Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GargleBlaster
Mar 17, 2008

Stupid Narutard

etalian posted:

Laughing how Apple decided to use the butterfly keys everybody loves for their Macbook Air refresh.

I shouted at the screen when they mentioned that.

Improved mine with a strong blast from a compu cleaner, but I still get double spaces if I press the spacebar in the middle (which happens due to muscle memory and finger positions if a word ends in t, g, b, y, h or n). Still trying to decide whether I want to put myself through the hassle of sending it away and waiting for some kind of bad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The newer ones have a rubber membrane that keeps the dust out so you shouldn't be having those double tap problems anymore. The key travel is still the same though.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Is there any news about the 2xxx generation of mobile Nvidia GPUs? The Lenovo X1 Extreme looks just about perfect, but that 1050 Ti is right at the bottom of what I would want from a GPU.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
No news yet, but I also wouldn't hold your breath. For the 10-series, the 1080/1070 came out in May/June, the 1060/1050 in October, and the mobile 1050/Ti in January, with actual availability taking a bit longer--so about 6-7 months after the 1080.

If they do something similar with the 20-series, we wouldn't expect to see them in laptops until the spring.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Bob Morales posted:

B&N is probably going out of business within the next year or so

People have been saying this since the first time I looked at this thread, which was... 2015, apparently? So unless there's a specific new concern it seems like an unfulfilled prophecy to me. :shrug:

space marine todd posted:

Is there any news about the 2xxx generation of mobile Nvidia GPUs? The Lenovo X1 Extreme looks just about perfect, but that 1050 Ti is right at the bottom of what I would want from a GPU.

You seem to be treading the exact same FOMO loop I did, with very similar requirements, so let me save you a couple weeks: get an X1 Extreme or XPS 15. The 1050ti is fine, unless you have very specific gaming requirements that you haven't mentioned. It runs everything I've thrown at it at 1080p with medium/high settings, and a GTX1060 or above in laptops tends to get expensive and require annoying sacrifices or big money or both, as we've already discussed. This poo poo is subjective af but in my opinion that is the point at which you're probably better off with a separate laptop and desktop (unless you have Aero 15x money and really want one machine). Also the XPS 15 has 4-lane Thunderbolt 3 which will allow for external GPUs in the future should the 1050ti ever fail you. I have no idea if the X1 Extreme does, I may have to figure out how to test that myself.

The fingerprint scanner issue on my Extreme seems to have been due to me pressing too hard, a light touch works fine. I haven't gotten any BSODs or weird poo poo in a while now either, so I think the last BIOS update corrected whatever that was (knock on wood). I think I'm going to stick with it.

Kind of pissed at Thinkpad support though, my last few experiences were great but this time around I've been waiting on a support call since Saturday, still no love. I guess you have to call in.

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 1, 2018

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Mu Zeta posted:

The newer ones have a rubber membrane that keeps the dust out so you shouldn't be having those double tap problems anymore. The key travel is still the same though.

In theory. Apple was even cagier than usual talking about it, and was going way out of their way to avoid claiming it increased reliability. I dunno whether that means they're just dancing around to avoid admitting there was a problem in the first place or what, but I wouldn't expect the 3rd gen to avoid the reliability problems of the older ones completely, if at all. It's still a loud ergonomic nightmare of a keyboard whether it works or not, and tanks the value of anything it's built into at this point. Apple will come out with some new thing that looks and feels exactly like the 2015 keyboard except with some stupid new feature and call it a "revolutionary new design" sooner or later anyway.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Apple will come out with some new thing that looks and feels exactly like the 2015 keyboard except with some stupid new feature and call it a "revolutionary new design" sooner or later anyway.

Nah, they'll never regress on the extra 1mm of thickness this would require

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Clark Nova posted:

Nah, they'll never regress on the extra 1mm of thickness this would require

They'll just take it out of the battery, especially when they finally port their poo poo to ARM and leave the PC-compatible world behind again.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Unsinkabear posted:

People have been saying this since the first time I looked at this thread, which was... 2015, apparently? So unless there's a specific new concern it seems like an unfulfilled prophecy to me. :shrug:

They are for sale again. It would suck if they closed because I like going there to get a drink or two and internet for a few hours.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mu Zeta posted:

Yeah that was a deal breaker for me even though everything else like the improved screen looked like a good upgrade from the aged Macbook Air design.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

It’s not perfect but I prefer the new keyboard

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Unsinkabear posted:

You seem to be treading the exact same FOMO loop I did, with very similar requirements, so let me save you a couple weeks: get an X1 Extreme or XPS 15. The 1050ti is fine, unless you have very specific gaming requirements that you haven't mentioned. It runs everything I've thrown at it at 1080p with medium/high settings, and a GTX1060 or above in laptops tends to get expensive and require annoying sacrifices or big money or both, as we've already discussed. This poo poo is subjective af but in my opinion that is the point at which you're probably better off with a separate laptop and desktop (unless you have Aero 15x money and really want one machine). Also the XPS 15 has 4-lane Thunderbolt 3 which will allow for external GPUs in the future should the 1050ti ever fail you. I have no idea if the X1 Extreme does, I may have to figure out how to test that myself.

The fingerprint scanner issue on my Extreme seems to have been due to me pressing too hard, a light touch works fine. I haven't gotten any BSODs or weird poo poo in a while now either, so I think the last BIOS update corrected whatever that was (knock on wood). I think I'm going to stick with it.

Kind of pissed at Thinkpad support though, my last few experiences were great but this time around I've been waiting on a support call since Saturday, still no love. I guess you have to call in.

Haha, you're totally right. By the way, the X1 Extreme has 4-lane TB3 so eGPU is definitely an option.

Do you know what the DPC latency is like? Here's a tool if you want to test it: https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
I need to replace my laptop yesterday. Has anybody had any issues in regards to Dell or Lenovo Outlet laptops arriving at their doorstep way late? I remember reading that it can take a while for Lenovo stuff to ship, but I think that was for custom laptops.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

depending on what you want you can possibly get the dell you need from a B&M

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Statutory Ape posted:

depending on what you want you can possibly get the dell you need from a B&M
I forgot the importance of specifying nationality! I'm in the US, looking for an 8th gen i5, 8 GB of RAM, and a 256 GB SSD; most intensive thing I may end up doing will be some really lightweight dabbling w/ Blender (we're talking stuff that I can currently do with my GPU-less 4 year old craptop). I currently have an HP 15 equippef with an AMD A6 with 4 GB of RAM and a 5400 rpm HDD; it is basically monolithic at this point.

Don't want to spend a crazy amount since I'm in grad school; anything over $700 is something I can't justify spending money on or bringing everywhere. I'm limited to public transit right now but I may bum a ride off a friend on Saturday to go to Staples or something (Costco, Micro Center, Best Buy etc. are kind of out of the way).

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Leroy Dennui posted:

I forgot the importance of specifying nationality! I'm in the US, looking for an 8th gen i5, 8 GB of RAM, and a 256 GB SSD; most intensive thing I may end up doing will be some really lightweight dabbling w/ Blender (we're talking stuff that I can currently do with my GPU-less 4 year old craptop). I currently have an HP 15 equippef with an AMD A6 with 4 GB of RAM and a 5400 rpm HDD; it is basically monolithic at this point.

Don't want to spend a crazy amount since I'm in grad school; anything over $700 is something I can't justify spending money on or bringing everywhere. I'm limited to public transit right now but I may bum a ride off a friend on Saturday to go to Staples or something (Costco, Micro Center, Best Buy etc. are kind of out of the way).

what about a microsoft store they carry dell xps 13 i think, which is basically the laptop you just described.

or you could even grab a refurbed xps 13 from dell directly with 8th gen i5

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Leroy Dennui posted:

I need to replace my laptop yesterday. Has anybody had any issues in regards to Dell or Lenovo Outlet laptops arriving at their doorstep way late? I remember reading that it can take a while for Lenovo stuff to ship, but I think that was for custom laptops.

I bought a Lenovo Outlet laptop two weeks ago and it shipped the next day, and arrived at my house the day after. I'm only a two hour drive from their warehouse though.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DrDork posted:

No news yet, but I also wouldn't hold your breath. For the 10-series, the 1080/1070 came out in May/June, the 1060/1050 in October, and the mobile 1050/Ti in January, with actual availability taking a bit longer--so about 6-7 months after the 1080.

If they do something similar with the 20-series, we wouldn't expect to see them in laptops until the spring.

Yeah A) The 20 series cards will take a while to roll out in laptops and
B) laptop gaming graphics cards are "good enough" for 99.995% of gamers out there, especially at the native 1920x1080 resolution. It kills it pushing 1080p @ 60hz. In 2018 this is pretty achievable for a mid range gpu on AAA games.

I would not worry about graphics unless you are a3d game developer, in to VR, or spergy as gently caress

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

So a goon here was kind enough to recommend https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=24425 charger to me, but its sold out and will be for ~3 more weeks. Is there anywhere else to get something comparable for the same price?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Leroy Dennui posted:

My Dell outlet laptop arrived in a few days. I imagine they aren't listed on the page until they are boxed up ready to ship.

If you need a new laptop by a certain time, do not trust the time estimates on the Lenovo (and probably Dell also) order pages.
TBH, while they make some great laptops, I would recommend limiting your interaction with Lenovo as much as possible. You will be more successful trying to ask a wall to move out of your way.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

CopperHound posted:

My Dell outlet laptop arrived in a few days. I imagine they aren't listed on the page until they are boxed up ready to ship.

If you need a new laptop by a certain time, do not trust the time estimates on the Lenovo (and probably Dell also) order pages.
TBH, while they make some great laptops, I would recommend limiting your interaction with Lenovo as much as possible. You will be more successful trying to ask a wall to move out of your way.

That helps narrow things down a bit, thanks!

Since the XPS 13 was suggested to me earlier and it's the only recommended Dell laptop in the OP, is the Inspiron line utter trash? Most reviews I read say the battery life is poor, but the 4 hours unplugged figure sounds amazing compared to the 2 hours I'm used to. I also read that the Inspiron 2-in-1s can run hot, but I don't have any preference towards 2-in-1s anyway; I also don't need an amazing screen if Inspiron screens are sub-par (I have an Ultrasharp that I got for digital art, and I don't do any art stuff outside of home). I don't have a desktop, so this will be my main computer; getting a merely adequate refurbished unit for $500-600 would be nice, but I'll go for the XPS if it's the only machine that can satisfactorily replace a desktop.

I'm also not opposed to buying an Aspire that fits my specs if they don't have any known major issues.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004
NOBODY WANTS TO SEE PICTURES OF YOUR UGLY FUCKING KIDS YOU DIPSHIT
Is there a top-tier, goon recommended, 15 inch gaming portable at this point? There’s like 4 different Razer Blade variants and I’m seeing lots of qc issues. Price isn’t an issue.

Also is there any chance we get laptops with 2080 cards within the next year or so?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

beergod posted:

Is there a top-tier, goon recommended, 15 inch gaming portable at this point? There’s like 4 different Razer Blade variants and I’m seeing lots of qc issues. Price isn’t an issue.

Also is there any chance we get laptops with 2080 cards within the next year or so?

Literally cover your second question six posts up from this one, and again above that

What refresh rate display, what specific card do you want, what games do you want to play. There's a lot of "top tier" gaming "laptops" available, they are all mostly terrible loud and not particularly durable and you can just shop by desired specs and then filter by price.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Leroy Dennui posted:

getting a merely adequate refurbished unit for $500-600 would be nice, but I'll go for the XPS if it's the only machine that can satisfactorily replace a desktop.

Fwiw I snagged a ~$600 refurb XPS 13 from the outlet yesterday. Sure, it's only a 128gb SSD and I'm going to upgrade that soon, but still, some of their refurbs go for a damned good price.

e: and actually I had just barely missed a ~$500 one, too.

Telum fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Nov 2, 2018

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

beergod posted:

Is there a top-tier, goon recommended, 15 inch gaming portable at this point?

Aero 15x if you want maximum detail and refresh rate :pcgaming:, XPS 15 if you want smallest footprint and best battery runtime, X1 Extreme if you want best input devices and durability. Everything in between is lame for the reasons Hadlock already gave.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

space marine todd posted:

Haha, you're totally right. By the way, the X1 Extreme has 4-lane TB3 so eGPU is definitely an option.

Do you know what the DPC latency is like? Here's a tool if you want to test it: https://www.thesycon.de/eng/latency_check.shtml

Thanks!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Zack Ater posted:

Fwiw I snagged a ~$600 refurb XPS 13 from the outlet yesterday. Sure, it's only a 128gb SSD and I'm going to upgrade that soon, but still, some of their refurbs go for a damned good price.

I would recommend refurbs as a great way to save money especially for people who have limited budgets.

Models that are often just one year old will often have big discounts due to product line refreshes.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Aero 15x if you want maximum detail and refresh rate :pcgaming:, XPS 15 if you want smallest footprint and best battery runtime, X1 Extreme if you want best input devices and durability. Everything in between is lame for the reasons Hadlock already gave.

Thanks everyone for the recs. Local microcenter has an xps 15 9570 with 32gigs of ram and a 1tb ssd with the 4K screen for 2k. Figure I can use my 1080 in an egpu if I want to go crazy. Stoked about setting it up today.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Zack Ater posted:

That's the one with the 7th gen Core i5, right? I'm leaning towards that one since it looks like a better deal than the more expensive 8th gen i3 machine with the same storage space and half the RAM. I know "future-proofing" is impossible, but if any goons think the 8th gen i5's four cores are going to be a much better investment in the near future for my needs (school, digital art, DAWs) let me know before tonight's end.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

For "future proofing" your money is probably better spent on ram than the latest generation processor when you account for the fact that you can't upgrade that ram after the fact in an xps13.

E: the SSD can be upgraded, so don't feel like to need to pay the crazy price Dell charges to upgrade to a 1tb drive.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 2, 2018

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

beergod posted:

Thanks everyone for the recs. Local microcenter has an xps 15 9570 with 32gigs of ram and a 1tb ssd with the 4K screen for 2k. Figure I can use my 1080 in an egpu if I want to go crazy. Stoked about setting it up today.

Congrats, that seems crazy cheap for those specs. Full disclosure, what I said about XPS 15 battery life is mostly relevant to the 1080p version. It's still the best battery life compared to any other 4k model afaik, but those displays hoover power so it'll be about half the 1080p's runtime. Notebookcheck says 9 hours, I've seen some users post as low as 5, so depending on your use you'll probably be somewhere in the middle. Lots of people loving worship that display though, so if you like that glossy high-contrast life it's arguably worth it. Hope you like it!

P.S. if they have any deals on the 1080p version please mail me one, there's no microcenter in FL. :cry:

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Leroy Dennui posted:

That's the one with the 7th gen Core i5, right? I'm leaning towards that one since it looks like a better deal than the more expensive 8th gen i3 machine with the same storage space and half the RAM. I know "future-proofing" is impossible, but if any goons think the 8th gen i5's four cores are going to be a much better investment in the near future for my needs (school, digital art, DAWs) let me know before tonight's end.

8th gen, actually! I had my search as the 13 9360 and 15 9570, with 8th gen i5/i7. The 128gb 9360 8th gen i5s show up every so often for $700 or less before coupon, the 256gb bumps it up to $900+. One or two of the less expensive ones tended to show up every few days, at least in the two weeks I'd been checking the outlet.

I had been leaning more towards the XPS 15, I think, but at that price the 13 was an easy choice.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Hey, I have a question about Lenovo batteries. If the serial number listed in the vantage app doesn't match what is printed on the battery, is it a pretty sure sign that it is counterfeit?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

"Use of enother battery may present a fire or explosion"

I don't know for sure, but on my 2012 original Lenovo battery they spelled "another" correctly. Mine also doesn't have the Sanyo branding so maybe they outsourced battery production and someone typoed the new label.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Lol, nice catch. I'm going to go get my thirty bucks back and see if I can get Paypal to screw them for trying to pass off fakes as genuine.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Rexxed posted:

"Use of enother battery may present a fire or explosion"
I misread that as "use of another battery may prevent a fire or explosion", which in the case of a fraudulent battery might actually be true.

beergod
Nov 1, 2004

Unsinkabear posted:

Congrats, that seems crazy cheap for those specs. Full disclosure, what I said about XPS 15 battery life is mostly relevant to the 1080p version. It's still the best battery life compared to any other 4k model afaik, but those displays hoover power so it'll be about half the 1080p's runtime. Notebookcheck says 9 hours, I've seen some users post as low as 5, so depending on your use you'll probably be somewhere in the middle. Lots of people loving worship that display though, so if you like that glossy high-contrast life it's arguably worth it. Hope you like it!

P.S. if they have any deals on the 1080p version please mail me one, there's no microcenter in FL. :cry:

Does changing the resolution to 1080 in window change the battery (to ie not run it at native)? Honestly I don’t care that much but that could be useful in a pinch.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

beergod posted:

Does changing the resolution to 1080 in window change the battery (to ie not run it at native)? Honestly I don’t care that much but that could be useful in a pinch.

I think it's still using the same pixels, just grouping them into squares of 4 to emulate 1080p. But you can disable the touchscreen in bios to save some power, if you don't use that

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=507473681

Walmart is apparently discontinuing this exclusive Huawei Matebook model with a Ryzen 5 2500U (strong CPU, better-than-Intel-iGPU.) If it's still in stock near you, it may be as low as $300 which is a hell of a deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

drat, the ram is a bit low but that's a sweet deal