Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Not sure on the level of your party, but you could throw a Roc at them!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
If I can ask, why doesn't naked Barbarian work? Is it due to severely increasing the barbarian's existing MAD problems?

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

IME, naked barbarian works fine, if the barbarian's race is "bear"

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

The Bee posted:

If I can ask, why doesn't naked Barbarian work? Is it due to severely increasing the barbarian's existing MAD problems?

Barbarians have Unarmored Defense that is CON + DEX + 10. However, being a melee fighter that usually relies on Greataxe/Greatsword + Great Weaponmaster, their initial 15 (16 with racial) is definitely going into Strength. Following that, their second highest goes into Con. Third highest usually goes into Dex, for the initiative bonus and AC. This usually means their unarmored defense comes out to 2 + 2 + 10 = 14.

The thing is, they have medium armor proficiency. So they could slap on Half Plate for 15 + Dex for 17 AC nearly immediately, or Breastplate if they give a poo poo about Stealth checks for 14 + Dex at 16 AC.

Unarmored Defense is an inherent downgrade unless you have an exceptional situation, like rolling for stats or some specific magic items.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Body of a snake, head thats just an entire chicken.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

The Bee posted:

Barbarian doesn't inherently have a MAD problem; their stat array is uncomplicated.

16~17 STR, 14 DEX, 16 CON, or 14~15 CON in an awkward bonused race, with leftovers on WIS.

Variant Human does 16 14 16 8 10 8 just fine. Half-Orcs will do 16 14 16 8 12 8, and most other STR bonus races can pull off something similar. INT and CHA are weak saves, so they don't really need anything in them.

On the other hand, trying to do Naked Barbarian means 16+16 or 14+18 DEX+CON just to match non-magical Breastplate. Just to match it. The only race that can pull this off without sacrificing their offense progression is Mountain Dwarf, and still means either delaying GWM or waiting until level 8 for it. And as I said, all it does is match the AC of non-magical Breastplate, with no other tangible benefits.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Oct 31, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Razorwired posted:

Has anyone ever tried running magic as something you had to go out and learn in 5e?

Like just for fun what if the races were tied to different magic schools? A Wizard would need to have at least studied with a Dwarf to learn Abjuration or a Half-Orc for Evocation.

Looking for fluff ideas that require my players to engage with magic as part of the setting in ways more meaningful than "I stabbed 3 dungeons worth of goblins and bandits, took a nap, and know how to Fireball."

You could go with the before 3e way. Wizards don't learn spells on level up except for their initial selection. You have to find, or buy Spellscrolls and Spellbooks to learn spells.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Malpais Legate posted:

Barbarians have Unarmored Defense that is CON + DEX + 10.
[snip]
The thing is, they have medium armor proficiency. So they could slap on Half Plate for 15 + Dex for 17 AC nearly immediately, or Breastplate if they give a poo poo about Stealth checks for 14 + Dex at 16 AC.

Ask me about how much I love the starting equipment packs, where Barbarians do not get the option to have armor. :rolleyes:

Conspiratiorist posted:

T2 is the special case where they have a tertiary stat that is an even better investment than CON, and usually than most feats.

Then comes Monk, which is like T2 but weaker and harder to shore up effectiveness with items, so the stats matter even more.

How does monk fit that description when they have 1 stat (DEX) which does everything, for them? Like, they can't get by on 17 AC, for some reason?

P.d0t fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Oct 31, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

P.d0t posted:

How does monk fit that description when they have 1 stat (DEX) which does everything, for them? Like, they can't get by on 17 AC, for some reason?

17 is terrible AC for a melee d8 class, and their most powerful feature - Stunning Strike - keys off WIS.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Malpais Legate posted:

Barbarians have Unarmored Defense that is CON + DEX + 10. However, being a melee fighter that usually relies on Greataxe/Greatsword + Great Weaponmaster, their initial 15 (16 with racial) is definitely going into Strength. Following that, their second highest goes into Con. Third highest usually goes into Dex, for the initiative bonus and AC. This usually means their unarmored defense comes out to 2 + 2 + 10 = 14.

Unarmored Defense is an inherent downgrade unless you have an exceptional situation, like rolling for stats or some specific magic items.
I suppose it's nice for endcap campaigns? Level 20 barbarian gets +4/+4 STR/CON, that specifically is allowed to bump them to a max of 24. Which I suppose opens up leeway for funhaver builds.

What gets me though is when a friend of mine compares Barbarian Shirtless O'clock to be "As bad as Monk's multi stat needs."

"Oh man, it's so terrible that I'm wasting stats if I want to skip armor! And using my shield is for cowards! You get me, right Monk?"
"Can I be allowed to use a shield with my class if you're not gonna use it then?"
"Oh Monk, such a kidder."

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
A barbarian's best defense is a giant greataxe and the will to use it. Dead foes do less damage.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Best item I ever got on a barb that played through HODQ/ROT was sweet, sweet adamantine armor. Suddenly he can't be crit any more and they really invite it with reckless attacks.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Monk VS Barbarian Unarmored Defense is really just a matter of monks not getting armor as an alternative, and the stats it scales off of are the ones they want to spend ASIs on anyway.

If Barbarians had Str + Con for theirs, it would be doable and you'd be able to live out the naked Conan fantasy.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

ritorix posted:

Best item I ever got on a barb that played through HODQ/ROT was sweet, sweet adamantine armor. Suddenly he can't be crit any more and they really invite it with reckless attacks.

I've the unfortunate setup of being always critted, thanks to... well, always critting. You would think that would feel awesome all the time, but Reckless Attack basically doesn't exist for me anymore.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Malpais Legate posted:

Monk VS Barbarian Unarmored Defense is really just a matter of monks not getting armor as an alternative, and the stats it scales off of are the ones they want to spend ASIs on anyway.

If Barbarians had Str + Con for theirs, it would be doable and you'd be able to live out the naked Conan fantasy.

Yeah if Barbarian unarmored AC was Str+Con it would work, perhaps losing the ability to add a Shield because most Barbarians probably aren't using a Shield anyway and with that level 20 feature they can get better AC than a Monk anyway. If their AC was Str+Con.

EDIT: Also did I miss it or was there no Unearthed Arcana for this month at all?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Conspiratiorist posted:

17 is terrible AC for a melee d8 class, and their most powerful feature - Stunning Strike - keys off WIS.

Except like 17 AC is light armor with max DEX, or the best medium armor loadouts -- this isn't an uncommon AC number. Particularly since a lot of builds/classes that could get higher than that by using a shield just... won't.

So, I'm not really buying the whole "but muh d8 HPs" because it's not that far off of anyone else who's in the same boat. I'd even take it one further and say that Monks can probably start investing in WIS sooner, since the fact that they're so limited by equipment means there's fewer feats they can actually use. Not to mention, if we're gonna throw "set stat to [number] items" in play, because those exist for CON, if it's really such a problem for Monks.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

P.d0t posted:

Except like 17 AC is light armor with max DEX, or the best medium armor loadouts -- this isn't an uncommon AC number. Particularly since a lot of builds/classes that could get higher than that by using a shield just... won't.

So, I'm not really buying the whole "but muh d8 HPs" because it's not that far off of anyone else who's in the same boat. I'd even take it one further and say that Monks can probably start investing in WIS sooner, since the fact that they're so limited by equipment means there's fewer feats they can actually use. Not to mention, if we're gonna throw "set stat to [number] items" in play, because those exist for CON, if it's really such a problem for Monks.

No, really, which melee classes have 17 AC?

Barbarians who Rage and have d12 HP and 16 CON. Trap build TWF Rangers who nevertheless have d10 HP and 16 CON. Splint Mail 2h Fighters that didn't take Defense, who nevertheless likewise have d10 HP and 16 CON, and also Second Wind.

The only comparable situation to Monk is melee Rogue, but those guys get in their kits built-in resourceless Bonus Action Disengage and Hide, and Uncanny Dodge reaction, all without compromising their damage output the way using Ki Bonus Action abilities does.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

It could be just what we've fought, but using Patient Defense actually seems rather powerful depending on the situation. More often than not, my Monk doesn't really get beat up too much. And if I'm in a situation where I'd really rather not get hit, I can make one of my two attacks an unarmed strike to add +2 to my AC as a Kensei.

I'm level 7 right now, and have 16 AC baseline. Might have an opportunity to grab something to boost myself a little higher, either Bracers of Defense or possibly another addition to my longsword. Either way my AC has not really been a big issue so far, and if it does my DM is a reasonable sort that takes suggestions well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Conspiratiorist posted:

The only comparable situation to Monk is melee Rogue, but those guys get in their kits built-in resourceless Bonus Action Disengage and Hide, and Uncanny Dodge reaction, all without compromising their damage output the way using Ki Bonus Action abilities does.
With the exception of elemental and shadow monk the subclasses all have 3rd level abilities that grant bonus AC, HP recovery, disengage mechanics, or ranged abilities.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Naked Barbarians can also be based on Dexterity.

Beorn the North paw
I'm currently playing a Stout Halfling barbarian of bear totem with a Rapier and shield.
Started with Dex/Con 16 and Str 13, with Dex +2 for first 2 times and then planning for Con +4 after that.
Sure you lose the Rage-damage bonus for it and Reckless attack is bit more situational.
He's more of a defensive build than 2h-STR barbarian.

He's a small badass from Vaasa with a skin of his slain bear god ('s right arm) as his cloak.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
My houserule for Unarmored Defense would be (thanks p.d0t!):

AC = 12 + (half of proficiency bonus, rounded up) + (either Dex or Con modifier)

That would make it just slightly better than Medium Armor if you were maxing-out Dex or Con, but it wouldn't be, because you wouldn't be.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

adhuin posted:

Beorn the North paw
I'm currently playing a Stout Halfling barbarian of bear totem with a Rapier and shield.
Started with Dex/Con 16 and Str 13, with Dex +2 for first 2 times and then planning for Con +4 after that.
Sure you lose the Rage-damage bonus for it and Reckless attack is bit more situational.

He's a small badass from Vaasa with a skin of his slain bear god ('s right arm) as his cloak.

I've done that too, and its been hella fun pairing an absurd AC with damage reduction on all weapons and the barbarian's more defensive totem options. Ancestral Guardians is already a good 4E style defender, so pairing it with this build can put opponents in a pretty nasty spot.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Splicer posted:

With the exception of elemental and shadow monk the subclasses all have 3rd level abilities that grant bonus AC, HP recovery, disengage mechanics, or ranged abilities.

Kensei gives an AC bonus, but it's conditional on reduced DPR.
Drunken Master and Open Hand have a built in Disengage, but it's conditional on spending Ki, and in OH's case, successfully hitting the relevant enemies with FoB.
Wholeness of Body is inferior to the other martial healing abilities: Second Wind, Lay on Hands, and Healing Spirit.
Touch of Death is okay. Hope you get the kills.

Ranged Monk is not even worth talking about; play a Rogue instead.

adhuin posted:

Beorn the North paw

Reckless Attack doesn't work at all if you're using DEX on the attack/damage roll, so it's not really situational: you just never use it. +5/+5 beats +1/+4 with advantage.

The DEX Barbarian reserves his weapon strikes. He clings excessively to the notion of personal safety. His DPR is shallow. His presence is ignorable and his contribution to the party is dubious. He has a shallow and wandering gaze, his tongue is sluggish and pale. He refuses to make use of the class abilities that give Barbarians any measure of Competence.

If you wanted to be merely a tough not to crack, Fighters, Paladins, and even Rangers can all do it whilst delivering more damage and enjoying the benefit of numerous other class abilities that give them a bigger presence in-and-out of the battlefield. Mechanically, a DEX Barbarian is like a shittier Monk.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Conspiratiorist posted:

The DEX Barbarian reserves his weapon strikes. He clings excessively to the notion of personal safety. His DPR is shallow. His presence is ignorable and his contribution to the party is dubious. He has a shallow and wandering gaze, his tongue is sluggish and pale. He refuses to make use of the class abilities that give Barbarians any measure of Competence.

If you wanted to be merely a tough not to crack, Fighters, Paladins, and even Rangers can all do it whilst delivering more damage and enjoying the benefit of numerous other class abilities that give them a bigger presence in-and-out of the battlefield. Mechanically, a DEX Barbarian is like a shittier Monk.

the strength monk, on the other hand...

take three levels of barb to get bear totem since you're gonna get hit all the time, dump the rest into monk, pump iron and ignore dex, be nude all the time, scream ultimate warrior lines every time you spend ki

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
also be a tortle for maximum fuckyouedness

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
DIG YOUR CLAWS INTO MY ORGANS! STRETCH INTO MY TENDONS! BURY YOUR ANCHORS INTO MY BONES FOR THE POWER OF THE ULTIMATE TORTLE WILL ALWAYS PREVAIL!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mormonpartyboat posted:

DIG YOUR CLAWS INTO MY ORGANS! STRETCH INTO MY TENDONS! BURY YOUR ANCHORS INTO MY BONES FOR THE POWER OF THE ULTIMATE TORTLE WILL ALWAYS PREVAIL!

This should be in the OP.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Toshimo posted:

This should be in the OP.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So here's one for you. Apparently if you have a carpet of flying you can graze whoever you want and not get opportunity attacked?

You tell the carpet where to go, but you're not using your action, move, or reaction to do so, so you don't provoke. The carpet moves, but it's not a creature, so it doesn't provoke either.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Are two 1cr monsters a “fair” fight for a lvl 2 party? Or is that not how CRs work?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

DJ Dizzy posted:

Are two 1cr monsters a “fair” fight for a lvl 2 party? Or is that not how CRs work?

We just got 2 CR 1 imps against our 3 level 1 PCs

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Suits of animated armor seem really tough for their CR

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
challenge ratings are pretty hosed across the board

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

DJ Dizzy posted:

That is not how CRs work. Although to be fair, the 5e encounter/CR guidelines are so bad that it's debatable if they work at all.

According to the DMG, here is how it works:
1. A CR 1 creature is worth 200 xp. Two of them are, of course, 400 xp.
2. Then you multiply that number by 1.5. Why? Because the DMG says so on page 82. Anyway, that gets us 600.
3. How big is your party? Assuming for a moment that it's four characters, the table on page 82 gives us:
Easy encounter: up to 200 xp.
Medium encounter: up to 400 xp.
Hard encounter: up to 600 xp.
Deadly encounter: up to 800 xp.

So this would be right on the edge between Hard and Deadly. Not impossible, but don't be surprised if it's a very taxing fight.

Of course, that was assuming the party consists of four people. And it also assumes that the CR rules are actually worth a drat. Which they aren't.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

DJ Dizzy posted:

Suits of animated armor seem really tough for their CR

Oh those are just tough. I want you to look up the centaur for a moment (page 38 of the MM).

Let's say your party meets a centaur and somehow a fight breaks out. They're level 2 and so is the centaur, so this sounds like it should be about on par. Right?

Now the centaur happens to go first or second in this example. He's got good Dex so that's entirely plausible. And then he decides to, I dunno, walk over to the Wizard and attack him. Again, plausible. Centaurs are quick and are typically not found in tiny cramped corridors. And you know you should never let a geek in a robe cast any spells on you.

The centaur can attack twice. With a +6 bonus to hit, hitting twice doesn't even require that much luck, as Wizards have poo poo AC. I'm going to ignore crits even.

How much health does a second level Wizard have? About... 6 (base) + 4 (2nd level) + 4 (twice Con) = 14. Ok, sure.

The centaur, if it does hit twice, deals on average, no crits 30 points of damage. This is enough to instantly kill the Wizard, all in one single action.

This tells you everything you need to know about CR.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

It would probably have to be a crit to kill them outright. The wizard would get dropped for sure, and maybe incur two death saves unless you just have the centaur attack someone else. Definitely not something to throw at your party without thinking, but once its turn is over it's hosed.

Not trying to argue that CR is fucky though. The table game I play my paladin at more often than not had to deal with an airship that had 7 Champions, and three Swashbucklers in it. But to be fair we snuck in, knocked one Swashbuckler the hell out. Got into an engagement with the other two... BRIBED them onto our side, and then once up top me and the fighter pulled our own swashbuckling shenanigans by shoving two of the Champions off the deck.

We won, though it was a bit tough.

Last Friday we encountered an Elder Oblex with the Eat Memories ability removed. Still a tough fight, especially when the red dragon it was halfway finished eating tried to burst free of it and started spewing fire randomly.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Nov 1, 2018

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Arthil posted:

It would probably have to be a crit to kill them outright.

Ok to be fair, it depends a bit on the order of operations the DM handles.

1. If the DM goes hooves first and pike second, the first attack on average takes the Wizard down to 3 hp. The second attack then does 20 damage on average, which instantly kills the Wizard.
2. If the DM goes pike first and hooves second, the pike instantly knocks out the Wizard. If the hooves then also trample on that poor son of a bitch, that's two failed death saves. The Wizard isn't quite dead yet, but depending on initiative order could instantly snuff it afterwards. Things get a bit devil-in-the-details in this scenario.
3. If the DM decides to just roll two d20 at once to resolve both attacks simultaneously and then declare what the totalled average damage is, the Wizard is instantly knocked down to 0 with 16 points of "spillover" damage, which instantly kills the Wizard.

So, yeah, no crit needed. The centaur really does have a damage output of 30, on average, no crits. The fact that this could instantly kill a 2nd level Wizard is just an illustration of how bonkers that is, it's not even the core point. Thirty damage is huge at 2nd level.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

hi

I'm thinking about running a 5e PbP game here on SA but I have a few questions before actually doing it

Currently how easy is the access of players (new or not) to resources for character creation for 5e stuff? By now I imagine there's a lot of splatbooks/alternate archetypes for classes, etc etc

I see that this Orc Pub 2.0 character generator has some stuff but it seems it's only the basic barebones content? I always want to allow as much as possible so my players can do whatever they want with character concepts but it would be kinda bad if they only have to rely on :filez: or something

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

Ok to be fair, it depends a bit on the order of operations the DM handles.

1. If the DM goes hooves first and pike second, the first attack on average takes the Wizard down to 3 hp. The second attack then does 20 damage on average, which instantly kills the Wizard.
2. If the DM goes pike first and hooves second, the pike instantly knocks out the Wizard. If the hooves then also trample on that poor son of a bitch, that's two failed death saves. The Wizard isn't quite dead yet, but depending on initiative order could instantly snuff it afterwards. Things get a bit devil-in-the-details in this scenario.
3. If the DM decides to just roll two d20 at once to resolve both attacks simultaneously and then declare what the totalled average damage is, the Wizard is instantly knocked down to 0 with 16 points of "spillover" damage, which instantly kills the Wizard.

So, yeah, no crit needed. The centaur really does have a damage output of 30, on average, no crits. The fact that this could instantly kill a 2nd level Wizard is just an illustration of how bonkers that is, it's not even the core point. Thirty damage is huge at 2nd level.

1. That isn't how the mechanic works. You can be at 1 HP and take almost twice your health in damage but you still simply go down. That 14 HP Wizard will only die outright if he manages to take 28 damage in a single hit.
2. This one is how it would work however.
3. The DM shouldn't be lumping all the damage in together, but giving out the damage per attack.

I mean I am relying on anydice for this, but even with the charge+pike attack they've got a less than 1% chance of getting 30 damage.

frajaq posted:

hi

I'm thinking about running a 5e PbP game here on SA but I have a few questions before actually doing it

Currently how easy is the access of players (new or not) to resources for character creation for 5e stuff? By now I imagine there's a lot of splatbooks/alternate archetypes for classes, etc etc

I see that this Orc Pub 2.0 character generator has some stuff but it seems it's only the basic barebones content? I always want to allow as much as possible so my players can do whatever they want with character concepts but it would be kinda bad if they only have to rely on :filez: or something

For online stuff it's basically a matter of Roll20, Fantasy Grounds, or DnDBeyond for having legit online sources for the rules. As you said, otherwise its :filez: whether a pdf or a wiki.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arthil posted:

1. That isn't how the mechanic works. You can be at 1 HP and take almost twice your health in damage but you still simply go down. That 14 HP Wizard will only die outright if he manages to take 28 damage in a single hit.
2. This one is how it would work however.
3. The DM shouldn't be lumping all the damage in together, but giving out the damage per attack.

I mean I am relying on anydice for this, but even with the charge+pike attack they've got a less than 1% chance of getting 30 damage.

Also I would assume going by Pike first, that the if he knocked the Wizard down, he would then target someone else rather then the downed Wizard.

Also if we are assuming the Wizard in the Middle, there is a good chance he does not even aim for the Wizard as his path is blocked.