Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

PupsOfWar posted:

I'm mostly just not sure who's playing free safety now

neither Jones nor Brice has experience centerfielding and the other safeties on the roster are unproven

switching Jones over would both not suit his current skillset and remove flexibility with nickel packages

Probably Tramon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

golden tate was a lot of fun to watch but i dont think they were going to re-sign him and i mean honestly this trade wouldnt stop them from bringing him back either way

the most curious thing is ive seen a lot of "the lions are stupid and would have gotten a 3rd or 4th rounder in compensatory picks for him!" because thats requires you sit out of free agency entirely to recoup that one pick which, i mean its nice to have as an option but pretending its the same as just getting a third is totally inaccurate

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

I think it was a pretty good trade. Lions get a mid round pic, and with the emergence of Golladay and an actual running game it seems like at least 1 WR was expendable.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Montgomery had to go mainly so stubborn Fat Mike wouldn’t be able to force him into the backfield anymore. Now he has no choice but to use Jones now.

Get ready for Randall Cobb’s return to the running game! Nobody will be able to guess what happens next when we put him back there! :shepicide:

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
If the Packers are sellers at the trade deadline, it makes me wonder if a decision has already been made on McCarthy.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Whooping Crabs posted:

If the Packers are sellers at the trade deadline, it makes me wonder if a decision has already been made on McCarthy.

I was thinking this too.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
As in Fat Mike is out?

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Do you dump him midseason or wait until the off-season? It seems like making Rodgers happy earlier is the better play.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
McCarthy has gone stale for sure, but I don't know how much of an improvement you're going to get replacing him. The average NFL coach has at least as many flaws.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Packers need a innovative offensive mind?

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Dexo posted:

Packers need a innovative offensive mind?

I knew exactly what this was going to be before I clicked it.

Other options could also be Mike Martz or John Shoop.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

humpthewind posted:

Do you dump him midseason or wait until the off-season? It seems like making Rodgers happy earlier is the better play.

I imagine they'll let him try and swim during the regular season and if the Packers miss the postseason again, he's gone.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
The Vikings might actually have the worst offensive line in football. I'm amazed I didn't see that coming, I had no idea they were gonna be that bad this year. It's really stunting everything they do and putting Cousins in a pretty poo poo situation of no run game and constantly being under pressure.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The Vikings' o-line is not nearly as bad as the Giants' or the Cardinals' but it's pretty below average. They lost a couple dudes to injury that haven't really recovered fully yet, from what I understand. So their run game is pretty crap and they can't slow it down. Cousins has done very well, all things considered.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Durandal1707 posted:

The Vikings' o-line is not nearly as bad as the Giants' or the Cardinals' but it's pretty below average. They lost a couple dudes to injury that haven't really recovered fully yet, from what I understand. So their run game is pretty crap and they can't slow it down. Cousins has done very well, all things considered.

That's true but with the Vikings it's kind of worse because everything else is absolutely there for them to be a postseason competitor. Rashod Hill must be the worst tackle in the entire league. I knew it would probably slow them down but it's been much worse than I expected

e: Football Outsiders has them at 27th in the league. Could be worse, but definitely too low imo to be a legit postseason threat going forward. The NFC North is kind of wide open right now and it's starting to look like only one team will go to the postseason from there.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
It's ok dalvin cook is gonna come back any minute and rush for 1000 yards

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Play posted:

That's true but with the Vikings it's kind of worse because everything else is absolutely there for them to be a postseason competitor. Rashod Hill must be the worst tackle in the entire league. I knew it would probably slow them down but it's been much worse than I expected

e: Football Outsiders has them at 27th in the league. Could be worse, but definitely too low imo to be a legit postseason threat going forward. The NFC North is kind of wide open right now and it's starting to look like only one team will go to the postseason from there.

Yeah, they kinda strike me as being in the same camp as the Texans, albeit with way better coaching. Good on both sides of the ball on paper, but they can't block worth a poo poo and it's gonna cost them when they go up against a team with a real pass rush in the playoffs.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/BradGalli/status/1057814795406229505

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
holy poo poo that pic

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

American McGay posted:

I knew exactly what this was going to be before I clicked it.

Other options could also be Mike Martz or John Shoop.

Oh, God, provide a trigger warning before reminding people of the run and Shoop.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/Peter_Bukowski/status/1057666022650585088

https://twitter.com/WesHod/status/1057725234453929984

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

This is a pretty clear hit piece on HHCD, driven by a team insider, but some interesting tidbits here: https://www.packersnews.com/story/s...ine/1848782002/

quote:

At age 25, Clinton-Dix should have be hitting his peak as an NFL safety, yet he has regressed to the point where the Packers considered the former first-round draft pick part of the problem, not part of the solution, to their defensive issues.

And much of it traces back to Clinton-Dix’s Pro Bowl two years ago. He came away from that honor thinking he was a great player entitled to a huge contract. His work ethic and attention to detail suffered, and his quest to make big plays prevailed at the expense of doing his job.

Anyone who has watched the Packers regularly the last 1½ years has witnessed his incredibly uneven play. Though he intercepted six passes going back to 2017, he also gave up far too many plays by gambling in coverage and missing tackles as the last line of defense.

quote:

“He thought he was good enough that he didn’t have to study as much as a rookie (does),” a team source said of Clinton-Dix’s mindset the last two seasons. “He’s guessing (in pass coverage). He’s thinking that’s how you get paid.”

The Clinton-Dix trade this week brings to mind the Packers’ release of guard Josh Sitton just before the start of the 2016 season. Like Sitton's, Clinton-Dix’s play had declined. Like Sitton, he felt deserving of a lucrative contract extension but was rebuffed by the team. And like Sitton, his indignation carried over to the locker room, where he groused to teammates about not being rewarded with a new deal.

NFL teams don’t like unhappy veterans influencing ascending young players, especially if that veteran isn’t a star. So first with Sitton and now Clinton-Dix, the Packers very suddenly parted ways. They never missed Sitton. We’ll see in the second half of this season whether the same is true with Clinton-Dix.

quote:

It’s true that Clinton-Dix has his moments of excellence, like his impressive interception of Buffalo rookie quarterback Josh Allen in Week 4 this year. On that play, Clinton-Dix held his deep zone until Allen threw outside, then made a strong break on the ball and knocked receiver Kelvin Benjamin out of the game while making a tough, physical interception.

But then there are the big plays where he freelanced and gave up points.

In Week 2 against Minnesota he sat back hoping for an overthrow interception rather than stepping up to pick up Laquon Treadwell on a 14-yard slant for a touchdown.

In Week 3 against Washington he gave up a nine-yard touchdown pass to Jamison Crowder even after cornerback Tramon Williams pointed to alert him to a possible slant coming his way.

In Week 5 at Detroit, he gave up an eight-yard touchdown pass to Marvin Jones when he blatantly abandoned his zone in quarters coverage looking to make a big play.

And who can forget how he mailed it in during the last game of 2017, with the Packers out of the playoff race? That’s not the way to play if you’re looking to get paid.

“He’s just so incredibly inconsistent,” said a high-ranking scout for another NFL team.

This wasn't mentioned in the article but it reminded me of this moment from 2014: http://www.nfl.com/videos/seattle-seahawks/0ap3000000460844/Wilson-finds-Willson-for-the-2-point-conversion He takes like 2 hops towards Willson, doesn't even get in front of him or play the ball or anything.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Sounds like a coaching problem ultimately.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Yeah thats a total failure by the coaching staff. He’ll sign with the Patriots or someone in the offseason and never miss a Pro Bowl again.

God my team is loving dumb sometimes.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

BGrifter posted:

Yeah thats a total failure by the coaching staff. He’ll sign with the Patriots or someone in the offseason and never miss a Pro Bowl again.

God my team is loving dumb sometimes.
Eh, he really hasn't been great. I'm ok with it. Seriously though, they're so stocked with picks that they'd better be great next year.

Hako
Jul 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Hako fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 2, 2018

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Dix sounds like a real waste of a roster space, surely this will be addition by subtraction and the Packers will have no problems with inconsistency on defense now. :v:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

VJeff posted:

Dix sounds like a real waste of a roster space, surely this will be addition by subtraction and the Packers will have no problems with inconsistency on defense now. :v:

I think moving Tramon to safety and getting Breeland on the field will make the whole situation end up being a wash, tbh. Williams had clearly lost a step on the field, but still knows how to play. King, Breeland, Alexander shouldn't be too bad of a CB corps.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/ajmcleland/status/1058777909966471178?s=21

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

https://twitter.com/SandoESPN/status/1058811623060717570

owned

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
How much did Bradford end up getting from the Cardinals?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

SirPablo posted:

How much did Bradford end up getting from the Cardinals?

13.5 mil for 3 games played.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

Gonz posted:

good money if you can get it

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
Bradford's agent deserves to go to the HOF

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Rectal Placenta posted:

See also: Fitzpatrick's agent.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Rectal Placenta posted:

This is a more general NFL opinion but I maintain that no NFL athlete has earned more to do less than Bradford, and since his draft class was the last one with massive rookie contracts I'm not sure that another player ever will.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

Gonz posted:

Cousins' contract looks great now.

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

Looking like Ziggy is active today, he's gonna give it one last go before he joins the Bosa brothers in heaven

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

Playing the vikings OLine, time to pad his stats and then get injured again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Vikings/status/1059124362991804416?s=20

MIN 27 DET 20