread Pirate Roberts" Ulbricht will never leave prison.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

...! posted:

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/happy-birthday-bitcoin-letter-ross-ulbricht/

Happy Birthday, Bitcoin! A Letter From Ross Ulbricht

Happy Birthday, Bitcoin!

Bitcoin is turning ten, and like many of us, I feel like a proud parent, having watched it grow into its potential over the years. I guess I’m the estranged father in prison though, who can’t be there to help raise his kid.

Bitcoin: Mommy, when’s Daddy coming home?

Mommy: He’ll come home as soon as he can, sweetie.

Mommy: I’ll explain when you’re older. Now run along and play blockchain with the other cryptos.

Bitcoin as a 10-year-old kid is not a bad analogy. The technology is still very young, still growing. It’s been shooting up like a weed and been through some growing pains, but it’s barely a pre-teen and has the rocky road of adolescence still ahead. It’s something we all have to go through to mature into adults, to discover who we are, and Bitcoin is no different.

We will see in the years ahead what Bitcoin is capable of, how it will be used, and the impact it will have on our world. I have high hopes that our gifted child will exceed everyone’s expectations and go on to greatness, but it is still a child that must be nurtured and protected.

Bitcoin needs us to continue guiding it with the values it was founded on, that gave it its potential. We must keep our focus on decentralization, privacy and empowering individuals. We are Bitcoin’s advocates and representatives. How far it goes and what it becomes in the crucial years ahead will depend on us. It is a technology with the power to make abstractions like peace and equality into reality. But it’s up to us to embody such ideals and be role models for the ever-growing Bitcoin community and for Bitcoin itself.

I’m so excited for what’s to come in the next ten years, for Bitcoin and all of its crypto cousins. I just hope I can come home and make up for these lost years and show everyone where my heart truly is.

--
This is a guest post by Ross Ulbricht. It was shared, with permission, with Bitcoin Magazine by Ross's mother, Lyn Ulbricht. To learn more about Ross, sign his petition for clemency, and support the campaign to free him, please visit freeross.org. Follow @free_ross, @RealRossU and the #freeross hashtag on Twitter. Visit Free Ross on Facebook and freerossulbricht on Instagram.
--
Guest Contributor

Ross Ulbricht is a Bitcoin advocate who is serving a double life sentence without parole, for all non-violent charges, for his role in the Silk Road website. He is seeking a commutation of that sentence from President Trump. Visit freeross.org.
finally a worthy successor to brazil.txt

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
so nice of rossy's mother to give them permission to share that personal and heartfelt letter

...!
Oct 5, 2003

EorayMel posted:

Ross "Dread Pirate Roberts" Ulbricht will never leave prison.

that's what makes the whole thing funny. his mom should have cared enough about her own kid to have been preparing him for being in prison forever. instead, she and his followers have given him so much false hope that he sincerely believes it's just a matter of time until he gets out. as year after year goes by and he's still rotting in there he'll be more and more confused as to why he's not out yet. the psychological toll is going to be HUGE, and he deserves it

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
oh boy

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1057633867002187776?s=21

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

...! posted:

that's what makes the whole thing funny. his mom should have cared enough about her own kid to have been preparing him for being in prison forever. instead, she and his followers have given him so much false hope that he sincerely believes it's just a matter of time until he gets out. as year after year goes by and he's still rotting in there he'll be more and more confused as to why he's not out yet. the psychological toll is going to be HUGE, and he deserves it

Yeah, that letter was written by "Ross Ulbricht" much the same way his tweets are.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

ross ulbrich hasn't had any contact with the outside world since he went in

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

continued cybercoin mining is guaranteed execution

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

We put a GPU in your asteroid miner, so you can mine while you mine

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Boxturret posted:

ross ulbrich hasn't had any contact with the outside world since he went in

no, he and his mother talk on the phone

and he writes letters

the us prison system is absolute garbage but by god they observe the bare minimum of human rights when the prisoner is a white, english-speaking upper-middle-class dude whose parents have lawyers

usually

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

To... the Moon?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealRossU/status/1057671172530200576

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

has it been 5 years already? wow time sure flies :allears:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

"Okay mother I have prepared a tweet for you to post"

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

...! posted:

Bitcoin as a 10-year-old kid is not a bad analogy. The technology is still very young, still growing.

Explains why butters like it.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
he is so, so sorry for getting himself caught. poor little angel

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

klafbang posted:

Explains why butters like it.
this joke never gets old :haw:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/RealRossU/status/1055148356807217153

"Okay mother and at the end use a grinning emoji, and make sure only the "SHU" is capitalized so people get the joke"

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

https://twitter.com/RealRossU/status/1056963230843592704

ross kills everything he touches :rip:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So back in the day there was a comic strip editing thread.

One of the popular targets was For Better Or Worse (FOOB)

But they had to call it FOOB because the writer was highly litigious about her ip.

The story going around the thread was that the characters were originally based around her family, but as her family slowly disappointed her and started walking out of her life she made the characters in the strip more and more idealized. Creating a perfect family for herself.

I think about that story every time I read a Ross tweet.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

that's not a story it's actually what happened and she's pretty open about it

also that thread still exists in bss

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Sham bam bamina! posted:

this joke never gets old :haw:

then butters must love it :haw:

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

Sham bam bamina! posted:

god i loving hate bit coins

...!
Oct 5, 2003

...! posted:

:wrong:

bitscoin are the best and you love them :getin:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I touched the poop in replying to the Tweet about Ross. I'm sorry.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Xelkelvos posted:

I touched the poop in replying to the Tweet about Ross. I'm sorry.

as penance you must mine 30 blocks and say 100 hail satoshis.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Bitcoin mining could cancel out climate change efforts, scientists say

Thomson Reuters · Posted: Oct 30, 2018 9:07 AM ET | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

Demand for bitcoin could single-handedly derail efforts to limit global warming because the increasingly popular digital currency takes huge amounts of energy to produce, scientists said on Monday.

Producing bitcoin at a pace with growing demand could by 2033 defeat the aim of limiting global warming to 2 C, according to U.S. research published in the journal Nature Climate Change.

Almost 200 nations agreed in Paris in 2015 on the goal to keep warming to "well below" a rise of 2 C above pre-industrial times.

But mining, the process of producing bitcoins by solving mathematical equations, uses high-powered computers and a lot of electricity, the researchers said.

"Currently, the emissions from transportation, housing and food are considered the main contributors to ongoing climate change," said study co-author Katie Taladay in a statement. "This research illustrates that bitcoin should be added to this list."

Mining is a lucrative business, with one bitcoin currently selling for about $8,300.

In 2017, bitcoin production and usage emitted an estimated 69 million tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent, the researchers said.

That year, bitcoin was involved in less than 0.5 per cent of the world's cashless transactions, they said.

As the currency becomes more common, researchers said it could use enough electricity to emit about 230 gigatonnes of carbon within a decade and a half. One gigatonne is equal to one billion tonnes of carbon.

"No matter how you slice it, that thing is using a lot of electricity. That means bad business for the environment," Camilo Mora, another co-author, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

Bitcoin mining, however, is becoming more energy efficient, said Katrina Kelly-Pitou, research associate at the University of Pittsburgh.

She said bitcoin miners are moving away from sites such as China, with coal-generated electricity, to more environmentally friendly utilities in Iceland and the United States.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Jonny Nox posted:

But they had to call it FOOB because the writer was highly litigious about her ip.

The story going around the thread was that the characters were originally based around her family, but as her family slowly disappointed her and started walking out of her life she made the characters in the strip more and more idealized. Creating a perfect family for herself.

*click*

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
god i loving hate bit coins

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

...! posted:

Bitcoin mining could cancel out climate change efforts, scientists say

Thomson Reuters · Posted: Oct 30, 2018 9:07 AM ET | Last Updated: 3 hours ago

Demand for bitcoin could single-handedly derail efforts to limit global warming because the increasingly popular digital currency takes huge amounts of energy to produce, scientists said on Monday.

Producing bitcoin at a pace with growing demand could by 2033 defeat the aim of limiting global warming to 2 C, according to U.S. research published in the journal Nature Climate Change.

Almost 200 nations agreed in Paris in 2015 on the goal to keep warming to "well below" a rise of 2 C above pre-industrial times.

But mining, the process of producing bitcoins by solving mathematical equations, uses high-powered computers and a lot of electricity, the researchers said.

"Currently, the emissions from transportation, housing and food are considered the main contributors to ongoing climate change," said study co-author Katie Taladay in a statement. "This research illustrates that bitcoin should be added to this list."

Mining is a lucrative business, with one bitcoin currently selling for about $8,300.

In 2017, bitcoin production and usage emitted an estimated 69 million tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent, the researchers said.

That year, bitcoin was involved in less than 0.5 per cent of the world's cashless transactions, they said.

As the currency becomes more common, researchers said it could use enough electricity to emit about 230 gigatonnes of carbon within a decade and a half. One gigatonne is equal to one billion tonnes of carbon.

"No matter how you slice it, that thing is using a lot of electricity. That means bad business for the environment," Camilo Mora, another co-author, told the Thomson Reuters Foundation.

Bitcoin mining, however, is becoming more energy efficient, said Katrina Kelly-Pitou, research associate at the University of Pittsburgh.

She said bitcoin miners are moving away from sites such as China, with coal-generated electricity, to more environmentally friendly utilities in Iceland and the United States.

I get the point behind this study, but just taking Bitcoin at face-value, both in terms of assuming adoption or in the assumption that mining is not an arbitrarily retarded process, send like such a dumb smart person thing.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
its cool my dudes, this planet will boil in 100 years so no need to worry about bitscon

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Pimblor posted:

its cool my dudes, this planet will boil in 10 years so no need to worry about bitscon

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
there's basically no way bitcoin mining will use 3000x more electricity in 10 years, it's disco-stu.png but with miner energy usage. which is quite directly tied to bitcoin price. more specifically: price that can actually be realized at scale by trading, to pay electricity bills. that means actual money getting injected by bagholders, not price manipulation by willybots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Jonny Nox posted:

that's actually true, she's owned up to it

the funnies by j. robert lennon is an interesting take on that, also inspired by the family circus

did the firefighter "some things just aren't worth dying for" smiley go away?

• Locked thread