Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Zaphod42 posted:

Dude, chill. And by that same logic, this is pure fantasy, so let me have it my way. Its just two differing opinions. There's no inherent better way. Your way is how you would prefer it, my way is how I would prefer it.

That's all I was saying. "I don't like having named characters". You don't have to take it so personally dude. So what?

I'm not actually mad, don't worry. Lots of the 'no named' stuff guys really push that other people need to conform to their vision, and if they don't or ruining the experience somehow. I'm all for people doing whatever they hell they want and playing in whatever way they enjoy best. I just get annoyed when people move from that to insisted others should conform to their vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Sab669 posted:

This guy is gonna feel real silly when he finds out mods are illegal;

Those things are so cool.

Owns Bones

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

"Zaphod42" posted:

I don't know as much about Tau, that one is harder to explain. I would imagine some kind of civil war is still possible even within the Tau though.

Subs vs. Dubs

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Eifert Posting posted:

Subs vs. Dubs

Waifu Wars

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Eifert Posting posted:

Subs vs. Dubs

That's Eldar

Although Tau are space Gundams so I guess they're anime too

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've been saying Eldar where the real anime faction for longer than the Tau have been a thing.

I've said for years that the Tao are space Imperial British people

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Eifert Posting posted:

I've been saying Eldar where the real anime faction for longer than the Tau have been a thing.

I don't know whether to be more offended as an Eldar player or as a British person.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zaphod42 posted:

I don't know as much about Tau, that one is harder to explain. I would imagine some kind of civil war is still possible even within the Tau though.

Not really without going into sub-faction match-ups. The literally only possible one is Farsight Enclaves vs. any other Sept, and that one has (canonically) never happened.

The T'au Empire is small and new enough that it's literally never happened in the entire time T'au have had firearms of any kind.

Sometimes it's dumb, but at the very least it's not because they're perfect or whatever, it's because literally the entire species is under some kind of mind control from the Ethereals.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Strobe posted:

Not really without going into sub-faction match-ups. The literally only possible one is Farsight Enclaves vs. any other Sept, and that one has (canonically) never happened.

The T'au Empire is small and new enough that it's literally never happened in the entire time T'au have had firearms of any kind.

Sometimes it's dumb, but at the very least it's not because they're perfect or whatever, it's because literally the entire species is under some kind of mind control from the Ethereals.

Yeah that's what I kinda figured. They're really big on the greater good and being part of the big collective.

But if they're being mind controlled by Ethereals then you could say like some chaos god or demon takes over the mind control for some Tau and pits them against the others. Chaos Tau! (Coming 2024) Or maybe the shadow in the warp created by a nearby Tyranid fleet breaks the mind control and some of the Tau are given free will and rebel against the ethereal society. :shrug: Fun to think about though.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Eifert Posting posted:

To me they're a mix of Gundams, the Droid army from the star wars prequels, and the Covenant from Halo.

To really make the Covenant you'd probably need Eldar and Tau. Always wanted to try doing a purple scheme for tau but never got around to that and never will lol.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

This guy is gonna feel real silly when he finds out mods are illegal;

Those things are so cool.

At the NOVA Open this year I played against a fella who had a similar thing goin'.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Both of those knights are extremely rad.

Oh poo poo, that reminds me I have the old Goff Rockers figures laying around unassembled.

Gotta find a way to work those into my speed freeks cars :orks: I need to check but I think they're metal so that may make it harder to convert... but should be some way to make it work. Worst case is I put them in a wagon.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Please tell me that at least one of those knights used legit Bluetooth speakers :rock:

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Oh my dear sweet goons - that no Tau has ever fought another since the Ethereals arrived is just Ethereal propaganda - that’s exactly what they want you to think. Wake up and smell the oysters! The auxiliary massacre by the fourth sphere, the “persistent and regrettable targeting system malfunctions” on Sh’len, the earth caste pogroms on Dolmus IV? Think, god.

(It’s a galaxy of war, forge the narrative)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah that's what I kinda figured. They're really big on the greater good and being part of the big collective.

But if they're being mind controlled by Ethereals then you could say like some chaos god or demon takes over the mind control for some Tau and pits them against the others. Chaos Tau! (Coming 2024) Or maybe the shadow in the warp created by a nearby Tyranid fleet breaks the mind control and some of the Tau are given free will and rebel against the ethereal society. :shrug: Fun to think about though.

It's funny because GW has basically done their best to write this possibility out of the fluff. :v: It's explicitly a non-psychic ability and the shadow in the warp does nothing to it.

T'au large-scale interactions with daemons have happened exactly once and the very first thing the daemons did was kill all of the Ethereals. That's how the Farsight Enclaves ended up splitting off in the first place, all the mind-control sources died. The T'au codex actually describes that fight as "set upon by unknown forces" and the word "Chaos" is never used as a proper noun in the whole book. Neither is "daemon". There's one T'au dude who gets possessed in the Farsight: Crisis of Faith novel and is never mentioned outside of the context of that book for any reason.

T'au would probably be a lot more interesting if they were big enough that they could encounter actual other enemies, but at present the T'au list of things to fight includes:

Orks (Public Enemy #1)
Ultramarines and Raven Guard, plus some Imperial Fists successors I can't remember the name of
Imperial Guard
Hive Fleet Gorgon
Dark Eldar that one time

And, uh, that's pretty much it. Everything else is "officially hasn't ever happened".

Thanks GW.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The answer to how two armies with the same characters can fight each other is always solved by just blaming it on Warp fuckery or a Chaos trick

Zaphod42 posted:

To me they're a mix of Gundams, the Droid army from the star wars prequels, and the Covenant from Halo.

They don't really have any Gundam elements to them though. Thematically or in terms of designs.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
The fourth sphere of expansion got slung across the galaxy where all the auxiliaries got possessed due to not having a geller field, resulting in them needing to be slaughtered by the now paranoid and xenophobic Tau. Who knows what else the survivors bumped into. Also the Dark Eldar have had interactions with the Tau and they did not understand the distinction between the Drukhari and the Craftworlders which led to some hijinks.

Also, if you need GW to spoon feed you a list of approved match ups for your army, oh my gosh. You need to roll some 6s cos it’s time to seize the initiative.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Milotic posted:

The fourth sphere of expansion got slung across the galaxy where all the auxiliaries got possessed due to not having a geller field, resulting in them needing to be slaughtered by the now paranoid and xenophobic Tau. Who knows what else the survivors bumped into. Also the Dark Eldar have had interactions with the Tau and they did not understand the distinction between the Drukhari and the Craftworlders which led to some hijinks.

Also, if you need GW to spoon feed you a list of approved match ups for your army, oh my gosh. You need to roll some 6s cos it’s time to seize the initiative.

You seem to be misinterpreting "GW hasn't actually done much with T'au and that's sad" with "GW hasn't approved this match-up therefore :goonsay:"

I'm agreeing with you.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Strobe posted:

It's funny because GW has basically done their best to write this possibility out of the fluff. :v: It's explicitly a non-psychic ability and the shadow in the warp does nothing to it.

T'au large-scale interactions with daemons have happened exactly once and the very first thing the daemons did was kill all of the Ethereals. That's how the Farsight Enclaves ended up splitting off in the first place, all the mind-control sources died. The T'au codex actually describes that fight as "set upon by unknown forces" and the word "Chaos" is never used as a proper noun in the whole book. Neither is "daemon". There's one T'au dude who gets possessed in the Farsight: Crisis of Faith novel and is never mentioned outside of the context of that book for any reason.

T'au would probably be a lot more interesting if they were big enough that they could encounter actual other enemies, but at present the T'au list of things to fight includes:

Orks (Public Enemy #1)
Ultramarines and Raven Guard, plus some Imperial Fists successors I can't remember the name of
Imperial Guard
Hive Fleet Gorgon
Dark Eldar that one time

And, uh, that's pretty much it. Everything else is "officially hasn't ever happened".

Thanks GW.

Forge your narrative.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Da final Regimentul Bosspole

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I don't know what that Blackstone Drone is meant to be, but I dig the gently caress out of that aesthetic and want to see more.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Two Beans posted:

At the NOVA Open this year I played against a fella who had a similar thing goin'.

Yep, belongs to my son:

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

OhDearGodNo posted:

Yep, belongs to my son:

Your son is good people. Was very patient with me still learning 8th ed rules.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Milotic posted:

Oh my dear sweet goons - that no Tau has ever fought another since the Ethereals arrived is just Ethereal propaganda - that’s exactly what they want you to think. Wake up and smell the oysters!

:lol:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

They don't really have any Gundam elements to them though. Thematically or in terms of designs.

They're not identical but to say they have no Gundam elements at all...

Overall tau mechs are more squat and square, but I see a lot of crossover. If you were saying strictly OG Gundam then yeah, but all the extended universe Gundams come in so many shapes.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zaphod42 posted:

They're not identical but to say they have no Gundam elements at all...

Overall tau mechs are more squat and square, but I see a lot of crossover. If you were saying strictly OG Gundam then yeah, but all the extended universe Gundams come in so many shapes.

Those might share some small similarities, like missile pods and a big gatling gun, and being generally humanoid robots. But those Tau mechs look way more like Macross robots to me

less humanoid, bigger torsos, built-in weapons instead of arms

The Supremacy Armour is just the Monster

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Two Beans posted:

Your son is good people. Was very patient with me still learning 8th ed rules.

Will do!

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
If I ever lost my sense of decency and compassion towards my fellow man and started a tau army, every one of my suits would have their dinky little heads replaced with armored slits. Goofiest dang thing.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Guy Goodbody posted:

Those might share some small similarities, like missile pods and a big gatling gun, and being generally humanoid robots. But those Tau mechs look way more like Macross robots to me

less humanoid, bigger torsos, built-in weapons instead of arms

The Supremacy Armour is just the Monster

So they're anime.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So they're anime.

Anime:Gundam::Space Marines:Ultramarines

Same general category, but definitely not that trite garbage. :v:

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Strobe posted:

Anime:Gundam::Space Marines:Ultramarines

Same general category, but definitely not that trite garbage. :v:

Gundam:Tau::Battletech:Titans

GW doesn't do direct ripoffs, but they don't remotely hide the source of their inspiration.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

So they're anime.

Not all anime robots are the same. No reasonable person would mix up a Scopedog with a LFO, or a Patlabor with the Big O

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Not all anime robots are the same. No reasonable person would mix up a Scopedog with a LFO, or a Patlabor with the Big O

Not everybody is a weeb

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Maneck posted:

Gundam:Tau::Battletech:Titans

GW doesn't do direct ripoffs, but they don't remotely hide the source of their inspiration.

I had to significantly re-evaluate the scale of the hexmaps used for BattleTech when I realized that most BattleMechs are similar height to Warhounds and significantly faster.

That said, Gundam is pretty far down the list of direct inspirations for T'au. It's a lazy analogy primarily informed by the mid/late 90s' introduction of anime into popular culture. Gundam is what people remember, therefore Gundam is obviously what inspired T'au (even if it didn't).

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Anime is trash.

Tau are trash.

:colbert:

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Mef989 posted:

Please tell me that at least one of those knights used legit Bluetooth speakers :rock:

One of my buddies brought his Warlord with a speaker inside to the Glowpocalypse event at NOVA. It was pretty loving rad.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Strobe posted:

I had to significantly re-evaluate the scale of the hexmaps used for BattleTech when I realized that most BattleMechs are similar height to Warhounds and significantly faster.

That said, Gundam is pretty far down the list of direct inspirations for T'au. It's a lazy analogy primarily informed by the mid/late 90s' introduction of anime into popular culture. Gundam is what people remember, therefore Gundam is obviously what inspired T'au (even if it didn't).

I think the Tau were released right when Gundam Wing was on American TV, so yeah it makes sense people would connect the two. Even if the robot designs take a lot more from Macross

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
I would have figured most Battlemechs were Knight sized until you got into the Assault class. An Atlas would be bigger than a warhound for sure.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

No reasonable person wants to gently caress children either, but apparently you still exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I loving love the big tau mech who has missile pods for arms

Never seen it played but I love that model