Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

basic hitler posted:

You dipshits trying to win cool points by making GBS threads on ftl are not achieving them and the thread title can't save you lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

no it's not it's literally always the same thing

you encountered a ship! they want to fight! *pause* *micromanage* *pause* *micromanage* oh look you won off to the next sector

This is what someone might assume if they hadn't played the game but it's not the truth except in the idiot reductionist way

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Netflix did nothing wrong making Henry Cavill look exactly like Witcher 1 Geralt in his makeup test

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Dead Cells is the most mixed bag roguelite I've played. it's so fun and addicting but the seams start to show way too quickly and it just turns into a grind and the levels don't change nearly enough.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

dead cells has some of the sloppiest shittiest boss design

most of these 2d dumbass roguelikes are just so the devs don't have to do the hardest part, which is make interesting and unique level designs with well designed challenges

instead they can just be like "oh lol its random, so here is just a bunch of bullshit to fight and run past"

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

With Dead Cells they nailed the combat and it's got a decent look with a lot of super fun weapons, but yeah the boss design is a joke and the levels are pretty sloppy and there isn't much to keep you going unless loot alone is enough.

Spelunky still stands out to me, because despite it being one of, if not the first in the genre, the level design always felt super interesting even if it was procedurally generated. There are very few games I've played that have a greater balance of risk and reward. I don't find that to be the case with most of the genre. Even games like BOI that everyone loves I couldn't get into at all.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

MrQwerty posted:

Netflix did nothing wrong making Henry Cavill look exactly like Witcher 1 Geralt in his makeup test

he's a giant loving dork in w1 and a giant loving dork who is kind of lovable in w3, so yes agreed

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

dreadmojo posted:

he's a giant loving dork in w1 and a giant loving dork who is kind of lovable in w3, so yes agreed

It should have been Joe Manganiello

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

veni veni veni posted:

Spelunky still stands out to me, because despite it being one of, if not the first in the genre, the level design always felt super interesting even if it was procedurally generated. There are very few games I've played that have a greater balance of risk and reward. I don't find that to be the case with most of the genre. Even games like BOI that everyone loves I couldn't get into at all.

the trick here is destructible terrain. this is why the random world generation of Terraria and Minecraft work so well. because if the random generator makes some hosed up area you can just tunnel through the walls.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

QuarkJets posted:

This is what someone might assume if they hadn't played the game but it's not the truth except in the idiot reductionist way

oh yeah sometimes instead of a ship you get a dialog full of text! ooooo exciting

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

a new study bible! posted:

Slay the Spire is the best roguelite

even if it is a little easy

Easy games are fun.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

MrQwerty posted:

I think the hair and makeup could be better but they'll probably improve on it more by the time the show comes out. Beardless Geralt makes perfect sense as well, given how it's the beginning of the series.

I think their choice for Ciri is loving poo poo though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SpazmasterX posted:

I think the hair and makeup could be better but they'll probably improve on it more by the time the show comes out. Beardless Geralt makes perfect sense as well, given how it's the beginning of the series.

I think their choice for Ciri is loving poo poo though.

I liked the photo i saw of triss, who is ciri?

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
they should remake red faction

edit: with real rear end voxel destructible terrain or some poo poo

jimmyjams fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 1, 2018

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Rutibex posted:

the trick here is destructible terrain. this is why the random world generation of Terraria and Minecraft work so well. because if the random generator makes some hosed up area you can just tunnel through the walls.

Ah yeah, destructible terrain. We should be glad Spelunky moved the genre forward with that, along with Nethack and other roguelikes that came before it

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
also the rail gun in red faction was a bad rear end gun. it had a heat sensing wallhack scope and the a.i. knew how to use it too so you had to watch your rear end or get one shotted through loving walls

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

veni veni veni posted:

Even games like BOI that everyone loves I couldn't get into at all.

I thought everyone hated binding of isaac because it's poo poo

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

My Linux Rig posted:

oh yeah sometimes instead of a ship you get a dialog full of text! ooooo exciting

other arguments by My Linux Rig:

all games are really just quick time events, you're just pressing buttons whenever they need to be pressed, boooorrrrring

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

ilmucche posted:

I thought everyone hated binding of isaac because it's poo poo

binding of isaac is poo poo but tons of people like it

it hits the same neurological buttons that a good slot machine hits

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Yo I hear some bitch has been talking poo poo about yoda stories

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ftl on hard is a very well designed game that lets you recover from poo poo situations by having good awareness of the way the game works, and the different weapons and system combos result in all kinds of different fights.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

With Dead Cells they nailed the combat and it's got a decent look with a lot of super fun weapons, but yeah the boss design is a joke and the levels are pretty sloppy and there isn't much to keep you going unless loot alone is enough.

Spelunky is fun because it was designed with the procedural level design and the gameplay mechanics actively working together. Like basically any other procedural generated game, they're more often than not just kind of completely separate?

Binding of Isaac it's just a bunch of pre-made rooms vomited into a map, with more often than not just 'gently caress you' rooms where there's stuff you just flat out can't do. Nuclear Throne is good but it's in spite of the procedural generation, since the only engagement the gameplay and the level generation have with each other is the density of enemies and like maybe an element of cover, though that's not really an explicit mechanic. Etc.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rutibex posted:

The funnest part of Terraria was draining lava onto other areas.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

Ftl on hard is a very well designed game that lets you recover from poo poo situations by having good awareness of the way the game works, and the different weapons and system combos result in all kinds of different fights.

Nah man you're always just using your mouse and keyboard to make things happen on a screen, it's super repetitive

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The funnest part of Terraria was draining lava onto other areas.

digging a hole from the ocean all the way into hell and creating an endless waterfall

eventually the game gives up trying to simulate it and deletes all the water in the ocean

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Binding of Isaac is painfully slow.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

fruit BOO!ts posted:

Yo I hear some bitch has been talking poo poo about yoda stories

indiana jones and his desktop adventures was better

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Unknown to me this is an unpopular opinion but binding of isaac is a fantastic game. The aesthetic is pretty gross but the power curve is so satisfying.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
The Thief series is trash.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

ratbert90 posted:

The Thief series is trash.

The 4th one was trash but 1 and 2 are incredible

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

thief is good actually because your character canonically smells like poo poo

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

The 4th one was trash but 1 and 2 are incredible

they were incredible in the medieval times of gaming but they aged even more poorly than deus ex

also thief 3 should be on this list if thief 1 is

Lunchabully
Jul 20, 2003
Pillbug

Caesar Saladin posted:

thief is good actually because your character canonically smells like poo poo

yeah this really helped with my immersion

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

Shibawanko posted:

they’re all variations on the same fight with the same weapons

it’s literally either laser weapons or rockets, and the only thing that changes on each ship is how many of these it has and how many hits it can take

and the game drags on through a million of these

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

My Linux Rig posted:

it’s literally either laser weapons or rockets, and the only thing that changes on each ship is how many of these it has and how many hits it can take

Lol, you never even finished the game on easy.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

My Linux Rig posted:

Rockets are a crutch that become near useless in advanced games, there are a few winning strats but because of starting loadout and luck youre always forced to adapt. The only "always good" choices are hacking and usually teleporting. There are other ways to fight and win too like fireboarding, crystal lockdown, lanius suffocation, so plenty of variety.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

a new study bible! posted:

Slay the Spire is the best roguelite

even if it is a little easy

I don't agree.

that it's easy

oh dope
Nov 2, 2006

No guilt, it feeds in plain sight

Halser posted:

I don't agree.

that it's easy

Easy or hard, either way it feels fair in a way I can't quite explain.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

SpazmasterX posted:

Beardless Geralt makes perfect sense as well, given how it's the beginning of the series.

people talkin poo poo about beardless Geralt and its like GERALT NEVER HAD A BEARD. That is, until you could make him have a beard then masturbate to him.

Either way the show is gonna be based on the books so they're just cribbing the games for the look and people are gonna be way mad about the outcome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
imo the Witcher series should just ape Witcher 1 as closely as possible at all times. Channel all of that corniness. I want to see all of these actual scenes from the first game...

- Geralt banging a wench in the old "haunted" watermill and her moans being mistaken for a vengeful ghost's wail by the townsolk.
- Random dwarfs walking down the street opining about how they "hosed a she-elf once".
- All notable characters including the king of the realm dropping everything during a crisis to challenge Geralt to a game of dice.
- Getting piss drunk and having to fight off killer piranha plants in some rear end in a top hat's backyard.
- Being randomly taunted with the line "your mother sucks dwarf cock!" every time Geralt gets into a fistfight.
- Geralt versus the Giant Crab being the most intense and hard fought battle of the series.