Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

So combine that with the UN condemning Detroit for shutting off people's water, and that's two major US cities condemned by the UN for their inhumane living conditions. Let's see how many more end up on the list.

Of course Detroit has the excuse that all the corporations that it invested in abandoned it. This is everything working as designed in San Francisco. It's a wonder there aren't more riots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's a wonder there aren't more riots.

Did you ever hear that terrible dad joke about the price of healthy eating and a gym membership versus the price of a case of dr. pepper? it's a really old and bad joke and yet it seems ever more apt day by day

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

:emptyquote:

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I remember learning about Hoovervilles in high school and being completely dumbfounded as to why and how that could happen.

now I live in Seattle and I'm like "oh so this is how this happens."
also the hoovervilles aren't as bad as they could be because the cops regularly bust 'em up or throw people who would've been in hoovervilles in prison

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

comedyblissoption posted:

also the hoovervilles aren't as bad as they could be because the cops regularly bust 'em up or throw people who would've been in hoovervilles in prison

Please it's not like 3 million people are in prison right now, or anything

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

So combine that with the UN condemning Detroit for shutting off people's water, and that's two major US cities condemned by the UN for their inhumane living conditions. Let's see how many more end up on the list.

Of course Detroit has the excuse that all the corporations that it invested in abandoned it. This is everything working as designed in San Francisco. It's a wonder there aren't more riots.

To be clear, the shantytowns are mostly in Oakland which is a much smaller tax base than San Francisco. So it’s pretty much the same process as Detroit just Oakland’s government hasn’t completely collapsed yet. Oakland’s government is caught between popular support in the flats (poor parts) for homeless support like building housing and declaring safe zones for shanty towns and political pressure from the hills (rich as gently caress) to “stop wasting money.”

It’s overall very similar to what happened to Detroit, rich communities like Palo Alto, Mountain View, Atherton, just push the poor people and homeless into cities like Oakland and Richmond while sharing none of the tax revenue.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

:laffo:

what the gently caress

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

I want that to be a cleverly disguised version of Papers Please so goddamn bad.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

(to three year old child who doesn't speak a word of english) "Cause No Trouble."

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

Shear Modulus posted:

(to three year old child who doesn't speak a word of english) "Cause No Trouble."

hey Arstotzkan border security may be a grey bureaucratic nightmare of shittiness and bribery but at least they don't detain literal babies

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

the seizing citizens' passports part was realistic at least

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

An AI Lie Detector Is Going to Start Questioning Travelers in the EU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ikanreed posted:

Please it's not like 3 million people are in prison right now, or anything

actually to be fair its only like 2.3 million people so half the population of the country im living in atm

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Aren't lie detectors mostly pseudo-science anyways? They're just giving a computer the chance to randomly harass you.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

yes it's just a tool for technobabble oppression just like regular lie detectors are today

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
"the lie detector did the racism, not the border agent who directly oversaw it"

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://i.imgur.com/QhFdmXH.gifv

note for later: a barrage of cheap helium-filled balloons can bring down drones

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

SlothfulCobra posted:

Aren't lie detectors mostly pseudo-science anyways? They're just giving a computer the chance to randomly harass you.

AI is even worse.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Rhesus Pieces posted:

*machine learning classifies balloons as terrorist weapon*

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

this is why google et al are gaming search results to herd people into the mainstream approved propaganda outlets and "Fact Check" sites

a lot of things have been memory holed in the last year by google--i first noticed it trying to find the biblical verse powerpoint slides the bush admin used internally to plan the iraq war, and the only source was a mirror on the daily mail--and it legit scares me as much as any of the stupid poo poo trump says.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Rhesus Pieces posted:

looks like a key bit of this is the long strings hanging from each balloon, so don't forget that when assembling your anti-drone armada!

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Rhesus Pieces posted:

nice. let a thousand balloons free. i thought we were running out of helium tho

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

bawfuls posted:

looks like a key bit of this is the long strings hanging from each balloon, so don't forget that when assembling your anti-drone armada!

it’s the exact same strategy as WW1 barrage balloons

cheap as gently caress too, the most expensive part is the helium

E: only drawback is the fact that rubber balloons are bad for the environment

Rhesus Pieces has issued a correction as of 20:11 on Nov 1, 2018

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Willie Tomg posted:

a lot of things have been memory holed in the last year by google--i first noticed it trying to find the biblical verse powerpoint slides the bush admin used internally to plan the iraq war, and the only source was a mirror on the daily mail--and it legit scares me as much as any of the stupid poo poo trump says.
it took me a while to find the credit card commercial where a patient doesn't receive treatment in an emergency room until his credit card is approved that used to be on youtube but no longer was

i also can't find the once-easily found video on youtube about some rich gently caress saying maybe we should bring back debtors' prisons on a mainstream news discussion panel without any eyebrows raised

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

it took me a while to find the credit card commercial where a patient doesn't receive treatment in an emergency room until his credit card is approved that used to be on youtube but no longer was

i also can't find the once-easily found video on youtube about some rich gently caress saying maybe we should bring back debtors' prisons on a mainstream news discussion panel without any eyebrows raised

https://adland.tv/commercials/discover-card-emergency-room-2001-030-usa

I just googled "credit card commercial emergency room" and it was the top result.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

nena was right

im depressed lol
Mar 12, 2013

cunts are still running the show.

Willie Tomg posted:

i've been on a jonestown kick, and i kept seeing references to this document called 'the penal colony'.

i searched endless variations on google to no avail (i.e. "the penal colony" -kafka | "penal colony" jonestown etc. etc), but ended up finding it rather quickly on yandex. https://www.scribd.com/document/377679444/Penal-Colony

of course this document is probably bullshit and i doubt it's high on memory-hole agenda but it made me think about this spooky kind of censorship as well.

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008

how many unironic uses of the words “terror kite” have we heard to justify shooting Palestinians that got too close to a fence? we don’t need machines to do it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

https://youtu.be/ars458hcETE

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
https://twitter.com/PopTartsUS/status/1058167054803423234

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Kill all brands

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ikanreed posted:

Kill all brands

Do a Butlerian Jihad, but against Brands.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
https://twitter.com/Reductress/status/1058388486259163138

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

MonsieurChoc posted:

Do a Butlerian Jihad, but against Brands.

لنفعلها

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham

Rated PG-34 posted:

nice. let a thousand balloons free. i thought we were running out of helium tho

It's the highly purified helium used for super cooling that is becoming scarce, it only takes a small fraction to make a balloon less dense than air.

The other option is to fill them with hydrogen :clint:

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
https://mobile.twitter.com/samfbiddle/status/1058424012785795079

Food Boner
Jul 2, 2005

lmao

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

uh

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

it says "conspiracy theory"

i wonder what other insane conspiracy theories you cam target

q anon? protocols of the elders of zion? birthers?