Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We're kinda late in the Star Trek timeline, the eugenics wars were 92-96, and WWIII is supposed to start 2022 ( could easily happen)

So who knows, maybe WW3 will start soon, most of us will die, and in about 40 years some drunk will invent faster than light travel and things will start improving after that.

Kind of sucks that we have to live through WW3 and our grandkids and great grandkids will get to go to the stars. Better destroy everything before they get a chance

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spankmeister posted:

We're kinda late in the Star Trek timeline, the eugenics wars were 92-96, and WWIII is supposed to start 2022 ( could easily happen)

So who knows, maybe WW3 will start soon, most of us will die, and in about 40 years some drunk will invent faster than light travel and things will start improving after that.

Kind of sucks that we have to live through WW3 and our grandkids and great grandkids will get to go to the stars. Better destroy everything before they get a chance

Idk we're pretty much right on track for this:

quote:

Sanctuary districts were created by the American government in response to serious social and economic problems that had resulted in an increased rate of poverty and social destitution during the early 21st century. By the early 2020s, every major city in the United States had a sanctuary district.

And WW3 is 2026 unless the wiki is wrong.

Then we're in for "Post Atomic Horror" until about 2150 should be good.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 22:47 on Oct 31, 2018

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
poo poo i need to rewatch the 'sisko & co get sent back to the early 21st century' episode

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.
i just finished watching all of ds9. my review:

it owns

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

poo poo i need to rewatch the 'sisko & co get sent back to the early 21st century' episode

quote:

Sometime prior to 2024, the Federal Employment Act of 1946 was repealed, which had stated, at least in theory, that the United States government bore the responsibility for ensuring economic stability in the country. Symbolically, this meant that society had washed its hands of responsibility for combating the endemic poverty resulting from a global economic depression.

Sanctuary districts were originally established as places of sanctuary for those without jobs or homes. People with a criminal record were not allowed. In the beginning many people entered the districts voluntarily because of the promise that the administration would help them get jobs so they can find a way out of their destitution. Despite the benevolent intent, however, conditions inside the camps quickly degenerated to the point where by 2024 overcrowding was a pervasive problem throughout the Districts. More people were taken to Sanctuaries than buildings could accommodate, so many of them were sleeping on the streets, often on sidewalks or in tents or cardboard boxes. The government had also begun to forcefully locate people there, including people with mental health problems, or "dims", who could not afford health care services as well as the financially destitute. Laws prohibiting sleeping on the streets were further used to justify the forceful relocation of residents to the Sanctuaries.

Internment in the Sanctuaries amounted to nothing less than imprisonment, as Sanctuary inhabitants were legally forbidden to leave "for their own protection". Sanctuaries also did not provide any meaningful job placement services so that people could find a way out. By 2024, with a bad economy and employment levels at record lows with no end in sight, residents rarely, if ever, obtained the employment opportunities they needed to leave the Sanctuaries, de facto guaranteeing that the "residents" of the Sanctuary Districts remained life-long inhabitants, detained without due process. These inhabitants were often derogatorily referred to as "gimmies" – as in "give me food, shelter, a job, etc." – even by Sanctuary case workers and employees.

someone touched a orb Bajoran relic before writing this episode

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
lol and 'gibmedat' is modern day racial slur for poor black people so ds9 was pretty prescient

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Marijuana posted:

i told my dad at lunch on monday that i think we've lived through the golden age of a society which is rapidly declining, it's lucky that he's gonna be dead before poo poo gets really bad, and that i don't have hope for a good future anymore.

he agreed with me and thinks i'm right lol

I had this discussion with my dad only he started getting super upset because my sister has children and the thought that they're going to come into adulthood in some sort of dystopian hellscape scares the poo poo out of him. He wants me to have hope for their sake.

We dropped the subject and don't talk about the future anymore.

Which is good because my nephew's are soft as gently caress and they're definitely going to die early on in the first climate changed war that's bad enough that the Canadian government instates mandatory enlistment.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

EvilJoven posted:

Which is good because my nephew's are soft as gently caress and they're definitely going to die early on in the first climate changed war that's bad enough that the Canadian government instates mandatory enlistment.

Start training them now. Don't let the Americans annex the Great Lakes coastal region!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Haha those lakes are hosed the second California agriculture starts shutting down. I'm surprised they haven't started digging the canal already.

I would try to toughen those kids up a bit if I lived anywhere near them.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
I have a quick request: I think it was this thread where someone posted a facemask that muffles the screams of office workers. anyone have that image?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shame Boy posted:

There was a story on the radio the other day about a few studies finding kids are not developing fine motor skills like, at all, because they don't handle pencils or color or do crafts anywhere near as much as they used to. It was in the context of "all these people are coming to med school to be surgeons and they can't do delicate poo poo with their hands" so look forward to that the next time you need major surgery

Medical schools used to have mandatory classes to help surgeons develop their fine motor skills.

Then women started to be allowed in to the profession.

Women, it turns out, already had satisfactory fine motor control. Men didn’t want to be embarrassed, so the classes were quietly discontinued.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Spotted this in my local liquor store flyer

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

EvilJoven posted:

Haha those lakes are hosed the second California agriculture starts shutting down. I'm surprised they haven't started digging the canal already.

I would try to toughen those kids up a bit if I lived anywhere near them.

It's certainly possible, but in order to do so they'll have to get around the Great Lakes Compact; and well, not too many people in the Great Lakes states want to allow California to drain them.

California probably will be ok though overall because they have very generous water rights. They also have a giant ocean next to them and conceivably they can go all out on desalination projects to get plenty of fresh water. It is basically every other state in the southwest that will be hosed.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Medical schools used to have mandatory classes to help surgeons develop their fine motor skills.

Women, it turns out, already had satisfactory fine motor control. Men didn’t want to be embarrassed, so the classes were quietly discontinued.

"....and then everyone stood up and clapped."

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I said “quietly”.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
We've basically got the possibility for unlimited fresh water through desalination if we just have lots of unfucked energy right? Pretty much all of our problems could be mitigated with a huge output of clean energy? We can crack water for hydrogen as a storage method. Come on fusion, baby we need you.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

starkebn posted:

We've basically got the possibility for unlimited fresh water through desalination if we just have lots of unfucked energy right? Pretty much all of our problems could be mitigated with a huge output of clean energy? We can crack water for hydrogen as a storage method. Come on fusion, baby we need you.

When it comes down to it, the majority of the cost of anything is the cost of the energy in producing/transforming it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Platystemon posted:

Well of course a woman can sew something up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

starkebn posted:

:hydrogen:

probably sane fission policies would work

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

starkebn posted:

I wonder how the world would change if we could get solar panels with around 30% efficiency (they're around 16% right now)?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

spacetoaster posted:

I wonder how the world would change if we could get solar panels with around 30% efficiency (they're around 16% right now)?

research poo poo is at 48%

wait 15 years, they'll get there

(or they'll go down the "cheap as gently caress" route they've been previously going over

it's lovely moore's law)

campaign of extermination almost over for coal poo poo. replaced by natgas mostly, tho, although the campaign of extermination midway for natgas

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

bob dobbs is dead posted:

research poo poo is at 48%

wait 15 years, they'll get there

(or they'll go down the "cheap as gently caress" route they've been previously going over

it's lovely moore's law)

campaign of extermination almost over for coal poo poo. replaced by natgas mostly, tho, although the campaign of extermination midway for natgas

hahahahaha 15 years.

We'll be deep in resource wars and mass migration then.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tashilicious posted:

hahahahaha 15 years.

Idiots have said that every decade.

"But this time, it's true!" - Al Gore

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

Idiots have said that every decade.

"But this time, it's true!" - Al Gore

We have hard evidence that even if we immediately entirely reverse the entire system the world over, we are already in the over 2 degree C global warming range.
People have been saying that for decades because it is true. It will be gradual until that sudden breaking point where it is not gradual anymore and it becomes a failure cascade.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“I’m not owned! I’m not owned!” I say as I slowly sink into an acidifying sea.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Tashilicious posted:

We have hard evidence that even if we immediately entirely reverse the entire system the world over, we are already in the over 2 degree C global warming range.
People have been saying that for decades because it is true. It will be gradual until that sudden breaking point where it is not gradual anymore and it becomes a failure cascade.

Cool.

I still want some solar cells on my roof.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Shima Honnou posted:

If you want your kids to be ready for the future get them a sawn-off shotgun and a leather outfit.

Teach them Hokuto Shinken, or, if they are fuckups, Nanto Seiken.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
The latest cool climate news is that it turns out global warming is like twice as bad as we thought, currently, it's just that the oceans suck up the heat (which is killing the oceans even faster than expected also)

KiteAuraan posted:

Teach them Hokuto Shinken, or, if they are fuckups, Nanto Seiken.

This also works but also requires leather so get at it while there's still mammals.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/ikasperr/status/1057828640904294400

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Shima Honnou posted:

The latest cool climate news is that it turns out global warming is like twice as bad as we thought, currently, it's just that the oceans suck up the heat (which is killing the oceans even faster than expected also)

This also works but also requires leather so get at it while there's still mammals.

how long till the clathrate guns start firing

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tashilicious posted:

hahahahaha 15 years.

we're already deep in resource wars and mass migration friendo

doesn't stop the research much

there's also no such thing as a failure which doesn't cascade, it's just that the cascades are small and short

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
We're past the point of no return already in my non-scientific opinion. Now any effort is just to mitigate how poo poo hosed it's going to get.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U9B244Z3go

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

we're already deep in resource wars and mass migration friendo

doesn't stop the research much

This is barely the start of it. The resources warring over right now is oil.
We're not even really started the water wars or food wars.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Tashilicious posted:

This is barely the start of it. The resources warring over right now is oil.
We're not even really started the water wars or food wars.

and there will be bits of earth still unaffected by the water wars, just like lots of the earth is still unaffected by the oil wars, and the researchers, being part of the comparatively-rich first world, will gently caress off over there and continue researching

at no point in the last 4000 years has society not been in a state of at least partial breakdown. if the romans poo poo themselves the arabs will keep the memory of socrates alive, you know?

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/HumansOfLate/status/1057625027858833409

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
rip venice, sorry rich people you'll now have to find another rich person disneyland

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

and there will be bits of earth still unaffected by the water wars, just like lots of the earth is still unaffected by the oil wars, and the researchers, being part of the comparatively-rich first world, will gently caress off over there and continue researching

at no point in the last 4000 years has society not been in a state of at least partial breakdown. if the romans poo poo themselves the arabs will keep the memory of socrates alive, you know?

Lol

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
intrinsic historical societal issues : a lot like catastrophic climate change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
it’s all going down the tubes. the only thing for it is to walk around with a clipboard asking people if they believe in anthropogenic ligma