Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Rutibex posted:

I don't think the drones are having a huge effect on server performance. EVE is a 15 year old game, this means moores law has turned over 10 times since it was released. If we could manage drones back in 2003 we can manage them now :colbert:

Moore's Law became invalid almost a decade ago, and PCU in 2003 was far below 2008.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Or just train DD V like a non scrub

No joke it was a long train but worth it for garbage binning drake fleets

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Dalael posted:

To add to what I said,

Other than tidi a bazillion years ago, there hasn't been any real attempt (that I know of) to improve performance of large scale battles. Any and all attempts at improvement were bandaid patches at best.

this is not true. the most significant one that was made was "brain in a box" that basically changed how skills were loaded when you load grid/jump into a new system. they've also done a lot of work to move everything that does not need to be on the same core as the grid processing off the grid processing core.

the fundamental problem is that EVE is coded in stackless python which means the entire system runs on a single core of a single processor, and cannot be multithreaded. so you can optimize the code and pull everything that doesn't need to be on that core (local, the market, etc) onto a different core to minimize the load on that one core. but unless they completely recode the server in a language that supports multithreading, there's a real hard limit to the optimizations they can do.

because single-core speeds hit a wall like a decade ago and have increased only marginally singe then, better processors are not really a solution.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Ynglaur posted:

Moore's Law became invalid almost a decade ago, and PCU in 2003 was far below 2008.

more to the point, moore's law ceased significantly increasing the number of instructions per second you can execute a long time ago, even though there's been several die shrinks since then

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

this is not true. the most significant one that was made was "brain in a box" that basically changed how skills were loaded when you load grid/jump into a new system. they've also done a lot of work to move everything that does not need to be on the same core as the grid processing off the grid processing core.

the fundamental problem is that EVE is coded in stackless python which means the entire system runs on a single core of a single processor, and cannot be multithreaded. so you can optimize the code and pull everything that doesn't need to be on that core (local, the market, etc) onto a different core to minimize the load on that one core. but unless they completely recode the server in a language that supports multithreading, there's a real hard limit to the optimizations they can do.

because single-core speeds hit a wall like a decade ago and have increased only marginally singe then, better processors are not really a solution.

I know the meme is lol legacy code and I'm not a computer smarty mans but at this point, how hard would it be to just rewrite the code or redo it?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

I know the meme is lol legacy code and I'm not a computer smarty mans but at this point, how hard would it be to just rewrite the code or redo it?

It would be a substantial investment that would only pay off in the long term, made by a company that has shown very little interest in making investments for the long term in EVE as opposed to keeping it in maintenance mode and siphoning off the cash for other purposes. The new owners may change it up, or they may want that cash to go to repaying their purchase price.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

It would be a substantial investment that would only pay off in the long term, made by a company that has shown very little interest in making investments for the long term in EVE as opposed to keeping it in maintenance mode and siphoning off the cash for other purposes. The new owners may change it up, or they may want that cash to go to repaying their purchase price.

Practically speaking, how hard is it to do something like that? It seems like other companies that publish MMOs are using new methods or trying to improve their code all the time.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

Practically speaking, how hard is it to do something like that? It seems like other companies that publish MMOs are using new methods or trying to improve their code all the time.

You can't just "improve" it - the language doesn't even support multi-threading. You need to code an entirely new back-end engine with a different programming language, and design it in such a way that you can multi-thread it easily. And it needs to play nice with all of the other legacy code you're not looking to change that day.

And because you're trying to do something on a completely different scale than most MMOs I don't know that there's anything off-the-shelf you can get as an engine to modify, rather than code an engine from scratch. It's not really a matter of tweaking. It's basically coding Eve 2.0 from scratch.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

evilweasel posted:

It's basically coding Eve 2.0 from scratch

which is what ccp should have been working on since 2010 instead of losing tens of millions in VR and whatever else flavor of the month trash game they're trying to put out under the auspices of :airquote: eve universe :airquote:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

evilweasel posted:

And because you're trying to do something on a completely different scale than most MMOs I don't know that there's anything off-the-shelf you can get as an engine to modify, rather than code an engine from scratch. It's not really a matter of tweaking. It's basically coding Eve 2.0 from scratch.

I mean, there's precedent - they ported the game from C++ to Python. My guess is that the actual good developers all got scooped up by companies that a) actually pay and b) aren't based on fartwater island, and the remainder are just sorta piling python scripts on top of a black box of server code that everyone is too scared to poke at the internals of.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

ChickenWing posted:

I mean, there's precedent - they ported the game from C++ to Python. My guess is that the actual good developers all got scooped up by companies that a) actually pay and b) aren't based on fartwater island, and the remainder are just sorta piling python scripts on top of a black box of server code that everyone is too scared to poke at the internals of.

they could do it, it'd just be expensive and they won't even pay for "pretty cheap"

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

evilweasel posted:

they could do it, it'd just be expensive and they won't even pay for "pretty cheap"

Dream universe: Pearl Abyss continues bludgeoning their non-eve playerbase while money continues to fall out and uses said money to make eve better

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

evilweasel posted:

It's pretty funny. One of the longest running MMOs suffers from a company that pathologically treats it like it's going to die next year.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

ChickenWing posted:

They didn’t port the game completely, they just started writing new stuff and converting some old stuff to C++. A good portion of the game is still Python.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
They just need to have a ragnarok patch where new eden has been run over, empire space has collapsed. You must now evac everything you hold dear to the MEGA GATE that will lead us to the new promised land that is eve 2.0.

Call it a battle royal patch, bring in new players. Watch everyone lose everything.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
ffxiv did it but i think they're one of the only games that have survived such a massive rewrite

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

are they really making a mobile game

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I would jump at the chance to play EVE 2.0 if everything was reset and they deleted supercaps

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Hexel posted:

They're making an EVE mobile game that will be very similar to the EVE you're used to, but they won't be linked because :ccp:

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Hexel posted:

Two of them.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

:vince:

is one a fortnite clone?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

MaxPowers posted:

They just need to have a ragnarok patch where new eden has been run over, empire space has collapsed. You must now evac everything you hold dear to the MEGA GATE that will lead us to the new promised land that is eve 2.0.

Call it a battle royal patch, bring in new players. Watch everyone lose everything.

If they had to rewrite the engine and game to be drastically different I would be cool with this, so long as I get to keep my money and xp in the new game.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 1, 2018

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Hexel posted:

:vince:

is one a fortnite clone?

Nah one is Clash of Clans or whatever and the other is ??? but supposed to be basically Eve but not connected to the universe

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Landsknecht posted:

the real endgame is the ratting bosontitan

if you're in delve you just need to be able to hit 2 buttons and yell on mumble and you're guaranteed safe

Not to mention you can multibox ratting Titans pretty easily and pull in 800mil per hour just on those. And if you also ask some vnis or myrmidons you can get another few hundred mil an hour easy.

Plus there's so much excess stront in delve you can pick it up for pennies on the dollar if you find an ice miner.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Dalael posted:

I would jump at the chance to play EVE 2.0 if everything was reset and they deleted supercaps
Starting a clean server would be an interesting dice roll...

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ilkhan posted:

Starting a clean server would be an interesting dice roll...

too many idiots have bought far too much IRL money in plex to convert to ISK and they would yell and shout and holler

Now if CCP converted the value of all of your assets to plex then let you do whatever you wanted with it on Eve 2.0 + let you keep your current skills or gave you PLEX to inject your skillpoints back it wouldnt be so loud and screechy

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

too many idiots have bought far too much IRL money in plex to convert to ISK and they would yell and shout and holler

Now if CCP converted the value of all of your assets to plex then let you do whatever you wanted with it on Eve 2.0 + let you keep your current skills or gave you PLEX to inject your skillpoints back it wouldnt be so loud and screechy

Then it would essentially be a clone of TQ.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kimsemus posted:

Then it would essentially be a clone of TQ.

No, because people would only have raw money and nothing to spend it on. All of the minerals and modules and ships in EVE come from player activity, you can't buy anything except blueprints from NPCs.

It doesn't matter if you have 1 trillion isk if no one has mined enough minerals to build anything yet. Newbies would have a chance to make huge gains, as prices would be massively inflated in the beginning.

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
We had this discussion on the TEST forums a while back regarding the limitations of large battle optimization as a result of how EVE is coded. Smarter people than myself when it comes to development informed me that even if the project were to be taken on, it's not just a simple process of selecting a language that supports multi-threading and re-writing the code. Coding for multi-threading is not easy and doesn't guarantee that a.) it is possible given what you are trying to do and b.) that you will even realize performance gains as a result of it.

I still think it is a shame that the option isn't being explored by CCP and that they probably don't have the brainpower required to make it work. But it is worth noting that it is no simple task.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

kung fu jive posted:

We had this discussion on the TEST forums a while back regarding the limitations of large battle optimization as a result of how EVE is coded. Smarter people than myself when it comes to development informed me that even if the project were to be taken on, it's not just a simple process of selecting a language that supports multi-threading and re-writing the code. Coding for multi-threading is not easy and doesn't guarantee that a.) it is possible given what you are trying to do and b.) that you will even realize performance gains as a result of it.

I still think it is a shame that the option isn't being explored by CCP and that they probably don't have the brainpower required to make it work. But it is worth noting that it is no simple task.

Sounds like the folks you talked to were well-informed. Concurrency is hard.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Think of rewriting in a new language as translating English to Russian . Adding concurrency is then writing an opera with an 80-person chorus and 6 lead roles. With an orchestra.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

I'm not aware of any game that mutlithreads it's core simulation.

Managing multiple threads in real time and having sub second consistency is difficult. Like Big 5 tech R&D project difficult.

Most multithreading in games is what CCP is doing now, off loading things that don't need immediate concurrency to a different thread or process.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012
IMO you could multithread EVE easily by using Blockchain technology.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Boatswain posted:

:hai:

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

Thus dice roll. But if you added a concurrent server farm and let people choose which to log into during character creation... As I said, it would be interesting to make a fresh eve galaxy (different map and all).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
What if they made EVE turn based?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Boatswain posted:

IMO you could multithread EVE easily by using Buttchain technology.

:tutbutt:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Boatswain posted:

For the least techno-savvy of us, is this just a buttcoin joke or is there actually a way to apply the tech to EVE?

Im guessing its a joke but just in case..

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Rutibex posted:

What if they made EVE turn based?

All computer games are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Boatswain posted:

:frogout: