Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I don't think you're quite at the puzzles that require advanced stuff yet - the 6 3 column allows you to put one dot down, and it should be straightforward from there.

But for advanced tricks, here's one that you might find useful: check out the last two columns - 5, and 7. The combination of those two clues tells you that the 7 block covers at least two rows that have a 1 as their last clue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

How do you see there would be a dot? I don't even see that much

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Len posted:

How do you see there would be a dot? I don't even see that much

So the basic strategy is to look at two situations: What if all the blocks are as high up as possible (and all the remaining empty space is at the bottom), and what if they're all as low down as possible (and all the empty space is at the top), and see if any of the blocks overlap with themselves. If they do, you know that, no matter what, the bits that overlap must be filled in.

To start with, you can just do that for every row and column until you find somewhere that allows you to make progress. As you play more, you develop an intuitive understanding for when a particular line has enough clues, and you only need to check those lines.

ephphatha
Dec 18, 2009

The 6, 3 column would require at least 10 spaces of the 15 available. Because there's only 5 spaces of leeway the sixth space from the top has to be part of the 6 group.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If you can't do that kind of reasoning picross may not be for you. I say that because I can and there are much harder puzzles I can't do that make that seem easy. I mean it's on a continuum, mlmp

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Ephphatha posted:

The 6, 3 column would require at least 10 spaces of the 15 available. Because there's only 5 spaces of leeway the sixth space from the top has to be part of the 6 group.

here's a visualization

syscall girl posted:

If you can't do that kind of reasoning picross may not be for you. I say that because I can and there are much harder puzzles I can't do that make that seem easy. I mean it's on a continuum, mlmp

lol buddy calm down a little

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Lone Goat posted:

here's a visualization

lol buddy calm down a little

Ah that makes sense. Thanks for that. I've only fiddled with picross a few times but this has been my go to time killer on my phone lately.

syscall girl posted:

You though? Sorry I'm not pro-tier at Picross after only playing a few dozen puzzles I will immediately delete this from my phone and never try these again. :rolleyes:

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
everytime people talk about picross it makes me believe lizard people are real.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Picross is insane, how does anybody enjoy that awful poo poo?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Some people like light logic exercises

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Picross is the perfect game and my only regret is nothing has ever been quite as good as Picross DS.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Len posted:

I still can't believe that in 2018 people are hype for RuneScape.

I gave away my account in high school, after over a year or two of not playing, to two kids that were obsessed with the game. I had some party hat thing that people went crazy for. I think they ended their friendship fighting over it.

I'm 30 now.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

lol I was typing up a big text post explaining it, but somehow I missed all the replies that did so much more concisely. including Lone Goat's wonderful image.

Picross is wonderful but I always feel like it's kind of difficult to learn what all the tricks and techniques are without just somehow tripping over and discovering them yourselves. Is there any sort of guideline to these things? Are techniques where you count overlapping spaces on extremes actually given names? Does anyone write on the science of how picross works?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
:lol: at acting elitists over loving Picross.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

axelblaze posted:

who is doing this and how

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Lutha Mahtin posted:

who is doing this and how

syscall girl posted:

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
A lot of the satisfaction comes from working out the solving techniques yourself.

But if you do a bit of searching you can definitely find articles that explain some approaches that can be used, e.g. http://gambiter.com/puzzle/Nonogram.html

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Hungry Cat Picross is fun because I can buy a hat for my catte

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There's something certainly said for self discovery, but I feel like most of the time I just feel like an idiot when I discover something like overlapping possibility squares. Or the more advanced versions where you're dealing with multiple sets of filled in squares. Applying those techniques is fun, but it's misery trying to piece them out for yourself and then feeling like an idiot once you realize how it's done. At the very least having terms to describe these things would be nice. like how to "count from an edge to a known filled-in square and then continue filling in on the overflow" to even simpler things like "extending a filled-in square from the edge of the board" or just "fill in the entire row you idiot because all the groups + 1 for each empty space equals the exact number of squares available"

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Shwqa posted:

I gave away my account in high school, after over a year or two of not playing, to two kids that were obsessed with the game. I had some party hat thing that people went crazy for. I think they ended their friendship fighting over it.

I'm 30 now.

Happy 30th Birthday, Shwqa.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

axelblaze posted:

I don't think syscall girl was doing that, I think s/he was just making a valid point in a poorly worded way. If you can't wrap your brain around the basic techniques it may not be the game for you, that's not a value judgement, it's just like saying that if you don't have fast reflexes you might not enjoy Celeste :shrug:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Happy birthday shqwa

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've done one;
Any enemy lowest max hp, attack
Any enemy lowest hp, attack
Any enemy >10% hp, attack
And it still fails to find targets.
I've given up until it's patched or I can use one of ya'lls

This seems like the simplest, duh macro to make too..
It fails when there are 2 enemies one hurt and one lower max hp as well, I don't get it

Are the enemies invisible, by any chance? Sometimes it's difficult for me to tell, so it confused me while I was making macros.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Oh drat it I forgot to check out the iOS on my actual birthday this year. Thanks for remembering gang :unsmith:

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")

Shwqa posted:

I'm 30 now.

All party hats are around/above gold cap, which makes it like 800 bucks minimum if you buy the gold. Shoulda kept that account and used it to buy a nice weekend getting a massage and getting shithoused in a strange city.

Happy birthday shwqa

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

All party hats are around/above gold cap, which makes it like 800 bucks minimum if you buy the gold. Shoulda kept that account and used it to buy a nice weekend getting a massage and getting shithoused in a strange city.

Happy birthday shwqa

Huh I never knew that runescape hats were a better investment than bitcoin.

Also you remembered :unsmith:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

You though? Sorry I'm not pro-tier at Picross after only playing a few dozen puzzles I will immediately delete this from my phone and never try these again. :rolleyes:

All I'm saying is I'm not pro-tier either the games other people consider medium are *woosh* to me. But the stuff being discussed is not, is all. Levels

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
Quoting myself because no one responded:

FredMSloniker posted:

Got any suggestions for Android games I can play for a couple of minutes an hour? I'm thinking of the crew minigames from Star Trek Online, where you assign crewmembers to various missions and check in on them later to see how they did. Anything with a similar "set it up, then come back later to see how you did" format would be of interest!

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

FredMSloniker posted:

Pixel puzzle / picross

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Epic Seven looks awesome, it's out in KR and supposedly going global this year.

You can preregister here for some launch rewards:

https://epic7.smilegatemegaport.com/world/preregist?lang=en

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGQ_9qB5WXM

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

syscall girl posted:

All I'm saying is I'm not pro-tier either the games other people consider medium are *woosh* to me. But the stuff being discussed is not, is all. Levels

It's still lovely to go "oh this isn't the genre for you" when someone is new to it.

That's like going "oh you can't read music? Might as well stop now"

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Shwqa posted:

I'm 30 now.

High school was so far behind me when Runescape came out. I've never played it. I adamantly refused to have anything to do with MMOs, because I thought they were a scam (why should I have to keep paying for something I already bought?). It took a RO Private Server to change my mind.

Anyay, I guess what I'm trying to say here is

Happy birthday, Shwqa!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Happy birthday, Shwqa!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Len posted:

It's still lovely to go "oh this isn't the genre for you" when someone is new to it.

Right I realized how I sounded. Everyone go out and play some picross. It's like super hard minesweeper with all the fun that implies.

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

FredMSloniker posted:

I didn't respond initially because it's not quite what you're asking for, but I've enjoyed Hades Star in short bursts like that. Really just the trading among your planets is sort of built to do in short bursts throughout the day.

There's more to the game, and I think there is (was?) a goon guild. It's a fun chill game, although I haven't played in a while. Sort of Clash of Clans-ish, but different in enough ways that it kept me entertained for a long while.

I will note that the pve raiding ("red stars") is very fun if you do it with someone in person (I'm sure it also works fine solo or with a clan). My wife and I did that for a long time, and it was a fun little co-op puzzle each time. In fact, now that I talk about it, maybe I'll see if she wants to get back into it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

Yeah gently caress that poo poo. Especially in a puzzle game like picross where you pick up techniques the more you do it, and start seeing patterns as you progress into deeper and deeper puzzles. It's one of my favourite puzzle genres and I'm pretty sure I'm halfway decent at it, but I know there's still techniques to learn.

For example, this:

Jabor posted:

But for advanced tricks, here's one that you might find useful: check out the last two columns - 5, and 7. The combination of those two clues tells you that the 7 block covers at least two rows that have a 1 as their last clue.

I have no idea what he's talking about. If someone could elaborate on this that'd be fantastic.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Morpheus posted:

I have no idea what he's talking about. If someone could elaborate on this that'd be fantastic.

I have no idea what he means either except that maybe you know you cant have both the 5 & 7 columns lining up together at that point because it needs to be a 1 for that row. though that still doesn't help because you don't know which one fills that single spot.

But without some other input you can't do anything with a solo 5 or 7 on a row. An 8 solo will always have the very center pip marked because if you count 8 from either end that one is there. Anything above 8 and you get extra marks.

fake edit: I was trying to think of things to help others but it would be really hard to explain without doing a whole bunch of pictures and explaining different things. It would probably be better for a video and I figure there has to be resources out there already so I am not going to take the time to make one. Besides I have 15% left to do in this game, though most of that is probably Boss games that I can only do once every 4 hours.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 1, 2018

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Picross logic follows a few rules that you extrapolate to figure out where squares or X's MUST be.

Each number is a sequence of that many connected squares. Multiple numbers are separated by an unknown number of empty spaces (X's), minimum one.

The main method is you start on one side of a row/column and count off. Take 1 1 4 on a 10x10 puzzle. Start on the left and go "1 space 1 space 4" then start on the other side and go "4 space 1 space 1". These represent the extremes of placement on either side.

Compare both extremes and notice therr are two squares in the "4" that are filled in for both extremes. These are guaranteed by logical deduction and can be filled in.

The other thing you do is look around for segments that are complete within a row/column. If you've got a 2 2 2 and you have 2 squares filled in, drop X's on both sides because you know that 2 is complete.

It's super hard to explain picross in text but once the logic rules click you can solve pretty much any puzzle that doesn't require "what-if?" steps.

It's basically the same solving rules as a sudoku. Figure out what is 100% true, fill it in, then go recheck things with the new information. Adding an x can be just as helpful as adding a square! (Like a single x can tell you a 5 has to go on one side of the board and not the other)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
"Pretty much any puzzle" but certainly not puzzles that require you to be a computer to basically trial and error without actually trying (if you make changes on the board you can have a penalty depending on the app rules or a mess with a pen) hypothetical positions and then verifying down the line if that will work. Or I'm missing something which may well be the case. If anyone cares I'll get one off an iPad app I have that is relatively simple but almost certainly not solvable by that logic.

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 1, 2018