Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just ordered one of these dumb things off massdrop

i regret nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Taintrunner posted:

i regret nothing

username/keyboard purchase combo

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Taintrunner posted:

i regret nothing

hrmmmm

ABS or PBT

what switches

i need more info before i can denounce u

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

hrmmmm

ABS or PBT

what switches

it has dumbass lights

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i had a shitload of split keyboards of various design before i jumped on the Bowl Bandwagon

it seriously makes a difference. kinesis advantage 2 is the reigning champ, in my book. (it is arguably better than the product that it is a knockoff of)

I'm tempted to hop on the bowl bandwagon and there's a presumably first gen kinesis advantage for sale locally, for $80 (this seems like a steal!). Are there any appreciable difference between 1st and 2nd gen?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
second gen has better macro functionality I believe. though there are older versions that weren’t called the advantage. if it’s in good shape, i’d buy it at $80 just to have a spare.

edit:looks like the original advantage has rubbery F-Keys, vs hard plastic mechanical, less storage, and might not support key remapping/dvorak as easily.

blugu64 fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Nov 1, 2018

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

GuyonthecoucH posted:

I'm tempted to hop on the bowl bandwagon and there's a presumably first gen kinesis advantage for sale locally, for $80 (this seems like a steal!). Are there any appreciable difference between 1st and 2nd gen?

not in the actual keyboard part, no

but the differences in the controller are big enough that i immediately replaced both of my 1st gens with 2nd gens the day the 2nd gen landed

• the 1st gen, since 1986, has had a firmware bug that causes a "sticky" shift periodically. this bug is absent from the 2nd gen.

• the 1st gen relies on an internal ps/2<=>usb adapter to add usb support. this does not work reliably with all PC BIOS stuff -- depending on the system firmware, sometimes your keyboard just don't work right until the OS boots

• the 2nd gen adds the ability to save/edit/load configurations with a text editor, instead of relying on the keyboard and three LEDs as the entire editing interface

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
of course you could also just buy the $80 1st gen and make your own replacement controller + firmware -- lots of dudes have done that if you google around

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Roosevelt posted:

hrmmmm

ABS or PBT

what switches

it’s uh Kailua box white switches https://www.massdrop.com/buy/70370

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

blugu64 posted:

second gen has better macro functionality I believe. though there are older versions that weren’t called the advantage. if it’s in good shape, i’d buy it at $80 just to have a spare.

edit:looks like the original advantage has rubbery F-Keys, vs hard plastic mechanical, less storage, and might not support key remapping/dvorak as easily.

1st gen speaks dvorak natively by pressing some 3 key combo

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

• the 1st gen, since 1986, has had a firmware bug that causes a "sticky" shift periodically. this bug is absent from the 2nd gen.

Whoa I get this like once a month and I was wondering what the heck. I've just been slapping the shift/ctrl keys to fix it when it happens.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
the 2nd gen f-keys are just as bad as the 1st, despite a fancier key switch

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
my 2nd gen keys are good enough, so gen1 probably fine too then. buy it op

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
matias quiet click obtained. tactility is good but the switches are a bit on the heavy side and it doesn't feel or sound as good as the AEK (of course). will probably make for a friendlier office environment in the long run, though. nobody has complained so far but I decided to stay on the safe side.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Taintrunner posted:

i regret nothing

nice razer

Pumprag
Jan 29, 2013

Salt Fish posted:

It says SE07T0 on the bottom, so I think it should be based on the deskthority list.

I think the only 55g key is the escape key.
But you should be able to feel the difference between the 'w' and the 'e' key.

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
i have received my filco majestouch 2 convertible (usb + bluetooth) with browns and it's been great albeit for the abs keycaps

where can I get a "normal" set of white text on black PBT keycaps? I can't seem to find any.

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
looks like kprepublic have them

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

blugu64 posted:

open and close your hand. did your fingers move in an arc? if so, a bowl layout might be for you!

our hands will never evolve to type on normal keyboards if we dont take them out of their comfort zone

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
idk I have a very easy time typing on my freestyle/s without pronating my wrists or whatever, the biggest benefit has been splitting the board apart to a comfortable width and angling the halves slightly

other ergonomic boards I've tried at work rub me weird b/c they usually tent the keys significantly and I don't seem to need that

ergonomics is a complicated science

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

echinopsis posted:

our hands will never evolve to type on normal keyboards if we dont take them out of their comfort zone

you'll need to get a date first

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I replaced a switch in my filco today. It was the first time I've ever soldered something and everything worked the first try without poo poo going wrong. I cleaned the PCB, case and keys and it looks/works like brand new, but I already got an 87U so I dunno what to do with it.

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Salt Fish posted:

I replaced a switch in my filco today. It was the first time I've ever soldered something and everything worked the first try without poo poo going wrong. I cleaned the PCB, case and keys and it looks/works like brand new, but I already got an 87U so I dunno what to do with it.

throw your 87U in the trash and get a real keeb

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
get a Leopold with Topre switches

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Skim Milk posted:

throw your 87U in the trash and get a real keeb

My apartment is essentially one giant trash can.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

also, you’re poasts

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Salt Fish posted:

der pösts-signen ist verboten

Azuren
Jul 15, 2001

I'm considering getting a Unicomp for playing games, how dumb is this? Also read that the USB versions only have 2-key-rollover, which kinda sucks. Do the PS/2 port versions have N-key rollover, and are there any disadvantages nowadays for PS/2 vs USB?

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

it's pretty dumb to play games

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Poniard posted:

it's pretty dumb to play games

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

it's hip to key board

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
get a kinesis freestyle edge, op

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

get a Advantage2

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Azuren posted:

I'm considering getting a Unicomp for playing games, how dumb is this? Also read that the USB versions only have 2-key-rollover, which kinda sucks. Do the PS/2 port versions have N-key rollover, and are there any disadvantages nowadays for PS/2 vs USB?

if it's not plugging into a native ps2 port, you are using an active adapter. does that adapter support nkro? my understanding was generally not

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

blugu64 posted:

get a Advantage2

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
once you go bowls you never go back

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Silver Alicorn posted:

idk I have a very easy time typing on my freestyle/s without pronating my wrists or whatever, the biggest benefit has been splitting the board apart to a comfortable width and angling the halves slightly

other ergonomic boards I've tried at work rub me weird b/c they usually tent the keys significantly and I don't seem to need that

ergonomics is a complicated science

the advantage doesn't aggressively tent the keys because it doesn't have to

bowls are magic

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Big bowl fan checking in, bowls rule okay see you guys next post.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Salt Fish posted:

Big bowl fan checking in, bowls rule okay see you guys next post.

haha, weed

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
i'd consider the kinesis boards if they came with something other than cherry switches, but alas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

TheFluff posted:

i'd consider the kinesis boards if they came with something other than cherry switches, but alas.

This just means you're not in enough pain yet. Once it gets worse you'll use whatever switch you can find in that sweet sweet bowl format.