Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Soothing Vapors posted:

When I'm picking someone to mediate one of my cases, my first choice is usually a retired judge or a superstar of the local bar. My second choice, though, is almost always an emotionally stunted law student who hates the law and has zero litigation experience, a drinking problem, and severe impulse control issues

:lol:

evilweasel posted:

that's nice, i'm in a course to become a certified nfl quarterback

:lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

evilweasel posted:

Lmao

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

evilweasel posted:

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
loving amazing

https://twitter.com/kriswernowsky/status/1058037461782355968

https://twitter.com/Taz_Atkinson/status/1058037898992332801

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Toona the Cat posted:

I’m in course to become a certified mediator and this seems vastly better than actually practicing law. Hope rises again.

Why would I hire you when you've got no experience in evaluating a case?

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Soothing Vapors posted:

zero litigation experience, a drinking problem, and severe impulse control issues

Good enough for the supreme court, though.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Seriously, mediation is the hardest thing I do. Litigating is easy. Mediating is brutal.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

evilweasel posted:

Rack 'em.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

https://twitter.com/RVAwonk/status/1058043735060242432

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

CaptainScraps posted:

Seriously, mediation is the hardest thing I do. Litigating is easy. Mediating is brutal.

My extremely limited experience with mediators is that they spend lots of time rubbing their temples and asking the parties for "movement on the dollar issue." Then they leave the room and everyone glares at each other. Then they come back and ramble on about their glory days. Later they send their bill, which includes fees for all the time they spent ruminating about the particulars of the case at home, presumably while wearing a robe and smoking a pipe.

If you don't have glory days to ramble about how can you expect to fill the shoes of one of these august magistrates?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

evilweasel posted:

mastershakeman posted:

I know you think it's a good idea to play for the bills but it really isn't worth it no matter how much they pay you

new thread title, then move this thread to SAS

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
All our serious arbitration is in-court and is sometimes mandatory for small bullshit cases. Many a baby lawyer has hosed up their case forgetting that poo poo.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I'm a qualified mediator because the Course was free to me and totaled like 3 years of carry-over CLE credit.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

blarzgh posted:

I'm a qualified mediator because the Course was free to me and totaled like 3 years of carry-over CLE credit.

Dude. I wouldn’t tell anybody that I was a QB for the Browns even if you got credit for 3 years in only a few games.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Lote posted:

Dude. I wouldn’t tell anybody that I was a QB for the Browns even if you got credit for 3 years in only a few games.

Ah, you see I donate a few days a year to my County's low-cost mediation program, so much like your analogy I'm constantly disappointing people with false hope in a lost cause.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

blarzgh posted:

disappointing people with false hope in a lost cause.

This would be a great thread title.

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

evilweasel posted:

Speaking of useful job skills, I can now add choreography and dance instruction to my resume right next to team building, event planning, and voice acting.

These are all things I have been paid to do as an in house counsel.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

blarzgh posted:

Free to me is why I’m here. The instructor was one of my professors in a mediation class I took. Basically she said it would enable me to do the mandatory custody and divorce mediation, and some low level federal stuff like SEC disputes. She has a mediation firm and is willing to throw me a few bones.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

How can she throw you bones when both sides to each dispute look at your resume and “Lol no” is the only thing they agree on?

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Soothing Vapors posted:

When I'm picking someone to mediate one of my cases, my first choice is usually a retired judge or a superstar of the local bar. My second choice, though, is almost always an emotionally stunted law student who hates the law and has zero litigation experience, a drinking problem, and severe impulse control issues

evilweasel posted:

Close the thread, we're done here.

Edit: Toona this is going to be the lovely sequel to the law school saga.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Look Sir Droids posted:

How can she throw you bones when both sides to each dispute look at your resume and “Lol no” is the only thing they agree on?

After all, to negotiate a dispute into resolution, the parties will need some common ground

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I love this thread.

First hearing in the morning attempting to get a guy released from probation early. Hopefully I can win this thing.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Toona the Cat posted:

Free to me is why I’m here. The instructor was one of my professors in a mediation class I took. Basically she said it would enable me to do the mandatory custody and divorce mediation, and some low level federal stuff like SEC disputes. She has a mediation firm and is willing to throw me a few bones.

Ugh. If you need help with family law pm me. Half of it is knowing where agreements break down and how to prevent future fuckups.

Seriously I'm so god-damned picky about which mediator for which party.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

I have to use the court mediators for my cases and drill each client on poo poo and the fact they don't have to agree. My county is a recommending county (they do a report of recommendations if no agreement) so half of it is just getting the asks in there.

Then they agree to everything, regret it in two weeks, and the court tells them to eat poo poo.

The other half of the prep is nailing down all the particulars now before some rear end in a top hat runs with it.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Mr. Nice! posted:

I love this thread.

First hearing in the morning attempting to get a guy released from probation early. Hopefully I can win this thing.

Make a checklist

Client finished all conditions
No violations
No new cases while on probation

Of course that could be all for nothing if the PO hates him for whatever reasons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Tokelau All Star posted:

Make a checklist

Client finished all conditions
No violations
No new cases while on probation

Of course that could be all for nothing if the PO hates him for whatever reasons.

The PO is brand new to him cause his old one moved down state. His objection is entirely based upon the fact he’s had only one meeting with him and the dude got mad that the new PO didn’t say he was done like the old one said.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Why is no one posting? I’m at a CLE where the goddamn WiFi is busted.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
be the posting you want to see in the world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Won my hearing!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Look Sir Droids posted:

I'm busy at work trying to listen to every single red letter media video . Its gonna be a long slog but I will persevere

Also last night was the first time in months I didn't have a drink, I think Halloween cheered me up

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Mr. Nice! posted:

Won my hearing!

Retire now

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

100% victory record.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Look Sir Droids posted:

Busy dancing. Go dance a little, you'll feel entertained.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Won my hearing!

Good work, knew you had it in you. Celebratory tacos and whisky at the cabin.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

Mr. Nice! posted:

Won my hearing!

:tipshat:

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

I’m drowning in bank internal compliance checklists (Yuns probably did those a decade ago or whatever) and I’m like two weeks behind on my time. Not like I post here very often anyway.

On the bright side, beautiful day outside. I can see it if I get right up against the window in my office and look to the side because otherwise it’s just a view of a building. Go to law school.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

disjoe posted:

and I’m like two weeks behind on my time.

Noooooo

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Sunlight is for closers

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

IT ONLY GETS WORSE THE LONGER YOU PUT IT OFF HEED MY WORDS NEW ASSOCIATES

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

disjoe posted:

I’m drowning in bank internal compliance checklists (Yuns probably did those a decade ago or whatever) and I’m like two weeks behind on my time. Not like I post here very often anyway.

On the bright side, beautiful day outside. I can see it if I get right up against the window in my office and look to the side because otherwise it’s just a view of a building. Go to law school.
I can't stay away when someone mentions bank compliance and regulatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Yuns posted:

I can't stay away when someone mentions bank compliance and regulatory.

We had a borrower fail KYC recently. I’ve never seen that before. Obviously the transaction immediately came to a halt but I don’t know what happened next.