Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.
Bind sight gets even more fun when you bring in those locate corpse clickies off merchants. Make a corpse somewhere useful to see and then use the click to target corpse which works across the entire zone. Target yourself and cast bind sight and then use your previous target toggle hotkey. Bind sight will land on the corpse. I use this for solo Quillmane when on some toons like ench, wiz, or shaman since no tracking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
nm

smiling giraffe fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Oct 26, 2018

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

Going to laugh if they don't do earthquakes this month.

On the one hand I enjoy a good round of watching nerds get super annoyed but on the other hand the server is pretty unbearable without the quakes.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
I'm having trouble finding my mojo on this server. I've got a 31 Shaman, a 34 rogue, and a 23 monk and I feel like I spend more time running around looking for groups than I do actually grinding mobs.

retpocileh
Oct 15, 2003

JohnnyDangerously posted:

I'm having trouble finding my mojo on this server. I've got a 31 Shaman, a 34 rogue, and a 23 monk and I feel like I spend more time running around looking for groups than I do actually grinding mobs.

Sounds like you may want to try your hand at soloing, which the melees are gonna suck at. Shaman are gods at 60, and I was under the impression they were pretty solid by 31.

At that level though, I would definitely go to HHK gobs. There’s a group there literally 24/7, shouldn’t take you long to get in, and it’s the fastest exp in the game from 24-34.

On another note, is there some beautiful goon out there who has stopped playing or doesn’t care about making really bad deals who would be interested in selling me their COS for dramatically under market value?

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
the monk will solo fine with some long duration buffs, and shamans are pretty poo poo without fungi and before enstill tbh

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

please knock Mom! posted:

the monk will solo fine with some long duration buffs, and shamans are pretty poo poo without fungi and before enstill tbh

Then if you don't have JBB it will be tough because it's saves so much mana at and after 45.

Friend of mine got to 60 and he was not really OP until he got Torpor which is ~100k

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm an iksar without JBB but with fungi and I've been a soloing machine since 39, now at 54. But yeah, JBB is super good, you're def gonna miss it.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
Anyone got a Lodi Shield or Shell section for sale?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
With my Wiz I stopped being able to find groups around 35, and was root/nuking painfully slowly. A goon on the discord told me to just buy a bunch of sow pots and start quadding, and I did, and holy poo poo. Back on track, getting almost an entire level each session just about. Each pull is like 6-8% of a level and it takes about as long to recover from as it did just root/nuking. Hit 39 last night, might try doing Great Divide camps as a change of pace from Overthere.

Seems like it's just a dead spot for grouping. It does suck going from the relative plenty of reliable grouping locations 25-35, and then suddenly there's only that one level 35+ Mistmoore group (and you're not getting in at prime time). Presumably it gets better when you're able to just chill at City of Mist?

I say all this as a porting class who could relocate between SolA, Guk, MM, or Highkeep at a whim. I think I saw a group in Tower of Frozen Shadow once, but it was a guild thing. I spent a bit of time at Splitpaw, but it was mostly soloers.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
nobody wants underleveled nukers in city of mist tbh, why not just quad instead of go to that awful zone?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

nobody wants underleveled nukers in city of mist tbh, why not just quad instead of go to that awful zone?
Oh I meant for generic melee dps (as the poster above was talking about their rogue/monk), I'm not really interested in grinding in CoM myself.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe
The whole point of playing a wizard is to cast big nukes. This means having massive aggro, this means playing alone because a group will hate you.

While bard swarm kiting was an emergent property of the game mechanics misunderstood by the devs, wizards were 100% supposed to be a solo class.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

KingFisher posted:

The whole point of playing a wizard is to cast big nukes. This means having massive aggro, this means playing alone because a group will hate you.

While bard swarm kiting was an emergent property of the game mechanics misunderstood by the devs, wizards were 100% supposed to be a solo class.
For me, it was really just a gear issue. I went from wearing majority newbie cloth armor and quest items, hit my mid 30s and suddenly found myself with enough plat to actually start buying decent gear. Going from 1300 mana to 1800 made it a LOT easier to solo without dying the second you get a string of resists.

I've never actually explicitly set out to port for money, I just help people in whatever zone I'm in (and often receive lavish tips). A nice guy gave me some Loam pieces he had laying around when I bought something unrelated from him. Some goons gave me stuff too. 20-34 was rough for the reasons you mentioned.

E: I found my warrior really frustrating because he can't really solo, and he isn't exactly in-demand for grouping either. I'm thinking of making an Ogre Shadowknight or a Troll Shaman for "grouping but also retaining the ability to solo."

Rogues and Monks look really fun too, but I don't have the cash to outfit one very effectively, and there's a lot of them.

frest fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Oct 29, 2018

War Eagle
Mar 27, 2007

Getting eaten by the Abominable Snowman, thats a freak accident.

frest posted:

For me, it was really just a gear issue. I went from wearing majority newbie cloth armor and quest items, hit my mid 30s and suddenly found myself with enough plat to actually start buying decent gear. Going from 1300 mana to 1800 made it a LOT easier to solo without dying the second you get a string of resists.

I've never actually explicitly set out to port for money, I just help people in whatever zone I'm in (and often receive lavish tips). A nice guy gave me some Loam pieces he had laying around when I bought something unrelated from him. Some goons gave me stuff too. 20-34 was rough for the reasons you mentioned.

Oh man, wish you would have posted earlier. You missed out on the easiest levelling in the game for porting classes. The Bread delivery quests are dead easy and silly experience up until 38 or 39. (Unless they've been nerfed since I played last)

frest
Sep 17, 2004

War Eagle posted:

Oh man, wish you would have posted earlier. You missed out on the easiest levelling in the game for porting classes. The Bread delivery quests are dead easy and silly experience up until 38 or 39. (Unless they've been nerfed since I played last)

I did them, quite a bit. I've just blanked it from my memory (and also watched like 3 different series on Netflix at the time). I'd usually get on a list for highkeep or whatever, then do Bread quest until a spot opened up.

It was already getting tedious/slow xp at 34, I can't imagine doing it at 39.

Zaepho
Oct 31, 2013

War Eagle posted:

Can confirm making ogers fat on bread is indeed good for grinding XP with minimal paying attention. I'm 32 and planning to probably take it to 34 before I take off on the quadding journey. Hopefully I will have enough plat to keep me in SoW potions and maybe replace some cloth with gear to help with this until I have the full (ish) set of ports.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
Switchblade Switcharoo

frest posted:

E: I found my warrior really frustrating because he can't really solo, and he isn't exactly in-demand for grouping either. I'm thinking of making an Ogre Shadowknight or a Troll Shaman for "grouping but also retaining the ability to solo."

Rogues and Monks look really fun too, but I don't have the cash to outfit one very effectively, and there's a lot of them.

I made my char on this server as a warrior because it was before my friends left.

There are three forms of warrior. First is "boy I wish taunting worked", then "I have some aggro weapons but shadowknights and paladins can cast a lvl 4 spell to attain all the aggro you made times four" , then miniature raid god ie literally nothing can tank better than you with innate class dmg reduction on top of defensive stance.

The difference between the last two forms is wiiiiiidde.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

EVIL Gibson posted:

I made my char on this server as a warrior because it was before my friends left.

There are three forms of warrior. First is "boy I wish taunting worked", then "I have some aggro weapons but shadowknights and paladins can cast a lvl 4 spell to attain all the aggro you made times four" , then miniature raid god ie literally nothing can tank better than you with innate class dmg reduction on top of defensive stance.

The difference between the last two forms is wiiiiiidde.

I was under the impression that even the raid god version still is just dumping a full set of click charges on a boss, which is more of a guild investment than a personal skillset in any event.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Hey goon wizard, do you have your staff of temporal flux? If not I can help with this, it is essential for leveling. My wizzy is 59, and I can't imagine quadding without it.

I am looking for the 59 necro pet spell Emissary of Thule if any goons have a copy for sale.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Pratan posted:

Hey goon wizard, do you have your staff of temporal flux? If not I can help with this, it is essential for leveling. My wizzy is 59, and I can't imagine quadding without it.

I am looking for the 59 necro pet spell Emissary of Thule if any goons have a copy for sale.

I do, and it is utterly, completely essential. I try to structure my quadding sessions as like, start in WC, bum a clarity, gate to <wherever>, quad for 30 minutes, give someone a port back to WC, repeat.

Also Zaepho I still owe you the Lake Rathe component for the Staff, hit me up some time if you're still working on it.

Herv
Mar 24, 2005

Soiled Meat

frest posted:

I was under the impression that even the raid god version still is just dumping a full set of click charges on a boss, which is more of a guild investment than a personal skillset in any event.

Aggro is one thing, but damage mitigation is the big deal. Mallets, strings, etc etc quickly fix the aggro problem Warriors faced on Live.
I don't think its really possible to have a Knight (in era) tank AoW, Tunare, Vyemm, even a slowed Vulak can 1 round ya.

https://wiki.project1999.com/Disciplines#Warrior

quote:

Defensive Discipline lvl 55 Places you in a defensive combat stance that causes you to take less damage [35%], but also lowers your damage output.

/disc defensive is what makes a Warrior for raid target tanking.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Herv posted:

/disc defensive is what makes a Warrior for raid target tanking.
That's... a pretty significant difference. Still, it seems like a bit of a long-shot to shoot for, especially if you're not already in a guild that's going to assist you getting to that point.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

frest posted:

That's... a pretty significant difference. Still, it seems like a bit of a long-shot to shoot for, especially if you're not already in a guild that's going to assist you getting to that point.

Yah, so unless you want to do some awesome poopsocking on starting lines for a raid boss coming into spawn window, then something other than warrior may be better.

Da Mott Man
Aug 3, 2012

Even just getting to level cap as a warrior is a feat onto its own. You are 100% gear dependent, have zero utility for getting around and require a ton of expensive and/or consumable items just for quality of life. I.E. jboots,sow pots/invis pots,clicky bp/paying for ports, recharge cap, etc.

The expense alone is more than you can normally earn playing.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

I want to know how Auld Lang Syne warriors can even exist because goddamn, even in exclusively ALS groups that still has to suck.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

dromal phrenia posted:

I want to know how Auld Lang Syne warriors can even exist because goddamn, even in exclusively ALS groups that still has to suck.

I have to imagine that if your group is entirely untwinked ADL dps classes, warrior threat generation is probably not that big an issue. In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king etc

The real heroes are the clerics or enchanters.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

frest posted:

I have to imagine that if your group is entirely untwinked ADL dps classes, warrior threat generation is probably not that big an issue. In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king etc

The real heroes are the clerics or enchanters.

I have played alt clerics enough on for raids to know one thing; Fuuuuuucck thaaaaaaatt.

CH chains, timing, making a billion macros to quick target all tanks. Not enjoyable to the least.

If that is the end state of clerics, then don't want to play one for real.

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
Fun Shoe

EVIL Gibson posted:

I have played alt clerics enough on for raids to know one thing; Fuuuuuucck thaaaaaaatt.

CH chains, timing, making a billion macros to quick target all tanks. Not enjoyable to the least.

If that is the end state of clerics, then don't want to play one for real.

Being the bard who has to spam manasong for the clerics has all the tedium but none of the stress.

Which is in some ways worse.

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

KingFisher posted:

Being the bard who has to spam manasong for the clerics has all the tedium but none of the stress.

Which is in some ways worse.

That's usually assigned to the worst/afk bard. The fact that you routinely ask to do it is quite telling.

Anarch fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Oct 30, 2018

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007

Anarch posted:

That's usually assigned to the worst/afk bard. The fact that you routinely ask to do it is quite telling.

Sounds right up my alley.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

Unfortunately I have like 500p to my name

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Only see positive here. You are free now!!!!

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Was that for something you said in-game, on the forums, or off-site? Just curious since I've heard Sirken has gone as far as banning people for saying "anti-GM" stuff off-site.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

sorry i should clarify, I mean to post this alongside that but forgot to paste it

https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999/comments/9sxwxt/gm_abuse_and_no_oversight/?st=jnxydhio&sh=213fa709

Anarch
Feb 22, 2011

In the midnight hour...

Frog Act posted:

sorry i should clarify, I mean to post this alongside that but forgot to paste it

https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999/comments/9sxwxt/gm_abuse_and_no_oversight/?st=jnxydhio&sh=213fa709

Oh yeah I read that post. All that recent stuff is really disillusioning. so much so that I've pretty much stopped playing (and I'm not even in Core). Sometimes I wonder if Rogean is even aware of the situation.

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

I hit level 8 on my Iksar monk. Should I work my way over to the common lands? Things seem pretty dead in the Iksar starting area.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Switchblade Switcharoo

Jester Mcgee posted:

I hit level 8 on my Iksar monk. Should I work my way over to the common lands? Things seem pretty dead in the Iksar starting area.

What's your name in game. I can help you out get to commons if you are still on in an hour

Edit: if this is your first iksar, just know iksars are hated by most of the continent including bankers but I think you can just run in and flop in front of one. Though one hit from a guard can be rough.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Nov 1, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

My character is Jestermcgee, I’ll be on and off throughout the day, but if you don’t manage to catch me I still appreciate the offer. This is my first character since I played back in like 2002, so I have no idea what I’m doing. Having a fun time doing it though.