Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

valve probably doesn't want to draw the line anywhere that would exclude all of wolfenstein, war thunder and hoi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the people most able to punish valve are the people who publish their games on steam, all it really would take is a viable alternative to spring up (lol) and a corresponding exodus of publishers (lomarf)

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
valve doesn't want to do anything other than passively rake in money

as usual, i pointed out steam becoming a dumping ground well before it became obvious to most people and now steam being a complete dumping ground is valve's corporate strategy

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

https://awsishow.com/

:pwn:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
one day jeffry bezos wakes up and realizes that HOLY CRAP theres a lot of money in games!!! and so he buys twitch and curse and a studio called "double helix" that made some middling licensed titles and starts an empire: amazon game studios.

double helix is full of a lot of engineers who prefer to be slow and methodical about their engine, make sure it's architected properly, does things acceptably, and so on. bezos slices in six levels of management above the studio, and they're still making their own games, and suddenly a request comes in from up high: "amazon NEEDS a game engine", and they ask twice spiral how long it would take and they say "hmmm, a competitor to unreal engine? we could probably do this in about 3 or 4 years", and then a plan is put in place: amazon will have a game engine and it will be great.

about a year later bezos asks where his games are and management gets worried, and they ask double helix where their games are and double helix says "in a few more years, like we said, here's the roadmap". management does NOT like that response. so on one fateful weekend, some executive goes and shops around. they ask Epic Games if they could buy an engine for Amazon to release and they say "wtf no", they ask Unity and they say "wtf no", they ask various other companies, and eventually they ask Crytek, a company that was in bankruptcy at this time and was happy to take literally any money ever and they're like "HELL YEAH"

now i'm not sure if you know much about cryengine but it's very much the antithesis of "carefully planned". it's very much ship-it code and like a lot of engines that have shipped games, there's game-specific hacks, there's large parts of code that were rewritten into a giant do-everything loop for performance reasons. it's german engineering and it's crazy but drat hell it works.

so some amazon executive buys this engine and on monday, double helix employees show up to hear that that engine they've been building for the past year is now obsolete and replaced by cryengine. and this was supposed to make lumberyard come out faster.

so double helix now is trying to jam these two codebases together. and almost 5 years after amazon bought double helix, the engine is almost ready for production.

almost every single person i know of at amazon games has left by now. except two. they're on a game team and they're the only amazon game to possibly ship and they're winning by basically using lumberyard as little as possible.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
thats the simple story

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Far Cry 1 was awesome

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

El_Elegante posted:

Far Cry 1 was awesome

mlyp

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
also reminder that 2008's "can it run crysis" is equivalent to today's "can it run slack"

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

valve probably doesn't want to draw the line anywhere that would exclude all of wolfenstein, war thunder and hoi

wolf ii is very specifically not legal in germany for some reason so i'd say the ball isn't entirely in valve's court

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
it’s actually pronounced wolfen-SCHTEEN

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I thought that was a fanfic at first

mystes
May 31, 2006

El_Elegante posted:

it’s actually pronounced wolfen-SCHTEEN
Unfortunately we're in the timeline where the berenstain bears weren't Jewish and the Nazis won ww2.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Suspicious Dish posted:

make sure it's architected properly,

lol

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Suspicious Dish posted:

make sure it's architected properly
*sucks air in through teeth*

a great story, otherwise. wonder if I can hunt anyone down for tales at re:invent

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
engineers frequently find themselves architecting engines

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
get it straight, engineers draft the architecture of the engine

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

syscall girl posted:

wolf ii is very specifically not legal in germany for some reason so i'd say the ball isn't entirely in valve's court
nazi iconography is specifically illegal in germany outside of art, science, research, and teaching, and wolfenstein obviously has tons of it. the initial german release of wolf ii had the swastikas changed to a different symbol, nazi salutes altered, and hitler's mustache removed. after release, the german video game rating agency changed their policy that games should be inspected case-by-case rather than a blanket ban on such iconography. wolf ii has since been patched to give hitler his mustache.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
yeah, they loosened the thing up a bit recently, and also i dunno how wolf 2 is elsewhere, but in germany it has to be strictly 18+ because it has nazis in it, even if it'd be PG13 elsewhere I think.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
i still love how at one point europe was so terrified of ninjas corrupting kid that the tmnt had to be renamed to "Teenage mutant hero turtles" and have half their weapons censored out of the show

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
did Europe have some kind of yellow peril 2.0 like the US in the 1980s?

mystes
May 31, 2006

fishmech posted:

i still love how at one point europe was so terrified of ninjas corrupting kid that the tmnt had to be renamed to "Teenage mutant hero turtles" and have half their weapons censored out of the show
They should just require that all the ninjas be historically accurate ninjas who are just boring people who go around dressed as peasants spying on neighboring regions and probably don't even have weapons (maybe a hoe or something).

mystes fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 1, 2018

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

fishmech posted:

there is even a UK MAME rom for the first Turtles arcade game although I think it was just the title / theme that was changed, not the character weapons

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

El_Elegante posted:

did Europe have some kind of yellow peril 2.0 like the US in the 1980s?

basically it had to do with various European countries finding excuses to do things like ban Hong Kong action movies once they got around to applying their film censorship boards to home videos and stuff, alongside general attempts to restrict horror movies.

so ninja stuff was all in there as bad for the kids because its martial arts stuff vaguely, and so you can't show nunchucks in a kids show on tv there until the 90s

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Suspicious Dish posted:

one day jeffry bezos wakes up and realizes that HOLY CRAP theres a lot of money in games!!! and so he buys twitch and curse and a studio called "double helix" that made some middling licensed titles and starts an empire: amazon game studios.

double helix is full of a lot of engineers who prefer to be slow and methodical about their engine, make sure it's architected properly, does things acceptably, and so on. bezos slices in six levels of management above the studio, and they're still making their own games, and suddenly a request comes in from up high: "amazon NEEDS a game engine", and they ask twice spiral how long it would take and they say "hmmm, a competitor to unreal engine? we could probably do this in about 3 or 4 years", and then a plan is put in place: amazon will have a game engine and it will be great.

about a year later bezos asks where his games are and management gets worried, and they ask double helix where their games are and double helix says "in a few more years, like we said, here's the roadmap". management does NOT like that response. so on one fateful weekend, some executive goes and shops around. they ask Epic Games if they could buy an engine for Amazon to release and they say "wtf no", they ask Unity and they say "wtf no", they ask various other companies, and eventually they ask Crytek, a company that was in bankruptcy at this time and was happy to take literally any money ever and they're like "HELL YEAH"

now i'm not sure if you know much about cryengine but it's very much the antithesis of "carefully planned". it's very much ship-it code and like a lot of engines that have shipped games, there's game-specific hacks, there's large parts of code that were rewritten into a giant do-everything loop for performance reasons. it's german engineering and it's crazy but drat hell it works.

so some amazon executive buys this engine and on monday, double helix employees show up to hear that that engine they've been building for the past year is now obsolete and replaced by cryengine. and this was supposed to make lumberyard come out faster.

so double helix now is trying to jam these two codebases together. and almost 5 years after amazon bought double helix, the engine is almost ready for production.

almost every single person i know of at amazon games has left by now. except two. they're on a game team and they're the only amazon game to possibly ship and they're winning by basically using lumberyard as little as possible.

you did not lie

this is a hilarious origin story

and so very, very amazonian

mystes
May 31, 2006

Wait wasn't this announced as some sort of huge amazing cloud thing that was the future of gaming a couple years ago?

This is the thing that was supposed to be an awesome AAA engine that would be free if you hosted your game on amazon or something?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
they've changed the pricing model multiple times but for some incomprehensible reason Lumberyard is halfway under the AWS arm because I think jim beesuit heard "Games as a Service" and misunderstood the concept

mystes
May 31, 2006

To be fair weren't other companies like Sony trying to go for this cloud gaming angle where all the IP would stay in the cloud so piracy/cheating would be impossible? Whereas in reality there are game streaming services but the games are the same as on pc/console (at least so far).

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

mystes posted:

To be fair weren't other companies like Sony trying to go for this cloud gaming angle where all the IP would stay in the cloud so piracy/cheating would be impossible? Whereas in reality there are game streaming services but the games are the same as on pc/console (at least so far).

sony's cloud gaming thing was about their inability to keep backwards compatibility going giving their other choices

mystes
May 31, 2006

Oh well maybe I'm remembering incorrectly.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
Sony even has not one but TWO streaming services. One is cloud streaming (PlayStation Now), and the other is their clone of Steam Home Streaming (PS4 Remote Play).

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

eschaton posted:

get it straight, engineers draft the architecture of the engine

no ding dong. engineers drive the engines.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
like the "oh people can't cheat or pirate" thing is usualyl somewhere in all of the vidoe game streaming providers stuff

but sony bought out Gaikai pretty much specifically to handle still being able to sell ps2 and ps3 stuff to ps4 users without having to pay for ports or developing emulation to use.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

President Beep posted:

no ding dong.
sorry about your anatomy, but dsyp

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
no dick so what

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Sony wasted a bunch of money trying to write a PS2 emulator for the PS3, they were forced to give up in the general case when they realized there was some aspect of the PS2 Graphics Synthesizer that actually outperformed the PS3 RSX and could never be emulated.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
everything outperformed the PS3 RSX

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

pseudorandom name posted:

Sony wasted a bunch of money trying to write a PS2 emulator for the PS3, they were forced to give up in the general case when they realized there was some aspect of the PS2 Graphics Synthesizer that actually outperformed the PS3 RSX and could never be emulated.

the early ps3s just included an entire ps2, didn't they?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

no, the PS3 emulated the PS2’s IOP (which is just the PSX CPU) in software

the plan was to write an emulator for the EE and GS except (iirc) the GS had more memory bandwidth than the RSX at some weird point in the pipeline and there was no way to emulate it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

no, the PS3 emulated the PS2’s IOP (which is just the PSX CPU) in software

the plan was to write an emulator for the EE and GS except (iirc) the GS had more memory bandwidth than the RSX at some weird point in the pipeline and there was no way to emulate it

launch ps3s in north america and japan included the hardware emotion engine and graphics synthesizer. most other parts of the world got emulated ps2 parts, as did all later models worldwide.