Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Mu Zeta posted:

Baseball is great because you can drink a pitcher of beer and eat two hot dogs and a bowl of garlic fries and it's socially acceptable.

You could do all that in a hockey game with the added bonus of seeing an entertaining fight along with an actually entertaining game. Baseball fights are a joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Unpopaplar opinion since we're sort of on sports: I honestly hate most big sports orgs because they end up being a safety net for horrible people. Beat and torment your spouse/kids, negligently or otherwise kill someone, rape some people up to and including youths, sell some guns under the table, be a sociopath that mutilates animals, oh it's okay, do your richie rich pity act for a little, tell all your braindead fanboys you didn't do it, maybe serve a little time in a health spa prison, you'll get another team or company to give you your money IV back, the dollar's worth more than abject suffering after all. Like in a good world for example Michael Vick would've been locked in a pit and left to rot for what he did to all those dogs, but nope, the piece of poo poo's coasted just fine after all his problems because HE TROW DA BALL REAL GUD so all is forgiven.

Like reminder, gruesome dog torture details ahead

""The details that got to me then and stay with me today involve the swimming pool that was used to kill some of the dogs," Reynolds wrote. "Jumper cables were clipped onto the ears of underperforming dogs, then just like with a car, the cables were connected to the terminals of car batteries before lifting and tossing the shamed dogs into the water."

She continued, "We don't know how many suffered this premeditated murder, but the damage to the pool walls tells a story. It seems that while they were scrambling to escape, they scratched and clawed at the pool liner and bit at the dented aluminum sides."

"I wear some pretty thick skin during our work with dogs, but I can't shake my minds-eye image of a little black dog splashing frantically in bloody water ... screaming in pain and terror ... brown eyes saucer wide and tiny black white-toed feet clawing at anything, desperate to get a hold. This death did not come quickly. The rescuer in me keeps trying to think of a way to go back in time and somehow stop this torture and pull the little dog to safety. I think I'll be looking for ways to pull that dog out for the rest of my life."

Vick did all that and more to his dogs, and even threw family pets into the pit with fighters and laughed while they were mauled, according to a witness who testified to federal investigators."

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
I read such accounts because I clearly hate myself.
Fake edit: Y'all wanted opinions, not facts. Sorry. :smithicide:

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Oh! I thought of one. I think graverobbing is 100% A-okay. The dead have no use for treasure. If their family found any value in the possessions of the deceased, they'd've divvied them up among whomever. Should I come across a corpse in the wasteland, I'll surely try to reunite artifacts on their former person with their next-of-kin if I meet any, otherwise I'm taking them and using them or giving them to someone who needs them more. Why the gently caress are you burying valuable treasure in the ground anyway? Ya doofuses.

Edit: Not ceremonial graves of oppressed peoples, though.

If I leave behind a corpse (e.g. no party to cremate me), feel free to smack it around or gently caress it though, idgaf. Just don't try to profit off it, it's for the use of the people, be it as food or fertiliser.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 23:28 on Nov 1, 2018

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Yardbomb posted:

Unpopaplar opinion since we're sort of on sports: I honestly hate most big sports orgs because they end up being a safety net for horrible people. Beat and torment your spouse/kids, negligently or otherwise kill someone, rape some people up to and including youths, sell some guns under the table, be a sociopath that mutilates animals, oh it's okay, do your richie rich pity act for a little, tell all your braindead fanboys you didn't do it, maybe serve a little time in a health spa prison, you'll get another team or company to give you your money IV back, the dollar's worth more than abject suffering after all. Like in a good world for example Michael Vick would've been locked in a pit and left to rot for what he did to all those dogs, but nope, the piece of poo poo's coasted just fine after all his problems because HE TROW DA BALL REAL GUD so all is forgiven.

Like reminder, gruesome dog torture details ahead

""The details that got to me then and stay with me today involve the swimming pool that was used to kill some of the dogs," Reynolds wrote. "Jumper cables were clipped onto the ears of underperforming dogs, then just like with a car, the cables were connected to the terminals of car batteries before lifting and tossing the shamed dogs into the water."

She continued, "We don't know how many suffered this premeditated murder, but the damage to the pool walls tells a story. It seems that while they were scrambling to escape, they scratched and clawed at the pool liner and bit at the dented aluminum sides."

"I wear some pretty thick skin during our work with dogs, but I can't shake my minds-eye image of a little black dog splashing frantically in bloody water ... screaming in pain and terror ... brown eyes saucer wide and tiny black white-toed feet clawing at anything, desperate to get a hold. This death did not come quickly. The rescuer in me keeps trying to think of a way to go back in time and somehow stop this torture and pull the little dog to safety. I think I'll be looking for ways to pull that dog out for the rest of my life."

Vick did all that and more to his dogs, and even threw family pets into the pit with fighters and laughed while they were mauled, according to a witness who testified to federal investigators."

To be sure, but if we are on this path, why give war criminals like Bush JR. or Cheney responsible for 100k+ human murders a break either? Our betters, whether it be with ball, or lineage, or cash, have always gotten away with this poo poo. Just the way of the world.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

To be sure, but if we are on this path, why give war criminals like Bush JR. or Cheney responsible for 100k+ human murders a break either? Our betters, whether it be with ball, or lineage, or cash, have always gotten away with this poo poo. Just the way of the world.

That's the way of Capitalism, and is but one of an infinite number of reasons we need to start guillotining motherfuckers. The extent of my mercy is not subjecting them to the fates they inflicted upon their victims because I don't want to stain my soul with their deliberate suffering, as just as it might feel at the time.

Maybe unpopular opinion: turn the perpetrators over to violent sadists who have kept their urges under control and have not harmed anyone but deeply desire to. Provided it's the actual perp, my conscience is clean.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 23:53 on Nov 1, 2018

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't most of the guillotining done by rich people on other rich people?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Tubgoat posted:

Why the gently caress are you burying valuable treasure in the ground anyway? Ya doofuses.

I feel like this is kind of the thing as to why grave robbing's stopped being much of a thing outside of the most destitute places, most likely you're not expecting a guy buried with his giant pimp chain and pile of jewels, you're trying to pull gold teeth, maybe break some rings off his fingers, things like that.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

Wasn't most of the guillotining done by rich people on other rich people?

Of course it was, but 14yr olds' revenge fantasies are in and moderation is out

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Strategic Tea posted:

Of course it was, but 14yr olds' revenge fantasies are in and moderation is out

Add a couple decades, comrade. And then subtract a couple, depending on the age of the victim. We tried leaving in place the conditions for Capital to regain power and it did NOT go well for the overwhelming majority. If I too must die then that is a wholly acceptable cost.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I've never called for a guillotine on anyone. :) Guillotines were indeed a public act demonstrating the old ruling class was gone and new people were in charge. Saddam was hanged on live TV too. In the background many more died unseen.

*tubgoat is on his own *

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Mike Vick is a weird example of sports protecting people because he actually served prison time. His relatively light sentence and early release has more to do with being rich and our justice system than the NFL imo.

There are tons of guys who have done heinous things to actual humans that the league did nothing about.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Henchman of Santa posted:

Mike Vick is a weird example of sports protecting people because he actually served prison time. His relatively light sentence and early release has more to do with being rich and our justice system than the NFL imo.

I know there's even more egregious examples around, but it enabled him to just buy his way out of any real punishment and then he came out and went right back into the sport with the Eagles, who I've hoped lose every single game they ever play since on principle. That and I've really never cared about how much time he did or really didn't serve for what he did, no mundane sentence would ever feel right to me, the guy was sick and literally tortured these scores of dogs for entertainment and then tortured them to death just whenever, it's the insane inhumanity of his case that always makes me want to pick him out. Plenty of other people who got off scot free for bashing their wife's face in, sexually assaulting people and so on, but the sheer glut of suffering he caused to a bunch of helpless animals essentially for fun is a real cut me to the core level of sickening.

Yardbomb has a new favorite as of 01:02 on Nov 2, 2018

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

There are tons of guys who have done heinous things to actual humans that the league did nothing about.

For example, noted murderer Ray Lewis (the fine doesn't count considering how much money he made per year).

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

For example, noted murderer Ray Lewis (the fine doesn't count considering how much money he made per year).

Technically just an obstructor of justice

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Meanwhile poor people get life for a few ounces of meth.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

I've never called for a guillotine on anyone. :) Guillotines were indeed a public act demonstrating the old ruling class was gone and new people were in charge. Saddam was hanged on live TV too. In the background many more died unseen.

*tubgoat is on his own *

Rofl, we hanged Saddam after staging his capture to make it look like he wasn't living in a shack for however long. :v: After we betrayed him, of course, seeing as how he committed all of his most heinous crimes with the full faith and support of the United States government.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Tubgoat posted:

Rofl, we hanged Saddam after staging his capture to make it look like he wasn't living in a shack for however long. :v: After we betrayed him, of course, seeing as how he committed all of his most heinous crimes with the full faith and support of the United States government.

That didn’t work for Faust, why should it for Saddam?

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Tubgoat posted:

Oh! I thought of one. I think graverobbing is 100% A-okay. The dead have no use for treasure. If their family found any value in the possessions of the deceased, they'd've divvied them up among whomever. Should I come across a corpse in the wasteland, I'll surely try to reunite artifacts on their former person with their next-of-kin if I meet any, otherwise I'm taking them and using them or giving them to someone who needs them more. Why the gently caress are you burying valuable treasure in the ground anyway? Ya doofuses.

I'm with you. I've always wondered, at what point does grave robbing become just archaeology?

Tubgoat posted:

Edit: Not ceremonial graves of oppressed peoples, though.

But famous people shouldn't be off limits. I wonder how much history could be confirmed or corrected if we raided a few sarcophagi?

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Ommin posted:

I'm with you. I've always wondered, at what point does grave robbing become just archaeology?

But famous people shouldn't be off limits. I wonder how much history could be confirmed or corrected if we raided a few sarcophagi?

I whole-heartedly endorse this person and/or post.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ommin posted:

There was a really interesting debate about this very thing not too long ago in the US. Scientists, Native Americans, and the Army Corp of Engineers all fought over who should have rights to a 9000 year old man.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Frankly, I'ma say "his tribe" or nearest kin, who may opt to share him with archaeologists for purposes of research, but this is hell and his body would mysteriously disappear in transit and the site would be deliberately destroyed by colonists. :(

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

Solice Kirsk posted:

There was a really interesting debate about this very thing not too long ago in the US. Scientists, Native Americans, and the Army Corp of Engineers all fought over who should have rights to a 9000 year old man.

I googled it, and it was the Kennewick Man. "According to the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act (NAGPRA), if human remains are found on federal lands and their cultural affiliation to a Native American tribe can be established, the affiliated tribe may claim them." Looks like the tribe won and got the remains back and then reburied it in 2016.

But globally there should be some sort of "public domain" for marked graves, not just lost ones. 500 years? 1,000?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You could do all that in a hockey game with the added bonus of seeing an entertaining fight along with an actually entertaining game. Baseball fights are a joke.

Yeah but in baseball you can do that, then head out and pitch.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
90s cartoons were the best. Early 2000s also good.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
The 2004-2005 season was a massacre, especially on CN! Lost samurai Jack, cat dog, Powerpuff girls, Johnny Bravo, 2 stupid dogs, chan and the chan clan, the original Batman TAS, the big O, cyborg 009, shin chan, .hack//sign, IGPX, Nadesico, and sealab 2020.

Cartoon Network 2002-2003 was fukken PEAK.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
There's plenty of really great story focused cartoons right now, and plenty of episodic shows I like too.

:shrug:

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I couldn't tell you the last television show i watched that was so great i felt compelled to watch any more. Episodic television is so pointless.

What is actually going on in folks heads when they think - I'll be back here next week to sit and mindlessly watch another episode of game of thrones or walking dead or pretty little liars? Go learn to cook or go the gym or just go for a walk. Anything, i repeat ANYTHING is more beneficial to your life than watching some lovely tv show. Watch a documentary, read a book, do some housework. Literally anything is a more rewarding use of your life than sitting open mouthed and brain dead in front of the TV and i will never ever understand the appeal. I could sit in a dark room and just imagine things and I'd be more satisfied than watching 45 minutes of Mad Men or Futurama or Fargo or whatever bullshit fairy tale peyote are cramming into their eyes to forget about their own existence for any kind of respite.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Look at this big brain too good for a well made show here and there :colbert:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
He's talking about Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead though

:q:

I agree they're well made, but not well written.

just couldn't let the joke pass

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

CrRoMa posted:

Anything, i repeat ANYTHING is more beneficial to your life than watching some lovely tv show. Watch a documentary, read a book, do some housework.

I've been reading Ignition, and I gotta say the time I spent watching that Korra anime has been far more useful to me than this is likely ever going to be. I mean, it's funny, but you seem to have excluded that as valuable, so.

Polyseme has a new favorite as of 13:29 on Nov 2, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

CrRoMa posted:

I couldn't tell you the last television show i watched that was so great i felt compelled to watch any more. Episodic television is so pointless.

What is actually going on in folks heads when they think - I'll be back here next week to sit and mindlessly watch another episode of game of thrones or walking dead or pretty little liars? Go learn to cook or go the gym or just go for a walk. Anything, i repeat ANYTHING is more beneficial to your life than watching some lovely tv show. Watch a documentary, read a book, do some housework. Literally anything is a more rewarding use of your life than sitting open mouthed and brain dead in front of the TV and i will never ever understand the appeal. I could sit in a dark room and just imagine things and I'd be more satisfied than watching 45 minutes of Mad Men or Futurama or Fargo or whatever bullshit fairy tale peyote are cramming into their eyes to forget about their own existence for any kind of respite.

Same but readjng ur posts

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

CrRoMa posted:

None of the shows you named are episodic except Futurama.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Yeah, you mean serialized you dumbass

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I've no idea what the difference is

The last tv show i felt any investment in was Lost and the way that ended convinved my to not bother ever again.

Why yes I'm sure the 90 hours of your life watching breaking bad was the highlight of your life. Me watching one episode and then reading the most rest on Wikipedia worked out fine for me though

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

CrRoMa posted:

The last tv show i felt any investment in was Lost and the way that ended convinved my to not bother ever again.

Why yes I'm sure the 90 hours of your life watching breaking bad was the highlight of your life. Me watching one episode and then reading the most rest on Wikipedia worked out fine for me though

serialized means what you're whining about and episodic is the opposite, look it up goober

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

CrRoMa posted:

I bet you don't even own a TV anymore.

There's a lot of time in the day. People like you like to smugly point out that watching a tv show is a waste of time, but so is most of what we do throughout the day. We aren't robots, it's OK to do something that has no point once in a while. You say go to the gym, but I already did that before work. Read a book? Already did that on the shitter at work. Take a walk? Already did that with the dogs. Sitting down for an hour or two watching something you enjoy isn't a bad thing just because the "plebs" do it.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I just looked it up and while i appreciate being taught the difference i don't think television shows being serialised or episodic makes a difference on how dull they are.

If anything episodic shows are stupid because its blatantly setup so that people can put on any random episode and detach their brain with the minimum investment and serials are dumb because wikipedia has plot summaries.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

CrRoMa posted:

I just looked it up and while i appreciate being taught the difference i don't think television shows being serialised or episodic makes a difference on how dull they are.

If anything episodic shows are stupid because its blatantly setup so that people can put on any random episode and detach their brain with the minimum investment and serials are dumb because wikipedia has plot summaries.

I too don't understand this whole "entertainment" thing. People who watch plays are boring too because you could just read them. And reading is dumb because you could just think about a story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

I bet you don't even own a TV anymore.

There's a lot of time in the day. People like you like to smugly point out that watching a tv show is a waste of time

I go through most of my adult life feeling like there isn't enough time and that I have too much to do. Most of my thoughts stem from a position of jealousy that if anyone out there has enough free time to watch 120 episodes of the walking dead they can't be very busy.

I've never been unemployed and have worked full time for 16 years now though so that's probably a bigger factor than anything.