Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gharbad the Weak posted:

What're 5e's points for point buy? I think 4d6-drop-1 is equivalent to 32, so I'm guessing less than that

Here's a calculator: http://chicken-dinner.com/5e/5e-point-buy.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

Gharbad the Weak posted:

What're 5e's points for point buy? I think 4d6-drop-1 is equivalent to 32, so I'm guessing less than that

It's 27 point buy, with base stats capping out at 15. It uses the same diminishing returns rule as 3.5, but since you can't buy past 15, it just ends up looking like that last point cost 2 point buy for some reason.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

27 points to spend

score of 8 = 0 points
score of 9 = 1 point
score of 10 = 2 points
score of 11 = 3 points
score of 12 = 4 points
score of 13 = 5 points
score of 14 = 7 points
score of 15 = 9 points

the standard array [15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8] is equivalent to this point-buy, so a customized point buy is simply more or less focused than that [15, 15, 15, 8, 8, 8], or [13, 13, 13, 12, 12, 12], etc.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Toshimo posted:

That's a bingo.

"I wanted the extra Strength."

(now has 15 STR)

:downs:

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Toshimo posted:

• 10ft diagonals

Wait. As in... going to a diagonal square costs 10' of movement? Not even alternating 5-10-5, just... 10'?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Sage Genesis posted:

Wait. As in... going to a diagonal square costs 10' of movement? Not even alternating 5-10-5, just... 10'?

Yes. I do a whole lot of standing around because trying to move past my party to do an action and then get behind them again is basically impossible.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
If he's going to get that picky I would counter that you want to play on a hex grid instead of squares.

This game sounds terrible.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I would recommend finding yourself a new group but I'm still playing with MY lovely (admittedly non-D&D) game soooo

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Toshimo posted:

• Rolled Gold

Well, at least you got pretzels.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I think we are getting to the end of ToA tonight.

Finally, the moment we bust down the door to Acererak's office and DEMAND to speak to his manager.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

kidkissinger posted:

Finally, the moment we bust down the door to Acererak's office and DEMAND to speak to his manager.

How many party members are named Karen?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

DalaranJ posted:

Well, at least you got pretzels.

:five:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Gharbad the Weak posted:

https://anydice.com/articles/4d6-drop-lowest/

Here's the math on 4d6 droplow. Of note is that an ~optimal~ stat array generally requires at least two 15s, which by rolling only happens about 40% of the time.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
That’s better than 5e standard array. Point buy you can get 15s. Still, rolling a 16, 14 is better than 2 15s.

nelson fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Nov 1, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

kidkissinger posted:

https://twitter.com/scumbelievable/status/1051148439407484928

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

I ran a game for six people and let them roll. Half the table got ridiculous rolls with three stats higher than 15 and nothing under 12, and the other half got multiple stats between 8 and 12 and nothing higher than 14. Never again.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

My Human diviner's entire goal is to kill Acererak and become the good lich of the north at this point.

This somewhat clashes with the cleric of Kelemvor and undead hunting ranger in the party.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Also why taking something from the players is an excellent way of getting them to follow a story thread

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
lmao if your table doesnt use a competitive draft for ability scores

so every player at the table rolls four d6s and keeps those dice in front of them as their bonus pool. then the DM builds the draft pool by rolling 7 prospects per player at the table - each is prospect is just 3d6 and with the dice kept together (its important later)

then the DM randomly picks an ability score, and the person to the left of the DM gets to draft a prospect to assign to that ability. you then go clockwise around the table and offer everyone the opportunity to bid on that prospect. to bid, you offer one of your bonus d6s, and it has to be a higher number than any previous bid. once everyone passes on bidding, the prospect is given to the person the highest bidder (or the original picker) who takes that prospect and assigns it to the ability chosen at the start of the draft round. any dice bid in this process are discarded, even if you didn't win the bid. picking continues counterclockwise, skipping any player who previously won a bid, until everyone gets a prospect for that ability score. the DM then randomly picks another ability, and drafting continues starting with the player to the left of whoever went first last time

once every player has assigned a prospect to each of their ability scores, the draft ends. they may then exchange any remaining bonus dice for individual dice within their drafted prospects

clusterfuck
Feb 6, 2004

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I ran a game for six people and let them roll. Half the table got ridiculous rolls with three stats higher than 15 and nothing under 12, and the other half got multiple stats between 8 and 12 and nothing higher than 14. Never again.

Our table rolled and most all have arrays with 3 stats 15+ and nothing under 10.. The results even out if they can roll sets till they get a set they like then assign as they like. It works out averaging equivalent to point buy plus 10 or so more ability points to play with.

It's time consuming to roll legit with DM (you can do it pretty fast on roll20 though) and the outcome isn't random when you reroll up to ten times.

I don't mind the party with average higher arrays but a lopsided party would suck.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I made the 5e recruit thread

Thanks for the help thread

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I hate odd ability scores so if I were DM I’d use a slightly higher standard array of [16, 14, 14, 12, 10, 8]. It would mean more powerful characters but not ridiculously so. Also opens up one ASI for a feat and feats are fun.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

nelson posted:

I hate odd ability scores so if I were DM I’d use a slightly higher standard array of [16, 14, 14, 12, 10, 8]. It would mean more powerful characters but not ridiculously so. Also opens up one ASI for a feat and feats are fun.

Pre-racial 16 heavily favor races with +2 in the relevant score.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Conspiratiorist posted:

Pre-racial 16 heavily favor races with +2 in the relevant score.

It also helps races that have +0 in the relevant score. Either way, I’m not seeing a problem. For the races with odd scores they can pick up a +1 feat at level 4, which is also more fun than just a straight modifier increase.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
For my rangers epic weapon: A bow that allows him to unerringly track whatever it hit for the next 24 hours. Thoughts?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

How often have you ever shot something in D&D and not then had to immediately fight it?

If the answer is "often", then ask yourself "how often would it have helped to be able to know where that thing was, but only for the next day".

If the answer is also "often", then that sounds useful for sure, if you can't already track.

E: it's a cool idea that fits right into the genre, I'm just not sure it'll be something you'll get to use enough to make it worth having over something that you would get to use.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Nov 1, 2018

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

^^^^^^^^^
Well, it's not going to be the ONLY thing, obviously.

It's more of a thing if the bad guy runs away. Although, if he teleports away, it's of limited usefullness, other than being able to draw a straight line extending X miles, and knowing he is somewhere on that line.

DJ Dizzy fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Nov 1, 2018

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ok, but how often do your enemies run away? And have you ever had trouble finding them afterward? From a GM perspective, if a villain runs away, they will reappear. Tracking them might help but there's zero chance the big bad goes "Ahahahaha! Fools! You will never defeat me!" and vanishes in a puff of smoke never to be seen again. There's also zero chance that when they do that, you can catch up to them quickly and easily.

I'm not rubbishing your idea, it's cool and totally in-theme for a ranger and if it'd work in your game then go for it. But talk to your GM too, because you're going to want to be on the same page about how useful that item will be in that game.

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

DJ Dizzy posted:

For my rangers epic weapon: A bow that allows him to unerringly track whatever it hit for the next 24 hours. Thoughts?

It's a cool ribbon if you want something that sounds cool but doesn't actually do too much. And honestly, that's not necessarily a bad thing, depending on how you fill out the rest of the weapon abilities. Pure numbers are nice and strong and all, but nifty poo poo like this helps fill things out into more than just a pile of numbers.

More importantly, it's useful for you as a DM in case you ever want the party to "track" one of your villains into your next set-piece; you can send a Powerful Evil Wizard at the party, have him teleport away before he dies, and woopity scoop I guess the tracks lead you right into his Evil Tower of Occult Evil.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
another thing to consider is that hunter's mark already kinda has Track People Who Run Away tied to it, so if you do go with that maybe roll with enhancing the hunter's mark spell with something meaty and also giving that as a side benefit

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Apply hunters mark on attack?

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

DJ Dizzy posted:

It's already a bonus action, so maybe just give it a free Hunter's Mark per long rest? It'll let the ranger burn their spell slots on more fun poo poo than that.

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
that'd be really powerful for any other class, but honestly the ranger spell kit is kind of a mess and it could use the love so i'd be fine with it

if other players complain, could make it where hunter's mark can be cast as a free action so the ranger still burns a spell slot

lightrook
Nov 7, 2016

Pin 188

DJ Dizzy posted:

Or your existing Hunter's Mark deals 2d6 damage, or maybe even scales with levels (+1d6 for every 5 character levels?). I guess giving your Ranger a free cast of Hunter's Mark or two every day isn't unreasonable either, considering Spells are Fun and Rangers don't get a lot of them.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

mormonpartyboat posted:

if other players complain, could make it where hunter's mark can be cast as a free action so the ranger still burns a spell slot

The rogue gets an assassination teleport, the paladin gets a flaming sentient murdersword, etc. They better not complain :colbert:

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

The only roll method I like is the Heroic Mode version that's popped up here on the forums a few times.

4x4d6 drop lowest, an 18 and an 8.

Everybody has an easy max attack stat, everybody sucks at something, and the rest is flavor. You'll still have a winner and a loser, but in a more flavorful way.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
I gave my ranger at-will hunter's mark and it's fine. They got it most of the time anyway and just never got to do anything else with their slots. There was never a key moment where not having it was cool, she just gets to do her damage.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I gave my ranger at-will hunter's mark and it's fine. They got it most of the time anyway and just never got to do anything else with their slots. There was never a key moment where not having it was cool, she just gets to do her damage.

Thats good to hear, I'm genuinely considering just giving my ranger 1/short rest hunters mark.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Conspiratiorist posted:

https://anydice.com/articles/4d6-drop-lowest/

Here's the math on 4d6 droplow. Of note is that an ~optimal~ stat array generally requires at least two 15s, which by rolling only happens about 40% of the time.

Based on that and using the calculator from above, the (approximate) average of 4d6 drop 1 is a 31 point buy.

It might seem nitpicky about 4 or 5 points on point buy, but it comes up to the whole "The best enhancement to a weapon is +1".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

kingcom posted:

Thats good to hear, I'm genuinely considering just giving my ranger 1/short rest hunters mark.
In my party anyway, she's the only non-full caster, I do feel like I gotta throw her a bone a little. She's definitely their main source of raw damage.