Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Mystic Mongol posted:

I never really dug into the beta, so I don't know. I'll share a few random things I noticed.

There's very little setting information. This is neat for me, who has several splatbooks full of crap from previous editions, but maybe less neat for players new to the setting. I don't think it says what year the RPG is set in anywhere--I guess simultanious with the LCG? Still, that leaves a lot of pages for spells and kata and powers, which are the fun parts of an RPG.

There's a "Title" system, where you spend exp on a super short class track to earn a title. It's a neat idea, but it really feels like a socket for splatbooks to plug into later--there's only one title in the rulebook, and it's missing the special power a title is supposed to grant when you fully level it.

There's zero support for ronin, imperials, minor clans, and non-samurai in the core book, which is odd when you consider it's basically 350 pages of rules and options.

Most characters having a maximum of 1 void point feels at odds with the anxiety and adversity system, which revolves around giving void points for your character's weaknesses coming up. Either a PC spends their only point early on and doesn't have anything to fall back on in an emergency, or they don't spend any void and whenever their flaws come up, they get nothing from it. My takeaway is any character's first six exp should probably be spent raising void to 2.

This sounds like a great corebook. All the things most players will need are provided, while leaving lots of things to expand on in future releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I hear it breaks the pattern of each Clan getting a bushi, a courtier, and a shugenja in that the Scorpion are denied a bushi school. They instead get Yogo shugenja, whom I love dearly but will always consider "splatbook" material. I really like the "bushi, shugenja, courtier, wildcard to show Clan style" model for core book schools. Shame.

My group simply removes the void point cap with regard to flaws.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
The courtier school is already a Bayushi school so maybe they thought it'd be weird to have two Bayushi schools in the starter book.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Can't the Bayushi school take the bushi powers though? Seems like just at coming at a bushi class from a different direction if so. I am waiting for my copy to arrive, so I can't check myself.

So glad Matsu Berserker is in though.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Can't the Bayushi school take the bushi powers though? Seems like just at coming at a bushi class from a different direction if so. I am waiting for my copy to arrive, so I can't check myself.

So glad Matsu Berserker is in though.

Yes, Bayushi Manipulator can take Kata. They're not bad in a fight either, if you can pick a disad on an opponent in combat.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

SpaceViking posted:

Yes, Bayushi Manipulator can take Kata. They're not bad in a fight either, if you can pick a disad on an opponent in combat.

That is much more interesting conceptually that some bog standard Scorpion What Stabs Good.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Every courtier school in the beta could take kata, and anything seems silly when you thoughtlessly give it a reductive summary. Would you boot out Kakita Duelists from core for being "Cranes What Stab Good" in the name of including Asahina Artisans? I don't know what you think the (overused) phrase "bog standard" means but I'd say there's plenty conceptually interesting about the Scorpion martial tradition of fighting dirty as hell. I'm sitting here with a PC who's been a "Bayushi Manipulator" for months because he had no (official*) better fit for his actual character concept of being a proud swordsman, and he and I are put off. Not that I won't be getting this book anyhow.

*we will likely give him Kakita school rules and slap the Bayushi name on it

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

Every courtier school in the beta could take kata, and anything seems silly when you thoughtlessly give it a reductive summary. Would you boot out Kakita Duelists from core for being "Cranes What Stab Good" in the name of including Asahina Artisans? I don't know what you think the (overused) phrase "bog standard" means but I'd say there's plenty conceptually interesting about the Scorpion martial tradition of fighting dirty as hell. I'm sitting here with a PC who's been a "Bayushi Manipulator" for months because he had no (official*) better fit for his actual character concept of being a proud swordsman, and he and I are put off. Not that I won't be getting this book anyhow.

*we will likely give him Kakita school rules and slap the Bayushi name on it

So much of your school is determined by your skill list, I don't think blurring the lines between Bushi and courtier is inappropriate at all. It is pretty disingenuous to put up duelists as your example when they are the main thing the Crane clan has as its notable thing, much like the scheming manipulative Scorpion is right up there with Shinobi for the Scorpion.

Like, I am not saying that the Scorpion don't deserve a more basic fighter job. Far from it. Everyone needs more of everything, but I don't think Bayushi Manipulator is anything close to as weird as replacing Duelist with Artisan would be.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

The intent for the corebook was that every main family in the clan gets a school, instead of doing the old corebook thing of leaving some families to the wayside in order to do the typical 'bushi, courtier, shugenja' setup. This was to make every family's specialties as apparent as possible.

Whether it was a good choice or not is debatable, but I do understand why they did it, as someone who came into L5R the first time and was like 'wait, they talked about this family, but this family has no schools??'

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I appreciate your measured responses to a bit of bad attitude on my part. Thank you. I feel the core product, being the starting point for a theoretical new player, should ensure all basic archetypes are represented across all clans. Bayushi Bushi have been there since I was a kid excitedly digging through my 1e core book, back when "courtier schools" as an entire concept were splat material, so their absence now shakes me. What's done is done, though, and it breaks no deals for me. I may yet come in with a proper rant after seeing the magic rules, though.

In other news FFG is putting notorious LCG card Feast or Famine on the Restricted List! And monkeying around with the Role rules. https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/10/22/the-role-of-player-choice/

I really do like the commitment they're showing to keeping the game on a competitive track.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

SuperKlaus posted:

I really do like the commitment they're showing to keeping the game on a competitive track.

With Netrunner retired, is the L5R LCG the biggest thing they have going at the moment, competitively-speaking? Is the Star Wars LCG still running/even that big?

(obviously not counting X-Wing/Legacy in this, as those are certainly competitive but they aren't LCGs)

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Drone posted:

With Netrunner retired, is the L5R LCG the biggest thing they have going at the moment, competitively-speaking? Is the Star Wars LCG still running/even that big?

(obviously not counting X-Wing/Legacy in this, as those are certainly competitive but they aren't LCGs)

As far as competitive card games go they’re down to Game of Thrones, L5R and Keyforge, IIRC. I don’t know what’s bigger.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

SuperKlaus posted:

I appreciate your measured responses to a bit of bad attitude on my part. Thank you. I feel the core product, being the starting point for a theoretical new player, should ensure all basic archetypes are represented across all clans. Bayushi Bushi have been there since I was a kid excitedly digging through my 1e core book, back when "courtier schools" as an entire concept were splat material, so their absence now shakes me. What's done is done, though, and it breaks no deals for me. I may yet come in with a proper rant after seeing the magic rules, though.

Yeah, I totally get it. I was anxious to see if Matsu Berserker was in the corebook until it got confirmed. No one wants their favorite school to get overlooked. The one school for each family approach is pretty good and representative at least.

I have not even touched the magic rules yet. Historically magic is either totally worthless or totally game breaking with little room between, so I am interested to find out which we get.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a bit surprised we got nothing on the minor clans, after the Mantis were previewed in the beta. The reasoning people gave regarding this being the core rulebook and all make sense admittedly, but I'm still somewhat disappointed that the new edition's take on the Moshi has yet to be revealed and such.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Poor Unicorn, they were just getting some momentum and now Feast goes on the restricted list. Well maybe they can get something together for World's before it hits the list. Lion have definitely fallen quite a bit and this is going to put them more in the hole.

Dragon still seems pretty strong even losing Feast which they were basically going to do anyway come January

As a Scorpion I never really cared too much about Feast because I was rarely attacking with enough to break a province and usually just threatening a ring or undefended honor loss. Playing other clans and hitting Feast when they could really take advantage of it was huge though and it's a card that really punishes new players a lot.

I'm a little surprised Restoration of Balance wasn't added as well, it can be almost as crippling and basically says that against non-Scorpion clans Dragon can bid 5 while their opponents can't really bid very high until they know where Restoration is.

In both cases you can end up with a tremendous swing without really giving up a lot.

Either way, one of the reasons Dragon is so strong right now is that their provinces are very punishing to attack into.

I guess I misread the way roles were going to work last time because I thought they already announced two would be active at all times going forward, anyway I like this change. Gives them more leeway to print element and role locked cards, though I'd prefer to see more of the latter and less of the former.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Roland Jones posted:

I'm a bit surprised we got nothing on the minor clans, after the Mantis were previewed in the beta. The reasoning people gave regarding this being the core rulebook and all make sense admittedly, but I'm still somewhat disappointed that the new edition's take on the Moshi has yet to be revealed and such.

There's a PDF for the Mantis clan available on their website apparently? Or is that a relic from beta?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Drone posted:

There's a PDF for the Mantis clan available on their website apparently? Or is that a relic from beta?

Ah, it looks like they've updated the beta stuff they had and added to it significantly. That's cool. Hopefully we get some more minor clans soon then.

I like that they provided both a bushi and a shugenja school right away, despite there being only one "family" in the clan. If they keep having two schools per minor clan release instead of just one, that'll be great. Not having to rework some other clan's thing if you want to be a member of a minor clan outside their stereotypical role will really nice.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
Tortoise Clan is in the GMs kit too.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Neat. Do they also have two schools, out of curiosity?

Also, I hope the PDF versions of the books come soon.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

WerrWaaa posted:

Tortoise Clan is in the GMs kit too.

Wait, aren't they the Imperial Smugglers, basically?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So does FFG just outright own the L5R IP now or is it still a licensing deal?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

LeSquide posted:

Wait, aren't they the Imperial Smugglers, basically?

They are essentially the Emperor's Duty Free Shop, yes.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Drone posted:

So does FFG just outright own the L5R IP now or is it still a licensing deal?

They purchased it.

WerrWaaa
Nov 5, 2008

I can make all your dreams come true.
One Turtle school and yes it's the Kasuga Smuggler

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

SuperKlaus posted:

I appreciate your measured responses to a bit of bad attitude on my part. Thank you. I feel the core product, being the starting point for a theoretical new player, should ensure all basic archetypes are represented across all clans.

I think I, personally, disagree with this. I think the current setup of one school per family is more valuable for new players, because it allows anyone to simply play the family that catches their eyes. No more seeing Kaiu and going 'woah awesome cool blacksmith engineers who dont take no poo poo?' And then being told the kaiu engineer is in another book. Same with yogo etc.

Pope Affidavit IX
Oct 23, 2017
Old school players: Are Gaki able to be damaged by fists charged with Ki? Asking for a monk.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Pope Affidavit IX posted:

Old school players: Are Gaki able to be damaged by fists charged with Ki? Asking for a monk.

Without an edition to reference I don't know what to say, because outside of a given rule set this is a "vampires don't exist so they have any weakness you want them to have" sort of situation. Generally I'd say yes because monks punching ghosts is very on-brand for Rokugan.

KittyEmpress posted:

I think I, personally, disagree with this. I think the current setup of one school per family is more valuable for new players, because it allows anyone to simply play the family that catches their eyes. No more seeing Kaiu and going 'woah awesome cool blacksmith engineers who dont take no poo poo?' And then being told the kaiu engineer is in another book. Same with yogo etc.

They could have had it both ways with a Bayushi Bushi school alongside the Courtiers and when the Bayushi get two schools to all other names' one it's a "because we said so" situation. Would have simply matched the Crab and Unicorn in having five core book schools.

I have reviewed the core book versus the beta and checked out all the differences. It's overall extremely similar, which is to be expected. I regretfully drove myself up a tree seeing the effect keywords in spell previews. I compiled a list of changes that I saw and was going to post it but as it grew pretty large it became infeasible to post. I'll summarize and it's still going to be kind of :words:

GENERAL GAME MATTERS
  • Being Compromised sets vigilance to 1 now on top of forbidding dice with strife on them. I like the extra incentive to unmask.
  • Resilience is (Earth + Fire) x 2 instead of (Water + Fire) x 2. Composure is (Earth + Water) x2 instead of (Earth + Fire) x 2. OK, whatever.
  • Suffering strife from Anxiety is now enough to give Void Points, down from unmasking being needed, and VP also come from choosing to suffer a complication. Complications are a new official term for the GM throwing your giri or ninjo in your face so you have to think about it once per session. Mechanically you may take three strife and get a VP when it happens, or just shrug it off. It's a good rule. Essentially it means everyone has Anxiety about their giri and ninjo.
  • Speaking of strife, ninjo now causes 3 flat strife when ignored and cools all strife when followed during downtime, and giri no longer has a particular interaction with strife. Other than Complications.
  • A handy chart of suggested Op uses by element and situation in the back of the book compiles things in an accessible place and adds some new suggestions. :yeah:
  • Many game effects that used to target Tainted things now target Otherworldly things. That does include entities like manifest kami and ghosts but excludes "mundane" Tainted stuff like bakemono.

CHARACTER SCHOOLS
There were many changes to School and Mastery Abilities but almost none of them changed the school radically, so I'll save text and not report everything.
  • Togashi Tattooed Monks are the exception; they are totally reworked. Rather than that lame bonus to skill checks they now select a kiho once per Rank, learn the kiho for free, and bind it to a tattoo that gives it bonus successes whenever used. They're cool again, everyone!
  • Isawa Elementalists can now pick any two Rings to increase, which is good because it was very silly to have them oriented to Fire and Water always.

TECHNIQUES GENERALLY
  • They all cost 3 XP now, which is a nerf to many kata and shuji because the Techniques of those classes that only added new ways to use Ops used to cost 2 XP. Yes, a nerf to non-magical builds. Sigh.
  • Non-curriculum purchases give half credit towards Ranks. Finally we are given a straight answer on how they work. I like this rule.
  • XP costs to rank up have risen. I'd say roughly 25%. That's fair in the name of keeping progression tracks at their intended length.
  • Ninjutsu are a new class of Technique. There's only four in the core book though.

KATA
  • These are generally the same. That means that they still don't do a whole lot other than "hit man" (sigh again). However, several of the mid-to-high-Rank condition-oriented kata gained increased damage output, so at least they are on balance better at "hitting man."
  • I counted seven new kata. One of them shows a little willingness to break out of caveman grog "verisimilitude" thinking where it lets the player pray to his ancestors to make his sword holy, but it's Rank 5 and pretty limited overall. Baby steps, I suppose. We still lack anything as bad-rear end as the Mirumoto death whirlwinds and Shiba Void sinks of past L5R RPG editions.
  • Iaijutsu: Crossing Blade is the exact same P.O.S.
  • Iaijutsu: Rising Blade is different though. Now it deals damage equal to deadliness - that's still 5 instead of the regular 4 for a one-handed katana, woo-hoo - but the damage becomes a crit if the target is Compromised. It no longer may use 2 Ops to crank up crit severity. In a duel when you Finishing Blow a Compromised target you get a 10-point crit with a one-handed katana just using a generic Attack. A generic Attack at TN 2, not TN 3 like this kata. That gets more crit severity for more successes. I don't see how this kata isn't trash like its brother. At least if you're in it for the ability to draw while still attacking Crossing Blade hits harder.

KIHO
  • Major changes here. Immediate effects are now called burst effects and require bonus successes to fire, rather than firing alongside baseline success. Kiho effects are renamed enhancement effects and no longer take effect on failed checks.
  • Every last kiho has had its TN changed to align with the new approach to things. The TNs are all lowered and the required bonus successes for burst effects are set such that the same number of successes that got you a successful check in the beta get you a success with burst effect here, generally. So the real effect of the new rules is that there is a non-zero chance that you skunk the check and don't even get the enhancement effect. The TNs are so low that total failure is improbable, but it is technically possible, so this is a light nerf to kiho. I had advocated for a feather-touch nerf so I'm happy.
  • A whole ton of kiho have very different effects now. Nearly all the ones that let you spend a Void Point for something are changed. I can't post them all without a wall of text. My impression is that kiho effects were overall nerfed, losing various instances of damage, guaranteed status infliction, or miscellaneous bounties, but seriously it's hard to be sure among the changes. At this time I accept where kiho ended up relative to kata - more powerful overall due to diversity of effect, but probably not as good at "hit man" and with some awkward use restrictions.
  • I counted three new kiho, all Rank 1.

INVOCATIONS
The big source of balance problems has entered its final core book form!
  • The big news first: backlashes now ban the invocation’s element from the caster for the rest of the scene in addition to causing damage and an elementally-aligned effect. Now that's some bite I can get behind. My Java program suggested that backlash is a very real risk for many situations and I know many shugenja would be pretty sad to have their favorite element banned. This is *still* not perfect for several reasons but it's good stuff.
    (Flavor-wise, if the kami have retreated, why can others still use the element?)
  • Air backlash no longer Disorients. Fire backlash only ignites terrain at GM discretion. Earth backlash no longer Prones. I would have kept the status effects and added something to Water but I can live with this. Seriously, the flavor text speaks of accidental maelstroms when trying to call a gentle current, and then the Water backlash just makes a little muddy pool around your feet? :cmon:
  • Offerings now re-roll three blank dice instead of giving a Distinction. This is a buff because it can stack with Distinction, so I disapprove, but it's not a big buff. Indeed stacking them would often be small marginal gain because you might only have so many dice in need of re-rolls.
  • There is a new table of generic Op uses by invocation element, which mostly saves repetitive text but probably also empowers spells here and there.
  • A new keyword system flags spell effects for interaction with other game elements. This is sound rationalization of effects.
  • There were several changes to spells, but not nearly so many or so drastic as happened with kiho. Spells generally do what they did in the beta. However, several TNs to resist effects were lowered, so that's a nerf, so...good.
  • I counted nine new invocations. Check this out, though: five invocations were deleted! They included some of the worst offenders for magical supremacy, too, like Essence of Air (mist form) and Know the Mind (telepathy). :byewhore: I only hope the developers don't reintroduce the drat things in splats. Though shugenja still do a lot of wacky poo poo like flying and summoning monsters, any reduction to their toolkit is balancing.

RITUALS
  • No meaningful changes.
  • One new ritual: Tea Ceremony.

SHUJI
  • A few small changes to the numbers. No meaningful changes otherwise.
  • One new shuji: Prey on the Weak.

MAHO
  • Maho backlash now crits you with severity equal to your strife instead of Tainted Rings x 2. Does not ban further maho.
  • Maho offerings now reroll three blanks instead of giving Distinction, just like invocation offerings.
  • Maho spells no longer Taint the ring used on success.
  • Mark of Desecration can raise Bushi Skeletons as well as Peasant Zombies and works on any corpse, not just Afflicted ones, but the undead created also can't use the creator's skills as freely.
  • The other spells changed changed around a bit but I only felt I'd point out the undead-making one. Seems every maho-tsukai uses that one.

EQUIPMENT
  • Lacquered armor is Cumbersome; testubo and otsuchi damage is down by one so they don't embarrass katana quite so badly; Concealable weapons can be readied as part of an Attack action; Snaring weapons can now spend Ops equal to a target's vigilance to Immobilize; Subtle gear no longer increases TN to learn about its user.
  • Unholy items no longer allow a resist TN to avoid Affliction at end of scene after use, no longer cause Afflicted to their targets when dealing damage, and now ignore Otherworldly being resistance. So obsidian swords and maho knives are more dangerous but more tempting to use (they can bust ghosts) and also don't spam curses when PCs are on the receiving end. Good ideas, all.
  • There are protective charms that give small benefits now!
  • Poisons and ammunition and a couple other little things are different in small ways.

CONFLICTS
  • A new "momentum points" system tracks progress towards goals in intrigues and mass battles. Imagine if "rhetorical points" were renamed and also applied to mass battles. That's momentum. I think it's a very welcome addition to mass battle rules. We see a fairly consistent scheme for handling extended-in-game-world-time conflicts this way.
  • You can't skip your initiative check to heal strife any longer.
  • You heal up to half health and strife at the end of scenes.
  • You cannot Predict Void in a duel any more.
  • Razor-Edged weapons cause Bleeding now on crits of severity 3-6. This is a welcome small buff to katana over tetsubo.
  • Unspecified invocations and maho have deadliness equal to Ring + strife symbols kept, not Ring + strife / wounds on caster.
  • Affliction is not tied to Rings. Instead, it keys off your most recently used Ring when you become Compromised. It also sets vigilance to 1.
  • Exhausted now makes characters not heal fatigue and strife at end of scene.
  • New condition Silenced makes casting spells, using shuji, and general Intrigue actions a lot harder.
  • Fortifications have been reworked and include a momentum point difficulty rating to dislodge their occupants.
  • Again, other little things changed.

SuperKlaus fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 31, 2018

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I liked that Crab shugenja got access to katas in addition to invocations, instead of the typical shuji. I thought it was cool to have a more martially-capable shugenja at the cost of being crap at social niceties. Does anybody else get that arrangement? And on a semi-related note, what is the Dragon shugenja school like?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Dick Burglar posted:

I liked that Crab shugenja got access to katas in addition to invocations, instead of the typical shuji. I thought it was cool to have a more martially-capable shugenja at the cost of being crap at social niceties. Does anybody else get that arrangement? And on a semi-related note, what is the Dragon shugenja school like?

I'm pretty sure the Kuni are the only shugenja school that get kata. More than just katas, the Kuni Purifier school has a really strong theme, and that theme is beating up ghosts. They start with four spells, three of which are for dealing with ghosts and one of which is stoneskin. The school is good at skulking about, hanging out in haunted forests, and totally ignoring strife when dealing with demons. They're a super rad school.

The dragon shugenja school CAN learn Shuji powers, I guess. Mostly they're pure mages, though, and they can cast spells as the wrong element, which is fun.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
I don't know if anyone is following the World Cup but Nyxnyxnyx is a regular poster here and dominating as a Scorpion for the Singapore team. As Taiwan doesn't even have 4 people that play online, I'm rooting for Singapore.

America out already because "lol world cup" and America has a long history of ignoring the meta outside the U.S. and then getting trounced by it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

Soshi get Ninjitsu powers! Overall I am extremely happy with the way schools work in the new edition. Changing what skills give you full xp towards advancement, while still letting you do what you want for half, is a great way to incentivize them to not dump all points into swords and rings. Raising stats not counting for advancement is also huge too.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

PaybackJack posted:

I don't know if anyone is following the World Cup but Nyxnyxnyx is a regular poster here and dominating as a Scorpion for the Singapore team. As Taiwan doesn't even have 4 people that play online, I'm rooting for Singapore.

America out already because "lol world cup" and America has a long history of ignoring the meta outside the U.S. and then getting trounced by it.

Oh poo poo, didn't realise nyxnyxnyx is a Goon. I've been catching some games on YouTube and since Australia didn't make the cut I'm rooting for Singapore now!

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Soshi get Ninjitsu powers! Overall I am extremely happy with the way schools work in the new edition. Changing what skills give you full xp towards advancement, while still letting you do what you want for half, is a great way to incentivize them to not dump all points into swords and rings. Raising stats not counting for advancement is also huge too.

Wait, there are separate ninjutsu powers now? I don't recall Shosuro ninjas actually having those, just katas and shuji and rituals I think. Maybe I'm just misremembering?

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Dick Burglar posted:

Wait, there are separate ninjutsu powers now? I don't recall Shosuro ninjas actually having those, just katas and shuji and rituals I think. Maybe I'm just misremembering?

Can't check right now, but as there are only 4 powers they might just have them all in their school ranks.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Can't check right now, but as there are only 4 powers they might just have them all in their school ranks.

They are. Nobody gets blanket "Ninjutsu" access.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Rolled on the Heritage table and now I gotta pick between a mahō or ninjutsu technique :stare:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Is there any minimum refresh for void points beyond the first session, or are they almost entirely intended to be gained through adverse effects? I'm not certain whether to interpret "A character begins the game with Void points equal to half their Void Ring, rounded up..." as occurring at the beginning of a campaign or instead at the beginning of a session. Usually the text talks about effects on per scene/per session bases or discusses campaigns as a whole, so I don't have anything to infer from.

NGDBSS fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Nov 2, 2018

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
You get them at the start of the session too.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Now that I have read through the whole book I have to say I am hype to start playing. I really like the direction that FFG are taking the rpg, so hopefully they will continue to do good things. All the school especially are good because by boiling the special techniques down to a starting technique and a capstone you get a stronger flavor by having to keep these two abilities distinct from other schools.

The skull lists are something I love. It is a pretty elegant way to guide advancement in a logical way (it is literally what your instructors want you to learn) while still letting you ultimately do what you want. Just little things like the Shiba school having shuji as options and certain ranks and not kata does a lot to provide the flavor of a more refined scholar and not just a bodyguard.

This is also the first edition I have wanted to play a Scorpion. The Soshi Capstone is amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Skelettin posted:

Rolled on the Heritage table and now I gotta pick between a mahō or ninjutsu technique :stare:

It irks me in a big way they kept that drat Heritage table. Let's see, a new Technique that can break the boundaries of my school and in the case of Invocation lets me access the entire spell list via Importuning rules, or...move a Ring up 1 and another down 1. Why don't we just go back to "3d6 down the line" ability scores while we're at it?

Lord_Hambrose posted:

The skull lists are something I love. It is a pretty elegant way to guide advancement in a logical way (it is literally what your instructors want you to learn) while still letting you ultimately do what you want. Just little things like the Shiba school having shuji as options and certain ranks and not kata does a lot to provide the flavor of a more refined scholar and not just a bodyguard.

This is also the first edition I have wanted to play a Scorpion. The Soshi Capstone is amazing.

I agree with these statements. The skill lists really do sell the brand of each dojo. And I can step back from fighter-wizard forever war to recognize that the Soshi capstone is bloody hilarious.