Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Kashuno posted:

It's extremely common for people to think about leaving when others leave, it's weird of you to act otherwise
If anyone has been so thoroughly one-foot-out-the-door for months/years that the mere awareness of a coworker getting a better opportunity somewhere else is what gets them to finally pull the trigger:

a) Good! They've been mentally checked out for a long time, dreaming of greener pastures, and you have a brand new opportunity to fill their role with someone who wants to tune in to the work. Win/win!
b) Your workplace is probably hopelessly toxic in the first place. You should put more effort into fixing that as opposed to limiting physical exposure (?!?) to a person who you know to be starting a new job soon.

Employee attrition isn't bad. Not every employee needs saving. Focus on making the best work environment possible for your best people so that they aren't constantly sniffing out opportunities somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
In my experience the thing that kicks off everybody sending out resumes is layoffs, not resignations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

I don’t understand all the discussion about filing for unemployment and if you qualify or not, so please help me understand.

Back in the dot-com bust of ‘99-‘00 I was offered a severance package or the chance to relocate to Georgia USA on my own dime (I lived in California at the time). I took the severance and then filed for unemployment that I literally just ticked boxes on and sent the form back in.

Since I technically quit, was I not theoretically able to collect unemployment?

I’ve had several gaps in my employment during which I went on unemployment and received a severance package and have never had a problem getting accepted.

Have some of you actually filed for unemployment after leaving a job and been denied?

I think you're allowed to decline an option to relocate and still get unemployment. I'm not positive, but I believe you can get unemployment if your employer changes the terms of your job as well - like, say significantly lowers your pay.

I got hosed on unemployment when I was laid off in the midst of the Great Recession. I got my 14 weeks, but didn't qualify for additional federal unemployment benefits because I took a part time job substituting in schools. I made almost nothing and always deducted the earnings from my weekly benefits, but by working in a school I got reclassified as a school employee and once summer hit there are rules against education workers filing for unemployment. I filed a protest and got a 'hearing' but they kept insisting I was a school district employee even though it's a 1099 position. So I lost unemployment benefits at the same time I lost my lousy $69 a day gig.

I will dance on the grave of my state's labor commissioner. That cost me a year in benefits.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

It looks like I'm getting sent to re:Invent as a vanguard to evaluate whether my company should send more people next year and be more interested in butt stuff. I am a total AWS neophyte.

For context, my company sells a software package/platform to financial institutions. We have a somewhat-hearted effort going on to build a proof of concept in AWS. I do infrastructure, I have nothing do with development.

I've looked at all the 200 level sessions and picked out all the ones that look at least a little bit interesting. Additionally, my boss has mentioned security and Elastic Beanstalk as being key points of interest.

How do I make the most of it?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Happiness Commando posted:

How do I make the most of it?

Go to the ones you think are interesting but spend the majority of your time getting at the pool, gaming and getting drunk because Vegas.

When your at home just watch the recordings.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

IANAL but iirc it depends on the state and with a severance package you cannot collect unemployment for the overlap of the severance package i.e. you get a severance of 3 months pay, you cannot collect unemployment until month four. Some will fight to prevent you from collecting any unemployment due to a severance package.

as a whole if an employee is on good terms with their coworkers the 2 weeks will not impact whether they poach or the coworkers feel like they also need to jump ship as management will be the last to know.

I got laid off earlier this year and the woman from the unemployment office specially told me that they don't take severance into account at all and I was eligible for unemployment benefits after the normal week waiting period. Presumably it's a state by state thing, this was in WA.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Our company was bought by another last week. It won't be a finalized deal until it's approved by regulators in a couple states but of course it will be. I'm worried, but not tremendously. The biggest thing that would suck is losing this laid back job. We pretty much get to do what we want and not get bothered by bosses. As long as regular work gets done nobody goes crazy. But it's possible that the culture changes once the new owners are in place anyway.

Of course they're saying nothing will change, the acquisition doesn't need head count reduction, etc. But they almost have to say that kind of thing.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Tab8715 posted:

Go to the ones you think are interesting but spend the majority of your time getting at the pool, gaming and getting drunk because Vegas.

When your at home just watch the recordings.

This guy knows things.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

myron cope posted:

Our company was bought by another last week. It won't be a finalized deal until it's approved by regulators in a couple states but of course it will be. I'm worried, but not tremendously. The biggest thing that would suck is losing this laid back job. We pretty much get to do what we want and not get bothered by bosses. As long as regular work gets done nobody goes crazy. But it's possible that the culture changes once the new owners are in place anyway.

Of course they're saying nothing will change, the acquisition doesn't need head count reduction, etc. But they almost have to say that kind of thing.

I always thought that the "nothing will change" statement during an acquisition really meant "please don't start leaving, we need to document what the talented people around here, the ones that could leave easily, do and what they know so we can then have your boss unceremoniously lay them off at 2 pm on a Friday, and then lay him off at 5".

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 1, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

myron cope posted:

It's entirely possible they'll hollow out your company like a pumpkin, but when the job market is tight companies do buy other companies as much for their labor force as their IP or market share.

It's definitely going to be less laid back because being so laid back is what got you bought out, sorry.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

myron cope posted:

Going through the same thing right now. Someone is looking to acquire us and it made the news before we heard from leadership, which of course freaked people out. Got the standard "business as usual" email from the CEO.

I've got a chill job, treated super well and WFH full time. The only bad thing about WFH is I feel like there's a target on my back when if it ever came to headcount reduction.

The company looking to acquire us has poo poo benefits and PTO, so even if I don't get laid off, I might have to look for a new job anyway. gently caress I don't want to put pants on and drive to an office again.

I've survived 2 acquisitions before and each has actually been great for my career (bigger environments, more responsibility), but it always makes you nervous. Nothing is final though, they're still trying to figure out a deal. Even if they do it'll take probably a year for it to finalize. Plenty of time.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I may chicken out if/when the time comes, but I promised myself that if I lose my current gig, I would get back to working at Umich after a couple decades away. For a few years, at least, I could trade out some salary in exchange for knowing with some certainty that there would be no mergers, no corporate acquisitions, no panic over stock prices, and no decision that this location was not strategic and I need to relocate out of the area.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Happiness Commando posted:

It looks like I'm getting sent to re:Invent as a vanguard to evaluate whether my company should send more people next year and be more interested in butt stuff. I am a total AWS neophyte.

Figure out how to get invited to the free parties for your sector. Tell people at aws you are being sent to evaluate a move to their butt over Azure and you want to chat with people. You're a growing company and sell this platform and want to make it turn key to lower the barrier to entry.

Get drunk at the craps table. Watch the livestreams from your hotel room.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

It's entirely possible they'll hollow out your company like a pumpkin, but when the job market is tight companies do buy other companies as much for their labor force as their IP or market share.

It's definitely going to be less laid back because being so laid back is what got you bought out, sorry.

Possibly, but let me clarify to say the whole company isn't laid back like that, just the 4 guys on my team (3 + manager). We are expected to respond to even off-hours stuff and do night/weekend work sometimes, but when there isn't anything major there's not busywork thrown at us.

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

I've been at $employer for ten years and after this acquisition I'm getting kinda depressed at being on a skeleton crew to keep the lights on for the old poo poo. I'm sick of pagers but don't know how to get out of this line of work without starting over at zero. Has anyone else figured this out? I assume Devops and SRE are the two main paths but every interview for those has a striking feeling of "we need fresh meat to soak up the alerts we're drowning in so the senior dudes don't quit."

I'm also sure that if I get a nice new laid back job I'll get laid off immediately when the economy crashes six months later.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have 100's of on-prem distribution groups that need to be removed or migrated to O365 so I can decommission our hybrid exchange server.

Is there an easy way to get some sort of usage report on these groups?

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

The Fool posted:

I have 100's of on-prem distribution groups that need to be removed or migrated to O365 so I can decommission our hybrid exchange server.

Are you removing Azure AD connect entirely in this scenario? It was my understanding that getting out of hybrid is an unsupported config per MS.

That aside, couldn’t you run a message trace on those group emails?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Spring Heeled Jack posted:

Are you removing Azure AD connect entirely in this scenario? It was my understanding that getting out of hybrid is an unsupported config per MS.
I am not, and that is also my understanding.

quote:

That aside, couldn’t you run a message trace on those group emails?

That is the current plan, it is just going to take an age.

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

H110Hawk posted:

This is also my re:Invent plan again this year.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

H110Hawk posted:

This except run manically from customer meeting to customer meeting, then hop in the rental car to go careening off into the Mojave at midnight to stand on the hood and look at the stars.

Also, it's fun to visit Goodsprings if you are a Fallout fan.

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read

The Fool posted:

I am not, and that is also my understanding.

That is the current plan, it is just going to take an age.

I bookmarked this from a little while ago (with the intention of going through the same process eventually): http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/thernandez/archive/2015/09/16/migrate-distribution-groups-from-exchange-on-premise-to-exchange-online/

Takkaryx
Oct 17, 2007

Bunnies (very useful) Scientific Facts: Bunnies never close doors
After trying and not getting into medical school, I finally :toot: got my first real IT job since working at my university's help desk! T2 deskside support with lots of opportunities for internal advancement and a strong culture of learning new things via the company paying for certs, seminars and boot camps! I'm so stoked.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

^^^ congrats, that sounds great! ^^^

Cut over to all new servers last night. Huge improvement for our environment, especially our VDIs. Any positive feedback from users? AHahahahahaa, of course not.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

The Fool posted:

Migrate everything you want, but you don't get to decommission your hybrid exchange server. Because reasons.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.
I’m interviewing for a “Network/telecommunications administrator” job on Monday. I’m pretty good on the telecom and basic networking stuff, but can anybody recommend anything I should familiarize myself prior to the technical interview?

I’ve touched basic corporate networking stuff and can stumble through setting firewall stuff, but wouldn’t like to get stumped. Job description doesn’t read like I’ll need to be an expert but ya never know. I’m pretty confident with my VoIP competency

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Transactions with credit card processor are failing at a 10% rate. Get on conference call and their tech mentions the certificate change they did on one server at 1pm on a loving Friday afternoon. Because he had a change ticket it's alright he proclaims. He says this only after he's backed out the change.

I want to buy that man a beer, but I'm not sure I'll ever see him again.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

At the rate our industry is starting to encrypt things (for the better), we are going to need to change that DNS haiku to certs.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Real hard to do a a haiku when the main word is four syllables

The Certificate?
But we just renewed the cert—
BAD CERTIFICATE

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Krispy Wafer posted:

Transactions with credit card processor are failing at a 10% rate. Get on conference call and their tech mentions the certificate change they did on one server at 1pm on a loving Friday afternoon. Because he had a change ticket it's alright he proclaims. He says this only after he's backed out the change.

I want to buy that man a beer, but I'm not sure I'll ever see him again.

The beer is for you, buddy.

Credit card processors and their technical staff can all burn. I had to roll back a driver change three loving times, bringing us up to hours before the deadline because nobody at the processor knew what hosts had to be whitelisted for OCSP to work. And this was working with a migration team. It makes me wonder if their other clients even have firewalls or if their PCI attestations are 100% bullshit.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kashuno posted:

The Certificate?
BAD CERTIFICATE

I think I'm in love.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
We had a contractor in helping with some stuff. He said he knew all about deploying Microsoft certs, wasn't what we got him in for, but we use ISE and I don't think he knew how it worked. He set up a new certificate, deleted the old CA from the domain controller without pushing the new one to all the PCs and didn't tell anyone he was doing the work.

Goodbye all 4500 PCs & 600 laptops. We use closed mode on the switches and didn't do MAB on PCs. Had to bodge importing the MAC addresses because we were on ISE 1.2 and it had a bug that stopped you importing devices into a group. That was not a fun evening.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Kashuno posted:

The Certificate?
BAD CERTIFICATE

That’s loving it, right there.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Why is WSUS such unmitigated garbage? And the new update methods they moved to definitely don't improve the situation.

Ugh.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
The average technology professional knows so little about certain that it’s loving frightening.

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Sickening posted:

The average technology professional knows so little about certain that it’s loving frightening.

It certainly is frightening.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I don’t know poo poo about certificates and I should probably fix that. What’s a good resource and certificates and certificate management

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

George H.W. oval office posted:

I don’t know poo poo about certificates and I should probably fix that. What’s a good resource and certificates and certificate management

Leaning OpenSSL backwards by googling how to use each module within it as needed until finally, after many hours aggregated with it, it finally clicks as a whole

im only like 10% joking tho

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sniep posted:

Leaning OpenSSL backwards by googling how to use each module within it as needed until finally, after many hours aggregated with it, it finally clicks as a whole

im only like 10% joking tho

This but 0% joking.

Roll your own CA with all the bells and whistles. Don't use an easy cheat script. Go through each step and understand it. At the end of it setup mutual authentication using nginx (server and client certs) which works with no warnings or errors.

Certs are nothing more than math and string comparisons.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

H110Hawk posted:

Certs are nothing more than math and string comparisons.

This is simultaneously the most accurate and least accurate description of certs that I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Wait what. Why? SSL is not that hard. It’s pretty easy to verify a cert.