Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
These videos for Blackstone are loving amazing. I had no interest in this product, none. Now after watching these videos everyday I am thirsty AF for more info.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Guy Goodbody posted:

It'll be two new sculpts for BF, but I fully expect that they'll do a box of Khaangors sometime in the near future. Like the Tzaangors, it's one kit they can sell for three armies across the two games.

Aren't Bloodletters already the same thing as a Khaangor?

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Inspector_666 posted:

Aren't Bloodletters already the same thing as a Khaangor?

idk about statwise but Bloodletters are demons, Khanngors would be Khorne worshipping abhuman/mutant beastmen

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Technowolf posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8sGFx_1H4E

Dark Mechanicus? Traitor Guard? (Possible) New Beastmen?

Why can't this be out already?

:10bux: on Slaanesh. Pink, flesh tones, and the gun vaguely looks like the icon

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

idk about statwise but Bloodletters are demons, Khanngors would be Khorne worshipping abhuman/mutant beastmen

Ah, makes sense then. I thought Tzaangors were just demons straight up, not Tzeentch's version of a Poxwalker.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

As someone who's been working on a Tau army for the past few months, I was wondering why does everyone hate Tau?

Have I accidentally picked a powergamer army?

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Captain No-mates posted:

As someone who's been working on a Tau army for the past few months, I was wondering why does everyone hate Tau?

Anime
Shooty
Unfun to play against
Anime

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Best Chapter coming through with a cross-post.

Endman posted:

I painted Captain Severus Agemman of the Ultramarines' First Company:

So much stupid crap happened to this model while I was painting it including dropping it and snapping the halo on the top, discovering that MicroSol dissolves Vallejo's white paint, and putting my dumb fingers on it right after a risky varnish in high humidity.

Very glad to see this one finished.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Captain No-mates posted:

Mostly because they're fun to pick on. Their turns take a very long time and their play style takes a lot of agency away from your opposing players. As someone said, they can be unfun to play against.

However, it doesn't necessarily have to be this way. T'au can look pretty cool, and if you make a fun army most people won't mind playing against you.

What all do you have so far? What kind of force & play style are you going for?

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Captain No-mates posted:

Every single one of their mechanics is designed to make the game as much of a miserable slog as possible for their opponent. I would rather get tabled turn 2 by Dark Eldar than win a 5 turn game against Tau.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Captain No-mates posted:

T'au are usually picked on for their anime style and generally they're a pretty fun and good, but not exceptional army. Their one competitive build in the game right now is EXCEPTIONALLY annoying to deal with, dragging any game against it into a boring slog, even if you're crushing them. They were also pretty dominant through 7th ed so there's a lot of resentment.

Their codex needs an internal balancing, especially with the problematic elements (For the Greater Good and Saviour Protocols) and bringing the underpowered stuff (Crisis Suits, Broadsides, Auxiliaries) up to code.

Generally just avoid spamming Drones and castling your entire army into a single piece of terrain and you won't get people's ire.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

Zuul the Cat posted:

Mostly because they're fun to pick on. Their turns take a very long time and their play style takes a lot of agency away from your opposing players. As someone said, they can be unfun to play against.

However, it doesn't necessarily have to be this way. T'au can look pretty cool, and if you make a fun army most people won't mind playing against you.

What all do you have so far? What kind of force & play style are you going for?

That's a real shame about being unfun, I think the stealth models are some of the coolest GW makes so they were my first choice for coming back to the hobby.

I'm painting them up as Farsight enclaves because the lore is cool so I was planning on getting as many midfield disruption units to support my fully shooty guys.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Captain No-mates posted:

That's a real shame about being unfun, I think the stealth models are some of the coolest GW makes so they were my first choice for coming back to the hobby.

I'm painting them up as Farsight enclaves because the lore is cool so I was planning on getting as many midfield disruption units to support my fully shooty guys.

Stealth suits and Ghostkeel are fine, it's drones and riptide that cause 90% of the problem.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
Thing is more than 50% of the time you see a T'au army they will do the same thing. Castle an wait. It works and they are designed for it.

You could use pirahnas, crisis suits, kroot, the one vespid unit but why outside of pure fluff.

They are an intetesting slice of 40k but getting into a gun fight against them is usually unwise an trying to lock a T'au castle into combat is getting chain ovetwatched. It just goes on and on.

I have played against a guy with pirahnas an the game was far more engaging with them swooping about to flank an junk. But they never did more than the riptides etc.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Captain No-mates posted:

Stealth suits are cool and good and I am very concerned Traktor Kannons are going to make them effectively unplayable but even then they're good for screening and objectives. Fire Warriors en masse can also be a lot of fun. My current T'au list is Vior'la Sept and all the infantry have Pulse Carbines, the idea being to kick this Mont'ka into overdrive with infantry sprinting across the map and vomiting lots of S5 bullets into whatever is closest. Ghostkeels are fun as hell to use but run into potential issues because negative to-hit penalties can be incredibly unfun to play against. Riptides are very good, and they're still okay to play against if you're not turbo-spamming drones. Broadsides aren't great, but they look cool as hell and that's more important.

EDIT: Devilfish are the coolest transport in the game but they're about 20 points overcosted (if not more), and Hammerheads are also cool but Heavy 1 for your big gun means that they're incredibly unreliable. Great candidate for Sa'cea or with Longstrike, but otherwise not very good. Stormsurges are loving garbage and it's a drat shame.

Turbo-spamming drones in general is a lot of what makes T'au unfun to play against, plus the aforementioned voluntarily skipping your movement phase plus taking an extra shooting phase in the middle of your opponent's charge phase. If you play T'au that actually want to move for pretty much any reason and keep the clouds of drones blotting out the sun at home they're much more opponent-fun-friendly.

Farsight Enclaves are unfortunately really garbage, their Sept Tenet is bad even if you do want to move a lot. The Drop Zone Clear stratagem is fluffy as hell and fun to use but actually getting much use out of it requires running lots of Crisis Suits, which are also cool looking but garbage in a big way. It's the great tragedy of the T'au codex. :smith: T'au Sept is really helpful against melee armies but it also feeds directly into anti-fun for your opponent. Vior'la is situational if you build an entire list around it. Bork'an also makes it easier to gunline but in slightly less frustrating fashion than T'au. Sa'cea is really good if you're running lots of big battlesuits or units with 1-4 important shots. Dal'yth is good for keeping your stuff alive in a gunline without making your opponent's life actually more miserable so it's kind of a wash.

There are a couple others but I can't remember what they do off the top of my head, I just remember that they don't grab me and I've never seen them on the other side of the table.

Strobe fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Nov 2, 2018

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Endman posted:

That's really sharp. Looks great!

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Endman posted:

Great looking Captain! Blue is an odd choice for Blood Angels, but you can't argue with those results.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Endman posted:

Easy there, Matthew.

Good looking toilet seat man you have there!

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Broken Record Talk posted:

Easy there, Matthew.

Good looking toilet seat man you have there!

Only the best in bathroom plumbing for the Emperor's Finest.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

There's a reason Khorne has tried to convert the orks. He respects them.

Too bad Mork and Gork called dibs!

Khorne ain't cunning enough for Orks. He's plenty brutal, but he doesn't know when to get all sneaky-like and krump 'em where they ain't looking.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Guilliman sighed as he perched uncomfortably on the Mechanicum's clockwork throne.

This would not do.

Macragge's commodes would be re-made in glorious porcelain.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

For_Great_Justice posted:

Thing is more than 50% of the time you see a T'au army they will do the same thing. Castle an wait. It works and they are designed for it.

You could use pirahnas, crisis suits, kroot, the one vespid unit but why outside of pure fluff.

They are an intetesting slice of 40k but getting into a gun fight against them is usually unwise an trying to lock a T'au castle into combat is getting chain ovetwatched. It just goes on and on.

I have played against a guy with pirahnas an the game was far more engaging with them swooping about to flank an junk. But they never did more than the riptides etc.

This is the worst part. The one thing they're weak against, they punish opponents for capitalizing on by dragging out the turn approximately forever and turning the game into a pointless slog.

It's even annoying in Kill Team.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Liquid Communism posted:

This is the worst part. The one thing they're weak against, they punish opponents for capitalizing on by dragging out the turn approximately forever and turning the game into a pointless slog.

Would it be better or worse if instead of chain overwatch T'au got overwatch at full ballistics skill?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Overwatch should be removed from the game and overwatch as it currently is should be Tau's "thing".

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Floppychop posted:

Overwatch should be removed from the game and overwatch as it currently is should be Tau's "thing".

I feel like it'd be a really bad idea to make an Ork charge literally unpreventable.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Strobe posted:

Would it be better or worse if instead of chain overwatch T'au got overwatch at full ballistics skill?

I'd rather see them able to fall back from charges, honestly. Base it on movement, not create a situation where attacking their weak point turns into an advantage for them.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
Let’s not make one of the snootiest armies in the game impossible to tie up

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Liquid Communism posted:

I'd rather see them able to fall back from charges, honestly. Base it on movement, not create a situation where attacking their weak point turns into an advantage for them.

I like that idea. If it's at all possible to get both Mont'ka and Kauyon working that'd be fantastic (instead of just being something a Commander can do once a game).

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Strobe posted:

I feel like it'd be a really bad idea to make an Ork charge literally unpreventable.

So shoot them in the turn or two it takes them to get up the table.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Floppychop posted:

So shoot them in the turn or two it takes them to get up the table.

Da Jump is a thing that exists. Or deep strike of any kind. I guess if you're redoing the entire game on top of changing Overwatch you could fix that, but that didn't sound like what you were suggesting. :shrug:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Strobe posted:

You're not doing that without directional allocation anyways. They can just pull casualties from wherever.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Strobe posted:

Da Jump is a thing that exists. Or deep strike of any kind. I guess if you're redoing the entire game on top of changing Overwatch you could fix that, but that didn't sound like what you were suggesting. :shrug:

Yeah, and Da Jump is random as hell. If it works, it -should- be effective, and also a reason to place your army such that it has few opportunities to cripple them if it does, rather than just castling up and boring your opponent to death.

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

Liquid Communism posted:

Yeah, and Da Jump is random as hell. If it works, it -should- be effective, and also a reason to place your army such that it has few opportunities to cripple them if it does, rather than just castling up and boring your opponent to death.

I wouldn't call it "random as hell". It's a WC of 7, which is piss easy to get if you put the weirdboy within 10" of 30 models (incredibly easy to do), plus with the new relic from the Ork Codex that gives +1 to psychic tests, you're easily rolling +4 for your casts. You literally have to roll double one's to not have it go off on turn one almost every game.

That said, I've never played against T'au so all reports of their terribleness to play against are second-hand, and I consider myself lucky to have kept it this way.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Safety Factor posted:

You're not doing that without directional allocation anyways. They can just pull casualties from wherever.

It's at least theoretically possible with overwatch, and at least you could do something to thin numbers before hand. Making Da Jump into what is effectively a free charge from whatever unit an Ork player wants with no downsides is bad. It might be slightly more fun bad than getting chain overwatched to death, but it's still bad.

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Overwatch killing all your dudes in the front was the most miserable thing. Keep that buried in the crypt with the rest of the horrors of 7th edition.

I’ve gotten a few games in with genestealer cult, and aside from everything being massively overpriced with an unreliable version of deepstrike, it’s actually pretty fun! A lot more customization than my other stuff, lots of room for conversions, lots of different types of dudes, it’s great. Unfortunately no one in my area knows how to dial it down, so I’m bringing my poor unoptimised Che Guevara slimy boys against dark eldar venom spam and knight soup. It’s making it difficult to decide what direction to take them in when games are over by turn 3.

On the plus side despite being pretty bad, they gently caress up knights like nobody else. Aberrants, Abominants and dudes with drills will tear them to pieces. And then immediately get shot off the board.

Endman
May 18, 2010

Floppychop posted:

I agree with this wholeheartedly. Overwatch is a dumb concession to some kind of 'realism' that shouldn't be in 40k, but I wouldn't mind it being specifically a thing for T'au.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Bring back pie plates with indirect fire.

For_Great_Justice
Apr 21, 2010

JUST CAN'T SHUT THE FUCK UP ABOUT HOW MUCH I HATE GAMES WORKSHOP!
There is no real way to do much about T'au overwatch except to cap it in some manner. I don't know what a fair method would be.

No OW within a certain distance? Maybe no rapid fire in OW? Maybe no rerolls buffs or any other buffs? Make reroll or wound buffs shooting phase only?

Anything either adds rules or stipulations which is the core of what they want to avoid in the first place. In the specific case of T'au with their specific overwatch the best thing may be to remove or replace to OW feature since with the codex they have enough to survive without it or maybe with a 2.0 version to fix crisis suits, broad sides, etc all the other units that are not just sub-optimal they're just awful.

krursk
Sep 11, 2001

Your anguish sustains me.
I picked up my Ork dex today. Now I just need to finish painting 90 evil sunz boyz.

Edit: Was the Weirdboyz Waaagh! Energy capped at 3+ before? I can find my index.

krursk fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

krursk posted:

I picked up my Ork dex today. Now I just need to finish painting 90 evil sunz boyz.

Edit: Was the Weirdboyz Waaagh! Energy capped at 3+ before? I can find my index.

It was uncapped in the index. I like the change since it means i can be looser with my weirdboy's positioning and not have him explode terribly.