Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Demiurge4 posted:

The galaxy will always spawn Sol and then I guess it does a roll on whether which level it is because there's an early space age one and a world war 2 pre-ftl version and if you play as the Commonwealth I believe it will always spawn Sol as a regular empire. I suppose there could also be a a fallen empire roll when you play as an alien empire.

What I've noticed though is that Sol will always spawn... Weirdly. It's always a single connection system that's placed after galaxy gen and so it doesn't generate Alpha Centauri and the other named systems you'd expect if you start as humanity yourself.

Not quite, Sol doesn't spawn every time, just a little over half the time. First the game spawns empires according to its normal procedures, which might mean that the UNE, Earth Custodianship, or a player-created empire with Sol as its system will be created, with the correct nearby stars too. Then the game checks if the Commonwealth has been spawned, and if the Commonwealth exists and a Sol-based empire does not, it will spawn Sol and put the UNE on it and stop. Then if there's no Sol empire and no Commonwealth, it rolls a dice to decide if it's going to spawn Sol anyway, and what sort of Sol to spawn if so. Chances are 50% no Sol, 40% Primitive Sol (equal chances of Medieval, WW2 and Modern), 10% Tomb Sol with Cockroaches.

When the game spawns Sol by means other than normal galaxy generation, as you mentioned it's always a single system with one connection, since that's how all system spawns are coded (behaviour is the same for the precursor worlds)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

Max primitives almost guarantees a few space age dudes primed to pop into full fledged empires.

Yeah, that's what I like to do: Putting down a few space age civs I made myself and then cranking up the primitives to add more diversity.

Baronjutter however, wanted the exact opposite: He wanted to start with an already developed multi-star empire.

Fake Edit:

On more options for galaxy generation, I'd be all for it. Please let me start in a quasar, with most of the galaxy impassable due to the deadly radiation from the core! Or let me start from a weird irregular star burst galaxy full with young proto-stars!

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Axetrain posted:

Sol can also be found as a tomb world in addition to either ww2 or modern versions.

Pretty sure stone age Earth is also a potential outcome.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

Aethernet posted:

Groogy, when are you going to post the Dev Clash first episode to Youtube? The only thing on your channel is a list of all the empires, which is such a tease for those of us who can't be there during the stream.

Think that we hired Long Game Short to do the editing or I might be completely wrong on that. But you do have the Twitch VOD
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/327256386

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
So when's the variant of Sol that has mars partly terraformed as a nod and a wink to Surviving Mars?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
I want one with authoritarian xenophobes on Luna.

Maybe one with Shared Burden dudes on Mars.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Stellaris Dev Diary #132 - Ecumenopolis and Megastructures

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Captain Oblivious posted:

Pretty sure stone age Earth is also a potential outcome.

I think this might have been a possible outcome at release, but isn't possible now (I'm guessing it was removed around the time they changed how Stone Age primitives worked). Sol has a fixed layout so it has to be spawned via special_system_initializers.txt, and there's three entries for Sol in there: special_init_03, which spawns primitive sol, with equal chances for Early Space Age, Machine Age, and Medieval Age; special_init_04, which creates the Nuclear Wasteland version; and com_sol_system, which creates the UNE if you play as the CoM and a sol empire wasn't spawned randomly.

Notably special_init_03 has a random list where there's three options but each is listed as a 25% chance (so the game treats it as 33% chance), but it suggests there was originally four options, probably stone age humans.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Current post patch plan: MegaCorp with Archologies into Synths.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

So if machines get machine worlds, and organics now get ecumenopolii, are hive minds going to get access to some kind of hive world equivalent if they cover an entire planet in Creep?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Crazycryodude posted:

So if machines get machine worlds, and organics now get ecumenopolii, are hive minds going to get access to some kind of hive world equivalent if they cover an entire planet in Creep?

Wiz posted:

DmUa posted:

Will here be any update to Machine Worlds? Ecumenopolis looks pretty much like a Machine World for non gestalt empires. Also will organic hive mind get something similar?

Yes, machine worlds have new mechanics in 2.2. Hive Minds may get some sort of hive world, not yet decided.

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Crazycryodude posted:

Buildable overmind-worlds when?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

I hope we also get broken versions of all of these megastructures. And a slider to choose how many spawn in any given galaxy.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
How is there not an event like the lever machine except with a slider

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I admit I"m a little bummed by the drawbacks to ecumenopolises (I almost certainly pluralized that wrong). No ability to produce raw resources and requiring an ascenion perk that does nothing else AND being incredibly expensive and time consuming is, well...a lot, and it seems like they're only good for trade and alloy manufacturing. Although obviously both of those things may be way bigger deals than I can know right now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jabarto posted:

I admit I"m a little bummed by the drawbacks to ecumenopolises (I almost certainly pluralized that wrong). No ability to produce raw resources and requiring an ascenion perk that does nothing else AND being incredibly expensive and time consuming is, well...a lot, and it seems like they're only good for trade and alloy manufacturing. Although obviously both of those things may be way bigger deals than I can know right now.

To put it in perspective for you, ships aren’t built with minerals anymore. They’re built with alloys.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Jabarto posted:

Fun fact, the plural of encumenopolis is encumenopoliseseses - it's true, look it up :science:

They sound extremely powerful to me but like the other megastructures may be a case of 'now you're just showing off' by the time you can get to them and the game's already won.

You lose out on being able to collect food and minerals but it makes up for this by being able to support an immense number of pops generating alloys and money. Far more than you'd be able to generate on a normal planet and should more than make up for the cost in efficiency.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Yeah. City worlds (and habitats?) will let you optimize other planets for resource production since you can shift a lot (all?) of the refinement burden off them.

I'm unconvinced of the utility of Doop headquarters. Relations are nice, but isn't most of the galaxy firmed up at that point? Also, while the weird black beacon looks good, the rest of it is just kinda...blocks.

Would love megastructures to change the game rather than just being Math Improvers, but thats just me. Dyson sphere lets you translate energy to minerals, SCC autobuilds free platforms everywhere, that sorta thing. Miiight be moddable...hmmmmm.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 1, 2018

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Random thought about the coming update: I think it would be nice with the new Federation change that gives control of the fleet to the strongest member of the federation, if said strongest member could give temporary control of the fleet over to another player, so when I play with friends and they want to stomp on someone I can't be bothered with I can go "okay here's the federation fleet for 10/20/30 years" have at it, or the other way around.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Fun fact, the plural of encumenopolis is encumenopoliseseses - it's true, look it up :science:

Wiktionary says ecumenopolises or ecumenopoleis?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Feel like too much poo poo is gated behind ascension perks now. Gaia worlds, habitats, mega structures and now city worlds all that their own ascension perk.

Just make them all available with tech and use the perks to improve them further.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Hey Wiz, are there going to be any changes to the Machine World terraform option for applicable robot races coming now that it would appear that an Ecumenopolis is strictly better (and also unavailable to Gestalts)?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

A megastructure that gives your ships +15% speed is loving bananas.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Demiurge4 posted:

Feel like too much poo poo is gated behind ascension perks now. Gaia worlds, habitats, mega structures and now city worlds all that their own ascension perk.

Just make them all available with tech and use the perks to improve them further.

Just wait for the mod that makes them one ascension perk.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Demiurge4 posted:

Nah. Choices are good.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

PittTheElder posted:

A megastructure that gives your ships +15% speed is loving bananas.

I'm hoping that the economy changes also allow a player to make use of the extra naval capacity too, because even now naval cap is almost never the limiting factor.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Ice Fist posted:

I'm hoping that the economy changes also allow a player to make use of the extra naval capacity too, because even now naval cap is almost never the limiting factor.

Logistically, what am I doing wrong if I find naval cap to be a fairly big hindrance.

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

Staltran posted:

Wiktionary says ecumenopolises or ecumenopoleis?

Ecumenopoliae

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib
e: eciimenopolis

Wiz posted:

Nah. Choices are good.

I'm a bit concerned that with the addition of Arcology project and Colossi in Utopia the actual Ascension Paths will end up being muscled out. If you want all the neat "tall" stuff like orbitals, ecumenopolises, and megastructures, you end up with Voidborn, probably Master Builders, Arcology, Galactic Wonders, probably Colossi, then maybe go for Gaia worlds, probably something like Executive Vigor for the first perk since you haven't got the prereqs yet for Voidborn... Spending two perks on an ascension path starts seeming like a lot. The ascension paths could probably use a buff, especially since synths won't be a straight upgrade anymore. Also psionics is garbage right now if you ask me. Biological ascension might benefit from the new pop system I suppose, and I don't know what the project costs will be like in Le Guin. When Utopia launched there weren't a lot of good ascension perks, but as more good ones are added I'm starting to be convinced none of the ascension paths are worth two perks.

Ice Fist posted:

Build more mines. Naval cap is definitely the limiting factor for me after 2230/2240 maybe.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

Staltran posted:

Build more mines. Naval cap is definitely the limiting factor for me after 2230/2240 maybe.

:shrug: my last couple games I had fantastic economy and was wide enough that I could build enough star bases to not worry at all about naval cap, but I personally stop building fleets if I'm unable to undock all of them without going negative in one or both resources which ultimately turned out to be my limiting factor.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wiz posted:

Nah. Choices are good.

Its cool to have choices but I want to do all of it eventually, but also before 2400. I guess it doesn't really matter since I never play without mods anyway so I'm not achievement hunting, I can just edit the techs to be the way I want.

I do feel there's a little bit of bloat in the perk tree though and its largely down to my playstyle and how I build my perks. I'll usually go for Mastery of Nature first and the second pick will always be whatever flavor of ascension I'm going for. From there I'll usually want to pick up Gaia worlds third which means I'm sitting on the third pick until that tech pops and then I'll finish out the ascension line on the fourth pick.

What this means (for me) is that I'm not doing any mega structures until my fifth or sixth pick and at that point they're just a victory lap anyway. Now obviously every part of the game is seeing a major change with the economy patch but right now ascension perks feel limiting rather than giving me lots of options.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

Staltran posted:

e: eciimenopolis

Encumenopbonii.

Anyway, I don't mind the choices being gated and exclusive to each other. Players always ask for more 'unique' and diverse play styles and one surefire way to enforce diversity of empires is to limit what everyone can do.

Otherwise it just becomes like a Bethesda game where you can be everyone and everything and none of it matters any more (or is super OP).

The bigger issue is that a lot of the time it's hard to tell what the AI is doing and there seem to be a lot of options it never bothered with.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Wiz posted:

Nah. Choices are good.

:emptyquote:

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Ice Fist posted:

:shrug: my last couple games I had fantastic economy and was wide enough that I could build enough star bases to not worry at all about naval cap, but I personally stop building fleets if I'm unable to undock all of them without going negative in one or both resources which ultimately turned out to be my limiting factor.

Even with trade hub star bases in all of your populated systems? If not, you could just build less anchorages. Also, wouldn't a tall build have more starbases because of all the extra pops?

e:

Demiurge4 posted:

Its cool to have choices but I want to do all of it eventually, but also before 2400. I guess it doesn't really matter since I never play without mods anyway so I'm not achievement hunting, I can just edit the techs to be the way I want.

I do feel there's a little bit of bloat in the perk tree though and its largely down to my playstyle and how I build my perks. I'll usually go for Mastery of Nature first and the second pick will always be whatever flavor of ascension I'm going for. From there I'll usually want to pick up Gaia worlds third which means I'm sitting on the third pick until that tech pops and then I'll finish out the ascension line on the fourth pick.

What this means (for me) is that I'm not doing any mega structures until my fifth or sixth pick and at that point they're just a victory lap anyway. Now obviously every part of the game is seeing a major change with the economy patch but right now ascension perks feel limiting rather than giving me lots of options.

Just skip the ascension path?

Staltran fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Nov 1, 2018

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Why would I skip the coolest thing in the game?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wiz posted:

Nah. Choices are good.
I like mutually exclusive choices but I'm worried that one particular choice vector is getting slightly overloaded with choices that it may not be the best fit for, similar to my concern about civics. Though part of it may be that the ability to make these choices is further gated behind randomly rolled late tier techs.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ice Fist posted:

I find that it often is; definitely in the first few decades when you need lots of ships on the field to take down starbases, and then later when your economy is just booming anyway it becomes the limiter again. Yes you can and should exceed it, but only by so much.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Demiurge4 posted:

Why would I skip the coolest thing in the game?

To use the perk slots on something else. Besides, it's cool the first time but I'd say biological and synthetic ascensions are pretty boring on later plays. Psionic isn't really boring but rather frustrating, which is worse. Biological and synthetic also open up mountains of micro you can do to squeeze out tiny benefits, which is frustrating since you know you could do it but don't want to.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I still wish megastructures weren't just "own this system to get infinite resource" type things.

To be honest I don't really find them particularly fun. The habitable ones are good but I don't enjoy the ones that just give you shitloads of resources by having them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
The benefits from going synthetic are far from minor and is arguably the most powerful perk set after habitats. Compared to habitats and synthetic the megastructures and gaia worlds are only fluff thrown on top of a game that's already won.