Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It’s like watching an accident take place in front of you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTk81HGb2s

Dr?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Mister Kingdom posted:

It looks like a mutant Corvair.

00's Tbird originally, I meant

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

When I was in high school I noticed that most people have learned to instinctively anticipate that little jerk and rock backwards as the car comes to a complete stop. Watch a passenger closely sometime, and you'll see that they lean forwards a little bit just before it happens so that their head doesn't hit the headrest. It's subtle but unmistakable once you see it, and it's completely unconscious.

Realizing that, whenever I was bored and driving with a passenger I would try to bring my car to all the stops super, super carefully, tapering off the brake more and more so that the jerk never happens. People still anticipate it and start leaning forwards at the appropriate time, but because it never comes, they just hold that position for a few seconds until they snap out of it and sit back up with a slightly confused expression. Once in a blue moon you'll get someone (helps if they're distracted by their phone) who just keeps leaning more and more forwards, preparing for the stop, until the seat belt starts to hang them up.

Great fun.
Lol, what a low grade sociopathic thing to do

Don't get me wrong though I'd find it hilarious

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

When I was in high school I noticed that most people have learned to instinctively anticipate that little jerk and rock backwards as the car comes to a complete stop. Watch a passenger closely sometime, and you'll see that they lean forwards a little bit just before it happens so that their head doesn't hit the headrest. It's subtle but unmistakable once you see it, and it's completely unconscious.

Realizing that, whenever I was bored and driving with a passenger I would try to bring my car to all the stops super, super carefully, tapering off the brake more and more so that the jerk never happens. People still anticipate it and start leaning forwards at the appropriate time, but because it never comes, they just hold that position for a few seconds until they snap out of it and sit back up with a slightly confused expression. Once in a blue moon you'll get someone (helps if they're distracted by their phone) who just keeps leaning more and more forwards, preparing for the stop, until the seat belt starts to hang them up.

Great fun.

Do Mercedes / BMW still have an anti-jerk feature in their brakes?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Charles posted:

Do Mercedes / BMW still have an anti-jerk feature in their brakes?

It would be nice if they could put one in the driver's seat.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Deteriorata posted:

:golfclap:

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Deteriorata posted:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Deteriorata posted:

:vince:

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Audi needs that poo poo too.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat that was a clean alley-oop

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Deteriorata posted:

Seriously though I never noticed passengers leaning forward like that. I'll have to watch for it when I have someone other than my GF in the car. It's rare that I have anyone else as a passenger and she's used to me stopping very smoothly so maybe she doesn't do it.

Disgruntled Bovine fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Oct 31, 2018

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My driving teacher taught me to release the brakes at the very last moment and coast the last inch or so to a stop. Been doing it without thought for decades, thought of it as proper car handling and nothing more until I got my (current) first car with an automatic tranny. I can't be arsed to put it in neutral at every stop so now I just live with the jerk.
:smith:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Just let off the brakes a little as you come to a stop, it's really not hard???

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You can still get a no-jerk stop if you ease off the brakes slightly just before you come to a stop. Obviously in an auto you can't totally lift your foot but you can train yourself to get the same effect by lifting, say, 30%.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Lightbulb Out posted:

Just let off the brakes a little as you come to a stop, it's really not hard???

Oh, I do the best I can. Still, with an auto in drive you gotta apply the brakes for the car to stop. There will be a tiny jerk if the brakes are applied at all when the car stops. If you coast the last bit without any brakes in neutral or with the clutch down there's zero noticable jerk.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Nah, I firmly believe you can limo stop most autos, same lift-off technique to balance out the front end.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Great fun.

I had a roommate who would not do this and would just ragdoll around the car within the confines of his seatbelt. It was very bizarre.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

FogHelmut posted:

I had a roommate who would not do this and would just ragdoll around the car within the confines of his seatbelt. It was very bizarre.

My mom does this too, it's super weird and unsettling.
I always stop autos without jerking unless I'm in a panic stop, the little lift is so deeply ingrained into my driving habits it's really difficult to even get a jerk.

Turbo Fondant fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Oct 31, 2018

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I pretty much always do the no jerk stop. My dad always jokingly complained about whiplash when I was learning to drive with him, so it just became second nature. Looking around me it seems like most people don't do it though, and none of my friends do it. I taught my GF to do it because it really isn't nice to get jerked forward all the time as a passenger.
Most satisfying is doing it when coming to a stop quickly.

Speaking of my friends driving. While I'm not afraid, it can get very frustrating do be a passenger with them. One of them can block the left lane (out of 2) for 20 minutes straight and fail to notice the angry Audi driver 2 inches behind him. He then gets surprised when he gets undertaken by 3 cars. The other one I have in mind can do phone stuff out of the blue and generally get distracted. Both don't like being told off neither. I've given up.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I'm the old guy that approaches stop lights like a video game because I hate jerk stops.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I treat the throttle and brake as digital inputs and thus have enormous neck muscles with which to crush you nerds.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
i thought every car enthusiast feathers the brake for the smoothest stop possible

then i rode with my friend in his WRX

Deteriorata posted:

lmao

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Deteriorata posted:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Deteriorata posted:

beautiful

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Not gonna lie if that is an engineered panel that is used to hide the fuel filler exclusively for aesthetics, I cannot hate that.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's called a fuel door. That's the world's largest fuel door.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

I would so put a piano hinge and overcenter latches on that motherfucker.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Jonny Nox posted:

Not gonna lie if that is an engineered panel that is used to hide the fuel filler exclusively for aesthetics, I cannot hate that.

No you should definitely hate it because it's a non-m car with a bad body kit and poorly fitted wheels (especially up front)

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Nov 1, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/pEviIfh.mp4

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

NumbersMatching320 posted:

I would so put a piano hinge and overcenter latches on that motherfucker.

There is a certain beauty to it.

Add in Lucas electronics to activate the latches.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Memento posted:

Cleaning interior plastics

I really wanted there to be sound with this.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

IPCRESS posted:

Yeah I right clicked on it in hope

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

IPCRESS posted:

It was a facebook video, and it was just the redneck driver commenting sarcastically on what was happening. Pretty disappointing actually :(

More content:

Wall collapse at the Morton Salt factory, click for big. How hosed are those cars? Like, proper hosed, super hosed?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Depends how humid it is? Penalty scratched to hell and crushed regardless.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
I dunno.

I can imagine the slow, even covering of the salt not doing much damage - maybe a gentle pushing-in of the larger panels.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The bricks didn't just vanish, so they're all proper hosed.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Powershift posted:

The bricks didn't just vanish, so they're all proper hosed.

I was thinking the same thing. It's just insalt to the thousands of pounds of brick injury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That Works posted:

I was thinking the same thing. It's just insalt to the thousands of pounds of brick injury.

I read that word properly then came back to make this joke. gently caress you, well done. :hfive: