Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

New end game crisis where you fight yourself from the future.

If the game goes on long enough, it triggers an event for you to go back in time to invade yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Palleon posted:

I still want option for multiple crises. Let everything burn.

Yeah, it should really be a toggle or slider or something. I downloaded some crisis manager mod because all I wanted was "yeah let any crisis spawn if conditions are met, at the same time, after each other, I don't give a poo poo just keep em coming" but the mod has like a 7 page 50-field set of options instead.

Hopefully someone will make a more simple one that doesn't need a 10 page manual to use.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Without testing it at all you should be able to open up events/crisis_trigger_events.txt and delete the 'NOT = { has_global_flag = galactic_crisis_happened }' line from the trigger.

Not responsible if your game implodes trying this.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular

Ham Sandwiches posted:

VGA planets has a more interesting ship combat than Stellaris for fucks saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaake

1992, lol

Seriously watching a borg cube fight off a battlestar loving owns and then they get jumped by romulans, vga planets is the best game

I am also amazed people know this game when it comes up. For years I thought it was just my young groggy friends and I who ever played it.

Staying up until midnight to submit another turn , requiring you to enter “HYP” in the ship command to have it go to light speed. Rookie mistakes of not taking enough fuel in your 10/10 carrier and having it stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Also Empire/Borg OP pls nerf

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

I want a new endgame crisis where the dimensional horror dying opens a portal to hell and the entire galaxy turns into Doom.

Should probably be more of a mini-crisis like the gray goo. Would be fun though.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Splicer posted:

Dat tech tree :swoon:

Willing recruits as a consumable resource would be pretty cool. Then the AI ship tech could reduce a ships required manpower rather than just being another +numbers, giving you a real strong incentive to use it.

Plus, interesting balance factor for gestalts (you are only limited by the number of shipdrones you can produce)

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

TalonDemonKing posted:

If the game goes on long enough, it triggers an event for you to go back in time to invade yourself

New end game crisis where you fight an alternate universe version of your civ, with opposite ethics.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Baronjutter posted:

I always assume my ships are 100% computer controlled because why would you put fragile meat bags inside of a high speed death machine that needs to pull crazy G's ??

precognitive interfaces and psi jump obviously

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

TalonDemonKing posted:

the only way to be safe is if we send (looks up the amount of time fleets that have attacked so far), [this exact amount of fleet power] through the time gate.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

map/setting wise I think the thing I enjoy the least still is this 4X conceit of everyone starting magically at the exact same time. On the exact same day on the exact same year out of the thousands that came before in a setting with countless lost civilizations and fallen empires, 12 civilizations with the exact same number of pops on planets of the exact same size all built 3 corvettes, a science ship, and a constructor and set out into the universe.

I wish we could get more interesting unbalanced starts and pre-populated galaxies and choose if we wanted to start as space france or space Ulm. Or have everyone start as a vassal of a few large pre-fallen empires on the cusp of their decay. Or play as some HRE-like federation surrounded by upstart young races. Just anything other than total perfect symmetry.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Re: first space game, the assorted pre-Civ-and-Moo 4Xs are a weird bunch, since the conventions of the genre weren't really a thing yet. The first I played was Supremacy: Your Will Be Done. The main "map" screen was a tiny telescope view and looked like this:

It's a slow and bad game: there is no diplomacy or ship combat, your main responsibility is managing a very bare bones economy sim and waiting for taxes to accumulate, and the only interactions you really have with the AI are your platoons of angry screaming Rambos murdering xenos through the medium of slowly depleting bars. It did have a neat intro with bitchin' chiptunes on C64 though.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Log082 posted:

New end game crisis where you fight an alternate universe version of your civ, with opposite ethics.

Apparently this exists in the Star Trek mod, the Terran Empire can invade the galaxy, but I've never seen it happen.

Then again I've been playing regular old Stellaris since release and have never seen anything but the Unbidden so I have the worst RNG luck.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

map/setting wise I think the thing I enjoy the least still is this 4X conceit of everyone starting magically at the exact same time. On the exact same day on the exact same year out of the thousands that came before in a setting with countless lost civilizations and fallen empires, 12 civilizations with the exact same number of pops on planets of the exact same size all built 3 corvettes, a science ship, and a constructor and set out into the universe.

I wish we could get more interesting unbalanced starts and pre-populated galaxies and choose if we wanted to start as space france or space Ulm. Or have everyone start as a vassal of a few large pre-fallen empires on the cusp of their decay. Or play as some HRE-like federation surrounded by upstart young races. Just anything other than total perfect symmetry.

advanced starts have always been a thing though?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, it should really be a toggle or slider or something. I downloaded some crisis manager mod because all I wanted was "yeah let any crisis spawn if conditions are met, at the same time, after each other, I don't give a poo poo just keep em coming" but the mod has like a 7 page 50-field set of options instead.

Hopefully someone will make a more simple one that doesn't need a 10 page manual to use.

:ssh: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=686276531

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Xerophyte posted:

Re: first space game, the assorted pre-Civ-and-Moo 4Xs are a weird bunch, since the conventions of the genre weren't really a thing yet. The first I played was Supremacy: Your Will Be Done. The main "map" screen was a tiny telescope view and looked like this:

It's a slow and bad game: there is no diplomacy or ship combat, your main responsibility is managing a very bare bones economy sim and waiting for taxes to accumulate, and the only interactions you really have with the AI are your platoons of angry screaming Rambos murdering xenos through the medium of slowly depleting bars. It did have a neat intro with bitchin' chiptunes on C64 though.

I played the poo poo out of this game, could never figure out how beat the hardest level super alien race as a dumbass kid. It was called Overlord here in the US.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Grand Fromage posted:

I want a new endgame crisis where the dimensional horror dying opens a portal to hell and the entire galaxy turns into Doom.

TBF, this is what it's probably like to play AGAINST someone doing far better, who embraced the Worm.

Alternately, if you wanna make things real wild, make the next end game crisis "someone else just triggered End of the Cycle."

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

Pryor on Fire posted:

I played the poo poo out of this game, could never figure out how beat the hardest level super alien race as a dumbass kid. It was called Overlord here in the US.

Neither did I. Apparently the answer is by claiming a few initial planets, only defending and developing the 4 best and using the rest as 100% tax ablative armor, then waiting 4ish hours for enough money and manpower to train up the max number of 24 fully upgraded platoons that you need to take their homeworld.

It really wasn't a good game, but it had cool art and cool art sold a lot of Amiga games. There wasn't a lot to Defender of the Crown either, but it sure looked fantastic.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Log082 posted:

And if you play gestalts, you team up with your alternate version since you don't have any opposing ethics. :v:

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

advanced starts have always been a thing though?

Not for the player, which is what he wants, I think.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Libluini posted:

The console exists also lower difficulty levels

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Ultimately in order for that sort of gameplay to work, there needs to be a reason that the bigger empire doesn't immediately conquer the smaller one as soon as it's not busy with some other war. Which doesn't really exist right now, and probably won't exist in 2.2, but eventually a rework will make those reasons exist.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Libluini posted:

Also, I think the current system is pretty binary: Advanced or Regular start, not allowing for a range in initial empire sizes from (say) one to five colonized worlds at 2200.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Black Pants posted:

Ascendancy was my first 4X and I think that's probably a big factor in why I like Stellaris so much.

Mine too, even before MoO2. There were some really cool things in there, like very powerful one-use equipment that could only be replaced by hitting the drydock again.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

Start with one or two standard AI empires, two or three advanced starts, max fallen empires, max primitives, and max presapients. It won't necessarily be good, but it's the kind of map you want.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Log082 posted:

And a goatee.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Rumda posted:

The console exists also lower difficulty levels

Not the same and not the same

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Libluini posted:

Not the same and not the same
Max primitives almost guarantees a few space age dudes primed to pop into full fledged empires.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I agree with Baronjutter. Honestly, I'd like to see Stellaris with a "default" Milky Way galaxy to give it a bit more solid terrain and shape. I've always liked the texture of CK2 and EU4 in setting an unbalanced and incredibly diverse world for you to start.

Then throw in numerous options for galaxy generation. Complete galaxy gen, or modifying bits of it ala EU4's random new world.

Then throw in more layered origins for more events and flavor. Going into space for the first time? Or perhaps your empire just managed to recover from a disaster that stranded it on its capital planet (or colony world) for some time? Or maybe you're the last remnants of an advanced civilization? Was it a contemporary of a fallen empire? Are you starting back at zero or perhaps your automated defenses safeguarded your legacy? Etc.

Hell, add in alternate versions of the default empire lineup. You already have the Commonwealth of Man. Why not make humanity actually an ancient alien race? Give modders an easier time to do that thing like that one goon did to make a potential human-only game based on the default UN/Commonwealth homeworld/lost colony split. I know there's a bunch of mods that do that with custom civics but that takes up space. Adding a segment to the empire creator based on your species' origins would also open the way to making the game generate empires that hook into yours, like making the game be able to RNG a bunch of Ulysses Initiative civs on its own so you can play the UN setting out to reunite its lost colonies (whether alone in the stars or amongst diverse alien empires) or the Blorg rediscover lost cousins amongst the stars only they're evil and kill everything and have goatees.

Let's go a step further with galaxy generation. Set empire tendencies, these can be for start or permanent. Want to be the sole materialist/AI/ascend-into-robots Empire in a galaxy of mostly spiritualists? Or maybe it's a free-for-all between different spiritualists each claiming to know more than the other? Band together with other freedom loving species to end the slaver federations and their aligned fallen empire. Want this to affect empires that form or split off during the game? Want this to specifically give rise to empires with opposing ethics? The galaxy of spiritualists see a rise of materialist rebels! Organics fight off their robot overlords, etc.

And once this is all done, you can choose another empire to start with. Rather than starting with empire generation, let players generate a galaxy first so they can see if there's anything they particularly like. Let them load up a previously-played galaxy, or generate a galaxy that's "mid-game" so they can play a plucky collection of rebels trying to secede from the tyranny of an authoritarian regime. Or the plot of Homeworld. Etc.

tl;dr: Give the game more options sliders to let players shape the galaxy to tell a particular story, with more and less RNG as desired.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hewmons can absolutely be a Fallen Empire. I've seen it happen. Unsure if they get Sol in their system though.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

The galaxy will always spawn Sol and then I guess it does a roll on whether which level it is because there's an early space age one and a world war 2 pre-ftl version and if you play as the Commonwealth I believe it will always spawn Sol as a regular empire. I suppose there could also be a a fallen empire roll when you play as an alien empire.

What I've noticed though is that Sol will always spawn... Weirdly. It's always a single connection system that's placed after galaxy gen and so it doesn't generate Alpha Centauri and the other named systems you'd expect if you start as humanity yourself.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Demiurge4 posted:

The galaxy will always spawn Sol and then I guess it does a roll on whether which level it is because there's an early space age one and a world war 2 pre-ftl version and if you play as the Commonwealth I believe it will always spawn Sol as a regular empire. I suppose there could also be a a fallen empire roll when you play as an alien empire.

What I've noticed though is that Sol will always spawn... Weirdly. It's always a single connection system that's placed after galaxy gen and so it doesn't generate Alpha Centauri and the other named systems you'd expect if you start as humanity yourself.
Seems clever of them really. It would explain why we don't get a lot of traffic in real life, and obviously aliens won't be using the same star names we would...

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

https://twitter.com/Martin_Anward/status/1057933347874357248

Agrarian Idyll looking to be shockingly decent.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What happens if you drop the civic? Do they lose the techs?

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Need to say Shared Burden as a civic is not at all worth it. The increase of 50% more edgy comments is way too much of a nerf compared to the benefits it brings.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Groogy posted:

Need to say Shared Burden as a civic is not at all worth it. The increase of 50% more edgy comments is way too much of a nerf compared to the benefits it brings.

Groogy, when are you going to post the Dev Clash first episode to Youtube? The only thing on your channel is a list of all the empires, which is such a tease for those of us who can't be there during the stream.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Sol can also be found as a tomb world in addition to either ww2 or modern versions.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I would absolutely love a DLC that was a bunch of new end game crisises. Maybe some mid game ones too like the Khan.
Easily £15 worth there.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Aethernet posted:

Groogy, when are you going to post the Dev Clash first episode to Youtube? The only thing on your channel is a list of all the empires, which is such a tease for those of us who can't be there during the stream.

You can watch the streams on twitch. They stay archived.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/327256386

Edit: wrong link.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Axetrain posted:

Sol can also be found as a tomb world in addition to either ww2 or modern versions.
In some ways the best outcome because you can uplift the noble roach

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

I really like that it boosts mines and energy, too. It's like the society kept their simple ways as the society advanced to mining/production, but there's still a cultural attachment to the old traditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Taear posted:

I would absolutely love a DLC that was a bunch of new end game crisises. Maybe some mid game ones too like the Khan.
Easily £15 worth there.

Throw in a new type of fallen empire or two into that mix.