Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gallatin
Sep 20, 2004

TheCog posted:

Thanksgiving is approaching. Sort of. This year I am determined to wrest control of the turkey cooking from my parents, because they don't do a very good job of it. So this begs the question, how do you cook a turkey in the oven and not have it come out terribly dry?

If you are willing to sacrifice cooking the dressing inside I would spatchcock it, since I took over Thanksgiving this is what I have used:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/11/butterfiled-roast-turkey-with-gravy-recipe.html

It cooks consistent every time with no under-cooked thighs or over-cooked/dry breast meat, cooks quicker than cooking it intact and stuffed, is very juicy, creates crisp skin, and carves easily. The gravy isn't too shabby but there isn't enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Agree, dry brine and spatchcock.

Or part it out between white and dark and stagger roasting them.

Or roast the breast and braise the thighs/legs.

Could debone and make turchetta.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I (wet) brine my turkey.

I also usually smoke it, but oven is fine too.

I find the whole spatchcock thing more work than it's worth and it, in my opinion, ruins the presentation.

Just get a precise digital probe thermometer, set it to read 150-155 in the breast, and take the bird out when it dings, letting it coast up to temp.

For added bonus points, soften some butter and mix thoroughly with your favorite spices and paprika, then firm it back up. Put some under the skin before cooking, then melt the rest in a saucepan and brush on the skin immediately before cooking and periodically during cooking. Amazing browning.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
I stole turkey duty from my family once and did the old Alton Brown wet brine bird.

It worked very well but was kind of a pain. Also no one ever washed out the cooler that I brined it in and I found it in a garage like a decade later with ten-year old turkey water in it.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

My dad does this every year and it is excellent:
https://www.weber.com/US/en/recipes/poultry/sage-orange-and-clove-rotisserie-turkey/weber-6436.html

The rubbed sage and orange peel rub is what really makes it good. I'm sure it could be easily adapted to the oven. A good salting the day before is good too-I guess that's sort of a dry brine. Isn't the universal cure for dry turkey more gravy?

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
Brine, spatchcock, season well, have awesome turkey done in short time.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Annath posted:

Just get a precise digital probe thermometer, set it to read 150-155 in the breast, and take the bird out when it dings, letting it coast up to temp.

Most important advice right here

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

moller posted:

I stole turkey duty from my family once and did the old Alton Brown wet brine bird.

It worked very well but was kind of a pain. Also no one ever washed out the cooler that I brined it in and I found it in a garage like a decade later with ten-year old turkey water in it.

Fuuuuuuuck :barf:

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

BrianBoitano posted:

Most important advice right here

If you only do one thing, it had better be using a thermometer to check for doneness.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Which reminds me, my probe thermometer died. Thinking of buying a Thermopro, any good? On Good Eats Reloaded Alton Brown suggests a thermometer with a calibration certificate and throws out $20, but I don't think inexpensive ones come with certificates.

edit; to clarify, remote probe thermometer for an oven

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 1, 2018

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

wormil posted:

Which reminds me, my probe thermometer died. Thinking of buying a Thermopro, any good? On Good Eats Reloaded Alton Brown suggests a thermometer with a calibration certificate and throws out $20, but I don't think inexpensive ones come with certificates.

I have a Thermapen at work. I bought one for home use. I will never go back.

If you don't want to spend $85 on a thermometer, the Thermopop I got my pop works almost as quickly.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

effika posted:

If you don't want to spend $85 on a thermometer, the Thermopop I got my pop works almost as quickly.
And if you wait for sales you can get a classic Thermapen for US$60.

That said, for something like roasting poultry in the oven I always use a remote probe thermometer. I don't have the current-gen ThermoWorks one (the ChefAlarm), but I have one of their older models, which I like. Before getting it, I'd gone through a couple cheaper random brands off amazon whose probes went south after a couple months.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
What makes "the best" cheese steaks in Philly the best? Is it the quality of the meat and bread used?

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

effika posted:

To clarify I need one for the oven or grill, sloppy wording on my part.

effika
Jun 19, 2005

wormil posted:

Thermoworks also makes oven probes like SubG mentioned. I have one and it's really good. The wire is nice and thick and the base is magnetic. Look for a sale to get one at a good price.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Honestly, Ikea has a probe thermometer for $7 and it's worked perfectly well for me. Because of the nature of its use, it doesn't have to work quickly or be accurate within 1 degree.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’m too lazy to just Google it: how does one dry brine? I thought brine was salt water? Which is wet by definition, surely?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

What makes "the best" cheese steaks in Philly the best? Is it the quality of the meat and bread used?

No. Although shaved ribeye is good. Usually the old Time best places are that way due to just doing it well and this is why imho franchises can never be them. I never even see cheese wiz outside of Philly so you know it's not the ingredients. Also the chose your own mindset of franchises gets in the way e.g. big 10 burrito (although that's probably changed since they went franchise) vs Chipotle. A truly great you just order a burrito or cheese steak and it arrives delicious.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Scientastic posted:

I’m too lazy to just Google it: how does one dry brine? I thought brine was salt water? Which is wet by definition, surely?

It's just salting

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Is there chipotle without heat?

Question Friend
Aug 3, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
Dry brine it, hot refrigerate it in the oven, manually auto-carve it with a sharp knife, and you got yourself a November Christmas

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Disclosure: I've never been to Philly

The best cheesesteak I've ever had came from a tiny, kinda grungy looking hole-in-the-wall "pizza" place in a tiny, dilapidated strip mall off of US Route 1 south of Quantico called "Padrinos II". I have no idea if there is/ever was a Padrinos I, and this place was almost exclusively takeout; it had like 2 card tables with seats. Run by a bunch of super friendly middle easterners (no idea which flavor) who charged almost nothing, and drat if that sandwich doesn't stick in my memory to this day.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Salting and letting air on a rack in the fridge so you don't have to worry about excess liquid and can get super crisp skin.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Human Tornada posted:

When I went to Philly I asked every Uber driver (at least two dozen) what the best cheesesteak in town and they told me ignore the touristy Geno/Pat rivalry and head straight to Jim's. Aaaaand it was kind of underwhelming? The meat was unexpectedly finely minced almost like a paste which made for a very good texture because I hate pulling out chunks of meat as I bite, but the revelation here is that a cheesesteak is like a BLT: it's really hard to make a bad one but it's really, really hard to make one stand out.

My favorite Uber driver said gently caress all that noise and go to Ocean Harbor for dim sum.

Annath posted:

Disclosure: I've never been to Philly

The best cheesesteak I've ever had came from a tiny, kinda grungy looking hole-in-the-wall "pizza" place in a tiny, dilapidated strip mall off of US Route 1 south of Quantico called "Padrinos II". I have no idea if there is/ever was a Padrinos I, and this place was almost exclusively takeout; it had like 2 card tables with seats. Run by a bunch of super friendly middle easterners (no idea which flavor) who charged almost nothing, and drat if that sandwich doesn't stick in my memory to this day.

I used to sling pizzas in the rotating Middle Eastern owned hole-in-the-wall shops that dot northern Virginia and while they use all the standard Italian restaurant frozen ingredients their spice mixes were based on the stuff they used back home so a lot of cumin and cardamom which makes soccer moms go "ooh, spicy!" Unless they changed hands the usual crowd 15 years ago was from Yemen.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

al-azad posted:

When I went to Philly I asked every Uber driver (at least two dozen) what the best cheesesteak in town and they told me ignore the touristy Geno/Pat rivalry and head straight to Jim's. Aaaaand it was kind of underwhelming? The meat was unexpectedly finely minced almost like a paste which made for a very good texture because I hate pulling out chunks of meat as I bite, but the revelation here is that a cheesesteak is like a BLT: it's really hard to make a bad one but it's really, really hard to make one stand out.

My favorite Uber driver said gently caress all that noise and go to Ocean Harbor for dim sum.

I used to sling pizzas in the rotating Middle Eastern owned hole-in-the-wall shops that dot northern Virginia and while they use all the standard Italian restaurant frozen ingredients their spice mixes were based on the stuff they used back home so a lot of cumin and cardamom which makes soccer moms go "ooh, spicy!" Unless they changed hands the usual crowd 15 years ago was from Yemen.

Interesting. I certainly don't recall cardamom in the cheesesteak lol. It was just a hunk of greasy, cheesy (American, the closest thing to Whiz I've ever seen in Virginia, and definitely more appropriate than provolone) heaven that was worth the future heart attacks.

Also I wish I knew a good dim sum place within a reasonable drive of Fredericksburg.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

al-azad posted:

This is what I suspected.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Annath posted:

Interesting. I certainly don't recall cardamom in the cheesesteak lol. It was just a hunk of greasy, cheesy (American, the closest thing to Whiz I've ever seen in Virginia, and definitely more appropriate than provolone) heaven that was worth the future heart attacks.

Also I wish I knew a good dim sum place within a reasonable drive of Fredericksburg.

This was 15 years ago and I worked at Sam's but keep your eyes on the little metal shakers. There's more than salt and pepper in those things!

Anyway, hello fellow resident of Fredvegas. No good dim sum in town but if you're in the Five Mile area on Saturday mornings there's a farmer's market in that commuter lot across from LIDL called International Dumpling Company and they have good potstickers.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The best cheese steak was in a strip mall in RTP, NC. Lines out the door and down the sidewalk everyday during lunchtime. Sadly the owner/cook was murdered by an employee he fired.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

al-azad posted:

This was 15 years ago and I worked at Sam's but keep your eyes on the little metal shakers. There's more than salt and pepper in those things!

Anyway, hello fellow resident of Fredvegas. No good dim sum in town but if you're in the Five Mile area on Saturday mornings there's a farmer's market in that commuter lot across from LIDL called International Dumpling Company and they have good potstickers.

poo poo son, I order from Sam's out by Spotsy Courthouse all the time!

And I used to go to the farmers market at the commuter lot pretty regularly, until I finished college and got a job that involved working weekends. Now that I have weekends off again, I should really check it out again.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Cheesesteaks suck. Italian beef is so much better.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST
Thank you all for the turkey advice!

Casu Marzu posted:

Cheesesteaks suck. Italian beef is so much better.

Buffalo Chicken cheesesteaks are where it's at, and the single thing I miss most from Philly.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
We use the proper term "chickencheese" around here.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Doom Rooster posted:

We use the proper term "chickencheese" around here.

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer

TheCog posted:

Thanksgiving is approaching. Sort of. This year I am determined to wrest control of the turkey cooking from my parents, because they don't do a very good job of it. So this begs the question, how do you cook a turkey in the oven and not have it come out terribly dry?

1) Brine It
2) Spatchcock It

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'd prob swap steps one and two

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is turkeycheese an acceptable thanksgiving delicacy?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
It's cheating and probably will give you cancer but I've cooked turkeys in a Reynolds Oven Bag. They came out moist. Just have to open the bag near the end of the cooking time for the skin to brown some. It wasn't the best or quickest turkey, but it was moist!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

effika posted:

It's cheating and probably will give you cancer but I've cooked turkeys in a Reynolds Oven Bag. They came out moist. Just have to open the bag near the end of the cooking time for the skin to brown some. It wasn't the best or quickest turkey, but it was moist!

This was my grandfather's secret and we still do it and they come out good and moist every time. Skin leaves something to be desired, but the meat is nigh perfect.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
gonna spatch, brine and smoke another turkey this year gently caress yea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

wormil posted:

The Thermoworks Dot is a no frills version and pretty affordable. I use mine all the time.