Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Stepped out from work for another Giratina raid to catch one for my girlfriend, and got a bit more than I bargained for. Raid went well and got it for both accounts, so now I'm 2/2. Saw a 3 star raid starting in 90 seconds two (long) blocks away, so ran over in hopes it'd mean a few people to help make it easier, and it'd be a Gengar. Turned out to just be a Granbull and only one other person was there, but that also went fine.

Then I saw a Snorlax spawn 3 1/2 (long) blocks away, and I ended up running to make sure I got it. Golden berry + Ultra ball to ensure it... runs away immediately for me. Catches for my girlfriend's account though, and it has high CP and IV. Oh well, maybe I'll catch a Machop as consolation. Nope, also runs immediately. :(

On the way back, catch a bunch of assorted evolved Pokemon, all crap IV so just candy + stardust fodder, but I kept this Haunter to add to my collection:

And finally back at work, I catch Sneazel #10. I must have set the desire sensor off, because this one was finally decent instead of utter garbage.

Bonus themed gym:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I think they could pull off megaevolution if they have it consume candy/dust and you have to specify before combat. And not allowed in gyms.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...

Beachcomber posted:

I think they could pull off megaevolution if they have it consume candy/dust and you have to specify before combat. And not allowed in gyms.

I thought of this same idea except let people mega evolve anytime they want in the battle in case it's not looking too good. This would be a nice panic button in case people could only get small groups to raid, and also appropriately keeps it so that it costs something to people who only want to use mega evolution to solo/duo raids by themselves.

Up to them to decide how many candies it costs though, because on one end I would like to keep people from abusing it so it leads to more veteran players never helping out the average player in a raid ever again if they have just enough devices to play their alts and beat legendaries solo irl, but also not steep prices like the cost of candy that actual end form evolutions cost, like 100 candy.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
My phone was dying a slow death so I got a new one, but I kept using then old one to play an alt account and I've really gotten to like haveing two accounts live to duo easy raids and make hard raids easier to get a crew for, but my dying phone is all but dead at this point.

Does anyone have experience getting cheapo phones from Wish or it's ilk? I saw a few that were in the 40-50$ range that sounded like they'd be fine statwise but they aren't from flagship lines or anything they just say "Android phone" and the specs. I know I'll never be able to return it if it sucks so I was hoping someone else might have experience. All I really need is for it to be able to attach to a WiFi tether from my other phone, connect to Bluetooth for go+ and actually run Pogo.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Parrotine posted:

Oh so just like the regular games, got it

I keep battling Wishy Fishy and being like "omg he looks so cool I'm real intimidated :ohdear:" then I remember he sucks and just use Giga Drain on him and he dies

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!

Willsun posted:

I thought of this same idea except let people mega evolve anytime they want in the battle in case it's not looking too good. This would be a nice panic button in case people could only get small groups to raid, and also appropriately keeps it so that it costs something to people who only want to use mega evolution to solo/duo raids by themselves.

Up to them to decide how many candies it costs though, because on one end I would like to keep people from abusing it so it leads to more veteran players never helping out the average player in a raid ever again if they have just enough devices to play their alts and beat legendaries solo irl, but also not steep prices like the cost of candy that actual end form evolutions cost, like 100 candy.

My Mega Evolution Idea is that you should be able to "craft" a Mega Stone with 100 candies. Now any time you send, say, a Gengar, there'll be an option kinda near the charge attack button to Mega Evolve.

You can Mega Evolve once in battle, it'll be a pretty strong pokemon, but ultimately the difference in power of going from a decent pokemon to a good legendary. The stone doesn't need to be equipped or anything, so if you have a bug-focused Scizor and a steel-focusd Scizor, whoever you call out for what you need in that raid/gym will be ready to Mega Evolve regardless.

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

pile of brown posted:

Does anyone have experience getting cheapo phones from Wish or it's ilk? I saw a few that were in the 40-50$ range that sounded like they'd be fine statwise but they aren't from flagship lines or anything they just say "Android phone" and the specs. I know I'll never be able to return it if it sucks so I was hoping someone else might have experience. All I really need is for it to be able to attach to a WiFi tether from my other phone, connect to Bluetooth for go+ and actually run Pogo.
Most of the no-name brand Android phones can't run Pokemon Go because they are rooted or contain some other modifications not approved by Google, and it'll therefore come up with a "device is not supported" error. There is a pretty strict check (called SafetyNet I think?), and unfortunately it's quite difficult to find information about which phones pass it. I found that the cheap Motorola phones were the best option (though appearently the newest cheapest ones have Android Go and I don't know if that works). But I also saw a lot of people running around with some Chinese phone (Xiaomi?) that can run two instances of PoGo at once in split screen.

Entropist fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Nov 1, 2018

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I keep battling Wishy Fishy and being like "omg he looks so cool I'm real intimidated :ohdear:" then I remember he sucks and just use Giga Drain on him and he dies

No HP and an embarrassingly shallow movepool, what a waste of a phenomenal design. It's like buying a Lamborghini for grocery runs, what's the point

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

My mega theory is that it would activate just like the regular games, but can only equip one stone or have a single evo during a raid. Having a Seal Team Six of Mega RayRays would blow the doors right off the handles with any challenge in raids

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Even with the Halloween event, I still get plenty of Turtwigs and the occasional Chimchar. But it's been over a week since I've seen a Piplup. Annoying!

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Parrotine posted:

My mega theory is that it would activate just like the regular games, but can only equip one stone or have a single evo during a raid. Having a Seal Team Six of Mega RayRays would blow the doors right off the handles with any challenge in raids

That would make it so every raid comes down to a button mashing game of "who can mega evolve first." And then, only the person with the fastest performing phone that loads the battle would be able to mega evolve first every single time.

It's like that one Mario Party game where it's like Jeopardy and they assumed the players would wait for the question to modestly come out before ringing in, but everyone just button mashes to ring in first and then guess the answer randomly or otherwise you'll never get a turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXCVUrFJU3g

That clip shows how the game ends up being played realistically. The game would have worked if the answers weren't multiple-choice and people can just buzz in as many times as they can for a shot at a 33% chance to get it right. Point being, if mega evolutions were one per raid at no cost, you'll probably only ever get to mega evolve your own Pokemon when you solo a raid.

Either consumable items or spending candies would make people think twice about mega evolving and trying to overkill a raid with all Mega Rayquaza.

Willsun fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Nov 1, 2018

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.
I guess they meant mega-evolving one out of your line-up of 6, not mega-evolving one out of all the players in total.

LumpyGumby
Feb 22, 2012

"Here's the world famous hockey player sitting in the penalty box for slashing..."
-Snoopy Brown
42g - 65a - 107pts
106gp - 317PIMS
Went out late last night with the girlfriend to do general Halloween hijinks and look for a shiny duskull or shiny drifloom.

Not bad, I'll take it!

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Entropist posted:

I guess they meant mega-evolving one out of your line-up of 6, not mega-evolving one out of all the players in total.

I mean yeah I guess this all comes down to how conservative or encouraging they want to be with players doing mega evolutions. They can be hypervigilant about preventing people from beating raids too easily (boost not too big, candy/item cost), or they'll try to promote it as much as possible (bosses possibly can't be beaten without some players mega evolving, no cost to use).

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

My Mega Evolution Idea is that you should be able to "craft" a Mega Stone with 100 candies. Now any time you send, say, a Gengar, there'll be an option kinda near the charge attack button to Mega Evolve.

You can Mega Evolve once in battle, it'll be a pretty strong pokemon, but ultimately the difference in power of going from a decent pokemon to a good legendary. The stone doesn't need to be equipped or anything, so if you have a bug-focused Scizor and a steel-focusd Scizor, whoever you call out for what you need in that raid/gym will be ready to Mega Evolve regardless.

I like this idea. A one time candy investment is much better than spending candy or dust each time. Having a per use cost is a massive disincentive and would discourage people from trying new megas.

And of course there’s going to a one mega per person per battle limit like the main series. I don’t think the Pokémon company would allow Niantic to break that rule. And they’re not going to be gym defenders since mega stones require a trainer to activate. And yes, multiple players should be able to mega evolve in the same raid.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Did Niantic fire the person who does splash screens? We've now been through Halloween and the release of a new generation with absolutely nothing. Isn't changing up splash screens like f2p mobile games 101?

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 47 hours!
In true GAME FREAK fashion, you can only transfer one Meltan Box from Pokemon Let's Go per week.

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
Waited until 1:01 PST to claim my 7th day of research to get a Shedinja... got a loving Moltres?!

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

:siren: From Discord I'm hearing reports of Moltres for the field (edit) research instead of Shedinja. So maybe don't turn in your last task unless you want a Moltres.

edit2: appears to be fixed now

tangy yet delightful fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Nov 1, 2018

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
aaaaaaaahahahhah that owns.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
I did mine as soon as I saw the alert because I wanted a fun bonus moltres, but it had already been fixed at 1:09 lol

goml23
Jan 31, 2001

Fatass
fuuuuuuuuuccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkk

Beastyfella
Mar 5, 2008

I have lost all powers of reading comprehension and counting ability hours ago
One person on our discord got a shiny Moltres. Not too bad for her. I've just gotten used to never doing anything until I see confirmation on Reddit

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."
Glad I held off for a little bit then

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
fuckin lmao a whole month of it

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

But what does it DO?! :allears:

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I got one too, tried it out in a gym and it instantly died to a blissey

What's the deal with this thing

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

It translates super badly to pokemon go.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

mastershakeman posted:

In the real games it has an ability that causes it to only take damage from super effective attacks, but it only has 1 HP. Since there’s no abilities in Go it just dies uselessly from anything.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Hey Niantic buffed the HP on it tenfold! That’s an enormous buff. Imagine Blissey getting half that kind of buff.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
:siren: I'm going to open gifts and hit Ultra Friends with a bunch of goons at 6:00PM (CDT) so pop a lucky egg as soon as you open your game:

Balk88
bobjr8
DarkGrapefruit
nova2007
patwmurr
potsie001
r1vls
Teamkiger
TheTrueMcCheese
TikkiTakki

If this is too soon of a warning I can push the time back.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
in the game it was also supposed to be a semi-secret pokemon that you could get by having an empty space in your party when you evolve nincada into ninjask -- neither of which are in the game yet

I don't know why they're specifically only releasing shedinja instead of releasing nincada and having some alternate way to get shedinja?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'm level 40 so I don't really care, but Mithalas, KarpMcPoyle, PoppingFresh22, you're coming up on Best Friend status in the next few days. I'm going to send you all gifts the next few days instead of me opening yours so you can time your lucky eggs for when you want.

TankSinatra1, you're coming up on Ultra Friend tomorrow, feel free to open the gift I sent you whenever's convenient for you so you can get 2x experience.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Nincada is available in research tasks

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Did they really give it nothing to compensate for Wonder Guard other than +9hp?

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I don't care if he doesn't work like he's supposed to, I love my little Cicada husk bro.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

Dr. Abysmal posted:

In the real games it has an ability that causes it to only take damage from super effective attacks, but it only has 1 HP. Since there’s no abilities in Go it just dies uselessly from anything.

Just a reminder that this is how Niantic will treat all of the special Pokemon with unique abilities even if it looks like they're withholding releasing them as if they're working on something special: everything will be a mediocre ball of HP with moves that do mediocre damage.

Ditto looks like an exception until you realize all it does is copy stats of its opponent, and just spawn a weaker version of it. Nothing that requires changing a mindless tapping battle, and fits into the mediocre ball result of Niantic-made special Pokemon. Delibird's move Present is also just a special model for the projectile and nothing more. Smeargle's gonna be the same and they're just taking 1 year+ to come up with a projectile model that looks like a paint streak/splash.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Dr Tran posted:

Nincada is available in research tasks

I don't know what region gets these but it sure as poo poo ain't Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzureSkye
Mar 4, 2010
Awww, frik. I'd have taken a moltres. Missed the research breakthrough for it and raid day :(

I was one houndour/poochyena off of being able to turn in as soon as it was sposed to roll over. Ah well.