Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I was under the impression smartphones were tiny computers?

I mean they do 90% of what my laptop does including word and excel plus I can trawl for casual sex while riding around at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Nude Hoxha Cameo posted:

so unbeknownst to me my parents were antirevisionist mls; intriguing

It's in the 70% range. Congratulations on being special.

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

COMRADES posted:

You know, some of this has to be on parents. It's not anyone's fault but your own if you give your toddler a tablet and ignore them 95% of the day.

Perhaps this would be less of a problem if we gave parents parental leave and childcare and other wonderful things that cost tax money.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

spacetoaster posted:

I think people itt didn't read the part where my kids are in elementary school and middle school before lambasting me as a ludite.

No one is calling you a luddite.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Hell I bet you've never even burned down a textile factory

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Peanut President posted:

Hell I bet you've never even burned down a textile factory

I did.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

KiteAuraan posted:

burner phone for when you need to call your weed guy.

lol just walk into the store

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

EvilJoven posted:

I had this discussion with my dad only he started getting super upset because my sister has children and the thought that they're going to come into adulthood in some sort of dystopian hellscape scares the poo poo out of him. He wants me to have hope for their sake.

We dropped the subject and don't talk about the future anymore.

Which is good because my nephew's are soft as gently caress and they're definitely going to die early on in the first climate changed war that's bad enough that the Canadian government instates mandatory enlistment.

I also had this talk with my dad the other day. I basically ended with us agreeing that shits hosed and the rich are to blame.

I also don’t want to talk about the future with my parents anymore, but it was somewhat theraputic to finally talk to them about it.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Drizvolta posted:

Perhaps this would be less of a problem if we gave parents parental leave and childcare and other wonderful things that cost tax money.

Or if both parents didn't need to work full time.

Yeah, capitalism is a gently caress for sure it is slowly but surely destroying everything.

Marijuana
May 8, 2011

Go lick a dog's ass til it bleeds.

Accretionist posted:

also lol if you don't have a file explorer and terminal on your phone

calm down nerd

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Marijuana posted:

calm down nerd

Fight me irl

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Why don’t you come over here and dick me down

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Sadly the truth is in the middle. Yes you are socially isolating your children if you don't get them smart phones at a young age and also yes smart phones and tablets are destroying humanity and our entire society would be better off if we threw them into the nearest pit

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

EvilJoven posted:

Sadly the truth is in the middle. Yes you are socially isolating your children if you don't get them smart phones at a young age and also yes smart phones and tablets are destroying humanity and our entire society would be better off if we threw them into the nearest pit

:hmmyes:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Accretionist posted:

also lol if you don't have a file explorer and terminal on your phone

I don't because I have a big boy computer with which to do big boy stuff.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

Marijuana posted:

The Sprawl Series by William Gibson (Neuromancer, Count-Zero, and Mona Lisa Overdrive are the main novels) and Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson.

And read the Blue ant trilogy for excellent takes on today's world, also by Willian Gibson.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just lol if your children's social life isn't 100% online.

Zombiepop
Mar 30, 2010
Just lol if you have children.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The correct term is consumers.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

my consumer child has been in their VR enabled sensory depravation tank since 1 mo old and the life contract states they won't be harvested until the old age of 30 so I think they'll come out alright

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Poniard posted:

my consumer child has been in their VR enabled sensory depravation tank since 1 mo old and the life contract states they won't be harvested until the old age of 30 so I think they'll come out alright

Can I bum a kidney?

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Tracer Tong Was Right

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

cakesmith handyman posted:

A chastity belt would be an abstainance arguement, not safe sex.

Can't have unsafe sex if you can't have sex [headtap.gif]

Accretionist posted:

edit: redacted a bad joke.

Smartphones are a big deal, though. When I moved from east coast to west coast, I did everything from pay bills to find an apartment to find a job on my smart phone. Don't wait so long that they turn into 'bad with computers' people.

This is happening on a government level where I live. If you go into an unemployment office there is no longer anyone there to talk to about your problems, they just direct you to a computer where you can search for work online. The most advice they offer is how to layout a resume and how to write a formal cover letter.
I agree with the poster who said smartphone use doesn't actually make people good at using or understanding computers.

My neice is not even 2 years old but can comfortably navigate around apps on a tablet, like bringing up the camera and switching to selfie mode. Smart devices are so successful with consumers because they hide all of the technical poo poo in the background, and only rely on poking at pictures. On that note, there are still people who are amazed when I show them that you can zoom in on, and rotate maps and images by pinching, and that you can do different things by using 2 or 3 fingers on the screen, so afaik there is no encouragement for people to explore what their devices are actually capable of doing (outside of features that are advertised to them).

The stuff about people being unable to actually talk on the phone and deal with communication in real time is very true. I have two younger housemates renting from me at the moment, male and female, both early 20's. The former is a pretty typical gamer - streaming videos, posting memes, and just generally wasting each with no motivation or energy to do anything. His grandmother is paying his rent and contacts me sometimes, because he doesn't answer his phone. The latter had a serious panic attack recently when she left her phone in an uber, she had no idea what to do about getting it back. I had to go online and call the guy for her to organise a time to pick it up because she wouldn't speak to him.

TheMostFrench has issued a correction as of 02:25 on Nov 2, 2018

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
speaking of phones, image upload through the app isn’t working right now and I’m too lazy to go over to Imgur myself, so please use your imaginations and pretend I posted this as a .png screenshot of something. my job gives us a yearly schedule sheet to keep track of days we’ve taken off. it’s mostly a grid with 365 boxes, plus a bit down at the bottom listing our earned paid days off for this year (goes up every year we work here). under that are the rules and conditions for the paper, which are as follows:

quote:

If you lose this card, you have to pay $30 and you lose the paid leave that you haven't taken
This card should be submitted on the 1st of each month along with your attendance card and leave card.
If your leave card isn't submitted or is unsigned, it will be considered unauthorized leave.

we are not allowed to photocopy this paper.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

spacetoaster posted:

The correct term is consumers.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

If you lose this card, you have to pay $30 and you lose the paid leave that you haven't taken 

That can't be legal

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.

StashAugustine posted:

Tracer Tong Was Right

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

It's not every day I see an organization that's more hosed up than the US Army.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

spacetoaster posted:

It's not every day I see an organization that's more hosed up than the US Army.

one of my favorite things about the air force was when someone would blindly rubberstamp a leave request and then freak out because they had to have a really good reason to cancel leave and now there's a hole!!!!!!!! in the schedule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Moridin920 posted:

That can't be legal

It isn’t, but they’re betting we won’t make trouble about it if it comes to that. They also told us we get one freebie re: losing the paper which I think just makes them look like bigger douchebags about it.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Moridin920 posted:

That can't be legal

everything's legal in amerika baby

except being nonwhite

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

ScrubLeague posted:

everything's legal in amerika baby

except being nonwhite

this isn’t in America, to be fair

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Was playing video games today and heard this song again. I think it belongs in this thread. If only because of how accurate it is. What a good game.
https://youtu.be/ZYnDsr8z4iU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

i jjst found this thread existed

fcuk

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The reason I dislike the concept isn’t because it’s training the next generation to be cogs.

It’s because these dang kids and their playmobiles are going to get in my way when I’m just trying to get my own cart down the aisle.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

Shear Modulus posted:

i jjst found this thread existed

fcuk

probably a good thing, its mostly slapfights

if we could get some capitalism.png in here that would be dynamite

this one's from 2011, saved during Occupy Wall Street:

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice