Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elliptical Dick
Oct 11, 2008

I made the bald man cry
into the turtle stew

Renaissance Robot posted:

Not to defend the Home Office at all, because they're dicks, but it seems like she sort of walked into this by renouncing her British citizenship?

Well she still has the right to reside there anyway being an EU citizen and I'm pretty sure the Good Friday Agreement guarantees the right of residence for Irish citizens in NI as well but I'd need to dig it out to be sure.

E: in the year 5 AD Tiberius conquered Germania Inferior

Elliptical Dick fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

Irish citizenship extends to anyone born on the island of Ireland to at least one parent also born on the island, and is automatic from birth, so it shouldn't need to be applied for.

Fair enough then!

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Dilma Rousseff was neoliberal as gently caress, though? Pro-privatisation, sent the army after strikers, massively corrupt. I can't really think of any ways in which she was a leftist.

Not Neoliberal enough. She fought against and was tortured for fighting against the dictatorship, was part of probably the last traditional Social Democratic party in Southern America and when backed into a corner by the voters she moved left and won re-election. And the corruption charges against her and the left are trivial by Brazilian standards. Basically while she gave America some of what it wanted it didn't give them everything, a mortal sin in the eyes of America and Neoliberals.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

"outflanked" suggests that the State Department are unhappy with this turn of events, and the evidence is definitely against that.

They're probably overjoyed that the Brazilians have chosen to go back into their cage without a fight but Neoliberals can't control fascists forever and eventually the rabid dog bites it's owner.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

Coohoolin posted:

Whose debt? Scottish and EU students get uni for free.

Not fees but maintenance loans I guess?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Oh right, I've heard of a 'cock wring'.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Yeah, apologies for those not well versed on scottish education policy.

Tuition is free, but the SNP had claimed they would scrap all student debt, presumably through increased availability of bursaries etc, but the amount given in bursaries is decreasing whereas the amount in student loans is increasing, at a decent rate.

That all said, average student debt in Scotland after graduation is under 15k, whereas in England it's over double that at 34k

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Coohoolin posted:

Whose debt? Scottish and EU students get uni for free.
doesn't say tuition fees there.
you should pause a second before rushing to automatically defend the SNP over any criticism :p

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Darth Walrus posted:

Wasn't Lula convicted by, like, sixteen different judges? This appointment was probably shady because Bolsonaro is fash, but I'm not ruling out the idea that it was some other kind of quid pro quo until a fair number more of those sixteen start getting little rewards as well.

Corruption is a loving worthless conviction in the case of Brazil because it's entirely politically motivated. He was convicted of accepting bribes of $1.2m in the form of upgrades to a house which he didn't even loving own. Compare this to Dilma's successor Michel Temer, well, his list of accusations is considerably longer than Lula's. But he worked for the interests of the wealthy, the upper middle & upper classes so he doesn't get impeaches & is highly unlikely to end up in prison come the new year.

Sure, PT were prone to corruption. As every party in Brazil is, but oddly only one of them is being focused on with a laser-like precision by the media, domestic & foreign. Weird that. Almost as if they actively improved things in the 13 years between Lula taking office & Dilma being impeached for poor and marginalised groups in the country.

You're not wrong that under western eyes Dilma is neo-liberal and definitely she was a step backwards from Lula as far as opposing neoliberalism, but it's also easy to lose focus on where Brazil was coming from. It makes America look like it has a strong welfare state.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Cerv posted:

doesn't say tuition fees there.
you should pause a second before rushing to automatically defend the SNP over any criticism :p

Lol, I hadn't spotted coohoolin was the one who posted that, unjust assumed everyone with those questions was in England and not aware of the full details

Absolute lol.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Elliptical Dick posted:

I'm pretty sure the Good Friday Agreement guarantees the right of residence for Irish citizens in NI as well
It doesn't, because that was considered more or less settled already by other agreements, which it is, including in this case.

jBrereton fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 1, 2018

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

e: ^^ Irish citizenship extends to anyone born on the island of Ireland to at least one parent also born on the island, and is automatic from birth, so it shouldn't need to be applied for.

Grandparents too. That's how we got footballing superstars like ...Andy Townsend and Tony Cascarino.

E: though in that case you have to apply, so you're still right

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

This would be great as Halloween decoration, alas

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Some people really didn't want to give away any sweets.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

tag yourself, i'm the mannequin looking away from where the fighting is happening

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

How come this country has so many people born after 1945 that act like they actually fought in World War 2, its loving weird.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

You just activated a Manchurian Candidate somewhere by using those two in the same sentence.

e: Four: The echidna, sometimes known as the spiny anteater, has a penis with four heads. Somewhere, someone has incorporated this into Sonic fanart. You know they have. Thinking about this is the worst sex tip.

Have you been reading my twitter?

https://twitter.com/ookiimarukochan/status/1057759658428039168

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Gorn Myson posted:

How come this country has so many people born after 1945 that act like they actually fought in World War 2, its loving weird.

No mans land is WW1 stuff.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gorn Myson posted:

Look I'm not saying that I fought in WW2, I'm just saying that we need to devote absolute respect to that greatest of generations and carry forward their views in how we run our country.

Not the free healthcare or education or nationalisation of banks, land, mines, and transport they demanded though, just the racism.

I haven't, but it's good that we're all thinking about animal dicks as part of our daily lives.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Vlex posted:

tag yourself, i'm the mannequin looking away from where the fighting is happening

I'm the man in the black & white picture that's put the bayonet through his own foot.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Same thing mate.

(I know you're right but we're online and the rule is that you never back down from being incorrect)

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

my regt has started getting proper fashy about enforcing every oval office wearing a poppy, uniform or not.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I won't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure the image on the garage door is taken from the front cover of a Charley's War collection.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

lemonadesweetheart posted:

You know what's especially weird/cynical? As soon as Harry Patch (the last living veteran of WW1) died there was an almost immediate ramping up of jingoism and a distinct dropping of the Anti War aspects of "Never Again". Michael Gove felt brave enough to start talking about how WW1 was actually not pointless and dying for the Queen is actually very good. The annual covers of Green Fields of France dropped the lines talking about how never again was a hollow lie and people were still being thrown into the thresher for Empire, removing any semblance of genuine anger and sadness from the song. People started attacking anti war veterans and claiming that Fighter Pilots didn't count as Troops. There's an annual rage against people who wear white poppies and for some reason despite every single person who appears on TV wearing a red poppy there are still people out there who are convinced it's an act of anti-PC bravery to do so.

I don't know if I just started noticing it more but I distinctly noticed the second there wasn't someone who lived through WW1 around to openly state the war was a pointless and unapologetic slaughter of human beings there were a lot of Pro War serial killers who felt more entitled to Remembrance Day.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

mehall posted:

Yeah, apologies for those not well versed on scottish education policy.

Tuition is free, but the SNP had claimed they would scrap all student debt, presumably through increased availability of bursaries etc, but the amount given in bursaries is decreasing whereas the amount in student loans is increasing, at a decent rate.

That all said, average student debt in Scotland after graduation is under 15k, whereas in England it's over double that at 34k

Or you could be smart like me and pay your university 39k in monthly installments and graduate with no debt :smug: (I had no other option as I wasn't an EU citizen at the time, kinda pissed about blowing 4 years of pretty extreme savings on it now instead of a house tbh)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I hope they were playing this music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiYuq6Ac3a0

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Gonzo McFee posted:

You know what's especially weird/cynical? As soon as Harry Patch (the last living veteran of WW1) died there was an almost immediate ramping up of jingoism and a distinct dropping of the Anti War aspects of "Never Again". Michael Gove felt brave enough to start talking about how WW1 was actually not pointless and dying for the Queen is actually very good. The annual covers of Green Fields of France dropped the lines talking about how never again was a hollow lie and people were still being thrown into the thresher for Empire, removing any semblance of genuine anger and sadness from the song. People started attacking anti war veterans and claiming that Fighter Pilots didn't count as Troops. There's an annual rage against people who wear white poppies and for some reason despite every single person who appears on TV wearing a red poppy there are still people out there who are convinced it's an act of anti-PC bravery to do so.

I don't know if I just started noticing it more but I distinctly noticed the second there wasn't someone who lived through WW1 around to openly state the war was a pointless and unapologetic slaughter of human beings there were a lot of Pro War serial killers who felt more entitled to Remembrance Day.

I was just gonna post about the Harry Patch Gove thing - I fully expect these sort of people to get somehow even more super loving awful the moment the last vet of WW2 dies.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Gonzo McFee posted:

this is a good listen, even if radiohead isn't your jam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XY0E3PaNIi4

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Wow - and then I watched the movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQhLRr0HRGI

I found that pretty powerful. But if I posted that on FB I think my friend count would drop 50% .

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Jedit posted:

I won't swear to it, but I'm pretty sure the image on the garage door is taken from the front cover of a Charley's War collection.

Very nearly but not quite.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Charleys-War-Boy-Soldier-Great/dp/1781169144/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1541087019&sr=8-4&keywords=charley%27s+war

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gonzo McFee posted:

Nah I definitely noticed this too. I quote Harry Patch every single remembrance sunday, because he really was the last bastion against the tide of fresh warmongering.

'Give your leaders each a gun and let them fight it out themselves', indeed.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

'Give your leaders each a gun and let them fight it out themselves', indeed.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Guavanaut posted:

Irish citizenship extends to anyone born on the island of Ireland to at least one parent also born on the island, and is automatic from birth, so it shouldn't need to be applied for.

True, but you do have to get it confirmed though either via a witness like a policeman or solicitor in some cases.
Am born in NI, mother is from the south, and trying to get my Irish Passport before the border turns into Checkpoint Charlie 2.0, and I just need to get someone to confirm I am from there.
So putting on my best 'HOWBOUTYEBOY ITS A QUARE DAY!' accent soon.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

happyhippy posted:

True, but you do have to get it confirmed though either via a witness like a policeman or solicitor in some cases.
Am born in NI, mother is from the south, and trying to get my Irish Passport before the border turns into Checkpoint Charlie 2.0, and I just need to get someone to confirm I am from there.
So putting on my best 'HOWBOUTYEBOY ITS A QUARE DAY!' accent soon.

If it helps, I forums user Failed Imagineer, certify that you are a 100% Irish goon with correct opinions on breakfast

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Vlex posted:

Im the lens flare

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Pfft, what does this peacenik know, he's not a WWII vet like are baby boomer heroes

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
WW1 veterans taught us that war is terrible, so when they started dying we started saying no actually it's good and about glory again.
WW2 veterans taught us that fascism is horrible, so when they started dying we started saying hmm how about that nationalism lads.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/jdpoc/status/1058007548203331585?s=19

This is probably some Louise Mensch tier poo poo, but I don't want to investigate any further because I enjoy the possibility

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Gorn Myson posted:

Agincourt cosplay is also popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JLow161/status/1057568780526780416