Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Toshimo posted:

lolnope it feels totally epic going from 9 HP at level 1 to 12 HP at level 2 while everyone else is high rolling and the DM is going "Well, good thing you guys will be able to take a hit now"

The DM was gloating at how he TPK'ed his other party because the wizard highrolled init and then burning hands the entire party for more than their max HP turn 1.

Probably because Greater Restoration is the spell that fixes it (or lolwish) and that costs 450gp which a level 1 party sure as gently caress doesn't have.

Your DM sounds like kind of an rear end in a top hat.

But taking a debt sounds better then being Brain Dead. Like I think any good aligned temple in the city would allow a loan. Fixing the problem in exchange for being payed back later.

Toshimo posted:

But the DM has a real hard-on for flanking.

He uses the flanking optional rules? Man a lot of advantage is going to get passed out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Yeah, this isn't going so well in general.

Ohhhhhhh boy, you have the Tummyfeelz GM.

I mean I guess if you figure out what they think is Correct Playing you're in for a smooth ride... if you also have the correct setup for Correct Playing.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Darwinism posted:

Ohhhhhhh boy, you have the Tummyfeelz GM.

I mean I guess if you figure out what they think is Correct Playing you're in for a smooth ride... if you also have the correct setup for Correct Playing.

Not gonna happen.

Highlights:
  • Standard Array: "I've seen too many people do broken stuff with point buy."
  • Rolled Gold
  • I'm a Yuan-Ti Pureblood: That apparently means that EVERYONE IN WATERDEEP wants to start poo poo with me because I am a snakeman.
  • My snakeman thing is a forked tongue. As a healer, I wear a plague doctor outfit. Now people say they can't trust me unless I take my mask off.
  • And when I take my mask off they immediately freak out about my tongue.
  • 10ft diagonals
  • Spending 15 minutes looking at a picture of the yawning portal playing the guessing game "Do you recognize this npc?"
  • Multiple instances of "You didn't say you were x" where x is ~moving stealthily/holding a weapon/being careful/etc.~
  • At least 3 times each combat discussing whether or not weapons are drawn and how many hands are being used.
  • "I carefully set down the hooded lantern."
  • "You're untrained in that so you only learn this much despite your roll. Does someone trained want to try?"
  • "I'm going to hold my action to;" "You can't ~hold~ an action you have to ~ready~ an action!!" "- cast Sacred Flame if the dwarf enters line of sight."
  • "You guys are covered in poo poo and the inn won't let you in. What contacts do you have in the city that would let you clean yourselves up?" "I'm a snakeman I don't give a gently caress." "But, can't you, you know, taste it?"

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Our party is amazing though.

• Vhuman Weapon Master Paladin
  • Stout Halfling Dex Prot Fighter
  • Halfling Rogue
  • Snakeman Celestial Warlock

I'm the only one without a negative Int mod. Mine is zero.

The DM has gotten a little huffy about my lack of interest in rolling dice. Like one time I had an opportunity attack, but I'm unarmed with a negative strength mod and I was like "nope, my snakeman doesn't really get down with punching fleeing foes" and he was like "wuh huh?!?" and he's a little miffed that I'm not down with arcana or other int stuff because he seems to think ~all spellcasters are a flavor of wizard~ and how dare I not be interested in the mystical arts. MOTHERFUCKER I MADE A DARK PACT WITH A RADIANT BEING OF PURE GOODNESS BY ACCIDENT WHILE TRYING TO ATTAIN WORLD-SUBJUGATING POWER. I AM PRETTY NONPLUSSED BY THE WHOLE THING AND I'M NOT loving HARRY POTTER SO NO I DON'T GIVE A poo poo ABOUT SOME DUDE'S SPELLBOOK OR WHATEVER.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Toshimo posted:

~all spellcasters are a flavor of wizard~

MOTHERFUCKER I MADE A DARK PACT WITH A RADIANT BEING OF PURE GOODNESS BY ACCIDENT WHILE TRYING TO ATTAIN WORLD-SUBJUGATING POWER. I AM PRETTY NONPLUSSED BY THE WHOLE THING

Right in the feels.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Our party is amazing though.

• Vhuman Weapon Master Paladin
  • Stout Halfling Dex Prot Fighter
  • Halfling Rogue
  • Snakeman Celestial Warlock

I'm the only one without a negative Int mod. Mine is zero.

The DM has gotten a little huffy about my lack of interest in rolling dice. Like one time I had an opportunity attack, but I'm unarmed with a negative strength mod and I was like "nope, my snakeman doesn't really get down with punching fleeing foes" and he was like "wuh huh?!?" and he's a little miffed that I'm not down with arcana or other int stuff because he seems to think ~all spellcasters are a flavor of wizard~ and how dare I not be interested in the mystical arts. MOTHERFUCKER I MADE A DARK PACT WITH A RADIANT BEING OF PURE GOODNESS BY ACCIDENT WHILE TRYING TO ATTAIN WORLD-SUBJUGATING POWER. I AM PRETTY NONPLUSSED BY THE WHOLE THING AND I'M NOT loving HARRY POTTER SO NO I DON'T GIVE A poo poo ABOUT SOME DUDE'S SPELLBOOK OR WHATEVER.

I think 5e is a trash game and even I think it's your GM thats the problem. gently caress me, I assume my current bard who acts like a paladin (cause hes warlord) would piss this guy off a thousand fold. He does not sing, he does not dance, he wears full plate and wields a greatsword.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

kingcom posted:

I think 5e is a trash game and even I think it's your GM thats the problem.

This case is a trash game/module and trash GM in a feedback loop.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does that GM do anything well enough to make up for the litany of ways that they suck?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Elysiume posted:

Does that GM do anything well enough to make up for the litany of ways that they suck?

He's enthusiastic!

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Enthusiastic is the best.

If you complain about anything, you are the fun-ruining rear end in a top hat!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
If we get to the next page without someone spotting the problem with that party list, I'm gonna be heckin' mad, tho.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Conspiratiorist posted:

Enthusiastic is the best.

If you complain about anything, you are the fun-ruining rear end in a top hat!

This.

I get stunlocked then KO'd before my first turn in the final encounter, and I'm a whiny rear end in a top hat for mentioning, after the game, that I was pretty disappointed that "Can someone come help me up?" was my entire contribution to the final epic battle, and I spent an hour and a half being bored with what should have been awesome.

But everyone else was energetically enthusiastic about the session? No fuckin' poo poo, I wonder what was different about their experience?

e: Wow, I just realised I've got a "why didn't you come back, you had a good time" email from that guy. I'm just gonna ignore it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 1, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Rolled stats: Your all 11's stat array means ROLEPLAY OPPORTUNITY! Pay no attention to the fact only people who liked rolled stats get good numbers, as demanded by the cruel whims of fate.

Point buy: Being physically incapable of getting higher than a +3 modifier to start? Pretty OP.

Toshimo posted:

If we get to the next page without someone spotting the problem with that party list, I'm gonna be heckin' mad, tho.
Nobody went for your all snakemen party gimmick, which is just rude. What could have been :allears:

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Healers are OP bullshit anyway, real men shout their hands back on

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Section Z posted:

Nobody went for your all snakemen party gimmick, which is just rude. What could have been :allears:

They aren't snakemen... yet! I forgot the part where the DM was all like "you're not EEEVIL are you?" and I was like "Ya, but I'm a loving healer, so it's not really a stab you in the balls kind of evil, it's a ALL WILL BE MADE TO SERVE THE SNAKE PEOPLE (AND BY THAT I MEAN ME) IN TIME evil."

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Darwinism posted:

Healers are OP bullshit anyway, real men shout their hands back on

The DM also seemed non-plussed somehow that my class feature heal was a bonus action, as if HEALING WORD didn't already exist.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Toshimo posted:

They aren't snakemen... yet! I forgot the part where the DM was all like "you're not EEEVIL are you?" and I was like "Ya, but I'm a loving healer, so it's not really a stab you in the balls kind of evil, it's a ALL WILL BE MADE TO SERVE THE SNAKE PEOPLE (AND BY THAT I MEAN ME) IN TIME evil."
A professional! My favorite kind of evil.

Nobody would complain about Evil party members if there were more like you. You are doing snake god's work.

I would sign away my legs to my new lord and master who keeps my innards inside, rather than deal with a Paladin distrustful me because I own a pair of lockpicks.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 1, 2018

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

kingcom posted:

I think 5e is a trash game and even I think it's your GM thats the problem. gently caress me, I assume my current bard who acts like a paladin (cause hes warlord) would piss this guy off a thousand fold. He does not sing, he does not dance, he wears full plate and wields a greatsword.

Go On. Tell me more.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Is the mistake that you aren't an Ancients Paladin for crazy anti-magic stuff at 7th level?

I mean between a Paladin and a Celestial Warlock you might have enough healing.

frajaq posted:

hi

I'm thinking about running a 5e PbP game here on SA but I have a few questions before actually doing it

Currently how easy is the access of players (new or not) to resources for character creation for 5e stuff? By now I imagine there's a lot of splatbooks/alternate archetypes for classes, etc etc

I see that this Orc Pub 2.0 character generator has some stuff but it seems it's only the basic barebones content? I always want to allow as much as possible so my players can do whatever they want with character concepts but it would be kinda bad if they only have to rely on :filez: or something

Sadly there isn't actually a lot of new content beyond the PHB. A few subclasses in a book here or there, but very few, a number of new races in various books, absolutely no new official classes yet. Some feats in a book or two, and spells out the wazoo from multiple books because of course.

That said if you are willing to allow homebrew or 3rd party you might get some more options. Like I am currently playing a Warforged Warsmith Artificer using the Revised Artificer homebrew someone put out, another character is playing another Artificer archetype and the two characters are rather different. It is a great class and probably a lot better than the official Artificer whenever that finally gets finalized. Speaking of Mearls has been claiming it would be coming out to another UA again soon, for months.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ryuujin posted:

Is the mistake that you aren't an Ancients Paladin for crazy anti-magic stuff at 7th level?

I mean between a Paladin and a Celestial Warlock you might have enough healing.

Since this is a WDH HB and only level 1-5, I'm going to go with no.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The party mistake is that you have four players and not zero.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

ProfessorCirno posted:

The party mistake is that you have four players and not zero.

Yeah, start at zero, non-plus so it stays at zero, go play in a better campaign

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Toshimo posted:

I thought Weapon Master Paladin needn't even be addressed but it seems to actually be going right over everyone's heads.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Stories like these makes me glad that my GM is just an alcoholic. What you lose in coherence, you gain from returning their bottles for money. :haw:

Does 5th edition have some sort of minion rules? Last week we our 4th lvl party faced 12 regular zombies, which was mainly tedious work and no challenge.
GM kept rolling each zombie one by one.. 22hp tracked individually, death saves and stuff. Most of them on web area? Roll individually...
Any good rules or houserules for situations like that?

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

RC Cola posted:

Our level 1 encounters with 3 level 1 PCs.
A zombie and 2 imps.
5 ghouls.
2 ghouls and 2 cultists whatever that means.
I have now been hit by a 24 and a 25 to hit at level 1. I was just hit and hit again and failed a save and was swallowed in our 4th encounter against some 'wurms'

Now, again, the CR rules are trash. Nevertheless, if this guy had done his job he would've used them and discovered that for this party, 300 xp is considered Deadly.

These encounters are, respectively, 900 xp, 2000 xp, and 900 xp again. Even if the the system isn't accurate, when the formula spits out "2000 xp", you should really stop and re-examine what you're doing.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

The way I've house ruled damage in my most recent game is for every multiple of your CON in negative damage you took that counts as one failed death check.

So CON 12 , reduced to -13. Start rolling as usual but with one failed death check 'marked off'
So CON12, reduced to -24. As above with two checks failed, one more failure will kill you.
So CON 12, reduced to -36. Instantly dead.

Of course this all became academic the moment the party cleric learnt revivify.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sage Genesis posted:

Now, again, the CR rules are trash. Nevertheless, if this guy had done his job he would've used them and discovered that for this party, 300 xp is considered Deadly.

These encounters are, respectively, 900 xp, 2000 xp, and 900 xp again. Even if the the system isn't accurate, when the formula spits out "2000 xp", you should really stop and re-examine what you're doing.

Update. 'died' inside the worm. The DM forced me to not be dead. So now I have 1 eye and am covered head to toe in deadpool burns. So now I'm gonna figure out the mental state of my fresh level 2 paladin.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Conspiratiorist posted:

I thought Weapon Master Paladin needn't even be addressed but it seems to actually be going right over everyone's heads.

That's a bingo.

"I wanted the extra Strength."

(now has 15 STR)

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette

adhuin posted:

Does 5th edition have some sort of minion rules? Last week we our 4th lvl party faced 12 regular zombies, which was mainly tedious work and no challenge.
GM kept rolling each zombie one by one.. 22hp tracked individually, death saves and stuff. Most of them on web area? Roll individually...
Any good rules or houserules for situations like that?

The official way is in the DMG under the combat chapter. It sucks. It's just for fudging attack rolls based on the number of attackers vs 1 defender. Doesn't help with tracking HP or saves for a ton of things. So don't do that.

Another way is narratively. "There's a bigass swarm of zombies, what do you do?" Don't actually go into combat but go around the table and get generic actions, maybe roll a few dice, maybe dock them a hit die to represent the spent effort if things go badly. If they flee maybe do a chase scene with a few skill checks to get away.

If you really want to run that sort of fight I would probably make it a swarm. Take the swarm of rats from the back of the MM as an example. Make it 5x5 grid size and call it a fuckload of zombies. Go to the quick stats table in the DMG, give it the generic HP and damage of a CR4 since you were level 4. Note the special stuff swarms get (HP are lower but will feel high thanks to resistance. damage starts above the range but is halved at 1/2 HP). Done.

60HP, AC14, resists all weapon damage, immune to most conditions
Action: Brains! +5 to hit, 10d6 damage. Halve to 5d6 damage when the swarm reaches half HP.
Swarm: can occupy another's space, can move through any opening large enough for a single zombie, blah blah

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Toshimo posted:

Not gonna happen.

Highlights:
  • Rolled Gold
  • I'm a Yuan-Ti Pureblood: That apparently means that EVERYONE IN WATERDEEP wants to start poo poo with me because I am a snakeman.
  • My snakeman thing is a forked tongue. As a healer, I wear a plague doctor outfit. Now people say they can't trust me unless I take my mask off.
  • 10ft diagonals
  • Spending 15 minutes looking at a picture of the yawning portal playing the guessing game "Do you recognize this npc?"
  • Multiple instances of "You didn't say you were x" where x is ~moving stealthily/holding a weapon/being careful/etc.~
  • At least 3 times each combat discussing whether or not weapons are drawn and how many hands are being used.
  • "You're untrained in that so you only learn this much despite your roll. Does someone trained want to try?"
  • "I'm going to hold my action to;" "You can't ~hold~ an action you have to ~ready~ an action!!" "- cast Sacred Flame if the dwarf enters line of sight."
  • "You guys are covered in poo poo and the inn won't let you in. What contacts do you have in the city that would let you clean yourselves up?" "I'm a snakeman I don't give a gently caress." "But, can't you, you know, taste it?"

:sever:

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
This sounds like a Good and Fun DM. Too bad you’re just a filthy casual who doesn’t see the GENIUS of his DM’ing style.

:smug:

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

ritorix posted:

The official way is in the DMG under the combat chapter. It sucks. It's just for fudging attack rolls based on the number of attackers vs 1 defender. Doesn't help with tracking HP or saves for a ton of things. So don't do that.

Another way is narratively. "There's a bigass swarm of zombies, what do you do?" Don't actually go into combat but go around the table and get generic actions, maybe roll a few dice, maybe dock them a hit die to represent the spent effort if things go badly. If they flee maybe do a chase scene with a few skill checks to get away.

If you really want to run that sort of fight I would probably make it a swarm. Take the swarm of rats from the back of the MM as an example. Make it 5x5 grid size and call it a fuckload of zombies. Go to the quick stats table in the DMG, give it the generic HP and damage of a CR4 since you were level 4. Note the special stuff swarms get (HP are lower but will feel high thanks to resistance. damage starts above the range but is halved at 1/2 HP). Done.

60HP, AC14, resists all weapon damage, immune to most conditions
Action: Brains! +5 to hit, 10d6 damage. Halve to 5d6 damage when the swarm reaches half HP.
Swarm: can occupy another's space, can move through any opening large enough for a single zombie, blah blah

that's one mean TPK machine. None of the party members have enough HP to take a single average hit from that and Wizard and Warlock would have good change to be Instakilled by a single attack!
I mean, it probably don't hit the plate/shield guys, but if it does? Down they go.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Yeah loving hell, I'd lower that to 4d6 at most, enough to do damage but not enough to insta-gib.

I'd also put in a home rule that swarms can't crit, but this doesn't matter much if you don't openly roll your dice anyway.

As for minion stuff, saw a post recently and I know reddit blah-blah Colville blah-blah. It's overall good stuff, gives a decent framework, and emphasizes customizing minions to what you need. They all have 1 HP, but the threat they pose varies. https://old.reddit.com/r/mattcolville/comments/9st2ns/manual_of_merciless_mooks_and_minions/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Curious how you folks would resolve this:

Campaign of 4 people, out of game friends for decades. One guy (player A) has a pretty miserable life and I always insist he play with us to use escapism as stress relief

At the same time he's always been the type of player who insists on having an individual conversation with every npc we ever meet. We know this and are ok with it for the most part even though im a notoriously impatient player

Lately he's gotten worse and worse, and despite us talking to him out of game, the DM talking to him out of game it isn't making things better. We're near the point where we want to kick his character out of the party but there would be in game repercussions for that plus more importantly it would destroy him mentally

How do you best go about keeping a party member from going off the rails surreptitiously? Again, personal life is in shambles so I want things to work out but resentment is building up

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Sounds like ultimatum time. As always, continue to deal with player issues OOC. Not much else you can do. If you’re looking for ways to convince him of the problem, you could try using a timer to quantify the issue or otherwise showing him the unequal distribution of talk time in the group. I tell my groups that for n players each person should feel as though they’re getting 1/n of the attention but it sounds like you’ve already spoken to him at length.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Kaysette posted:

Sounds like ultimatum time. As always, continue to deal with player issues OOC. Not much else you can do. If you’re looking for ways to convince him of the problem, you could try using a timer to quantify the issue or otherwise showing him the unequal distribution of talk time in the group. I tell my groups that for n players each person should feel as though they’re getting 1/n of the attention but it sounds like you’ve already spoken to him at length.

Timer is a great idea.

DM spoke with him a few weeks ago about how we only have time for so many side plots vs main plots. He took that as our main plot must be made subservient to his side plots so he can do both at once, which obviously isn't what any reasonable person would think. So yeah I'll time his "ok I go off alone to talk to npcs" time and figure that out over the course of a few sessions , should help a lot

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Toshimo posted:

Not gonna happen.

Highlights:
  • Rolled Gold
  • 10ft diagonals

I take it from this tale I should use Point-Buy for my game

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Point buy or standard array. Rolling dice is dumb and lame and we should remove it from the game entirely imo.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

frajaq posted:

I take it from this tale I should use Point-Buy for my game

It's not a huge deal but even Adventurer's League allows standard array or point buy. It's definitely not broken or OP.

Don't roll for stats.

e: beaten like a cr0 shitposter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
What're 5e's points for point buy? I think 4d6-drop-1 is equivalent to 32, so I'm guessing less than that