Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

are you tired of pesky witnesses always tattling to the local law enforcement and getting you into all kinds of shenanigans? a top tip from an ex-outlaw is this: always carry your trusty springfield rifle, it makes shooting witnesses dead a doddle. it works 60% of the time, every time. disclaimer: sometimes doesn't work as some members of the local law enforcement have undergone rigorous psychic training and can detect wrongdoing in a wide radius around themselves, depending on if their mental energies and cerebral chakras are properly aligned.

R* can suck my tiny dick for ruining my immersion and not forcing me to have to take regular bowel movements to ensure arthur maintains his stamina core. what a piece of poo poo game. they missed out on a goldmine, having to wipe your rear end with a leaf, your own coattails or your horse's tail is immersive gameplay 101. and then the fact you'd be forced to regularly wipe down your saddle to remove caked on shite stains from all your rough wilderness living, what were they thinking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
So when I next play I'm going to get my crime on. Was going to try holding up a train, I guess try to take over the cab at night, park it on a bridge and go through the carriages?

How about stores? It seems potentially short sighted. Or am I good so long as I go in wearing a mask?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Is my only option for a Varmint Rifle to purchase one? I'm poor because I'm on Chapter 2 and literally have just been living out in the wild. I guess I should get money by way of Story Missions?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

BizarroAzrael posted:

So when I next play I'm going to get my crime on. Was going to try holding up a train, I guess try to take over the cab at night, park it on a bridge and go through the carriages?

How about stores? It seems potentially short sighted. Or am I good so long as I go in wearing a mask?

don't rob trains at night unless it's a busy train leaving from a city. I went through so much headache robbing a train at night, only to see it was bone empty and I walked out with a few cans of beans, some gin and that was it. I think I nabbed a $10 money clip as well. rob trains when they're busy. I had to fight off so many lawmen and I barely made any money from it

Feenix posted:

Is my only option for a Varmint Rifle to purchase one? I'm poor because I'm on Chapter 2 and literally have just been living out in the wild. I guess I should get money by way of Story Missions?

I'm p sure you get the varmint rifle for free from doing a mission, but I can't remember. it's only $72 or something, that poo poo's easy to make. just go killing and robbing for a bit, you'll make it up in no time. sell your provisions, fence your goods, you'll get it in maybe 20 minutes of work.

yo wtf why didn't i get a volcanic pistol in chapter 1?!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
Is it a bug or by design that meat you cook can only be eaten from the satchel? It seems weird, but maybe they're deemed to good to just munch down in combat like tonics and stuff?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Qubee posted:

I'm p sure you get the varmint rifle for free from doing a mission, but I can't remember. it's only $72 or something, that poo poo's easy to make. just go killing and robbing for a bit, you'll make it up in no time. sell your provisions, fence your goods, you'll get it in maybe 20 minutes of work.

Weird. I looked in a Gunsmith Catalog and swear the only Varmint Rifle I saw was $225. Which I thought was oddly expensive.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
There is a heck of a lot of stuff in this game you get one shot at without any tutorials. I'm going to restart once my xbonex arrives and try to hit all those white-circle missions before following the story, I'm also treating legendary animals like I'm handling nitrogen.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Feenix posted:

Weird. I looked in a Gunsmith Catalog and swear the only Varmint Rifle I saw was $225. Which I thought was oddly expensive.

nah it's $72

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Feenix posted:

That gunsmith hates you and is begging to be robbed.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Anyone come across this potential glitch thing?
https://twitter.com/Spiteski/status/1058116589785047040?s=19

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
oh my god poor horsey :(

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Bardeh posted:

Is it a bug or by design that meat you cook can only be eaten from the satchel? It seems weird, but maybe they're deemed to good to just munch down in combat like tonics and stuff?

By design.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
New question: Where do I sell herb cooked meats? They're not in the donate menu at Pearson or the tithing box, general store doesn't buy them and neither does the butcher.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

The Walrus posted:

oh my god poor horsey :(

Thankfully she survived but... crispier than before

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box

DarthBlingBling posted:

The bounty hunters can go gently caress themselves. Getting sight of a legendary animal and then blip, no can't see it now as bounty hunters are on their way, isn't a fun mechanic.

Well it seems it not only spooked the animal it spooked it to death. I somehow have the skin but didn't kill it.

Guess it's forever stuck at 66%. Hope it means I still get the outfits...

Creature
Mar 9, 2009

We've already seen a dead horse
I’ve spent way too much time creeping around people’s houses out in the woods with the sack mask on and taking everything they own. I don’t know why you’d spend all that time hunting when you can just steal everyone’s canned vegetables and bits of bread.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

I can't make cool hats and coats out of canned vegetables.

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Creature posted:

I’ve spent way too much time creeping around people’s houses out in the woods with the sack mask on and taking everything they own. I don’t know why you’d spend all that time hunting when you can just steal everyone’s canned vegetables and bits of bread.

flight feathers and animal fat for making stuff, esp. fire arrows and explosive rifle rounds (get both from geese, ducks)

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

i cannot wrap my head around the difficulty people are having with the bounty system. literally just leave the scene of the crime. you have so much time to leave. don’t loving worry about the witness, someone will just wind up seeing you silence the witness and you’re still hosed. but if you just aren’t actively still at the crime scene when the law finally shows up you won’t be caught

it’s literally just that John Mulaney bit about crime in the 30s, except it also applies to crime in the 1800s

https://youtu.be/rmcwqe5-Si0

i don’t think I’ve gotten a bounty once outside of story mandatory ones, and I’ve never bothered with the bandana or anything. my big secret maneuver is to just not actively still be doing a crime when the law shows up

if you’re getting a bounty because a bunch of lawmen actively see you doing a crime, then I mean, yeah

tjones
May 13, 2005

It looks like you fell

into a burning ring of fire.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Alright, the mission in Chapter 6 where (minor objective spoilers) you need to retrieve the sacred items from the army campsite without the soldiers noticing. Just... how in the goddamn hell am I supposed to stealth my way through the camp without anyone getting alerted? I'm gonna assume there's no real penalty for having to gun down all those idiots aside from maybe Rains Fall yelling at you for your incompetence, but I'd like to do this properly and it's just not happening because one of those jerks always spots me when I'm doing a stealth knockout or something.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Nov 1, 2018

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I don't mind the bounties and the hunters, just ain't fun when they lock you out of a trophy kill just because they're in the area

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Is this game really meant for a PS4 Pro or something? I have had this game crash to dashboard more times than any other console game I can remember, and that includes Bethesda Fallout games which always crash. It's getting ridiculous. I have a 2015ish PS4.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
Just turn yourself into a sheriffs building if you want to get rid of a bounty

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Doc M posted:

Alright, the mission in Chapter 6 where (minor objective spoilers) you need to retrieve the sacred items from the army campsite without the soldiers noticing. Just... how in the goddamn hell am I supposed to stealth my way through the camp without anyone getting alerted? I'm gonna assume there's no real penalty for having to gun down all those idiots aside from maybe Rains Fall yelling at you for your incompetence, but I'd like to do this properly and it's just not happening because one of those jerks always spots me when I'm doing a stealth knockout or something.

I'd like to know this too since that's the only way to get gold for it, AND there's a time limit. I was only able to distract one or two but not the main group.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Doc M posted:

Just go in from the right (down the side of the hill) and take the poo poo

Roshambo
Jan 18, 2010
So fishing talk, when I get a fish that pulls the line back out when it struggles am I supposed to hold the R3 button down or just tap it to keep the line from dragging out? I also saw someone say holding R2 during the struggle keeps your line from dragging.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Looks like a feature to me.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yeah of all the real issues this game has with unreliable controls and obtuse systems, accidentally getting bounties isn't really something I'm experiencing - often I'll do poo poo and be surprised to find later that I did not get a bounty when I could have sworn I did. When I do it's because i don't mind, and when this happens it's just a few bucks paid to the telegram office. I'm pretty fast and loose with my casual trail robberies too.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Man I had to pay off like $450+ western buckeroos because of all the gotdang bounties on my head after killing an army of lawmen and bounty hunters across two townships or someshit and now I'm broke as HELL.

I better buckle down and do some story missions or something because I ain't winning any high stakes poker games anytime soon.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Should I wait until christmas to upgrade to xbox one x

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

FlamingLiberal posted:

Is this game really meant for a PS4 Pro or something? I have had this game crash to dashboard more times than any other console game I can remember, and that includes Bethesda Fallout games which always crash. It's getting ridiculous. I have a 2015ish PS4.

I have a ps4 that's also from 2015ish, and have had no problems yet. the console has been left on for over a day countless times, and has been running rdr2 for hours everyday

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Deified Data posted:

Yeah of all the real issues this game has with unreliable controls and obtuse systems, accidentally getting bounties isn't really something I'm experiencing - often I'll do poo poo and be surprised to find later that I did not get a bounty when I could have sworn I did. When I do it's because i don't mind, and when this happens it's just a few bucks paid to the telegram office. I'm pretty fast and loose with my casual trail robberies too.

I still accidentally shoot people sometimes. But I clean up after and get away more often than not.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

JBP posted:

Just go in from the right (down the side of the hill) and take the poo poo
Excellent, thanks. Really helps when you have some idea where the stuff actually is. I still almost hosed that up because I got Arthur got stuck on some barrels as I was leaving. :downs: Also, one guy was glitching out and walking in place, but didn't see me despite looking right at me.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Nolgthorn posted:

Should I wait until christmas to upgrade to xbox one x

I've played about 50 hours on a standard PS4 and maybe 5 hours on a One X and the One X is vastly, vastly better. Don't know what you're upgrading from but I would do it if you can reasonably afford to.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm unfamiliar with the console market, this is my first non-nintendo console. Do these things go on sale regularly or are they immune to black friday sales for example.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Doc M posted:

Excellent, thanks. Really helps when you have some idea where the stuff actually is. I still almost hosed that up because I got Arthur got stuck on some barrels as I was leaving. :downs: Also, one guy was glitching out and walking in place, but didn't see me despite looking right at me.

I spent ages looking in tents and dicking around, then I realised the stuff was just sitting in the ground near the unguarded side :bahgawd:

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm unfamiliar with the console market, this is my first non-nintendo console. Do these things go on sale regularly or are they immune to black friday sales for example.

Retailers will put them on sale at various times for things. Costco was running a $100 off XbonX a couple weeks ago, and Gamestop was running some trade-in deal upgrading S to X

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Mandrel posted:

i cannot wrap my head around the difficulty people are having with the bounty system. literally just leave the scene of the crime. you have so much time to leave. don’t loving worry about the witness, someone will just wind up seeing you silence the witness and you’re still hosed. but if you just aren’t actively still at the crime scene when the law finally shows up you won’t be caught

it’s literally just that John Mulaney bit about crime in the 30s, except it also applies to crime in the 1800s

i don’t think I’ve gotten a bounty once outside of story mandatory ones, and I’ve never bothered with the bandana or anything. my big secret maneuver is to just not actively still be doing a crime when the law shows up

if you’re getting a bounty because a bunch of lawmen actively see you doing a crime, then I mean, yeah

Have you ever tried to rob a train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Mandrel posted:

How dare you judge my Paul manafort role play