Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

cheque_some posted:

What do most people's companies allow as far as business class upgrades?

I don't travel for work at my current job, but at my first job business class was allowed for transatlantic/transpacific flights, so it always seems really grim to me when companies require, e.g. regular travel to Asia in coach.

Flights over 3 hours = business class
I'm a domestic traveler, mostly coast-to-coast, so I'm almost always in business on the company's dime, first with status depending on the itenerary.

I don't mind domestic flights. I hate domestic airports.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Business absolutely forbidden for anything less than 14 hours.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Goober Peas posted:

I'm a domestic traveler, mostly coast-to-coast, so I'm almost always in business on the company's dime, first with status depending on the itenerary.

loving hell. What kind of company you work for?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Goober Peas posted:

What is business vs first on domestic flights or which carrier? Isn’t even delta one/Polaris only accompanied with delta comfort?

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Vomik posted:

What is business vs first on domestic flights or which carrier? Isn’t even delta one/Polaris only accompanied with delta comfort?

I think American has 3 class service on their trans-cons in their A321s. Otherwise I think everyone else is 2 class.

Quandary
Jan 29, 2008
I've flown DFW- Hong Kong twice in coach for work and it was not ideal.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Flying through MCI is like traveling backwards in time. Getting through security at your individual gate is pretty easy - at least with Alaska - but not having any real coffee or food options inside sucks. Also, having to phone a cab to pick me up instead of having cabstands is unfortunate, but I guess things are so spread out it has to be that way.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
If work is paying its strictly coach, and non-refundable not full-fare. On the rare occasions I’m allowed to accept OEM travel, that’s usually international and business class.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

cheque_some posted:

I don't travel for work at my current job, but at my first job business class was allowed for transatlantic/transpacific flights, so it always seems really grim to me when companies require, e.g. regular travel to Asia in coach.

Allowed on flights over 6 hours as long as it's reasonable. I've also been allowed to straight up purchase business class airfare when it's over 10 hours and the difference between premium economy and business class is like $1000, or if the trip is funded by a partner or customer in some way.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Delta domestic is Main, Premium Main (aka exit rows), Comfort Plus, First.

I can expense Comfort Plus on any leg 3 hours or more.

Fortune 100 global manufacturing corporation.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

cheque_some posted:

For the company itself? Paid first or biz.

Billed to clients: most do paid biz, some will do economy. If I’m flying with them and they’re in economy I’m back there with them (unless I get awkwardly operationally upgraded) but if it’s to meet them we will usually use miles or sometimes money to pay the difference for an upgrade if my schedule is heavy.

And sometimes we charter, which is a far cooler version of economy unless it’s on the JetMagic

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Midjack posted:

Business absolutely forbidden for anything less than 14 hours.

Same, and often not approved even if over 14.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

cheque_some posted:

For crossing oceans it's allowed. For some spots in South America like Rio it's allowed. If it was something like a last second flight to cover another trainer and it was eating into an off week, my boss might sign off on it. But generally I book economy.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
internal travel depends; domestic is Y and overseas is typically Y+

client travel depends on the client's policy but generally domestic is Y and overseas is J

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What’s everyone spending on hotels, food and rental cars?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hotel is $150/night. If that's literally unavailable, it's the absolute cheapest option within x miles (usually like 15).

Food is a $50/day per diem, minus $15 for every "provided" meal. Free continental breakfast at hotels counts against this and I avoid them at all costs.

Rental car is whatever Avis has. I have lots of equipment so I can normally rent full-size.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
We usually estimate our expenses for contracts and generally need to live within them unless the client changed out meeting frequency or requested additional trips, etc.

I’m a Marriott loyalist and usually stay in Courtyard or Residence Inn properties to keep costs down.

National for cars if we need them, but often just cabs/Uber/Lyft if we’re working in an urban core.

My primary client right now offers breakfast and lunch on site, so we usually go out and have a nice dinner; company policy is $75/person/day, but there is some flexibility. We also bill alcohol separately as an overhead cost (within reason). Otherwise it scales with the client; my Napa Valley clients are more flexible on F&B costs, for example.

I work for a medium size design consultancy.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Whatever I drat well feel like, OP.

Within reason

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Tab8715 posted:

Hotels and Cars have to be through available preferred vendors (Hilton/IHG properties, National or Enterprise), Concur keeps tabs on your choices and what was available when you chose it.

Food is at descretion, I've learned more than $50/meal/person or $100/day/person gets you flagged for review.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
What do you guys do when your flight delay means you arrive at your hotel the next day?

My original flights today would have misconnected in DFW due to weather delays. Now I will arrive at my hotel in Florida around 5pm tomorrow instead of tonight. Thankfully I will stay at home tonight (with my desktop computer).

I run a small business so every dollar matters...I probably can't get anything out of the hotel, right? I have basic trip delay coverage through my Barclay's AA Silver Aviator but it doesn't really say anything about reimbursing unused hotel.

e: nevermind I called the hotel and they are refunding me a night, that's really nice of them since it's not their fault

Mandalay fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Oct 31, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Tab8715 posted:

whatever the gently caress i want that is client-justifiable

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Sorry for the pivot why aren’t other hotel chains - Hilton, IHG, Choice, etc. participants in the Marriott strike?

Is Marriott the only one that pays garbage?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Tab8715 posted:

I was gonna type it out but

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

whatever the gently caress i want that is client-justifiable

is much easier. it mostly depends on the city i'm traveling to.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

For hotels over $300 I need a manager override in Concur. Generally I'm traveling to areas outside of downtown in the various cities so it's often between $120 to $250 a night depending on location. For food it's $40 for dinner, $15 for lunch, and $15 for breakfast. But finance doesn't say anything until you start consistently turning in +$100 dinners for yourself. For rental cars the instructions are to pick the intermediate car for either Avis, National or Enterprise.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Per diem is 50-70/day based on the city. They want us to subtract $10/day for provided breakfast etc and we all have status, but nobody does that.

Hotels, they generally want us to keep <$200/night, but I like to book close to site, so in cities it’s mostly marriotts/sheratons and everywhere else is residence inn/Fairfield inn and those are fine.

I would prefer Hertz (because I accrue more miles that way), but National is preferred, so I have to go with that.

Water Resistant
Jul 10, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

It's pretty flexible. Hotel is whatever is at the conference center or near the customer. Meals under 25 I don't have to expense, and never had issues with anything over (though I've never gone crazy (greater than $75) with that. And just Lyft for all car travel as I'm almost always on a single site all day.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
I bring a suitcase full of

https://imgur.com/tTswW67

antiga
Jan 16, 2013

Business for 6+ hours, but sometimes not approved if the client has stingy policies. "Reasonableness" applies

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tab8715 posted:

Stay with the client. So usually ridiculous hotels but I have stayed in basically a South American squat where the sink fell out of the counter.

When I choose it’s usually top or second tier of whatever Hyatt property. Or SPG. But Hyatt is lifetime globalist so the perks are nice.

So yeah it all depends.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Tab8715 posted:

I treat it like it’s my own money. I try to think of the ROI as well as the cost.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Mandalay posted:

I treat it like it’s my own money. I try to think of the ROI as well as the cost.

Sucker.

(unless this is your own firm)

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

What You Need to Know About the Strike Against Marriott Hotels https://nyti.ms/2CSw0RL
(Detroit, Boston, San Jose, SF, Oakland, San Diego, Hawaii)

A bunch of hotels in Chicago have also been on strike (including a couple Marriotts) bc they were laying people off in the winter/rehiring in spring so no yr round healthcare and some other stuff. It’s winding down since a bunch of hotels have come to an agreement.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

taco show posted:

What You Need to Know About the Strike Against Marriott Hotels https://nyti.ms/2CSw0RL
(Detroit, Boston, San Jose, SF, Oakland, San Diego, Hawaii)

A bunch of hotels in Chicago have also been on strike (including a couple Marriotts) bc they were laying people off in the winter/rehiring in spring so no yr round healthcare and some other stuff. It’s winding down since a bunch of hotels have come to an agreement.

Ha, so when the summer and holiday travel season ends they just kick everyone out!

I suppose that makes sense from a business perspective but completely unrealistic otherwise. I wonder how Marriott was the only chain to decide upon such a harsh decision.

It’d probably make more sense to have temporary works on contract with a smaller core of full-timers.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tab8715 posted:

Ha, so when the summer and holiday travel season ends they just kick everyone out!

I suppose that makes sense from a business perspective but completely unrealistic otherwise. I wonder how Marriott was the only chain to decide upon such a harsh decision.

It’d probably make more sense to have temporary works on contract with a smaller core of full-timers.

A lot of hotel chains are actually franchises that are independently owned (in some cases you can have employees of a Hilton property also working at a Hyatt property as a part of the same company). Marriott is one of the few that has a ton of corporate locations.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 1, 2018

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

psydude posted:

A lot of hotel chains are actually franchises that are independently owned (in some cases you can have employees of a Hilton property also working at a Hyatt property as a part of the same company). Marriott is one of the few that has a ton of corporate locations.

Yup, and much of SPG was franchised so it's back to being the wild west.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Virgin engineer: "We have limited space on these seats for connections. Should we put a power plug on them?"

Virgin exec: "Nobody wants that. How about an Ethernet port?" :downs:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 3, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

It's PoE. What, you don't have an RJ-45 to USB-C dongle?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

KillHour posted:

Virgin engineer: "We have limited space on these seats for connections. Should we put a power plug on them?"

Virgin exec: "Nobody wants that. How about an Ethernet port?" :downs:

Business vs economy Quake 2 fragfest.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

Midjack posted:

Business vs economy Quake 2 fragfest.

The only LAN party in the air! *plane is filled with “that” guy who constantly farts on the plane*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Vomik posted:

The only LAN party in the air! *plane is filled with “that” guy who constantly farts on the plane*

The cabin pressure really fucks with my guts, okay?