Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Madmarker posted:

Overpowered and parasitic to the extreme

What does parasitic mean in MTG context

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

zoux posted:

A parasitic mechanic (energy in Kaladesh, for example) interacts with a small subset of the set it includes, rather than the rest of the card game as a whole. Nothing else outside of the Kaladesh block cared about energy, nothing probably ever will again.

Edit: The vehicle cards were a good example of a non-parasitic mechanic - creatures are fundamental to Magic, and that's all you need to enable vehicles.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

zoux posted:

A parasitic mechanic is one that only works with stuff explicitly designed to work with it.

So thats kinda vague, but stuff like horsemanship, energy and splice. These mechanics are only relevant within their own block, and unless a card is explicitly designed to interact with splice onto arcane, their is nothing that does.

Contrast this with non-parasitic mechanics like mentor. Mentor just wants other attacking creatures with low power. There are tons of low power creatures across magic's history that can attack with a creature with Mentor.

Anyway, when you have a parasitic mechanic, like energy. It isn't always bad, but when the parasitic mechanic is powerful, you end up with essentially block constructed decks being the only thing you can play and they force out other decks with cards from other sets in that standard from showing up. This leads to a super samey standard where everyone is either playing the super parasitic deck or a deck that hopefully beats it. Usually everyone just plays the powerful parasitic deck.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Claro, thanks

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoutPatrol posted:

Even Maro is admitting on his blog that Kaladesh was hosed up. That's how bad it is gotten for the most broken set since Mirrodin.

Link?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Kaladesh wasn't broken because it was an artifact block though, was it? The problem was Energy, Torrential Gearhulk and Smugglers Copter. The latter 2 are artifacts but it's incidental on Gearhulk and it's not the problem with copter. And copter might have been fine if it was in the same set as Fatal Push, if perhaps a bit too widely played.

The only thing breakable from it being an artifact block specifically was Improvise and that didn't really happen outside a gimmicky deck, as I recall.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

He’s been taking about it for a while.

Here is the State of Design article from last year
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/state-design-2017-2017-08-28

He also did a whole podcast on the lessons learned from Kaladesh last week.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tainen posted:

He’s been taking about it for a while.

Here is the State of Design article from last year
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/state-design-2017-2017-08-28

He also did a whole podcast on the lessons learned from Kaladesh last week.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

On vehicles, would a vehicle fit into a modern deck to be crewed by emmara? Like a heart of kiran or skysovereign?

I guess they might be too easy to kill in modern?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Madmarker posted:

Honestly, WOTC just shouldn't make artifact or colorless blocks.........like ever. They are always super overpowered, end up getting a bunch of cards banned, and well..................their initial wow factor wears off very quickly when everyone is playing the exact same deck until it gets banned out of standard.

The problem wasn't artifacts or colorless stuff, it was that Energy was a degenerate mechanic that allowed you to do some overpowered stuff, and combined with other pushed cards (Emrakul) meant that it was easy to put together a deck that was nigh-unbeatable because WOTC put Suncleanser (a hoser card that would've acted as something of a check on Energy decks) in M19 instead of Amonkhet or even Ixalan. Even after Emrakul was banned Energy decks (either Temur or whatever UBx variant) were tier 1 because the mechanic was just too efficient and couldn't be interacted with from your opponent's side of the table.

Smuggler's Copter was fine and shouldn't have been banned, but there was a distinct lack of creature removal for most of it's tenure in Standard so it had to go because it was in literally every non-control deck and you can't have 24+ copies of a card in every top 8 unless it's Teferi or Chainwhirler I guess. The gearhulks were about as degenerate as the titan cycle, which is to say that they were on the high end of creature power level but not oppressively so. The problem was energy and WOTC's inability to consistently craft healthy Standard environments.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 31, 2018

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

ilmucche posted:

On vehicles, would a vehicle fit into a modern deck to be crewed by emmara? Like a heart of kiran or skysovereign?

I guess they might be too easy to kill in modern?

The only vehicle good enough for modern is smuggler's copter occasionally, and Emmara isn't a good enough 2-drop for modern at all. Too slow, too easy to kill, and does nothing a lot of the time. You want to crew copters with things like lingering souls tokens or other small creatures you can't throw into normal combat.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

AlternateNu posted:

:siren:NYC Goon Meet Up Thread:siren:

So, enough people seem to be interested in a semi-regular meet up. Post in the thread and let’s get this train rolling.

Reposting this over the next couple pages. Report in, ya goons.

Buffis
Apr 29, 2006

I paid for this
Fallen Rib

Fingers McLongDong posted:

The only vehicle good enough for modern is smuggler's copter occasionally, and Emmara isn't a good enough 2-drop for modern at all. Too slow, too easy to kill, and does nothing a lot of the time. You want to crew copters with things like lingering souls tokens or other small creatures you can't throw into normal combat.

Yup, the only vehicle I’ve ever seen in modern (paper) is copter.

Saw one at the LGS yesterday in a deck similar to this
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-colorless-eldrazi-aggro-55584

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Buffis posted:

Yup, the only vehicle I’ve ever seen in modern (paper) is copter.

Saw one at the LGS yesterday in a deck similar to this
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-colorless-eldrazi-aggro-55584

merfolk and death + taxes use it occasionally as well

the main issue is vehicles aren't really above rate compared to wild nacatl or tarmogoyf, and don't have much synergy. aggro decks in modern are either trying to snowball an early advantage (humans, merfolk) , or just do just something broken (dredge, hollow one). not a lot of games are about the small incremental advantages that vehicles give you

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Kaladesh wasn't broken because it was an artifact block though, was it? The problem was Energy, Torrential Gearhulk and Smugglers Copter. The latter 2 are artifacts but it's incidental on Gearhulk and it's not the problem with copter. And copter might have been fine if it was in the same set as Fatal Push, if perhaps a bit too widely played.

The only thing breakable from it being an artifact block specifically was Improvise and that didn't really happen outside a gimmicky deck, as I recall.

Torrential Gearhulk was not the problem with Kaladesh, even if it was far and away the best of its cycle and a pain to play against. The problem cards were the artifacts with colored activations, namely Scrapheap Scrounger and Bomat Courier. Didn't help that they both went into the best deck, but decks were straight splashing black for scrounger and in some cases red for courier (mono white splashed it).

Obviously Copter and Heart of Kiran (I'm counting it, Kaladesh block) were also issues, especially in how they synergized with planeswalkers and gods to make sweepers almost unplayable. Those are some big mistakes, and that's not even counting energy which had to be banned out of the format. The mechanic as a whole was a mistake but of the banned cards only Copter and Aetherworks Marvel were bad designs on their face.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Latest Friday Nights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0USlyIy8vXQ

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
Man I posted my win on my friends' discord and they all dimissed it as being too random and equivalent of being a yankenpo king. So OFC I won again today with the hashtag #THEKING

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

The problem wasn't artifacts or colorless stuff, it was that Energy was a degenerate mechanic that allowed you to do some overpowered stuff, and combined with other pushed cards (Emrakul) meant that it was easy to put together a deck that was nigh-unbeatable because WOTC put Suncleanser (a hoser card that would've acted as something of a check on Energy decks) in M19 instead of Amonkhet or even Ixalan. Even after Emrakul was banned Energy decks (either Temur or whatever UBx variant) were tier 1 because the mechanic was just too efficient and couldn't be interacted with from your opponent's side of the table.

Smuggler's Copter was fine and shouldn't have been banned, but there was a distinct lack of creature removal for most of it's tenure in Standard so it had to go because it was in literally every non-control deck and you can't have 24+ copies of a card in every top 8 unless it's Teferi or Chainwhirler I guess. The gearhulks were about as degenerate as the titan cycle, which is to say that they were on the high end of creature power level but not oppressively so. The problem was energy and WOTC's inability to consistently craft healthy Standard environments.

You'll get no disagreement from me that the problems in Kaladesh didn't stem from the cards themselves being artifacts......However, WOTC is somewhere between 75-100% on artifact blocks being overpowered as hell, to the detriment of other sets. The Urza's Block, Mirrodin block, 2nd Mirrodin block and Kaladesh have all been broken as poo poo. Maybe the artifacts weren't the broken part..............but there does seem to be something poisonous in that design well.

edit-also I know Urza's was supposed to be an enchantment set.........it wasn't

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Madmarker posted:

You'll get no disagreement from me that the problems in Kaladesh didn't stem from the cards themselves being artifacts......However, WOTC is somewhere between 75-100% on artifact blocks being overpowered as hell, to the detriment of other sets. The Urza's Block, Mirrodin block, 2nd Mirrodin block and Kaladesh have all been broken as poo poo. Maybe the artifacts weren't the broken part..............but there does seem to be something poisonous in that design well.

edit-also I know Urza's was supposed to be an enchantment set.........it wasn't

Urza's was an enchantment set, pretty obviously if you look at the cards, in fact. It had broken artifacts in it, but it was not designed as an artifact set. 2nd Mirrodin block wasn't remotely broken until New Phyrexia, and artifacts were not the problem in that set, either.

Original Mirrodin is the only artifact block where the artifacts were the biggest design/development mistake, so taking the lesson "don't make artifact blocks" is not going to help WotC design better sets.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
The actual artifact stuff in Kaladesh wasn't all that powerful aside from Walking Ballista, which is an extremely dumb card(wotc made a much more cautiously designed variation on it in GRN). I know this because i used to run a construct tribal deck based on pia's revolution, ballista, and metallic mimic using scrap trawler to recur things like renegade maps into ballistas.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Ballista is one of the cards I was most glad to see rotate out of standard. If it ever gets reprinted it should be alongside a Krosahn's Grip reprint.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
The block really needed a stony silence reprint

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Marketing New Brain posted:

The block really needed a stony silence reprint

Should've been Null Rod.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Obviously they should have printed that 1/4 in M19 in KLD

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Should've been Null Rod.

Dude why? That card doesn't do anything.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Madmarker posted:

Spite. At this point my entire motivation for getting rid of the reserved list is spite. I don't even want to play with the cards anymore.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Madmarker posted:

No, it does nothing.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/toddstevensmtg/status/1057724640288784390
lol

Classic non apology

Tainen fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 31, 2018

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
"im sorry for some mysterious thing that i refuse to go into any detail on, anyways make sure to check out my twitch stream"

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

As an apology it rates even below "Sorry I burned down your village. Here's some gold."

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Eli Kassis's Jeskai list is so insanely smart, it was absolutely perfect for that weekend.

*0 creatures main, removal are completely dead spells
*Gateway over Azcanta to get live cards faster and win faster
*Banefire main to trump the control MUs and have an extra x spell for Gateway
*Settle + Seal Away to deal with both kinds of Phoenix and Adanto Vanguard
*Rekindlings in the SB as an incredibly hard to deal with threat after you board out most removal
*Revitalize in the SB against opposing Banefires
*The Immortal Sun in the SB because it's less vulnerable than Teferi
*Ixalan's Binding in the SB for drake phoenix decks

It has a lot of ways to beat each plan from GB - Carny T, Planeswalkers, or the grind out. It has a major advantage in control mirrors between Gateway and Banefire. It has lots of good answers to drakes and phoenixes and Adanto Vanguards. And it is doing something powerful besides playing Teferi so it has a higher power level against random decks.

Edit: gently caress Todd Stevens. SCG needs to share their investigation with WOTC, and WOTC needs to ban him.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 31, 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What is Nezahal supposed to do for those decks, I see it in a lot of SBs

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

zoux posted:

What is Nezahal supposed to do for those decks, I see it in a lot of SBs

It's good in control mirrors. Uncounterable massive threat that's hard to answer and also provides card advantage. It's much better in this format than the previous one, because Disallow could counter it's protection ability.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 31, 2018

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

zoux posted:

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

loooool this todd stevens "apology." I cannot believe he is going to stream again. He will have a combination of pitiful die-hard fans who make twitch streams their "community" and awful MRA demons. Get the gently caress out, man. We don't want you here.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
His twitch chat will be the most magic thing ever.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I can't wait to hear what that idiot youtuber from milwaukee with the bad beard who got banned for being a gross CHUD has to say about all this.

(I can wait actually. I would prefer to wait forever)

E: look at this poor sap who spent precious neurons on actually knowing his name
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Looking forward to the Jeremy Hamby special about this. The twitter replies have been pretty good.
:eyepop:

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
The replies to his post are mostly good

https://twitter.com/xjcloud/status/1057728939131592705

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ShaneB posted:

loooool this todd stevens "apology." I cannot believe he is going to stream again. He will have a combination of pitiful die-hard fans who make twitch streams their "community" and awful MRA demons. Get the gently caress out, man. We don't want you here.

lol yea those groups are definitely a "combination" and not the exact same people