Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

Boxturret posted:

ross in jail is exactly like nazi germany and if you say otherwise you'll get shot, not by me its not a threat

it's not a threat, its a smart contract PROMISE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Nybble posted:

it's not a threat, its a smart contract PROMISE

I got blocked after a I questioned the nature of the tweets that were obviously a veiled threat. lmao

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
https://mobile.twitter.com/PardonRoss/status/1057998196960567296

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
that guy that talks about bitcoins while driving a car is so mad at :gerard:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1058097633586241540

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

loving take away boomer wealth, they don't deserve it

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Sedge and Bee posted:

loving take away boomer wealth, they don't deserve it
what are you even talking about

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

love to build a utopia with no natural resources

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

love to build a utopia with no natural resources

that's what the blockchain's for :rolleye:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

bitfinex is at it again

https://twitter.com/andr3w321/status/1058059037659422720

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Boxturret posted:

that's what the blockchain's for :rolleye:

We'll extract the electricity from the bitcoins and use it to power water condensers

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

step 1: purchase desert
step 2: bitcoins for water
step 3: ???
step 4: profit

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
if tether really have $1.8bn sitting in a bank account, how the gently caress have they not exit scammed yet

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Soricidus posted:

if tether really have $1.8bn sitting in a bank account, how the gently caress have they not exit scammed yet

yeah, good point

maybe when they got "hacked" they really did get hacked and lost all the money and only pretended to lose 36% and they've spent all this time trying to desperately scam enough to make it worth stealing

mr Scoop
Feb 13, 2006

Help! Someone! Cut my head off, it's trying to murder the rest of me!

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

step 2: bitcoins for water

why would you waste bitcoins on something that has no value like water?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

yes all the big banks simply have billions of dollars just sitting in a checking account cash and not invested (lol) in as many instruments, securities, beanie babies as there are stars in the sky

that is surely a sensical thing to happen in a banking system

the gdp of a small nation collecting dust

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

im the signature of mr. deltec bank & trust limited.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Has anyone at Deltec confirmed in any verifiable way that they actually sent that letter?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Magrov posted:

im the signature of mr. deltec bank & trust limited.

people are just lining up for the chance to associate their names with this project

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

https://twitter.com/CasPiancey/status/1058068029085384704

hmm yes why indeed

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

I sat in a presentation today which turned out to be a stealth blockchain pitch.

they’re pitching edublocks which appear to purport that you enter into blockchain based indentured servitude to be able to afford education. also smart contracts for some reason. and no comment on how any of this does anything or what the point is.

fortunately the non CIOs started questioning the merits, discussing outcomes , etc.

the cio at the table says well everyone is looking into this and MIT does it (?).

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

accountability is the last thing that debt owners want

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Boxturret posted:

lol if you twitter

https://twitter.com/nolo_contento/status/1054235437773058048?s=19

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

lol

Bitcoin’s ‘First Felon’ Faces More Legal Trouble

Charlie Shrem went to prison in 2015 after he pleaded guilty to helping people buy drugs online. Now he’s being sued by the Winklevoss twins.

By Nathaniel Popper
Nov. 2, 2018

SAN FRANCISCO — Over the last year, Charlie Shrem, a 28-year-old Bitcoin investor, has bought two Maseratis, two powerboats — one of them 32 feet long — and a $2 million house in Florida, along with smaller pieces of real estate.

In the world of cryptocurrencies, where millions can be made and lost in a day, that might not make Mr. Shrem stand out. But unlike most Bitcoin entrepreneurs, in 2016 Mr. Shrem got out of prison, where he spent a year after pleading guilty to illegally helping people turn dollars into Bitcoin to buy drugs online.

Mr. Shrem, who had been the chief executive of Bitinstant, one of the first prominent Bitcoin businesses in the United States, has said in recent interviews that he went to prison with almost no money.

So where did the money for the expensive toys come from? That’s what two former business partners want to know.
Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, the twins who turned money from a settlement with Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg into a Bitcoin fortune, said they suspected Mr. Shrem had actually been spending Bitcoin that he owed them since 2012, according to a lawsuit unsealed in federal court on Thursday. The Bitcoin would be worth around $32 million at current prices.

“Either Shrem has been incredibly lucky and successful since leaving prison, or — more likely — he ‘acquired’ his six properties, two Maseratis, two powerboats and other holdings with the appreciated value of the 5,000 Bitcoin he stole from” the Winklevoss twins in 2012, the lawsuit says.

The judge who oversaw Mr. Shrem’s earlier trial has already agreed to freeze some of Mr. Shrem’s financial assets, according to court documents.

The lawsuit could blossom into an ever bigger problem for Mr. Shrem because an affidavit filed in court suggests that Mr. Shrem has also not paid the government $950,000 in restitution that he agreed to as part of his 2014 guilty plea.

Mr. Shrem’s lawyer, Brian Klein, said in a statement that the claims by the Winklevoss brothers were baseless. “The lawsuit erroneously alleges that about six years ago Charlie essentially misappropriated thousands of Bitcoins,” he said. “Nothing could be further from the truth. Charlie plans to vigorously defend himself and quickly clear his name.”

The lawsuit from the twins threatens another reversal of fortune for Mr. Shrem, who went from being one of the earliest Bitcoin millionaires to being called Bitcoin’s “first felon.”

When he was arrested in 2014, Mr. Shrem was accused by federal authorities of using his company, Bitinstant, to knowingly sell Bitcoin to people who wanted it to buy drugs from the online black market, Silk Road.

Since his release in 2016, Mr. Shrem has said in numerous interviews that he recognizes his past mistakes and wants to cut a new and legal path. On the podcast “Love, Sex and Money,” Mr. Shrem said that in the first months out of prison, he worked as a dishwasher and didn’t look at his email.

Over the last year, though, Mr. Shrem, has already gotten involved with a number of troubled projects.

He was among the leaders of two efforts — one a cryptocurrency credit card and the other an initial coin offering — that had to give money back to investors after various partnerships that Mr. Shrem had promised fell through.

But those are likely to be mere headaches compared to what he could face in a confrontation with the Winklevoss twins. Mr. Shrem helped get the brothers interested in Bitcoin in 2012 and became their first adviser in the young industry.

The twins asked Mr. Shrem to help them amass the beginnings of what would become an enormous stockpile of cryptocurrencies, giving him $750,000 to buy Bitcoin from other deep-pocketed investors.

A few months into this partnership, the twins said they realized that Mr. Shrem had not given them all the Bitcoin they were due. The brothers gave Mr. Shrem $250,000 in September 2012, but the lawsuit says that a month later, he only delivered around $189,000 worth of Bitcoin at the going price, which was around $12.50 at the time.

The 5,000 or so missing Bitcoins became a point of tension between the twins and Mr. Shrem. They asked him numerous times for an accounting of the Bitcoins he had purchased and eventually brought in an accountant who documented the missing funds, according to court documents.

“I have been patient and at this point it’s getting a bit absurd,” Cameron Winklevoss wrote to Mr. Shrem in 2013 in an email quoted in the lawsuit. “I don’t take this lightly.”

The missing Bitcoin, which were worth 98 percent less at the time, appeared to have been forgotten in a broader battle between the brothers and Mr. Shrem over an investment in Bitinstant.

In 2013, Bitinstant fell apart and the twins blocked Mr. Shrem’s efforts to revive the company with new investors because of their concerns about his management style. By the time Mr. Shrem was arrested in 2014, as a result of activities at Bitinstant that took place before the brothers invested, they had cut off contact with him.

The Winklevoss twins’ problems with Mr. Shrem have not held them back. They were briefly each cryptocurrency billionaires last year, and they have built one of the leading cryptocurrency exchanges, Gemini. Despite this year’s big drop in cryptocurrency prices, their holdings are still worth nearly a billion dollars.

Cameron Winklevoss said that he and his brother decided to pursue the missing Bitcoins again after they saw Mr. Shrem’s recent spending patterns.

“When he purchased $4 million in real estate, two Maseratis, and two power boats, we decided it was time to get to the bottom of it,” Mr. Winklevoss told The New York Times.

The brothers hired an investigator, who found that 5,000 Bitcoins were transferred in 2013 through addresses associated with Mr. Shrem and onto the Bitcoin wallet services Xapo and Coinbase, according to the complaint. The investigator traced the money on the blockchain, the public ledger where all Bitcoin transactions are recorded.

Jed S. Rakoff, a judge in the Federal District Court for the Southern District of New York, approved an application the twins made in September to freeze any funds that Mr. Shrem holds with those companies. Judge Rakoff wrote in his order that Mr. Shrem had “evidenced an intent to frustrate the collection efforts of his creditors.”

The court fight could cause problems for Mr. Shrem’s latest venture, a firm called Crypto.IQ. The company, which promises market intelligence to Bitcoin traders, is holding a conference for customers in Las Vegas this month promising “unparalleled insights from a roster of experts at the very epicenter of the crypto universe.”

In an interview with Breaker magazine last month, Mr. Shrem said he was getting used to the ups and downs.

“My personal life goes through bull and bear markets, too,” he said. “So the key is how to deal with it when you’re in the bear markets.”

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

...! posted:

lol

Bitcoin’s ‘First Felon’ Faces More Legal Trouble

Charlie Shrem went to prison in 2015 after he pleaded guilty to helping people buy drugs online. Now he’s being sued by the Winklevoss twins.

By Nathaniel Popper
Nov. 2, 2018

SAN FRANCISCO — Over the last year, Charlie Shrem, a 28-year-old Bitcoin investor, has bought two Maseratis, two powerboats — one of them 32 feet long — and a $2 million house in Florida, along with smaller pieces of real estate.

In the world of cryptocurrencies, where millions can be made and lost in a day, that might not make Mr. Shrem stand out. But unlike most Bitcoin entrepreneurs, in 2016 Mr. Shrem got out of prison, where he spent a year after pleading guilty to illegally helping people turn dollars into Bitcoin to buy drugs online.

Mr. Shrem, who had been the chief executive of Bitinstant, one of the first prominent Bitcoin businesses in the United States, has said in recent interviews that he went to prison with almost no money.

So where did the money for the expensive toys come from? That’s what two former business partners want to know.
Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, the twins who turned money from a settlement with Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg into a Bitcoin fortune, said they suspected Mr. Shrem had actually been spending Bitcoin that he owed them since 2012, according to a lawsuit unsealed in federal court on Thursday. The Bitcoin would be worth around $32 million at current prices.

“Either Shrem has been incredibly lucky and successful since leaving prison, or — more likely — he ‘acquired’ his six properties, two Maseratis, two powerboats and other holdings with the appreciated value of the 5,000 Bitcoin he stole from” the Winklevoss twins in 2012, the lawsuit says.

The judge who oversaw Mr. Shrem’s earlier trial has already agreed to freeze some of Mr. Shrem’s financial assets, according to court documents.

The lawsuit could blossom into an ever bigger problem for Mr. Shrem because an affidavit filed in court suggests that Mr. Shrem has also not paid the government $950,000 in restitution that he agreed to as part of his 2014 guilty plea.

Mr. Shrem’s lawyer, Brian Klein, said in a statement that the claims by the Winklevoss brothers were baseless. “The lawsuit erroneously alleges that about six years ago Charlie essentially misappropriated thousands of Bitcoins,” he said. “Nothing could be further from the truth. Charlie plans to vigorously defend himself and quickly clear his name.”

The lawsuit from the twins threatens another reversal of fortune for Mr. Shrem, who went from being one of the earliest Bitcoin millionaires to being called Bitcoin’s “first felon.”

When he was arrested in 2014, Mr. Shrem was accused by federal authorities of using his company, Bitinstant, to knowingly sell Bitcoin to people who wanted it to buy drugs from the online black market, Silk Road.

Since his release in 2016, Mr. Shrem has said in numerous interviews that he recognizes his past mistakes and wants to cut a new and legal path. On the podcast “Love, Sex and Money,” Mr. Shrem said that in the first months out of prison, he worked as a dishwasher and didn’t look at his email.

Over the last year, though, Mr. Shrem, has already gotten involved with a number of troubled projects.

He was among the leaders of two efforts — one a cryptocurrency credit card and the other an initial coin offering — that had to give money back to investors after various partnerships that Mr. Shrem had promised fell through.

But those are likely to be mere headaches compared to what he could face in a confrontation with the Winklevoss twins. Mr. Shrem helped get the brothers interested in Bitcoin in 2012 and became their first adviser in the young industry.

The twins asked Mr. Shrem to help them amass the beginnings of what would become an enormous stockpile of cryptocurrencies, giving him $750,000 to buy Bitcoin from other deep-pocketed investors.

A few months into this partnership, the twins said they realized that Mr. Shrem had not given them all the Bitcoin they were due. The brothers gave Mr. Shrem $250,000 in September 2012, but the lawsuit says that a month later, he only delivered around $189,000 worth of Bitcoin at the going price, which was around $12.50 at the time.

The 5,000 or so missing Bitcoins became a point of tension between the twins and Mr. Shrem. They asked him numerous times for an accounting of the Bitcoins he had purchased and eventually brought in an accountant who documented the missing funds, according to court documents.

“I have been patient and at this point it’s getting a bit absurd,” Cameron Winklevoss wrote to Mr. Shrem in 2013 in an email quoted in the lawsuit. “I don’t take this lightly.”

The missing Bitcoin, which were worth 98 percent less at the time, appeared to have been forgotten in a broader battle between the brothers and Mr. Shrem over an investment in Bitinstant.

In 2013, Bitinstant fell apart and the twins blocked Mr. Shrem’s efforts to revive the company with new investors because of their concerns about his management style. By the time Mr. Shrem was arrested in 2014, as a result of activities at Bitinstant that took place before the brothers invested, they had cut off contact with him.

The Winklevoss twins’ problems with Mr. Shrem have not held them back. They were briefly each cryptocurrency billionaires last year, and they have built one of the leading cryptocurrency exchanges, Gemini. Despite this year’s big drop in cryptocurrency prices, their holdings are still worth nearly a billion dollars.

Cameron Winklevoss said that he and his brother decided to pursue the missing Bitcoins again after they saw Mr. Shrem’s recent spending patterns.

“When he purchased $4 million in real estate, two Maseratis, and two power boats, we decided it was time to get to the bottom of it,” Mr. Winklevoss told The New York Times.

The brothers hired an investigator, who found that 5,000 Bitcoins were transferred in 2013 through addresses associated with Mr. Shrem and onto the Bitcoin wallet services Xapo and Coinbase, according to the complaint. The investigator traced the money on the blockchain, the public ledger where all Bitcoin transactions are recorded.

Jed S. Rakoff, a judge in the Federal District Court for the Southern District of New York, approved an application the twins made in September to freeze any funds that Mr. Shrem holds with those companies. Judge Rakoff wrote in his order that Mr. Shrem had “evidenced an intent to frustrate the collection efforts of his creditors.”

The court fight could cause problems for Mr. Shrem’s latest venture, a firm called Crypto.IQ. The company, which promises market intelligence to Bitcoin traders, is holding a conference for customers in Las Vegas this month promising “unparalleled insights from a roster of experts at the very epicenter of the crypto universe.”

In an interview with Breaker magazine last month, Mr. Shrem said he was getting used to the ups and downs.

“My personal life goes through bull and bear markets, too,” he said. “So the key is how to deal with it when you’re in the bear markets.”

ok, but what if otherwise?

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

...! posted:

But unlike most Bitcoin entrepreneurs, in 2016 Mr. Shrem got out of prison, where he spent a year after pleading guilty to illegally helping people turn dollars into Bitcoin to buy drugs online.

shame on the author for this awkward phrasing that implies that most bitcoin entrepreneurs are still in prison, for teasing us with a glimpse of a just -- but fictional -- world.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Gee, I kinda figured the Winkletwins would've gotten better by now at preventing people from stealing the computery stuff they bought with their daddy's money

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

PleasureKevin posted:

:siren: part 3 :siren:

rewind a little bit. my tests are running, but when we get to the deploy phase of the pipeline, they stop after the 1st or 2nd deploy to the test server. this is where i learn about how cool gitlab is because you can run your own build/test/deploy runners. but ours is broken, giving several different errors, including hardware/allocation ones.

someone gives me an AWS account with read access to maybe 3 things. i realize they have 50 EC2 servers going with volumes of up to 200GB each. they're tiny compute-wise and not mining, far as i can tell. i hate aws and tell them i think a docker instance has eaten up all their HDD. i set up my own VPS and run the tests securely on that.

but while investigating this, i notice something weird. their script says

code:
aws s3 cp ${SUPER_SECRET_FILE} .env
oh no. that actually explains why none of our env variables set on the runner work at all. sticking an .env file in from S3 and the server is using that as the sole source of environment variables. fuuuuck.

but it gets worse. if I take the AWS credentials from the environment variables, i can download all the SUPER_SECRET_FILEs I want, for all environments! first i downloaded the dev version... phew, nothing secret three. reluctantly i download the staging env file... phew... exactly the same as the one (stupidly) already in the git repository. dare i get the prod one... oh gently caress me it's the exact same file as in the git repo! there is no reason for this, the files are exact copies aside from the new public API key we've been trying in vein to add.

but there was more in the S3 folder. private keys to certain blockchain wallets, admin passwords to everything ever. i saw it all and reported it privately to them. but yeah, their security was 100% pointless because the files they held in secret were right there in the git repo, but it was also 100% a liability at the same time because they also stored EvErYtHiNg in the same bucket.

NOICE. I'm glad to see you posting PK and I gotta say, this bitcoin startup sounds like they are way above average IT and organization-wise (i.e. still a giant shitshow)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
(English subtitles are available)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwBRP5VuW0Q

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

this is the most sentimental, tear-jerking delivery of "now listen here, you little poo poo..."

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Bulgakov posted:

ok, but what if otherwise?

charlie's one of the big bitcoin og's, with an indirect connection to silk road. seeing him in even more legal trouble is amazing :allears:

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

maybe he could make mackerel coin a reality this time

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/matt_levine/status/1058430446936178688

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

quote:

Guardians of the Galaxy Brains

:pusheen:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
blockchain, quantum computing, internet of things, digital twin, and "algorithms"

surprised they didn't throw rocco's basilisk in there

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

whats a digital twin

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

every american, when they receive their social security number, gets a digital twin opened at the federal reserve

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Boxturret posted:

whats a digital twin

digital twine. it’s what ties the blocks together when they run out of chains

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

josh04 posted:

every american, when they receive their social security number, gets a digital twin opened at the federal reserve

i thought they called that a strawman or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the isn't advanced enough. It is a strawman, but with blockchain

• Locked thread