Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Wait, holy loving poo poo. Skip the leprosy. He said smallpox. loving SMALLPOX. Small "eradicated in 1977" pox for gently caress's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
wait holy poo poo

their irrational fears are irrational and easily dismissed with any amount of critical thought?

wow lmao

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Dead Beef posted:

wait holy poo poo

their irrational fears are irrational and easily dismissed with any amount of critical thought?

wow lmao

There's a difference between being totally unfounded and actively contradicted by even a modicum of knowledge, yeah.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Hi PJ. I sent you the actual coupon for the code instead of the confirmation code. I'm a dummy who learns from my mistakes. Enjoy your platinum.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Ice Phisherman posted:

Hi PJ. I sent you the actual coupon for the code instead of the confirmation code. I'm a dummy who learns from my mistakes. Enjoy your platinum.

Thank you again so much<3

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
broke: medicare for all

woke: deportation for all

https://twitter.com/newisra/status/1057294109013106688

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

xthetenth posted:

Wait, holy loving poo poo. Skip the leprosy. He said smallpox. loving SMALLPOX. Small "eradicated in 1977" pox for gently caress's sake.

Yeah, see they've kept samples in labs and stuff. And now they have infected the migrants with small pox to sneak it into america. Once smallpox is loose in the USA the government will declare a state of emergency and force everyone to get the so-called vaccine. That's how they get you.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, see they've kept samples in labs and stuff. And now they have infected the migrants with small pox to sneak it into america. Once smallpox is loose in the USA the government will declare a state of emergency and force everyone to get the so-called vaccine. That's how they get you.

Hrm. I hope you're not underestimating the problem. The others may not go as quietly as you think. Intelligence indicates they're behind the problems in Paris.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

Hrm. I hope you're not underestimating the problem. The others may not go as quietly as you think. Intelligence indicates they're behind the problems in Paris.

I have wondered if from time to time if some kind of agency out there has a detailed report of this thread and its discussions over the past 3,5 years. If such a report exists, I hope that I can freedom-of-information it a few decades from now. It"d be a hell of a read.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

We've had to endure much, you and I, but within the week there will be old men running the world!

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Prester Jane posted:

I have wondered if from time to time if some kind of agency out there has a detailed report of this thread and its discussions over the past 3,5 years. If such a report exists, I hope that I can freedom-of-information it a few decades from now. It"d be a hell of a read.

No one in either of your threads has threatened the life of an elected official so probably not imo. Also the post you're responding to is a Deus Ex quote.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit
So I'm quoting something I wrote in the Trump Thread about an experience I had in real life with people spouting the NPC meme:

Prester Jane posted:

It's worse than that. The whole NPC thing is a very 21st century form of dehumanization- people are starting to literally believe that leftists do not have souls. I overheard a Trio of early 20-something chuds talking about it in a restaurant yesterday. Apparently (according to these fine gentlemen) there aren't enough souls to handle the population of the earth tripling in the past hundred years and as a result the simulation is just spawning empty drones that run on autopilot. These "NPC's" are just running a set script and repeat themselves over and over and are completely incapable of deviating from their programmed thinking.

Like this was being very seriously discussed amongst these three gentlemen, and they felt no particular compunction about who might be over hearing because they (mostly correctly) assumed that no one around understood what they were discussing.

Because everyone else in the restaurant was probably an NPC and wouldn't notice, you see.

Something I didn't mention in the Trump threat is that this behavior reminded me very strongly of poo poo we used to do all the time in Otherkin groups. *Otherkin being the late 90's through mid 2000's group identify of choice for that generation of ultra-alienated white youth)

We had our own sophisticated terminology- we knew it sounded like gobbledygook to outsiders and so it was kind of self-righteous rush to discuss in gobbeldygook-encoded terms how superior we were to everyone else - because of the destiny of ours mixed souls in determining the out one of the great war blah blah blah blah blah.

Anyways, this definitely had that distinctly familiar ring to it,
; overhearing these gentlemen's conversation and understanding it enough 4Chan language to follow along with what they were saying. It was a trip that a very particularly fuckung kooky memory lane - one that I'd that I'd never really expected to see repeated on a national scale.

But, Well..............hell timeline being what it is and and all that.

I officially apologize to the world for it turning out that my schizophrenia secretly does control world events. Jokes on y'all. Ha!*

*I'm kidding of course. But what else other coping mechanism do I got in this situation than having a good laugh about it? It's the only coping mechanism I've got so I'm rolling with it. Admit it. It's at least kind of snicker worthy.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

10 print "MAGA"
20 goto 10

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Prester Jane posted:

So I'm quoting something I wrote in the Trump Thread about an experience I had in real life with people spouting the NPC meme:

Something I didn't mention in the Trump threat is that this behavior reminded me very strongly of poo poo we used to do all the time in Otherkin groups. *Otherkin being the late 90's through mid 2000's group identify of choice for that generation of ultra-alienated white youth)

We had our own sophisticated terminology- we knew it sounded like gobbledygook to outsiders and so it was kind of self-righteous rush to discuss in gobbeldygook-encoded terms how superior we were to everyone else - because of the destiny of ours mixed souls in determining the out one of the great war blah blah blah blah blah.

Anyways, this definitely had that distinctly familiar ring to it,
; overhearing these gentlemen's conversation and understanding it enough 4Chan language to follow along with what they were saying. It was a trip that a very particularly fuckung kooky memory lane - one that I'd that I'd never really expected to see repeated on a national scale.

But, Well..............hell timeline being what it is and and all that.

I officially apologize to the world for it turning out that my schizophrenia secretly does control world events. Jokes on y'all. Ha!*

*I'm kidding of course. But what else other coping mechanism do I got in this situation than having a good laugh about it? It's the only coping mechanism I've got so I'm rolling with it. Admit it. It's at least kind of snicker worthy.

I've been getting great mileage out of replying to chuds' NPC memes with:

[finds dehumanization technique, uses it according to the formula, marvels at own originality]

The irony of asserting unique humanity by following a script is actually easy to get people to notice.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

McGlockenshire posted:

This guy didn't just snap and send bombs. This was slow motion self-radicalization that resulted in a concrete plan of action that he followed through on.

https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1057461500087074816
https://twitter.com/bradheath/status/1057463490187800576

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Cadaver_Maclaine posted:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
When you take conspiracy theories and work backwards to make them seem more plausible, you end up with something frighteningly similar to geopolitics.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

the hit rate on "conspiracy theories" is disturbingly high

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When you take conspiracy theories and work backwards to make them seem more plausible, you end up with something frighteningly similar to geopolitics.

Well, the world is full of conspiracies, they're just....really kinda boring and mundane, like "how do I get more money?" Type stuff.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

every-day stuff like kidnapping random people off the street and performing mind control experiments on them, or building a massive panopticon to monitor all data traffic in the world

staticman
Sep 12, 2008

Be gay
Death to America
Suck my dick Israel
Mess with Texas
and remember to lmao
Narrativism in Russia's so loving savage it's driving people to SUICIDE BOMBING to fight back....

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/1057601012243030022

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

staticman posted:

Narrativism in Russia's so loving savage it's driving people to SUICIDE BOMBING to fight back....

https://twitter.com/libcomorg/status/1057601012243030022

Small aside. People tend to associate suicide bombing with religious fanatics, but the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka were an explicitly atheist separatist group. They used suicide bombing as a means of using terror to achieve their goals. They blew themselves up with no belief that there would be an afterlife.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

this strikes me as the kind of grand unifying theory that's so vague it can be applied to anything and people who don't know any better will eat it up. EVERYBODY believes in narratives to some degree. these categories are malleable enough you can stretch them wherever you need to make sense of the world. kinda like, you know, conspiracy theories.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

R. Dieovich posted:

this strikes me as the kind of grand unifying theory that's so vague it can be applied to anything and people who don't know any better will eat it up. EVERYBODY believes in narratives to some degree. these categories are malleable enough you can stretch them wherever you need to make sense of the world. kinda like, you know, conspiracy theories.

That's cool. You have repeatedly gone out of your way to harass me and were one of the motivations for moving this thread out of D&D. I don't know what your problem with me is- but it's never been about the actual content of my work. Please go away.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

no, i definitely think this theory is a dead end and moves people away from truly liberatory frames of thinking. but that has nothing to do with probations given for kale-style narcissism and we've discussed this ad nauseum over pms.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

R. Dieovich posted:

no, i definitely think this theory is a dead end and moves people away from truly liberatory frames of thinking. but that has nothing to do with probations given for kale-style narcissism and we've discussed this ad nauseum over pms.

I am asking you politely to please go away.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

R. Dieovich posted:

loving sucks that I can't report mods because you are an rear end in a top hat. Like, loving Christ, can't you find something better to be pissed off about?

I agree that a theory without actual real-world data to back it up is of limited use in the real-world. But this college Freshman philosophizing inspires lay people (like me) to listen and participate because I am not intimidated out of the conversation. This is useful. This is a starting point.

PJ is getting much more constructive feedback here than in D&D. It's pretty far from a hug box or just brainless head nodding. Let this thread live or die by its content.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

R. Dieovich posted:

You're pretty consistently a massive idiot and a terrible mod. Piss off with this third rate political analysis, you sound like a 19 year old who just read the communist manifesto for the first time.

A theory's value comes in explaining, predicting, and modifying it's topic. And I've seen her work do just that. It's pretty clear we don't want you here, stop harassing PJ.

Go make another thread, and blow us away with your brilliance. I'm sure your brilliant ~framework~ will blow us all away and bring about the revolution, just like every other douchebag leftist who can't get over his own farts.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

R. Dieovich posted:

In our eyes, individual terror is inadmissible precisely because it belittles the role of the masses in their own consciousness, reconciles them to their powerlessness, and turns their eyes and hopes towards a great avenger and liberator who some day will come and accomplish his mission. The anarchist prophets of the ‘propaganda of the deed’ can argue all they want about the elevating and stimulating influence of terrorist acts on the masses. Theoretical considerations and political experience prove otherwise. The more ‘effective’ the terrorist acts, the greater their impact, the more they reduce the interest of the masses in self-organisation and self-education. But the smoke from the confusion clears away, the panic disappears, the successor of the murdered minister makes his appearance, life again settles into the old rut, the wheel of capitalist exploitation turns as before; only the police repression grows more savage and brazen. And as a result, in place of the kindled hopes and artificially aroused excitement comes disillusionment and apathy.

-- Trotsky

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Ice Phisherman posted:

Small aside. People tend to associate suicide bombing with religious fanatics, but the Tamil Tigers in Sri Lanka were an explicitly atheist separatist group. They used suicide bombing as a means of using terror to achieve their goals. They blew themselves up with no belief that there would be an afterlife.

Before 9/11, suicide bombing didn't have a religious connotation much at all, iirc. It's a pretty effective tactic as long as you can get volunteers who know what they're doing.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Aleph Null posted:

loving sucks that I can't report mods because you are an rear end in a top hat. Like, loving Christ, can't you find something better to be pissed off about?

I agree that a theory without actual real-world data to back it up is of limited use in the real-world. But this college Freshman philosophizing inspires lay people (like me) to listen and participate because I am not intimidated out of the conversation. This is useful. This is a starting point.

PJ is getting much more constructive feedback here than in D&D. It's pretty far from a hug box or just brainless head nodding. Let this thread live or die by its content.

Work that is accessible and spurs people to think and speak is work worth exploring. Everyone starts somewhere and sparking that initial interest has its place along with high level theory.

R. Dieovich posted:

This is a decent framework for understanding why people think what they think and how their thinking and behavior changes over time. I fail to see how it moves people away from other modes of thinking.

I am a scholar of political science with practical experience in the field of politics in public polling and working on campaigns. I may not have been in some think tank, but I find her ideas useful and of merit. I have read probably close to a hundred books that deal with politics in one way or another and have listened to tens of thousands of hours of smart people speak about politics, sociology, history and human psychology as the field of political science is multi-disciplinary. I certainly know better than to be taken in by bush league nonsense in my own field.

The modern discipline of political science when I was learning it was largely devoid of practical ideas on how to deal with fascism or even recognize it as a threat. Most people thought fascism was all but dead in the West and that was that. I spoke to my old professors about what happened along with political operatives in the wake of the Trump era. All of them were stunned. Few had answers and what answers they had were largely worthless. People defeated fascism once and after the fall of the Soviet Union many literally thought that Western style neoliberal democracies were the end of history and that there would only be an ever present now. Many literally thought little would change and that were at some sort of end point in history. That previous order is dead and the bad old days are back. We are currently entering into a new era where old ideas about how to govern are coming back and one of them is indeed fascism. The last time that serious research was done into understanding fascism was when your grandfather was young. I'm sure that you could find and point to alternatives, but the reason that fascism caught everyone off guard is because people in my discipline largely thought that fascism was dead in the West. This was wrong. We were wrong. It wasn't a priority. Now it is.

PJ has practical experience with cults of personality and narcissists. She is not some prophet or blessed with divine insight. In fact she's often wrong when she strays outside of these subjects. What she has are practical ways of identifying and dealing with the rise of a narcissistic cult of personality because she lived through them. She did not learn from a book or from professors with lambskins like I did. She learned through abuse and has been kind enough to tell us what to expect. Not even all at once either, because telling us literally everything at once would have been too much. Even the small spoonfuls of what she has been slowplaying is too much for many. Then when it comes true she has more and people again deny that while struggling to accept what she talked about six months ago. She's lived through this before on a smaller scale and understands the beats of how this goes. Sometimes not in the best ways, but people keep naysaying and antagonizing her. Despite that, she comes back and when she speaks of her knowledge she tends to be right. So her theories now appear to be rough, and that's because they are, but that's what early theories look like.

When narcissists come to power bad things happen. Trump and Duterte are prime examples of this. However, Hitler was also a classic example of a clinical narcissist if you're familiar with his personality.

PJ is not a traditional scholar but her insight is worth listening to. Your insults are not. If you feel like her ideas are worth merit then you should debate them, not put her down. She literally moved to a different forum to be away from this nonsense. You followed her to further insult her, because I see nothing of a refutation of her ideas beyond them being vague along with insults.

Ice Phisherman has issued a correction as of 04:54 on Nov 1, 2018

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

R. Dieovich posted:

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

R. Dieovich posted:

probate me for telling some dillweed to google gilles dauve again u coward

I mean aside from modbaiting I still do not see how narrativism neccessarily detracts from anticapitalist thought especially as it is something that can be applied to all sorts of different phenomena

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Before 9/11, suicide bombing didn't have a religious connotation much at all, iirc. It's a pretty effective tactic as long as you can get volunteers who know what they're doing.

Modern suicide bombing I believe didn't become a big thing until the Lebanese Civil War during the early 1980s where it was utilized by Shi'ite Islamists so that strengthened the connection in general public conciousness although ofc it can be carried out by anyone for any motive

Pretty much the only reason I know this was remembering it being talked about by Adam Curtis in HyperNormalization but I did have to look it up to refresh myself

Catboy Autonomist has issued a correction as of 05:18 on Nov 1, 2018

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

R. Dieovich posted:

this strikes me as the kind of grand unifying theory that's so vague it can be applied to anything and people who don't know any better will eat it up.

feelin pretty attacked here dude

I've seen "compaction cycles" first hand for literally decades, they're so loving easy to happen on the internet

C-SPAM has had at least two self-driven compactions that I know of (probably more in the megathreads I don't read) and there will continue to be more in the future given the way things are going in the forum and in the world. this is a goddamn radicalization zone and it terrifies me a little to be caught up in it.

the reason PJ's poo poo sounds like a "vague grand unifying theory" is because it describes actual things that actually happen and have actually been studied and documented, but without identifying them as existing in reality and studied by science and given identified names. would you like me to drop a dozenish links to wikipedia articles that discuss the intertwining elements of the compaction cycle, alone without touching the Narrative stuff?

the only new thing here is the way PJ describes things, which is filtered through her worldview, which is the result of her, uh, unique experiences in life. I personally think there's value in the work, not just because of the content, but because of the origins. you don't have to, though. if you wanna be dismissive of this stuff, then fine, do that, but you don't need to poo poo up the thread to dismiss it

McGlockenshire has issued a correction as of 05:32 on Nov 1, 2018

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

so this thread was imported from d&d, huh?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

R. Dieovich's Dad: "ugh who the gently caress is this Pete Seeger guy, just making music for rubes, lol long live comrade stalin!!"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

McGlockenshire posted:

feelin pretty attacked here dude

I've seen "compaction cycles" first hand for literally decades, they're so loving easy to happen on the internet

C-SPAM has had at least two self-driven compactions that I know of (probably more in the megathreads I don't read) and there will continue to be more in the future given the way things are going in the forum and in the world. this is a goddamn radicalization zone and it terrifies me a little to be caught up in it.

the reason PJ's poo poo sounds like a "vague grand unifying theory" is because it describes actual things that actually happen and have actually been studied and documented, but without identifying them as existing in reality and studied by science and given identified names. would you like me to drop a dozenish links to wikipedia articles that discuss the intertwining elements of the compaction cycle, alone without touching the Narrative stuff?

the only new thing here is the way PJ describes things, which is filtered through her worldview, which is the result of her, uh, unique experiences in life. I personally think there's value in the work, not just because of the content, but because of the origins. you don't have to, though. if you wanna be dismissive of this stuff, then fine, do that, but you don't need to poo poo up the thread to dismiss it

i'm not sure that driving out boosted and fishmech counts as compaction

there were parallel compactions in the hillary and bernie camps during the election, but unlike a narrativist group, we came back together into a single forums population afterward. it's a much more normal community dynamic than the narrativist groups tend to have

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The forums aren't a cult, so one would hope they'd recover in a way that cults don't manage to.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

R. Dieovich posted:

Trump!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

BrandorKP posted:

The forums aren't a cult, so one would hope they'd recover in a way that cults don't manage to.

Just don't ask about Slender Man. Or the last days of laissez-faire. Or Helldump. Or about Krusty the Clown avatars.....