Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ok so am trying to make a website and I started using webflow because looks easy.. but I am not sure if it can do what I want it to do

so from main page you go "create new" and itll create a blank template (thats where the magic happens) with a new random url like website.com/4dMuJs8qTrP4 and so you copy/paste that url to your friends so they can then all go to the same page and do the collab work that needs to happen (the collab work is relatively simple)

so can webflow allow me to do that? create a blank set to work with like that?

I am having trouble getting around the idea of CMS, because it seems like you can only have X amount of CMS entries, and do I understand it correctly that one of these CMS entries would be one of those pages? so if even with huge tier plan with 10,000 CMS entries, if my website every actually got popular, 10,000 would be a puny number

or is webflow more like squarespace? i made a site with squarespace and it was pretty good, but I didn't need anything more than static pages..

I wonder if I am just going to have to learn how to do this by hand.. hmm.. like learn how to make a database or some poo poo. difference being that this isn't a website for a business, but a website that actually is the product

echinopsis fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Oct 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

use a google doc

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mate idk how I can turn that into money

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
that's a wiki, you're wanting to invent a wiki

alternatively: pastebin.com

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

echinopsis posted:

ok so am trying to make a website and I started using webflow because looks easy.. but I am not sure if it can do what I want it to do

so from main page you go "create new" and itll create a blank template (thats where the magic happens) with a new random url like website.com/4dMuJs8qTrP4 and so you copy/paste that url to your friends so they can then all go to the same page and do the collab work that needs to happen (the collab work is relatively simple)

so can webflow allow me to do that? create a blank set to work with like that?

I am having trouble getting around the idea of CMS, because it seems like you can only have X amount of CMS entries, and do I understand it correctly that one of these CMS entries would be one of those pages? so if even with huge tier plan with 10,000 CMS entries, if my website every actually got popular, 10,000 would be a puny number

or is webflow more like squarespace? i made a site with squarespace and it was pretty good, but I didn't need anything more than static pages..

I wonder if I am just going to have to learn how to do this by hand.. hmm.. like learn how to make a database or some poo poo. difference being that this isn't a website for a business, but a website that actually is the product

use wix

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
you'll probably need to setup your own custom database. your backend is gonna need to be fairly robust if you want to take on a bunch of customers and make money off this. think about it how much do you think people are going to be willing to pay for this service and how many people are going to have to pay in order for you to see a return? so you need to make a pretty big database.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also if you roll your own that's less money you have to pay out to vendors. more profit for you.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

also if you roll your own you'll gently caress it up

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
fuckin up's just another way to learn. knowledge is wealth too.

echi don't forget when rolling up your server to use the right amount of RAID. some people say five is good but ten's probably what you need here

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

echinopsis posted:

mate idk how I can turn that into money

you can't turn a website into money either so no real difference

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

fuckin up's just another way to learn. knowledge is wealth too.

echi don't forget when rolling up your server to use the right amount of RAID. some people say five is good but ten's probably what you need here

Raid 6 is the correct raid

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

yospos: redundant array of independent dumbasses

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Captain Foo posted:

Raid 6 is the correct raid

bruv that might do for your animes and your ghost music albums but that is definitely not enough for a commercial money-making website business operation. i'm sorry

also echi if you skip out the encryption you can squeeze out some more performance on the ol' web server. old industry secret :ssh:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

bruv that might do for your animes and your ghost music albums but that is definitely not enough for a commercial money-making website business operation. i'm sorry

Raid 6 and backups is fine

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

also echi if you skip out the encryption you can squeeze out some more performance on the ol' web server. old industry secret :ssh:

cheers bruv this is the industry insider knowledge they don’t teach you at harvard medical school for information technology

Endless Mike posted:

you can't turn a website into money either so no real difference

the internet might be going the way of horses and carts but there’s dozens of dollars left in it yet

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
so realistically i would need to learn how to database

like sql?

and then can i do the rest in python

also if something was worthwhile wouldn’t ya host it on something not my home pc

like trying to straddle the zone where i’m gonna have to learn all but the most basics from scratch but also don’t feel exactly like i need to learn the latest and greatest methods

just need a rough prototype that words until that sweet vc cash flows in and then i can hire come code monkeys

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i need to spend my evenings learning not drinking

for a while at least

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Raluek posted:

hey i dunno if you still need the thing, but i was at a surplus store over the weekend and i found connectors that might work for you

(apparently i suck at focusing a photo)

i think they're for universal laptop power adapters to work with g3 i/powerbooks, but a connector is a connector. they might not be wired right for your app, but you can cut the rubber off and just solder to whatever's on there if you want i guess.

do you want me to stuff some in an envelope or something?

wow, that's a real nice offer, thank you very much, but i've already hacked in a different connector so it's no longer needed.

But thank you for the offer!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

wow, that's a real nice offer, thank you very much, but i've already hacked in a different connector so it's no longer needed.

But thank you for the offer!

cool, yeah i figured you already had a solution in place. i love that store, they have all sorts of random wtf items like that. like a bin of mini-DVI pcb-mount jacks.

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Captain Foo posted:

yospos: redundant array of independent dumbasses

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

echinopsis posted:

so realistically i would need to learn how to database

like sql?

and then can i do the rest in python

also if something was worthwhile wouldn’t ya host it on something not my home pc

like trying to straddle the zone where i’m gonna have to learn all but the most basics from scratch but also don’t feel exactly like i need to learn the latest and greatest methods

just need a rough prototype that words until that sweet vc cash flows in and then i can hire come code monkeys

what you described is Google docs. if you want to make easy money by doing software the easiest way is to just get a day job at it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
idk how i managed to describe what i have in mind as google docs but that’s wrong. i moves this over to the programming thread anyway coz it’s not really a computer problem it’s more a human problem (me) with a computer solution

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

First let me talk about the sponsor of this post, Squarespace. With Squarespace you can set up your web presence quickly and easily.

Thanks to Squarespace for sponsoring this post.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

spankmeister posted:

First let me talk about the sponsor of this post, Squarespace. With Squarespace you can set up your web presence quickly and easily.

Thanks to Squarespace for sponsoring this post.

go to squarspace.com/offer and enter promo code 'spunk' for 5% off your first website

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:ck5:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

this emote sucks and should be deleted

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

I would like to know when in the "Louie CK performative jerking-off" saga this was purchased.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
There has never been a good post which included the word "performative".

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
someone saying smoka being "performative hardscrabble" was a p good post

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Captain Foo posted:

this has been brought up

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
e: i guess that didnt happen, nm

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Bhodi posted:

someone saying smoka being "performative hardscrabble" was a p good post

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i believe that was our dear friend kenny logins/uptime sinclair.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

dsyp

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
upgraded linux, now sound doesn't work in bitwig studio

tale as old as time

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Helianthus Annuus posted:

upgraded linux, now sound doesn't work in bitwig studio

tale as old as time

u had a linux that was working and changed it?? wth did you expect to happen

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i was like "i wonder if upgrading stuff in linux still breaks poo poo like sound" and its nice to know some things never change

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
perhaps you can call support for help op

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Turn your speakers on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
Im thinking of rebuilding my computer to be fanless, exactly how stupid an idea is this?