Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

5etools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Arthil posted:

1. That isn't how the mechanic works. You can be at 1 HP and take almost twice your health in damage but you still simply go down. That 14 HP Wizard will only die outright if he manages to take 28 damage in a single hit.

Yes, that is how the mechanic works. Look at the instant death rule on page 197 of the PHB and note in particular the example they give,

If you're at 1 HP and you take [1 + max] damage, you are instantly dead because the remaining damage is sufficient. In the example I gave, the Wizard was at 3 and then took 20. That's enough to knock him to 0 and has 17 remaining. As that's more than his max, that's a dead Wizard.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Sage Genesis posted:

Yes, that is how the mechanic works. Look at the instant death rule on page 197 of the PHB and note in particular the example they give,

If you're at 1 HP and you take [1 + max] damage, you are instantly dead because the remaining damage is sufficient. In the example I gave, the Wizard was at 3 and then took 20. That's enough to knock him to 0 and has 17 remaining. As that's more than his max, that's a dead Wizard.

"Instant Death
Massive damage can kill you instantly. When damage reduces you to 0 hit points and there is damage remaining, you die if the remaining damage equals or exceeds your hit point maximum.

For example, a cleric with a maximum of 12 hit points currently has 6 hit points. If she takes 18 damage from an attack, she is reduced to 0 hit points, but 12 damage remains. Because the remaining damage equals her hit point maximum, the cleric dies."

Huh, it's not double your HP.

Edit: Wait wait, no. It still needs to do your hit point maximum after you are dropped to 0 to kill you outright.

Wizard-boy still needs to be hit for 28 damage to be killed instantly in that first attack. Which is what I was talking about.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 1, 2018

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Arthil posted:

Huh, it's not double your HP.

It would be if we were talking about a PC at full health, so that's often what gets discussed. But a low level character who is already damaged has a much greater chance of running afoul of the instant death rule.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Sage Genesis posted:

It would be if we were talking about a PC at full health, so that's often what gets discussed. But a low level character who is already damaged has a much greater chance of running afoul of the instant death rule.

Exactly yeah, Instant Death really isn't a problem after a few levels other than some extreme cases. But even with the Centaur and the 1d10+3d6+4 somehow not dropping the Wizard to 0, he probably won't insta-gib him with his hoof attack unless he crits.

Edit: Playing a Barbarian for so long has probably also altered how I thought about that rule. There just really isn't anything that's gonna do 257 damage in one hit, usually.

Arthil fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Nov 1, 2018

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Arthil posted:

Exactly yeah, Instant Death really isn't a problem after a few levels other than some extreme cases. But even with the Centaur and the 1d10+3d6+4 somehow not dropping the Wizard to 0, he probably won't insta-gib him with his hoof attack unless he crits.

In that order of operations, true. That would just cause two death save failures, assuming the centaur even chooses to keep trampling that character. It's when hooves go first and then the lance that things look dire. And of course you were also correct that you're not supposed to pool the two damage rolls into one whole, but in my experience that's how a lot of DMs do it. I've had to rules-lawyer a PC back to live one time by asking just exactly what the steps were, piece by piece, otherwise the Paladin was toast. (Paladin still died the session afterwards though, in an encounter with banshees.)

Edit:
I also just realized that if the centaur does hooves attack the downed Wizard, that's an autocrit which will deal 4d6+4 damage. If that manages to deal 14 damage (and let's face it, it will) then the Wizard is once again dead.

Arthil posted:

Edit: Playing a Barbarian for so long has probably also altered how I thought about that rule. There just really isn't anything that's gonna do 257 damage in one hit, usually.

Christ, I would hope not! A crit with a very powerful psychic attack might get tricky, but thankfully those are mostly Wis saves.

Sage Genesis fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 1, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Most characters are highly vulnerable to ID until 4, and even then they can still just get exploded by a CR 3 or 4 spellcaster that rolls high on its Fireball/Lightning Bolt.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Arthil posted:

Well, the average of 1d10+3d6+4 is around 20, which would put the wizard to (on average) -6 on one attack, right?

And, unfortunately, as much as the clear correct line of thinking is "if the wizard is down, don't just keep attacking the wizard", I've had multiple DMs that will actively aim to kill a PC if given the opportunity, and in at least one case to the exclusion of survival.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I'm playing right now. Our level 1 monk was at 1 hp and took 20 damage from a swarm of rats crit. He is dead hurray.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

RC Cola posted:

I'm playing right now. Our level 1 monk was at 1 hp and took 20 damage from a swarm of rats crit. He is dead hurray.

Welcome to 5e! :haw:

But seriously though, that sucks.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

One of the biggest problems with 5E is that 1st level is portrayed as something you should definitely play through

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
At least he is saved from the pain of playing a monk.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Darwinism posted:

One of the biggest problems with 5E is that 1st level is portrayed as something you should definitely play through

How else will they learn that you should never start a game at 1st level?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

eyyyyyy

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Our level 1 encounters with 3 level 1 PCs.
A zombie and 2 imps.
5 ghouls.
2 ghouls and 2 cultists whatever that means.
I have now been hit by a 24 and a 25 to hit at level 1. I was just hit and hit again and failed a save and was swallowed in our 4th encounter against some 'wurms'

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Live posting my death over here. This guy has not DM'd alot. What CR 1 creature gets an attack and swallow action in 1 turn and also has a +6 to hit?

Edit: he says they're CR half I guess lol.

RC Cola fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 1, 2018

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Sage Genesis posted:

How else will they learn that you should never start a game at 1st level?

ya always start them at level 0 with only their race and background abilities to help them through the first few fights

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

mormonpartyboat posted:

ya always start them at level 0 with only their race and background abilities to help them through the first few fights

I didn't think we were supposed to talk about Shadow of the Demon Lord anymore.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

RC Cola posted:

Live posting my death over here. This guy has not DM'd alot. What CR 1 creature gets an attack and swallow action in 1 turn and also has a +6 to hit?

Edit: he says they're CR half I guess lol.

I don't think there's any creature that has a swallow attack and a +6 to hit, actually. Giant toads are CR 1 and have a +4 to hit.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

tzirean posted:

I don't think there's any creature that has a swallow attack and a +6 to hit, actually. Giant toads are CR 1 and have a +4 to hit.

He called them conqueror worms. But yeah. I should be dead and he let me not take the acid damage from it to fail my 3rd saving throw. I'm starting to think that these aren't creatures that a group of 3 level 1 PCs can fight.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

RC Cola posted:

He called them conqueror worms. But yeah. I should be dead and he let me not take the acid damage from it to fail my 3rd saving throw. I'm starting to think that these aren't creatures that a group of 3 level 1 PCs can fight.

It sounds like he made them up and completely failed to balance them. Or intentionally made them too difficult.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

RC Cola posted:

I can’t find these things anywhere online, I think these are some bad 3rd party monster or homebrew. As bad as early level balance is I don’t think the system’s entirely at fault.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Can I get away with using the old cool Planescape setting stuff for Outlands/Planes with 5e rules and hopefully no one will give a poo poo?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The vaunted lethality of 5e isn't just because of actually dying according to the rules, but also having everyone knocked out and making death saves - because when you're all on the floor and bleeding out, the only other possibility is for the DM to say "you're taken prisoner" or you're all coup-de-grace'd, or the enemies leave you alone but you then have to survive the per-turn death save rules.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

frajaq posted:

Can I get away with using the old cool Planescape setting stuff for Outlands/Planes with 5e rules and hopefully no one will give a poo poo?

Short answer: Yes.

Long answer: Yeeeeeeeeeessssssssssss.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

frajaq posted:

This is not only what you can do, it is what you should do.

Honestly, anything that 5E did with Planescape would, with basically 100% certainty, just be reprinted advice from the 3E/4E Planescape setting books.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

Oh man rereading the wording for Charge. I could easily see how people could take it both ways. With how I read it, I assumed that it would just work like it does for the Warhorse trampling charge. But since the Warhorse only has one attack anyway...

I think maybe they should have worded that you must Pike attack as your first attack after the movement.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Oh, boy. Level 1 party in the Waterdeep HC and what do we get? Intellect Devourer gently caress off forever, WotC.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Toshimo posted:

Oh, boy. Level 1 party in the Waterdeep HC and what do we get? Intellect Devourer gently caress off forever, WotC.

No, that couldn't be because actually it's obvious and clear that it can't happen because it very clearly wasn't the intent for that to happen so it can't happen and I don't know why everyone always harps on about it it could clearly never happen, obviously, in actual play, actually.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

Oh cool, and now we're rolling HP for level up. :|

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

Did you win? It's the boss of that dungeon.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

AlphaDog posted:

No, remember, that obviously and clearly can't happen because that wasn't the intent for that to happen so it can't happen and I don't know why everyone always harps on about it it could clearly never happen, obviously, in actual play, actually.

It wasn't alone either. It had some sort of Orc Wizard with it. Jesus gently caress what is wrong with these people.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Did you win? It's the boss of that dungeon.

Yes, but I'm pretty sure our DM didn't read the stat block and didn't apply resistances. v0v. He's p bad about reading and rules.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Ha ha. "Every long rest will restore 1d3 Intelligence."

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Toshimo posted:

I’ve liked playing dragon heist a lot so far but that part made no sense to me. Why bother using a mind flayer like that in a book about politics and factions beefing. Maybe it’ll be relevant later???

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

Oh cool, and now we're rolling HP for level up. :|
I always allow Rolls, but they are optional, taking the standard should always be an option.

Toshimo posted:

It wasn't alone either. It had some sort of Orc Wizard with it. Jesus gently caress what is wrong with these people.
I think he's just an apprentice wizard. A wuss even by level 1 standards.

Toshimo posted:

Ha ha. "Every long rest will restore 1d3 Intelligence."

You are in Waterdeep the biggest city in the world. Has he given a reason why you can't go to a temple and get that fixed.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Yes, but I'm pretty sure our DM didn't read the stat block and didn't apply resistances. v0v. He's p bad about reading and rules.

5E is nothing but reading and rules...

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MonsterEnvy posted:

I always allow Rolls, but they are optional, taking the standard should always be an option.

lolnope it feels totally epic going from 9 HP at level 1 to 12 HP at level 2 while everyone else is high rolling and the DM is going "Well, good thing you guys will be able to take a hit now"

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think he's just an apprentice wizard. A wuss even by level 1 standards.

The DM was gloating at how he TPK'ed his other party because the wizard highrolled init and then burning hands the entire party for more than their max HP turn 1.

MonsterEnvy posted:

You are in Waterdeep the biggest city in the world. Has he given a reason why you can't go to a temple and get that fixed.

Probably because Greater Restoration is the spell that fixes it (or lolwish) and that costs 450gp which a level 1 party sure as gently caress doesn't have.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Darwinism posted:

5E is nothing but reading and rules...

Yeah, this isn't going so well in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, this isn't going so well in general.

But the DM has a real hard-on for flanking.