Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's a gross sentiment that's far too common, but doesn't seem to be accurate in the case of Lau. But I'm all for reducing the political power of anti-Zionist Haredim (who Lau was responding to) in favor of secular Zionists.

Doesn't seem inaccurate

quote:

The reporter pressed onward, intent on nabbing this headline — “But it was indeed a synagogue?”
Read more: https://forward.com/life/faith/413035/israel-chief-rabbi-didnt-dismiss-conservative-synagogues-stop-twisting/

All dood had to do was say "yes". I feel this author is actually crying about the growing rift between Israel and the rest of us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Kim Jong Il posted:

It's a gross sentiment that's far too common, but doesn't seem to be accurate in the case of Lau. But I'm all for reducing the political power of anti-Zionist Haredim (who Lau was responding to) in favor of secular Zionists.

He's clearly dodging the question, and the fact that he insists on drawing that religious distinction even as he drops platitudes about unity says it all. It's the same old stunt religious Israelis always pull - when they want to use threats against us to show how oppressed they are, they say we Diaspora Jews are as Jewish as they are, but try paying a visit to Jerusalem and suddenly we're just Gentiles who merely pretend to call ourselves Jews.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Main Paineframe posted:

He's clearly dodging the question, and the fact that he insists on drawing that religious distinction even as he drops platitudes about unity says it all. It's the same old stunt religious Israelis always pull - when they want to use threats against us to show how oppressed they are, they say we Diaspora Jews are as Jewish as they are, but try paying a visit to Jerusalem and suddenly we're just Gentiles who merely pretend to call ourselves Jews.

yea don't play his game. Israeli Jews want us Diaspora Jews to exist only until we get to Israel and boost the population count, after that we're just a bunch of gentiles who don't know ~True Judaism~. He's just doing what tons of others like him do and actively erasing the existence of non-orthodox, zionist, Jews.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Fascist gently caress.

qkkl
Jul 1, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

sexpig by night posted:

yea don't play his game. Israeli Jews want us Diaspora Jews to exist only until we get to Israel and boost the population count, after that we're just a bunch of gentiles who don't know ~True Judaism~. He's just doing what tons of others like him do and actively erasing the existence of non-orthodox, zionist, Jews.

I don't see why it's a bad thing for there to be different denominations of Judaism, similar to how you have "true" Christians who are Catholics, and then you have Protestants.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

qkkl posted:

I don't see why it's a bad thing for there to be different denominations of Judaism, similar to how you have "true" Christians who are Catholics, and then you have Protestants.

lol how are your takes this bad, you giant idiot

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
From what I can tell, qkkl is a fairly consistent troll across all D&D threads, but people still fall for it every time.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
the final century's holy books will be bound in human skin

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Just voted for Berkovitch and Meretz in the Jerusalem municipal election. Doesn't really matter because the city council is going to end up dominated by ultra-orthodox parties regardless :(

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Just voted for Berkovitch and Meretz in the Jerusalem municipal election. Doesn't really matter because the city council is going to end up dominated by ultra-orthodox parties regardless :(
Oren Hazan was kind enough to visit my small town and call it a toilet, which is the primary reason I bothered to go out and vote for our centrist mayor.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/naftalibennett/status/1057377831729197058?s=21

Some completely shameless bootlicking going on here

Not only is Trump not an anti-Semite, he’s the least anti-Semitic person ever

Badger of Basra fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Oct 30, 2018

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

This isn't accurate at all.

You're conflating Zionists who are largely in favor of pluralism but have pathetic panderers like Netanyahu, and the people who they are pandering to - who despise Zionism with every fiber of their being. Both of these live in Israel, but they're two distinct groups, with the latter being a small minority with disproportionate influence.

Mainstream Zionist parties don't give a gently caress about religion and are in favor of bringing as many Jews as possible regardless of background. It's Anti-Zionists who are doing this, who are blocking Ethiopian immigration, etc... Zionist parties certainly share blame for blocking refugees like Eritreans, for (national religious at least, not the seculars) blocking civil marriage, and of course being pathetic panderers, but not for this.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Badger of Basra posted:

https://twitter.com/naftalibennett/status/1057377831729197058?s=21

Some completely shameless bootlicking going on here

Not only is Trump not an anti-Semite, he’s the least anti-Semitic person ever

Likud has successfully transformed the definition of anti-semitism. The worst, most anti-semitic thing you can do is say that the Palestinian people are human beings who deserve basic rights, so alluding to a global conspiracy operated by shady globalist jews, and blaming it for all of our problems isn't on the radar any more. At least American Jews largely aren't a part of that bullshit, but Trump and other nationalist shitheads like him are still going to get to walk around with the official Israeli seal of approval while they spread racist conspiracy theories and hate of the other, just because they are willing to blame the victim in the I/P debacle. It's loving gross.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So, given his results in the first round yesterday, it's almost certain that Moshe Leon, a transparently empty suit backed by the ultra-orthodox parties, is going to win the second round against Berkovitch and be Jerusalem Mayor. Not sure why I was expecting anything different really.

At least Meretz retained their 2 council seats, I guess.

I hate politics in this city.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Main Paineframe posted:

Just to be clear, the person pressing him is reporting for Makor Rishon, the main Religious Zionist newspaper. Which is pointedly reporting on him, the anti-Zionist, and the other anti-Zionist or grudgingly Zionist Haredi newspapers, who also refused to call a Conservative synagogue a synagogue.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Volkerball posted:

Likud has successfully transformed the definition of anti-semitism. The worst, most anti-semitic thing you can do is say that the Palestinian people are human beings who deserve basic rights, so alluding to a global conspiracy operated by shady globalist jews, and blaming it for all of our problems isn't on the radar any more. At least American Jews largely aren't a part of that bullshit, but Trump and other nationalist shitheads like him are still going to get to walk around with the official Israeli seal of approval while they spread racist conspiracy theories and hate of the other, just because they are willing to blame the victim in the I/P debacle. It's loving gross.

The majority of Zionists don't believe this or say this.

What is far more common are anti-Zionists claiming that "Zionists" have undue influence on the media or political affairs.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Kim Jong Il posted:

What is far more common are anti-Zionists claiming that "Zionists" have undue influence on the media or political affairs.

Are you an idiot? There are barely, if any, anti-zionists in any influencial positions in Israel. Maaaaaybe the joint list but you could argue about how influencial they are anyway. The narrative is completely zionist in every single way.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kim Jong Il posted:

what's Israel's chief rabbi's stance on whether or not the people killed in the synagogue shooting last weekend are roasting in hell, for their crime of pretending any synagogue not in Israel is actually a synagogue, KJI

out of question.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

what's Israel's chief rabbi's stance on whether or not the people killed in the synagogue shooting last weekend are roasting in hell, for their crime of pretending any synagogue not in Israel is actually a synagogue, KJI

out of question.

I thought there wasn't a hell in Judaism

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
So apparently I spoke too soon and Meretz got knocked down to just one seat in the Jerusalem city council. Their votes probably went to Berkovich's centrist secular party, which ballooned into 7 seats.

Of course, the ultra-orthodox parties have 15 seats all to themselves, and there are only 31 seats overall, so...

:(

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

kidkissinger posted:

I thought there wasn't a hell in Judaism

The Torah doesn't really have a hell or any other concept of punishment after death, and is mostly silent on the subject of an afterlife. However, in the Christian era, Jewish theological thought (especially Jewish mysticism) developed a somewhat comparable afterlife tradition with its own versions of heaven, hell, end times, and so on. Because the Jewish afterlife was tacked on by rabbinical and mystical thinkers hundreds of years after the fact, views and perspectives on it have varied over time, and it's not as set in stone or as widely believed in.

But the Israeli Chief Rabbi doesn't believe that the Pittsburgh victims were bad Jews who will go to hell. He believes that they literally weren't Jews at all. According to Orthodox beliefs, only Orthodox and ultra-Orthodox Jews count as Jews. Tree of Life was a Conservative congregation, and the Orthodox regard Conservative and Reform Jews as Gentiles who are merely pretending to be Jews. To them, the Tree of Life victims are about as Jewish as the Jews for Jesus preacher at the recent Pence event. Jewish afterlife tradition doesn't seem to have a "follow our religion or else you're destined for hell no matter what" clause like Christianity does, so they'd get to go to the same afterlife as Orthodox Jews...but they wouldn't be allowed to be buried in an Orthodox graveyard.

And speaking of offensive Haredi and Orthodox behavior toward the Pittsburgh shooting, here's another one:
https://mobile.twitter.com/joshnathankazis/status/1058005882355793921
https://mobile.twitter.com/SamuelSokol/status/1057875704283578368

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 1, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Any reminder that female humans exist is blasphemy of the highest order. God only wants sausage parties.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Main Paineframe posted:

The Torah doesn't really have a hell or any other concept of punishment after death, and is mostly silent on the subject of an afterlife. However, in the Christian era, Jewish theological thought (especially Jewish mysticism) developed a somewhat comparable afterlife tradition with its own versions of heaven, hell, end times, and so on. Because the Jewish afterlife was tacked on by rabbinical and mystical thinkers hundreds of years after the fact, views and perspectives on it have varied over time, and it's not as set in stone or as widely believed in.

But the Israeli Chief Rabbi doesn't believe that the Pittsburgh victims were bad Jews who will go to hell. He believes that they literally weren't Jews at all. According to Orthodox beliefs, only Orthodox and ultra-Orthodox Jews count as Jews. Tree of Life was a Conservative congregation, and the Orthodox regard Conservative and Reform Jews as Gentiles who are merely pretending to be Jews. To them, the Tree of Life victims are about as Jewish as the Jews for Jesus preacher at the recent Pence event. Jewish afterlife tradition doesn't seem to have a "follow our religion or else you're destined for hell no matter what" clause like Christianity does, so they'd get to go to the same afterlife as Orthodox Jews...but they wouldn't be allowed to be buried in an Orthodox graveyard.

And speaking of offensive Haredi and Orthodox behavior toward the Pittsburgh shooting, here's another one:

Thanks for the informative post my dude!

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i was told many moons ago that the jewish afterlife was everyone sleeping around god and the better you were in life the closer you slept to him.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
God's beard is very comfy :]

Dommolus Magnus
Feb 27, 2013

Main Paineframe posted:

Doesn't this only apply to people who convert into consevative or reform Judaism? I thought if you are descended in direct female line from a (:airquote: proper :airquote: orthodox) Jew you are considered jewish no matter what?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dommolus Magnus posted:

Doesn't this only apply to people who convert into consevative or reform Judaism? I thought if you are descended in direct female line from a (:airquote: proper :airquote: orthodox) Jew you are considered jewish no matter what?

Only if you can prove it. The Israeli Chief Rabbinate requires people claiming Jewishness by descent to prove it by providing government documents going back four generations - in other words, you need to provide papers proving that your mother, grandmother, great-grandmother, and great-great-grandmother were all Orthodox Jews. This is particularly difficult if you're from a country like the US, which doesn't put religious status on birth certificates or other government papers. For Ethiopian Jews, the standard is even stricter - seven unbroken generations of provable Jewish matrilineal descent.

Even conversions performed by Orthodox rabbis in America are being increasingly scrutinized. The Israeli Chief Rabbinate is increasingly coming under the influence of ultra-Orthodox extremists who are extremely suspicious of liberal Western Jews and are happy to throw up more and more barriers and requirements, figuring that anyone who is truly devoted to Judaism will eventually make it through the process no matter how many hoops they have to jump through.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Groovelord Neato posted:

i was told many moons ago that the jewish afterlife was everyone sleeping around god and the better you were in life the closer you slept to him.

That's what I heard about the Orthodox Christian afterlife. That and another variant where everyone goes to Heaven and is bathed in God's light, which is warm and comforting if you've been good, but is scorching and blinding if your soul is loaded down with sin. Also with the addendum that your bunk is slowly shifting closer/the sin is slowly burned from your body, so eventually heaven is equally pleasant for everyone. I've always thought it sounded nicer than eternal damnation.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

Miftan posted:

Are you an idiot? There are barely, if any, anti-zionists in any influencial positions in Israel. Maaaaaybe the joint list but you could argue about how influencial they are anyway. The narrative is completely zionist in every single way.

I wasn't talking about Israel.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

out of question.

Did you read earlier in the thread? He didn't say this, and that's not even what he was alleged to have said. That's also a complete non-sequitur to my point about reasonable criticism of Israel not being tarred by false accusations of anti-Semitism.

Main Paineframe posted:

Every single point here you made is wrong. Lau was not criticizing the synagogues as being non-Jewish, he was disputing that charge. Furthermore, no one has claimed that they were not Jews. The Haredi believe, which is bigoted garbage, that non-Orthodox denominations are Jews practicing Jewish-themed secularism. In fact, the Haredi standard is matrilineal descent or conversion, even the fake Rabbi from Michigan would be considered matrilineally Jewish depending on the status of his mother, although certainly not theologically.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
the afterlife is a state of simultaneous consumption of tiny machines and being consumed to fuel machines far larger and greater than yourself. the apparent purpose of the machines depends on what you did in life. if you were good, everything makes sense and it all sounds nice. if you were bad, the machines' purpose as explained to you is nonsensical or horrific. either way you have no choice but to participate

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
"i sinned in a past life and now am a wheel on the plague train. we carry plagues from coast to coast"

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

incredible flesh posted:

"i sinned in a past life and now am a wheel on the plague train. we carry plagues from coast to coast"

ah, I see you became part of Bibis rail motorcade

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
So an IDF special forces team infiltrated Gaza, rolled up to a Hamas commander's house and initiated a firefight that killed him, six of his buddies, and one of their own officers. According to the New York Times, they then called in airstrikes to cover their retreat as they fled to the border.

Well then.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Crossposting from the ME thread:

Absurd Alhazred posted:

This guy thinks it's a botched intelligence-gathering operation (thread).

https://twitter.com/AnshelPfeffer/status/1061722937085050881

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Crossposting from the ME thread:

Rolling up to the dude's front door loaded for bear seems like a pretty weird way to conduct an intelligence-gathering operation, though.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

Rolling up to the dude's front door loaded for bear seems like a pretty weird way to conduct an intelligence-gathering operation, though.

If they needed airstrikes to retreat it doesn't sound like they were sufficiently armed for the task.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

It wouldn't surprise me.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

If they needed airstrikes to retreat it doesn't sound like they were sufficiently armed for the task.

Yeah, but a kidnapping seems more plausible than surveillance. The entire squad going right up to his door seems bizarre otherwise.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Darth Walrus posted:

Yeah, but a kidnapping seems more plausible than surveillance. The entire squad going right up to his door seems bizarre otherwise.

Yeah, I don't know. It sounds like poor timing considering they'd just clinched that Qatar-Hamas deal, but ever since at least as far back as the 2nd Intifada I've had the impression that whenever any kind of calm starts settling, it just so happens that it's exactly the right time for an operation targeting a high-up operative in Hamas/Fatah/Islamic Jihad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Trust me when I say that guesswork here is basically like throwing darts at a board with reasons. It's possible it was misreported, an Intel op with an overzealous officer, or any number of things. The IDF doesn't do random kidnappings inside gaza very often as far as I know, if only to not put their soldiers at risk. Intel is done all the time on basically everything so it seems likely. IDF also has a history of going in with minimal fire power to Intel jobs (again, guesswork on my part that may as well be on a dart board)